PDA

View Full Version : Week 18 Thoughts - Broncos vs Steelers

Chidi29
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Obviously not the way you want to go out (as if there was a way). Lot to write so let's get into it.

First Half

- Kickoffs: 4.23 (-8, TB), 3.90 (OZ), 4.22 (OZ), 4.02 (OZ), 3.93 (-8, TB), 4.19 (-4), 4.40 (OZ). A strong end of the year performance for Suisham though no doubt helped by playing in Denver.

- Cotchery again the upback on kick returns. Not that we had any.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Kemoeatu, Legursky, Foster, Gilbert

- On the 33 yard pass to Miller on the first drive, we again fail to pick up the TE stunt and Ayers gets a clean shot on Ben. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ayers_stunt.png

- Madison/Lewis starting gunners and jammers.

- Let's not forget how crucial of a 3rd down drop Cotchery had one the second drive. Beautiful play call too vs on coverage. Heath looking to run down seam naturally picks CB covering Cotchery, running a slant. Play was against Cover 1 with safety to the far hash and away from where Cotchery would have made the catch. Was a lot of green ahead of him.

- Hampton's injury occured on second play of the game. Blocked by Walton, looks like his left knee gets caught in the ground.

- Used some tight/bunch sets early in the game to get the ball to Heath in the flats.

- Nice example of Ben's maturity from a mental standpoint. Uses hard count to get Broncos to tip their hand at a run blitz/stack the box look. Checks out of the play to fade to Wallace. Pass falls incomplete but still a good idea. Pictures of the pre and post hard count.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/pre_hardcount.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/post_hardcount.png

- Added wrinkle to the screen game. 4x1 set, looks like screen (had a 4x1 set earlier and ran a quick screen). Pump to backside "Z" receiver. WR on strongside, Ward in this case, fakes screen off the snap and then breaks to a slant. Pass was incomplete but again, another good idea and a good way to keep defenses honest.

- Some special team positions to run through on kick coverage. Madison at L4, Sly L3, Will Allen L2, Cromartie-Smith L1, Foote R1, Battle R2, Worilds R3.

- Too bad Wallace couldn't hang onto the 52 yard almost-catch. Perfect time for the post vs Cover 2. "Z" receiver Brown runs a 9 to widen out the SS and the MIKE has no chance of catching up to Wallace.

- Foote came into the game with 13:00 left in 2nd.

- Saw Clark talking to Troy after second long catch by Thomas.

- Tebow QB draw for a TD. Lot to look at. Broncos line up in a 3X1 formation with a TE standing up on the three side with us in our 2-4-5 nickel. Key player I want to look at is Larry Foote. Here he is lined up initially.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote1.png

But seeing the empty alignment, he widens outside the hashes at the last second.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote2.png

This gives enough room for WR Matt Willis to block Foote instead of one of the lineman (RT or pulling guard) having to do it, letting the lineman get to the 2nd level no problem and block Troy out of the play. Picture of Willis' block on Foote to the left of your screen.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote3.png

- David Johnson was absloutely blasted by DJ Williams one on attempt. Knocked on his butt.

- Obvious Ben's ankle was in really bad shape, for the moment at least, after the sack the play before the interception. He took an old school drop where you don't open your hips and just drop straight back.

- David Johnson logging a few snaps as the 3rd down back due to depth issues at RB.

- Looked like there was a silent snap count on punts; Mundy would wave his arm to Kapinos to let him know of the snap.

- Ben throwing the ball away with :40 left in the half. The play where some and at the time, me, said he should have checked it to Heath. Looking at it again, there was a LB closing fast on Heath so it's understandable to float that one to the sidelines.

- That was Starks' final play too. I think I heard that he got hurt a few plays prior. I'm no Starks fan but he sure is a tough cookie. Played snaps after hurting his neck last year too before finally being taken out.

Second Half

- Yet another illegal substitution penalty. Probably our 3rd/4th on the road this year.

- Another screen wrinkle. Fake screen to the "X", block/release screen across the field to Heath.

