PDA

View Full Version : Rooney said signing Mike Wallace to a long-term contract....

polamalubeast
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
ScottBrown_TribScott Brown

Rooney said signing Mike Wallace to a long-term contract will be one of Steelers' top priorities during offseason.

Steelers are around $25 million over the salary and president Art Rooney II said team may have some tough choices looming based on that.

Rooney on cap: "It's as pretty big an issue as we've had to face."

But Rooney also said that Steelers faced cap issues after lockout and were able to weather them.

Rooney said Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his game to cut down on sacks he takes, especially since he is turning 30 in March.

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/art-rooney-ii-talks-about-roethlisberger-ward-mendenhall-salary-cap-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

salamander
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Good stuff.

On a side note, it's hard to believe Ben is going to be hitting the big 3-0 this year. He's an old man. :chuckle:

zulater
01-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Rooney said signing Mike Wallace to a long-term contract will be one of Steelers' top priorities during offseason.

Steelers are around $25 million over the salary and president Art Rooney II said team may have some tough choices looming based on that.

But Rooney also said that Steelers faced cap issues after lockout and were able to weather them.

Rooney said Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his game to cut down on sacks he takes, especially since he is turning 30 in March.

Shot's been fired across the bow of Ben and Bruce!

Edman
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
The gauntlet's been laid down. Shape up the Offense or else.

BlastFurnace
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Shot's been fired over the bow for Ben and Bruce!

Way to go ArtII !!
Also, great to hear the good news about Wallace!

The cuts will be very interesting.

Chidi29
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Ben needs to make "tweaks". That's the gauntlet?

XxKnightxX
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Thank you and thank you. Guys, we have to start a youth movement. We cannot hold on to aging players for what they have done , but must prepare for the future, we gotta let the young guns play , invest long term in them, allow them to learn on the field instead of on the sidelines. Because we will only set ourselves back for years if we dont start making very hard decisions now.

And as far as Ben, Art Rooney has put his foot down, Youre no longer a schoolyard QB, and that trick is getting old, it may be part of his game, but it cannot be the primary, its like some NFL D coordinators said, their defenses do not engage their coverages until about 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. Nothing against Ben, but he has to realize that his leash will get cut short , Starting with Arians being canned . I am in no way bashing Ben or Arians or headhunting them, but lets be real guys, Watching the Steelers playing offense to me is my brain losing Oxygen from holding my breath too much.

BlastFurnace
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM

When the owner of a company asks you to tweak something, it is more of a mandate than a suggestion.

Edman
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM

When your employer says something like this to shape up your performance, It's probably a good idea that you do so.

We've had drive-killing bonehead sacks and Ben's freelancing (Not the O-Line) ended up getting his ankle destroyed and it's affected his performance since. Ben is getting older. It's time he and Arians started running a coherent offensive scheme instead of running around like headless chickens every offensive drive. It's one thing to have a bad offense due to bad personnel, it's another to be unorganized, sloppy, and inconsistent.

The Steelers Offensive production in 2011 has been the worse since 2003. There's a problem with the offense and it's high time it's been addressed.

Texasteel
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
What I got was they are going to try to sign Mike, and Dans coming home. Thank God to both.

steelerdude15
01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I love the Rooneys.

Count Steeler
01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Pfft. What does he know? :sarcasm:

Chidi29
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
When your employer says something like this to shape up your performance, It's probably a good idea that you do.

We've had drive-killing bonehead sacks and Ben's freelancing (Not the O-Line) ended up getting his ankle destroyed and it's affected his performance since. Ben is getting older. It's time he and Arians started running a coherent offensive scheme.

The Steelers Offensive production in 2011 has been the worse since 2003. There's a problem with the offense and it's high time it's been addressed.

Sure, I bet Ben will work towards that but it certainly doesn't sound like a menancing "Do this or it's the end of the world" ultmatium.

Let's not forget the high level Ben was playing at before the injury. There were even talks of MVP votes at one point.

