PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler: Still Playing the Waiting Game with the Steelers

stillers4me
01-15-2012, 08:21 AM
As I discussed (http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/11/lebeau-and-arians-returning-my-misgivings/) in my last post, legendary Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau will be returning to the Steel City in 2012. In the spirit of continuity and the yearly reading of “T’was the Night Before Christmas” (kudos Dave (http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/11/lebeau-and-arians-returning-my-misgivings/)), the move itself makes sense.

Nevertheless, one of the first things which popped into my head when I read that LeBeau would be back in 2012 was the following: Will longtime Linebackers Coach & “D-Coordinator in Waiting” Keith Butler stay with the organization long enough to realize his chance to assume the Defensive Coordinator role? Thus, I thought it would be nice to discuss Keith Butler’s career with the Steelers up to this point, why he is an ideal candidate for the job, and his current situation “playing the Waiting Game.”

Keith Butler: A Fantastic Resume (2003-Present):
If you were to list the Top 3 LB Coaches in the League right now, you’d be hard pressed to name two, if not one, that has done a better job than Keith Butler during his 9 seasons with the Steelers...........

read more : http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/14/keith-butler-still-playing-the-waiting-game-with-the-steelers/#more-11801

Count Steeler
01-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Still think it was time for Lebeau and Arians to move on (retire). I was not impressed with the overall lack luster play on both sides of the ball. While we had the number 1 passing defense, we lacked intensity, turnovers and pressure. We just did not have a game changing defense this year.

Our offense, well, much can be laid at the feet of injuries, but just don't see Arians taking advantage of other teams. OK, blame execution. Then why aren't the players executing? Are they all idiots? Is the offense too complex? The dropped passes, especially by Wallace, also has me concerned.

Shoes
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
As I said somewhere else Lebeau should retire and hand the mantle over to Keith Butler.....it's time imo.

SMR
01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
As I said somewhere else Lebeau should retire and hand the mantle over to Keith Butler.....it's time imo.

I agree. While we had a great defense this year, Lebeau showed a bit of his lack of flexibility with the defense during some of the games we should have won. Lebeau is just too stubborn and does not make enough adjustments when needed at times. That hurt us too.

smokin3000gt
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Dick should retire. We can't have ANOTHER year of the #1 defense in the league. That shit is getting old! :sarcasm2:

Shoes
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Dick should retire. We can't have ANOTHER year of the #1 defense in the league. That shit is getting old! :sarcasm2:

.....and what a classy way to go out.... imo

suitanim
01-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Every time we lose a game, suddenly LeBeau should retire?

Thank CHRIST we have the sane and sound of mind FO we do...who obviously do NOT listen to their fans!

smokin3000gt
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
.....and what a classy way to go out.... imo

1) Who said he wants to go out?

2) We need him now more then ever with many of our defensive vets reaching the end of their contracts/careers.

3) Everyone calling for his retirement will be the first ones complaining when our defense falls off the charts and the new guy tries to replicate 50years experience (which there is no substitute for, I can assure you).

Shoes
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Every time we lose a game, suddenly LeBeau should retire?

Thank CHRIST we have the sane and sound of mind FO we do...who obviously do NOT listen to their fans!

1) Who said he wants to go out?

2) We need him now more then ever with many of our defensive vets reaching the end of their contracts/careers.

3) Everyone calling for his retirement will be the first ones complaining when our defense falls off the charts and the new guy tries to replicate 50years experience (which there is no substitute for, I can assure you).

Suit & Smokin, I'm very confident and happy with the FO's decisions. I'm happy for every winning season...even the one's when we didn't make the playoffs. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything I wrote about dumping a coach for losing a game. My feelings about Dick retiring are the same for Hines......that they go out in a graceful way. That's all. I think it can be very hard for some of these folks to know when "its time" after being in the spotlight for so long. Nothing we say here, no matter how right we think we are is going to change how the Steelers do business. I've been through enough in life to let a football forum rule my emotions.