- Did look like the hit on David Johnson that was initally flagged and then picked up was clean. Hit him at the top of the chest which is legal.

- I've said it before. Antonio Brown is one of the quickest 0-60 guys I've ever seen.

- Redman's 33 yard TD run down to the one. Again had David Johnson's blocking used as window dressing. Blocks the opposite side off tackle and the MIKE 'backer Mays (#51) follows him. That combined with the counter by Redman doesn't let Mays fill the gap Redman is running to and while he gets a shot at making the tackle, doesn't have the time to get square and Redman runs through him. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Maysfooled.png

Did this earlier on a 3rd and 2 conversion we picked up.

- David Johnson and Heath had huge blocks to seal edge on Wallace's TD, letting him walk in.

- Ziggy Hood saved us a touchdown and even the opportunity to go to OT on the first play of the 4th quarter. Read option by Tebow. Hood somehow able to change directions quickly enough after initally stepping to the back to close open gap and force Tebow to go east/west long enough until help arrived.

- Cam Heyward showing brute strength, pulling Lance Ball down with just one arm.

- One on delay of game penalty (was called offsides by Sanders but playclock had gone down to zero), it doesn't look like we broke the huddle until there were :13 left. Leaves us very little time to declare fronts and make all the needed pre-snap adjustments.

- Kudos to Suisham for his 3/3 performance. Did help all his kicks were from the right hash.

- Lots of credit to Heyward and Mundy for coming from the backside to make the tackle/force the fumble of McGahee that let us tie the game.

- Fairly obvious post was coming to Wallace on Bailey's near INT. Motioned him to a narrow split without him getting lined up and set. The single high safety was playing up but running a post vs Cover 1/3 isn't a great idea, especially when you're a bit limited by the end zone.

- Big, big credit goes to Ramon Foster on the Cotchery TD. Helps out Gilbert by knocking the DE to the ground, letting Ben step up and make the throw. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Fosterblock.png

- Sanders' catch on the final drive. Faked WR screen to Wallace, DB on Sanders slows up and it's more than enough to let Sanders get a step on him. Makes a nice catch, too.

- Another delay of game. With just a few seconds left on the playclock, we're not even on the line yet. Unacceptable, especially coming out of a timeout where we have ample time. On the last drive of regulation with a chance to win the game, it's disgusting. Picture, check the playclock and the fact that Brown and Wallace are still jogging to their spots.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/LateBreak.png

- For what it's worth, and not much because I don't want to sound like a whiner because the loss is completely our fault, Champ Bailey did run onto the field and down the sidelines on Thomas' game-winning TD. Technically illegal and I *think* would have negated the TD.

- Legursky didn't get any sort of push in the run game, constantly being blown back. Did have the balky shoulder so I realize that's part of the equation. Almost all of his bad snaps came from having a DT lined up over him.

- All the credit in the world to Hood, Heyward, and McClendon for basically playing the entire last three quarters and still shutting down the Broncos' rushing attack. Especially to Heyward and McClendon, guys that never play that much. And to still show the hustle/extra effort they did is outstanding.

- Maybe I underestimated the loss of Clark, even though I knew it was a big loss. It looked like Troy was helping out Mundy quite a bit as to where he should line up.

- Shocked we gave up as much chunk yardage as we did. Never happens to us. Just shocking.

Sacks

- 2nd and 7, 9:56 left in 2nd. 21 personnel. Playaction. Broncos bring four. Starks put on his butt by Ayers and Ayers runs into Ben to bring him down. Really embarassing for Max though I do want to throw out two cavaets. I don't know exactly when Max was hurt. Maybe he was prior. He was still bull rushed bad without this, but he seemed to have completely lost his footing after he was tripped by Redman. Picture of Max in mid-air, the last thing you want to hear about your offensive lineman doing.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Starksrushed.png

- 1st and 10, 7:23 left in 4th. 12. Broncos rush 4. Bunkley rips away from Legursky and brings Ben down. Steelers kept six on the play, ugh.

