PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Thought: Trade Rashard Mendenhall?

stillers4me
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Picture yourself as Kevin Colbert. Fresh off a painful and shocking loss to Denver, you're now sitting at your office desk preparing to initiate operation "Geezer Dump." Jerseys with numbers 86, 51, and 91 are being put into the "Do Not Use" commemorative closet, while you toss an occasional dart at a poster of Tim Tebow. As your eyes scan the payroll, stopping and double-taking at the names Kemoeatu, Chris, and McFadden, Bryant and their respective salaries, you pause for a moment at the name Mendenhall. You immediately feel a pang of sympathy for the young man and envision him hobbling around his house as he attempts to recover from the torn ACL. You are about to break for lunch and text Kemoeatu that to make things interesting, the only way he gets his '11 salary is if he can protect it from a blitzing 4 year-old (money well saved), when you are struck with inspiration. Quickly you call up Mike Tannebaum, GM of the hapless New York Jets, and make an offer involving your wounded ball carrier..........

Read more: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/14/2700766/pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-offseason-ashard-mendenhall

Chidi29
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm not against the idea while the value is right. But it isn't now. His stock has taken a nose-dive after the torn ACL. Who is going to pony up even a 2nd rounder (as the article suggests) for a guy coming off such a severe injury?

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Lol, can we even get a 3rd? And who's to say we'll hit on that pick...

BlastFurnace
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
He's basically untradable at this point for anything decent.

He's a FA after next year and he probably won't play most of the season in 2012. What value could he possibly bring in return?

GBMelBlount
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Good thing we took him instead of an offensive line man.

He sure was a great value.... :grin:

SteelerFanInStl
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
He's basically untradable at this point for anything decent.

He's a FA after next year and he probably won't play most of the season in 2012. What value could he possibly bring in return?

I agree. Quite frankly, it's a dumb article.

tube517
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Even without the ACL injury, they probably would've let him walk in free agency.

Count Steeler
01-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd expect these kinds of articles after the Super Bowl and before the draft. You know, those days when nothing of significance is going on and the all the foolish ideas get floated.

No way anyone is interested in a freshly torn ACL.

Iron Steeler
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
If we could trade for good value, om all for it! Frankly om not a fan of mendy guys tip tors be hind the line and I don't like the kids demeanor off the field

Count Steeler
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
If we could trade for good value, om all for it! Frankly om not a fan of mendy guys tip tors be hind the line and I don't like the kids demeanor off the field

Hey Iron, little tipsy are we?

BigNastyDefense
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Right now, there isn't much value for him, he had a bad season and tore his ACL at the end of it....we probably couldn't get a 7th rounder for him.

Iron Steeler
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey Iron, little tipsy are we?

Haha I wish. Trying to type on this Damn droid ! U get my point though right?

steelerdude15
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
He isn't leaving the Steelers.

Steeldude
01-16-2012, 01:29 AM
how is it crazy? i would have put him up for trade before the injury though. the guy has never lived up to his draft status/rank. i was against the pick. the steelers didn't need a RB. they certainly didn't need one from a spread option and afraid to take a hit.

Steeldude
01-16-2012, 01:31 AM

you are such a hater :wink02:

pepsyman1
01-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Well, the good news is that most of us fans will probably get what we want in the running game next year...Redman will end up being the number one back. As hard as he hits the whole I'll bet he averages over 4 yards a carry regardless of who we have on the line.

Count Steeler
01-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Point made and agree.

suitanim
01-16-2012, 05:56 AM
I remember getting crucified for suggesting that we trade Parker right before he got injured. We did not, and ended up getting nothing of value for him, not even another productive season.

The window has closed on this idea. The best we can hope for is a 100% recovery.

