PDA

View Full Version : Former Aggie QB Jerrod Johnson Signs Future Contract with Pittsburgh Steelers

Steeldude
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10833305

great, another dixon :frusty: why don't the steelers go after real QBs?

Pittsburgh is a great fit for Johnson, as the Steelers have had success in the past with dual-threat quarterbacks

what? they have had no success with dual-threat QBs. running QBs struggle in the NFL. when will the steelers pull their heads out and realize it?

polamalubeast
01-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I do not care, especially since we had Ben Roethlisberger in the team.

If the backup QB is not bad as Curtis Painter, the Steelers will be okay

The Duke
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
TC Arm, nothing more nothing less. Likely just replacing Dixon on the offseason roster because he wants a chance to start (LOL)

we need a real backup this offseason

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10833305

great, another dixon :frusty: why don't the steelers go after real QBs?

what? they have had no success with dual-threat QBs. running QBs struggle in the NFL. when will the steelers pull their heads out and realize it?

I would rather they get a guy this way than spend a draft pick on him like they did Dixon and waste the pick. There were guys like Barry Richardson, Carl Nicks, Peyton Hillis, Owen Schmidtt that would have contributed at a position of need, but instead they drafted Dixon in the 5th.

steelreserve
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Uh ... we already had lots of backup QBs who weren't as bad as Painter, and we weren't OK by any stretch of the imagination. Probably the #1 position other than maybe nose tackle where we need to get better.

Steeldude
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM

with the amount of times BR has been injured you should care. if the backup is a joke then BR will have to play injured in lesser games. how has dixon been? do you think he is better than painter?

Steeldude
01-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I would rather they get a guy this way than spend a draft pick on him like they did Dixon and waste the pick. There were guys like Barry Richardson, Carl Nicks, Peyton Hillis, Owen Schmidtt that would have contributed at a position of need, but instead they drafted Dixon in the 5th.

i agree. i would rather get a free agent too, but i think they could do a lot better than picking up another spread option QB

7willBheaven
01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11758-Offseason-pickups-begin

steelreserve
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
with the amount of times BR has been injured you should care. if the backup is a joke then BR will have to play injured in lesser games. how has dixon been? do you think he is better than painter?

Painter has zero career wins and a 60 passer rating in extensive action. So yes, Dixon is better than him. Problem is, that's still not good enough.

tube517
01-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Exactly

polamalubeast
01-15-2012, 01:33 PM

At worst, resign Batch

Count Steeler
01-15-2012, 05:59 PM
They have to get a legitimate backup and possible replacement for Ben in the future. Would be nice if lefty could stay healthy, but he is fragile. If Garrard is available, I wouldn't mind him as a backup.

stillers4me
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
They have to get a legitimate backup and possible replacement for Ben in the future. Would be nice if lefty could stay healthy, but he is fragile. If Garrard is available, I wouldn't mind him as a backup.
We thought Charlie was fragile, too. But he handled himself just fine.

Gerrard is recoviering from a back injury. That's not fragile?

Count Steeler
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
We thought Charlie was fragile, too. But he handled himself just fine.

Gerrard is recoviering from a back injury. That's not fragile?

Didn't know he was injured. Thought he was cut by the Jags in preseason.

Yeah, just checked NFL.com. No thanks on Garrard.

Chidi29
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Pittsburgh, please do not draft a QB. Waste of a draft pick. If you're looking for a backup, sign a vet instead of trying to spend time/effort in grooming a backup quarterback.

LLT
01-16-2012, 09:21 AM
2012 Free Agent QB's

Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR)
Kyle Orton (DEN)
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Matt Flynn (GB)
David Garrard (FA)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Drew Brees (NO)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Alex Smith (SF)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted

X-Terminator
01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Kyle Orton or Matt Flynn, please.

salamander
01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
2012 Free Agent QB's

Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR)
Kyle Orton (DEN)
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Matt Flynn (GB)
David Garrard (FA)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Drew Brees (NO)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Alex Smith (SF)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted

Seeing as how we're only looking for a back-up, there are some pretty good names on that list.

O'Malley
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Kyle Orton or Matt Flynn, please.

Matt Flynn would be a great backup, but he will be picked up as a starter..

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Wouldn't mind Jason Campbell. 61% completion percentage, has more than enough experience, and should be cheap coming off the injury.