- 1st and 10, 1:37 left in 4th. Empty set. Broncos rush 5. Miller starts the speed rush vs Gilbert and then stops and turns after seeing Ben steup up and slide to his right. Broncos solid in coverage on the play, too.

- 1st and 10, :29 left in 4th. 10 with Miller in backfield. Three man rush. Dumervil splits LG/C on TE stunt. Gets a finger on the ball and knocks it away, recovered by Ben. Manny Sanders said that it was the perfect play against the look they wanted and would have gained 15-20 yards, putting us well within FG range. Again, lack of communication on a simple three man rush with one stunt throws us for a loop. Unbelieveable.

- 4th and 14, :03 left. 10. Broncos bring four with safety on coverage/blitz read on back. Ayers lined up over Doug pre-snap, swims past Legs, and brings Ben down.

Sack Counter (Game)

Doug Legursky: 2.5
Max Starks: 1
Marcus Gilbert: .5
Chris Kemoeatu: .5
Coverage: .5

Documentation

FB:15
Pony: 0
Empty: 15

Chidi29
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Obviously, we're all shocked at the effectiveness of the Broncos' pass offense and the huge gains we gave up. That in mind, I went back and looked at every throw Tebow had.

1. 3rd/7, 9:55 left in 1st. 11, shotgun. 2x2 with TE standing up. Amoeba defense, only Ziggy down. Five man rush. Cross stunt with Keisel and Ziggy. Comeback skips into the ground, INC.

2. 2nd/12, 7:04. 12, shotgun, back right. vs 34. Rush 4. Tebow scrambles to left, looks deep for Rosario but just misses. Rosario got behind Troy on the wheel, Troy opened up and tried for the INT but mis-timed it. Poor throw is what stood inbetween an incompletion and huge gain.

3. 3/12, 6:52. Empty vs nickel. Swing pass to Decker. Worilds comes from backside to make tackle about four yards shy of the marker.

4. 2/12, 15:00 left in 2nd. 20, shotgun vs 34. Dig to Decker, broken up by Harrison's low hit on him. We rushed four, dropped James (obviously).

5. 3/12, 14:56. 20, shotgun vs nickel. Steelers rush 4. Troy is deep safety, a good 25 yards back. Timmons bails to hook zone right before snap. CBs both in off coverage. Picture of formation pre-snap.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/firstdeepball.png

We have Tebow's first read taken away beautfiully. His first look is to Decker on a curl. Troy probaby knows that pre-snap because he motion Mundy there before the snap. Mundy literally didn't have to move in that Cover 4 type look (where one safety plays mediium depth). Thomas starts his route on a 15 yard curl and then seeing Tebow scramble, runs a streak. Tebow throws it on the money to Thomas.

I know a lot of people want to blame Ike, but it was a scramble drill and is very tough to cover that long. From snap until throw is just under six seconds. From snap to catch is 8.73 seconds. That is an eternity for a cornerback to cover anyone. Someone is bound to get open and that's what happened.

6. 2/9, 13:35. 10, shotgun vs 34. Rush 4, Woodley drops. Cover 1/3 look with single high safety. Nine route to Royal for the TD. Gay did look a little tight flipping his hips but credit goes to Tebow who looked off the safety and corner and put the ball on the money to Royal. The coverage by Gay wasnt that bad. Just a good throw.

7. 2/7 12:18. Weak I vs 34. PA. Rush 5. Inverted Cover 2 look. PCP (post, corner, post) route by Thomas does what it is designed to do. Turns Ike in circles. Turns into pitch and catch for Thomas and Tebow at that point.

8. 1/10, 9:14. 11 vs 34. Rush 5. Willis down the seam, broken up by Troy in end zone. Roughing passer on Harrison.

9. 2/GL, 8:28. Empty vs Nickel. Flare to Royal, nice open field tackle by Gay to save TD.

10. 3/GL, 7:38. 12 vs Nickel. Rollout to left, out to Willis is broken up by Gay.