The line has been addressed. It just keeps falling apart. Difficult for any team to overcome.

polamalubeast
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Shot's been fired across the bow of Ben and Bruce!

Ben must changed his style a bit, but I do not want him to become a captain check down

suitanim
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Hmmmmm...this is like a general saying that, rather than having his troops build DFP's (foxholes), the troops should learn to dance around the bullets.

BUILD THE GODDAMN OFFENSIVE LINE AND YOU QB WON'T HAVE TO RUN FOR HIS LIFE EVERY OTHER PLAY!

Hindes204
01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Hmmmmm...this is like a general saying that, rather than having his troops build DFP's (foxholes), the troops should learn to dance around the bullets.

BUILD THE GODDAMN OFFENSIVE LINE AND YOU QB WON'T HAVE TO RUN FOR HIS LIFE EVERY OTHER PLAY!

THIS!!!!

ALLD
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
It's having a cut and paste O-line that contributes to the majority of problems in the offense. BB also needs to dump it off once in awhile to keep the defense guessing and back on their heels instead of bum rushing our O-line and collapsing it at will.

Edman
01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
It's having a cut and paste O-line that contributes to the majority of problems in the offense. BB also needs to dump it off once in awhile to keep the defense guessing and back on their heels instead of bum rushing our O-line and collapsing it at will.

It would help if they would stop that "running the run the play clock down to 1 before snapping it" tactic. Don't know why we keep doing that.

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
And as far as Ben, Art Rooney has put his foot down, Youre no longer a schoolyard QB, and that trick is getting old, it may be part of his game, but it cannot be the primary, its like some NFL D coordinators said, their defenses do not engage their coverages until about 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.

where in the hell are you getting this mindless propaganda

SteelGhost
01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Ben NEEDS to change, and that change begins with providing him a good OL IMO.

Butch
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
What I got was they are going to try to sign Mike, and Dans coming home. Thank God to both.

YESSS Dan is coming HOME!!! I also read at the end of that article that some coaches may be retiring?!?!? Don't get much of a warm fuzzy on his comments on Hines. I know this will come as a shock to most of you here, but I want Hines to be suited up and playing Steeler Football next year for the Black and Gold. Sorry Zulater.

zulater
01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
YESSS Dan is coming HOME!!! I also read at the end of that article that some coaches may be retiring?!?!? Don't get much of a warm fuzzy on his comments on Hines. I know this will come as a shock to most of you here, but I want Hines to be suited up and playing Steeler Football next year for the Black and Gold. Sorry Zulater.

No need to apologize to me. On some level I want him back too. But with limited roster spots and salary cap considerations factored in I'm not sure how they could make it work? In the end it's not my decision to make. If he decides to come back I hope he has a great camp and proves that this year wasn't reflective of how much game he has left. I'd love to see Hines come back and catch about 50 passes, if he can earn that 3rd or 4th receiver spot.

Butch
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
No need to apologize to me. On some level I want him back too. But with limited roster spots and salary cap considerations factored in I'm not sure how they could make it work? In the end it's not my decision to make. If he decides to come back I hope he has a great camp and proves that this year wasn't reflective of how much game he has left. I'd love to see Hines come back and catch about 50 passes, if he can earn that 3rd or 4th receiver spot.

LOL just havin' some fun with ya' Zu. I think it goes without sayin' but I'm a huge Hines Ward fan and will defend him to the ends of the earth!!! Imagine that...LOL.

Hope he comes back again next year as well and gets more than a few more targets as well. Hard to get into any kind of a rythem with your QB when you only get a couple passes per game. Yes he got more the last game but that was more of a let's get him to 1,000 and then move on.

Keeping fingers crossed that all goes our way and Hines is back again next year!!!