Texasteel
01-16-2012, 06:38 AM

I wanted a lineman that year as well, hell I've wanted a lineman every year for the last 5 years, but I can understand the pick. The team saw their lead runner starting to wear down, and a player that was thought to be a top 15 talent was available at the end of the 1st round. Did it turn out that way, maybe, maybe not, but the team doesn't have the luxury of looking back 3 or 4 years later and say, "We decided not to make that pick"

GBMelBlount
01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
I wanted a lineman that year as well, hell I've wanted a lineman every year for the last 5 years, but I can understand the pick. The team saw their lead runner starting to wear down, and a player that was thought to be a top 15 talent was available at the end of the 1st round. Did it turn out that way, maybe, maybe not, but the team doesn't have the luxury of looking back 3 or 4 years later and say, "We decided not to make that pick"

We are indeed kindred spirits in regards to our unhappiness with the line being so overlooked the last 5 years Tex.

However, while I think the Steelers have done well with the BPA strategy...

If you have SERIOUS problems in one area (i.e. offensive line), BPA is not always the best approach....

and with a good line, running backs and quarterbacks can perform much better.

steelreserve
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'm sure other teams will be all over the idea of trading for a guy who just suffered a career-altering injury. Maybe we could sell them a racehorse with four broken legs while we're at it.

I agree with the idea that we need to start looking for another solid RB in addition to Redman, because Mendenhall probably isn't going to be fully healthy for most of next year, and there's no guarantee he'll be able to play at the NFL level at all.

Moose
01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I agree with all here....I just don't see us getting anything for him, especially because of the ACL. I'm not a big fan of Mendy to begin with, his style of running just doesn't do it for me. You just can't pick up any big yards running side to side, or straight up middle all the time. I know you are supposed to follow your blockers, but sometimes you have to side step and make a path of your own, which he seldom does. Plus, once an ACL on RB, always an ACL.

O'Malley
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
This would be a great place to cut the fat, with the running backs on the roster right now I don't really see the need to keep him.. Then again he never really won a spot in my heart as a Steelers type running back.. Redman has, I also think Clay and Batch will be special... That is three backs right there... No need to keep a tap dancer on the roster..

SMR
01-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Imagine both being tipsy AND using the droid!

:D

Psycho Ward 86
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I like Redman over Mendenhall at this point, but it seems like nobody is rooting for Mendenhall. He CAN come back better than ever. Just look at Wes Welker :jawdrop2:

tube517
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
This would be a great place to cut the fat, with the running backs on the roster right now I don't really see the need to keep him.. Then again he never really won a spot in my heart as a Steelers type running back.. Redman has, I also think Clay and Batch will be special... That is three backs right there... No need to keep a tap dancer on the roster..

Dwyer too. I hope Mendy can come back better than ever but with that type of injury and the OL, I have doubts.

O'Malley
01-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Dwyer too. I hope Mendy can come back better than ever but with that type of injury and the OL, I have doubts.

I was just thinking about Dwyer.. Good post! IMO there is no real need to keep Mendy on the roster.. He had flashes of greatness but over all he has been a tap dancer, since the Ray Lewis hit.

The Duke
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I like Redman over Mendenhall at this point, but it seems like nobody is rooting for Mendenhall. He CAN come back better than ever. Just look at Wes Welker :jawdrop2:

that's an interesting way to look at it. Some guards and a good recovery could revitalise his career and take it to another level

He's sticking with us next season, he's cheap. If he doesn't get back to what he was he simply won't be resigned in 2013

GBMelBlount
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm not against the idea while the value is right. But it isn't now. His stock has taken a nose-dive after the torn ACL. Who is going to pony up even a 2nd rounder (as the article suggests) for a guy coming off such a severe injury?

It is always fun to window shop but this 2nd post pretty much wraps it up with a nice bow.

ShutDown24
01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Mendenhall's value to this team is greater than his value as trade bait after the injury. I don't see how there is much to think about here.

Iron Steeler
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I wish we knew isaac redman was this good earlier. We could shopped mendenhall when he was tweeting about 9/11 . But now we really have no leverage in a trade. Unless the jets are stupid enough to bite.

suitanim
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
If you think about it, we have some depth at the position: Redman, Dwyer, Moore(?), Clay, Barron Batch, Mendy(?). I expect they'll use a later draft round on another RB, but it's possible that even if Mendy is never 100% again we'd survive with what we already have...