11. 2/7, 4:31. 22 vs 34. Cover 1. Rush 4.Rollout left, deep 8 by Fells. Troy tried to jump route, Fells breaks it off deeper and leaves Troy trailing. Picture of Troy trailing.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Troy_trail.png

12. 2/7, 1:22. 12 vs 34. Rush 5. Square in to Thomas is dropped.

13. 3/7, 1:16. Empty vs Nickel. Rush 4. Tebow scrambles to left, throws ball away.

14. 1/10, 14:01 left in 3rd. 12 vs 34. Royal motion to nasty split vs single high safety. Fake handoff on read option (thnk OT game-winner). Dig to Thomas, INC. Taylor flagged for holding. Picture of pre-snap formation.

15. 2/8, 13:25. 11 vs 34. Rush 5. Curl to sticks to Royal, off coverage by the CB, first down.

16. 2/8, 3:52. 22 vs 34. PA. Steelers rush 6. Mundy up in rover position. Thomas on a post, pass off the mark (Tebow may have thought fade). Ike called for PI. Troy again badly under the play. Pic.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Troy_trail2.png

17. 1/10, 2:24. 22 vs 34. Rush 6. Mundy blitz. Inverted Cover 2. Gay playing off on Thomas. Go route to Thomas, INC.

18. 3/5, :15. 11, shotgun vs Nickel. Rush 6 with Timmons coming on delay blitz after TE stays in. Slant/out by "Z" and RB Ball. ittle rub on Mundy, enough seperation by Ball for catch and first down.

19. 2/7, 14:20 left in 4th. Empty vs Nickel. Rush 5 with Timmons coming from the edge. Screen play to each side, Tebow looks right of snap but Troy is all over it (jumping on the back of the receiver). Tebow comes back to the left and completes it to Royal despite pressure from Timmos. 10 yard gain but brough back because of illegal block on Willis.

20. 2/17, 14:01. 11 vs 34. More traditional Cover 2 look, as expected on an "and long" down. Rush 4. Attempted curl, receiver can't haul it in. INC.

21. 2/7, 8:35. 21 vs 34. Rush 4. Fake read option, Woodley can't bring him down, Tebow scrambles left, has RB Ball open on wheel but pass is high and falls incomplete.

22. 3/7, 8:25. 11 shotgun vs Nickel. Rush 4. Harrison on stunt over LG. Timmons blitzes from OLB. Woodley seems to be on backside contain. Ike on coverage vs Thomas (no jam). Curl for 15 yards, first down.

23. 2/9, 3:09. 22 vs 34. PA rollout left. TE on crossing route complete for sizeable gain (basically like #11 but not as deep of a route).

24. 2/8, 2:00. 11 vs 34. Shotgun. We rush 4. Pressure, Tebow scrambles left, throws INC down left sideline.

25. 3/8, 1:51. 12 vs Nickel. Show A gap blitz but back off last second and rush four. Hood as spy. Dig route open but Tebow makes a poor throw and the WR doesn't have a shot.

26. 1/10, 15:00 left in OT. 12, shotgun vs 34. Motion Royal to nasty split. Inverted Cover 2 where corners have deep responsibility. Mundy drops down, Ike stays tight on Thomas (no jam, free release). Thomas gets inside position, Tebow throws skinny post. TD, game, Broncos win.

Lot to go over here. My main premise to the failure of the play comes down to this. LeBeau didn't put Ike in a good position to win.

First, let's look at the formation pre-snap.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/OTwinner.png

Like I wrote, inverted Cover 2. Both safties are down in the box, Mundy actually is up another yard or two before the snap, putting no one deeper than five yards, and that's Gay on the other side of the field.

As I mentioned a couple time prior, we played the Inverted Cover 2 multiple times. Let's look at those formations.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/DefendOT2.png

This is play #17 on the list. Both safties are down. Gay has deep responsibility on his side of the field. Mundy blitzes so there is definitely no confusion as to what his assignment is. We back Gay off over 10 yards on Thomas to allow him time to read the play and to minimize the chance of getting beat deep. Let him read run/pass, read his 3 step if he wants and then can backpedal and react to the WR.