ShutDown24
01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Good, lock Wallace up.

pepsyman1
01-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Obviously the line needs to be improved, but at the same time Ben is asking and expecting too much sometimes. Ben is frequently back there at 5,6 seconds looking downfield for someone to throw the ball too instead of just taking the check down receiver. Every time the Steelers are on national TV they make a point of replaying plays and counting how many seconds the defenders have to stay on the receivers because of Ben. I don't want to take the playmaking away from Ben, but he's got to start using some better judgement and Arians needs to design some of his scheme around more slants or shorter passes so Ben has more legitimate choices to unload the ball.

pepsyman1
01-18-2012, 02:34 AM

Obviously the line needs to be improved, but at the same time Ben is asking and expecting too much sometimes. Ben is frequently back there at 5,6 seconds looking downfield for someone to throw the ball too instead of just taking the check down receiver. Every time the Steelers are on national TV they make a point of replaying plays and counting how many seconds the defenders have to stay on the receivers because of Ben. I don't want to take the playmaking away from Ben, but he's got to start using some better judgement and Arians needs to design some of his scheme around more slants or shorter passes so Ben has more legitimate choices to unload the ball.

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
The line has been addressed. It just keeps falling apart. Difficult for any team to overcome.

Thank you for saying this. I was beginning to think I was the only Steelers fan left who doesn't want the team to draft Offensive Linemen in all seven rounds of April's draft. A lot of people like to pretend that the first rounder spent on Pouncey and the second spent on Gilbert never happened.

Count Steeler
01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Thank you for saying this. I was beginning to think I was the only Steelers fan left who doesn't want the team to draft Offensive Linemen in all seven rounds of April's draft. A lot of people like to pretend that the first rounder spent on Pouncey and the second spent on Gilbert never happened.

That was only a beginning. Even if our starting O Line from the first game of this season remained in tact, I would still be clamouring for an upgrade. Not all 7 picks, mind you, but at least 1. We need to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage.

katmandu
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
BUILD THE GODDAMN OFFENSIVE LINE AND YOU QB WON'T HAVE TO RUN FOR HIS LIFE EVERY OTHER PLAY!x2!

katmandu
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you for saying this. I was beginning to think I was the only Steelers fan left who doesn't want the team to draft Offensive Linemen in all seven rounds of April's draft.

A lot of people like to pretend that the first rounder spent on Pouncey and the second spent on Gilbert never happened.Sorry, that's obviously where the greatest needs are.

mortgageman
01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I read that they will be moving Gilbert to LT and start Colon at RT. I think Colon can play pretty well at the RT spot as well as Gilbert at LT. That means 3 of the 5 spots will be in good shape. Most things i read by draft "gurus" have us taking a guard in the first round. If we do, that player will likely start for us. Our oline should be in decent to good shape next year. As others have said, Ben does need to learn to throw the ball to his RBs a little more. I think a big need that no one really talks about is getting an athletic TE. Heath is a great blocker with reliable hands, but the NFL has become a league where the TEs are crucial. I think having that will allow Heath to stay in more as a blocking TE which will help the line out. I also think we need to draft more DBs. This league is becoming a pass dominated game, so we need to have the players to stop those passing attacks. That 92 yard drive just keeps sticking in my head as to why we need more dbs.

GodfatherofSoul
01-18-2012, 10:20 AM
It would help if they would stop that "running the run the play clock down to 1 before snapping it" tactic. Don't know why we keep doing that.

Burning the clock to reduce the opposing offense's opportunities. Part of the ball control strategy. Of course, you let the clock get too low and the QB doesn't have time to play with the snap count. That's the trade-off.

GodfatherofSoul
01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, the front office won't be the ones dictating Wallace's salary. It'll be the offers he gets on the free market, unless he takes a homer deal. Maybe I'm not understanding NFL contracts, but I don't see not one of 31 other teams dropping a huge deal on him that we can't match.

suitanim
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm primarily concerned about improving run blocking. This is obviously a pass-first league now, and we are always going to be in some obvious passing formations, so certainly upgrading that aspect is important, too, but I just think that upgrading our run blocking will force teams to respect the run more than they do now, which will in turn open up myriad passing opportunities via play-action, which will also turn around and make teams respect our passing game more as well. It's all inter-related. We have a poor offensive line. It is arguably the most glaring and obvious weakness on the team.