Next...

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/DefendOT3.png

This turned out to be a running play but is a similar defense versus a very similar offensive formation, the only difference being a lack of motion by the "Z" receiver. Safties are up, Troy isn't as close as he is on the TD but still up and is playing the run. Mundy up on the line right next to the LT. This time, both corners leave a cushion and Gay is inside and has bail technique (opens hips instead of normal backpedal, allows him to better read the QB and then break if it's pass to protect against deep ball).

Next...

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/DefendOT4.png

This looks pretty much identical to what Denver does on the TD. Again, inverted look where the safety drops down. In the above picture, Mundy starts off about 7 yards off the line. Ike is tight on the "X" receiver.

Watch what happens when Mundy drops down right on the LOS.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/DefendOT4_5.png

Ike backs off five yards. And you can see the similarity of this formation by Denver to the one on the TD withh Royal at the top of your screen motioning tight to the line.

---------------

On every Inverted Cover 2 look I saw where the safties dropped, we had some sort of "bailout" plan against the deep ball. The corners were off in case of a pass. It made it easier on them to sink with any vertical routes.

EXCEPT for two. The game-winner and play number seven where Ike gets turned around a hundred times and Thomas goes for 58 yards.

On both, there is no fail safe. Once Thomas wins off the line, he's won. Talking about the game-winner, he even said he knew that before the snap.

I do realize that it is hard to predict what Denver will do. Reason being is that their offense is SO simplistic. Does anyone remember how some people would take about a more "radical" way to defend Peyton Manning? Run the same defense every single time, show no pre-snap differences. Give Manning zero information to work with so he can't use it against you. It's kind of the same idea with Denver. There aren't a lot of tells. What's the difference between that playcall out of that formation and the ones that ended up being run plays? Here's another to look at.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/DefendOT1.png

This was a pass, play number 14 on the list. It's identical to the game-winner and Thomas probably would have run a post had it not been a single high safety look (against that you cross his face and run the dig which is what Thomas did).

The only difference I can see between the runs out of that formation and the game-winner is that in the game-winner, the WR is right on top of the numbers to help gain inside leverage. But in the picture I just showed where they passed, Thomas is outside the numbers.

I realize it's easy to use hindsight as a crutch amd start placing blame for a play I, and most fans, didn't see coming. I'm trying to avoid that as much as I can. But I still maintain that LeBeau slipped up and got caught. Can't say it for certain (maybe Ike was supposed to drop when Mundy came down like before and didn't) but it's hard to make that conclusion.

Tebow bested Troy last Sunday. Manipulated one of the best safties in the game at his own game (reading timing routes) by extending the play. And Tebow and OC Mike McCoy bested LeBeau.

-------------

Thanks for reading these over the season everybody.

Chidi29
01-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Link to my interview with TribLive from last Saturday if anyone is interested in listening. Wasn't really getting any views on the SU Announcements page so figured I'd throw the link here.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11691-Alex-Kozora-s-(Chidi29)-Interview-with-TribLive-Radio!

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
EXCELLENT stuff man! I would have loved reading your thoughts broken down like this throughout the entire season. If only I'd of found these boards sooner. Here's hoping you keep it up next year, definitely pointed out a ton of stuff that is impossible to notice the first watch through.

The one thing you did mention that I have been puzzled by since the loss is on that final touchdown strike, I'm surprised we didn't have any kind of protection against the deep ball. Particularly since, as you pointed out, they accounted for it throughout the game when faced with almost identical Bronco's sets. I would have thought the Steelers would have anticipated the opposition trying to come out with an aggressive start since aggression is what had worked for Denver for the majority of the contest. They weren't suddenly going to fold into a conservative offense. But that's easy to say now, I guess. I feel like Pittsburgh had the correct gameplan they just played Tebow on the wrong day. The throws he made were unprecedented based off of his previous performances since turning pro. Therefore its really unfair to have expected the Steelers to prepare for those caliber of passes when we as fans didn't think he could make them either. When it comes down to it the team had a great gameplan going in, but just didn't make the adjustments necessary throughout the game. My take anyway.

Chidi29
01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
You're right shutdown. It was unexpected. Especially the chunk yards that we gave up. It's one thing for teams to nickel and dime us down the field, we've seen that before. But through the air with the long ball? Doesn't happen. Part of that can be attributed by making it a point to shut down their run game and the lack of respect for Tebow.

Austin87
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
You left the best for last. Best write-up of the season, Chidi.

Seems like Legursky struggled more than I realized.

Chidi29
01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
You left the best for last. Best write-up of the season, Chidi.

Seems like Legursky struggled more than I realized.

Let's just say I'm very grateful for Photobucket's bulk picture uploader.

Thanks Austin!

suitanim
01-15-2012, 07:35 AM
I think we should credit Denver's OC Mike McCoy and NOT Tim Tebow so much. I think he altered what had become Denver's WR "go to" routes and we were actually completely sold out on what they had previously been doing and not what they did in that game. It's actually a credit to the complete simplicity of their offense that previously, A always meant B (i.e. in X formation, Receiver A runs Y route, etc, etc) and when they alter that, because we were so prepared for what we were sure we could expect, it gave even a HS caliber QB wide open throwing lanes to hit wide open receivers.

Chidi29
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I think we should credit Denver's OC Mike McCoy and NOT Tim Tebow so much. I think he altered what had become Denver's WR "go to" routes and we were actually completely sold out on what they had previously been doing and not what they did in that game. It's actually a credit to the complete simplicity of their offense that previously, A always meant B (i.e. in X formation, Receiver A runs Y route, etc, etc) and when they alter that, because we were so prepared for what we were sure we could expect, it gave even a HS caliber QB wide open throwing lanes to hit wide open receivers.

McCoy definitely gets credit and is the reason why his name is being floated around for a head coaching gig.

I agree with your point to some extent, but give Tebow credit for some throws. Especially the TD to Royal. Perfect pass from Tim.

zulater
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Great stuff as usual Chidi! :applaudit:

Got a few question for you, since I didn't buy the NFL rewind post season package. It's only good to Feb 13, so I figure I'll just wait and buy the offseason package.

Anyway, what's your thoughts about the lack of a call for interference on the punt return that Antonio Brown bobbled in the first half? Just because there was no fumble doesn't mean there shouldn't a flag does it?

Also I thought there was a 3rd down play in first quarter where Mike Wallace was hit with a helmet to helmet hit by a Denver defender? The network crew made no mention of it, even though I thought the replay confirmed my suspicion. Was I right?

Last thing, in the first quarter there was a 3rd down screen pass out in the right flat to Brown I believe. 3 receivers were bunched over there, with Hines Ward being one of them. From my perspective the only reason that play failed was that Hines failed miserably on his block attempt. Again from my perspective the Hines of old makes that block in his sleep, and had he executed well, the first down is an easy matter for Antonio. What's your perspective of this play if you will?

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd have to go back and look at the interference no-call you're talking about. Don't remember what happened.

There was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Wallace but he was definitely a runner at the time so it's a legal hit. It was on a 3rd down where he ran a drag and got popped as he already made a few steps upfield.

The last one I believe was a throw to Wallace. Don't exactly remember what Ward did on the play. I know Wallace made one guy miss and I think the SAM came over and brought him down. Blocking wasn't crisp on the play, I remember that much.

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
You know how much the offseason package is by any chance?

suitanim
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
McCoy definitely gets credit and is the reason why his name is being floated around for a head coaching gig.

I agree with your point to some extent, but give Tebow credit for some throws. Especially the TD to Royal. Perfect pass from Tim.

I credit that as the "Blind squirrel finding his occasional nut".

They had a great gameplan, completely changing their go to stuff, and we were contend to keep it vanilla and sell out against the run. The real difference, of course, is that when their solid plays were called, they executed, and, once again, we had too many break-downs on our offense. Had we executed probably as few as TWO more plays on offense, we'd have won that game. It truly is, as Cowher always liked to say, a game of inches.

zulater
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
You know how much the offseason package is by any chance?

No idea, but with the Steelers out I figured I could wait until it's up. Then I'll have 6 months to watch all the football I want!

Seriously I love the way they cut up the games where you don't even miss the huddle, but get none of the commercials! Sometimes I wish I had the willpower to keep myself in the dark about the result of the game and wait to watch it on NFL rewind. :lol:

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Ha, it is really awesome. I'm still in love with the coaches film, even if it's just for big plays.

zulater
01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
There was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Wallace but he was definitely a runner at the time so it's a legal hit. It was on a 3rd down where he ran a drag and got popped as he already made a few steps upfield.

Any chance you could post a few pictures on it?

And I'm a little unclear on the rule. If the receiver hasn't secured the ball isn't he presumed to be "defenseless"?

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Link to my interview with TribLive from last Saturday if anyone is interested in listening. Wasn't really getting any views on the SU Announcements page so figured I'd throw the link here.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11691-Alex-Kozora-s-(Chidi29)-Interview-with-TribLive-Radio!

I will definitely give this a listen!

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
- Another delay of game. With just a few seconds left on the playclock, we're not even on the line yet. Unacceptable, especially coming out of a timeout where we have ample time. On the last drive of regulation with a chance to win the game, it's disgusting. Picture, check the playclock and the fact that Brown and Wallace are still jogging to their spots.

Disgusting

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Any chance you could post a few pictures on it?

And I'm a little unclear on the rule. If the receiver hasn't secured the ball isn't he presumed to be "defenseless"?

Sure, I can in a little bit.

Let me just make sure we're thinking of the same play because we might not be. I'm thinking of Wallace's catch mid-way through the second quarter. A 7 yard pickup on 3rd and 10.

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
And Zu, you're definitely right about us being way too late to getting to the line and is a big factor in the delay of games/sacks.

zulater
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Sure, I can in a little bit.

Let me just make sure we're thinking of the same play because we might not be. I'm thinking of Wallace's catch mid-way through the second quarter. A 7 yard pickup on 3rd and 10.

I'm talking about an incompletion. It was a 3rd down play, and the ball went through Wallace's hand's if memory serves me correct. I think it was in the first half.

I guess I misremembered. ( thanks Roger Clemmons :chuckle: ) it probably was that 7 yard catch you brought up. Looking at the game book that must have been the play? For some reason I thought the ball came out after contact?

zulater
01-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Also the reason I brought up the screen play that failed, if you watch that see if you think what I believe is true and Hines Ward completely whiffed on his block, and other than that the play gets the first down.

This really goes to the question of whether or not Hines should return. Because in my opinion not only on that play, but on the season as a whole Hines' blocking was well below his normal standards. And to me it pretty much shoots down any thought of the Steelers embracing his potential return for any reason other than being polite. Which is no way to run an NFL team with limited roster spots and a finite amount of salary cap room.

suitanim
01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I will also state that I think it's time for Ward to hang 'em up. The drop-off has been quick for him, and it's definitely there...We are solid if we keep Cotchery, Sanders, Wallace and Brown. Ward's best days are behind him....

But when we talk about the bubble screen failing, THAT is the way we SHOULD talk about it. Don't criticize the call if it looks like it MAY have been a good call, criticize the break-down of execution, because that's really the key here. If you aren't executing, it really won't matter what the play is...all eleven guys need to be firing like 11 cylinders in an engine, all in time and tandem. Failure of even one can result in the whole play blowing up.

zulater
01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I will also state that I think it's time for Ward to hang 'em up. The drop-off has been quick for him, and it's definitely there...We are solid if we keep Cotchery, Sanders, Wallace and Brown. Ward's best days are behind him....

But when we talk about the bubble screen failing, THAT is the way we SHOULD talk about it. Don't criticize the call if it looks like it MAY have been a good call, criticize the break-down of execution, because that's really the key here. If you aren't executing, it really won't matter what the play is...all eleven guys need to be firing like 11 cylinders in an engine, all in time and tandem. Failure of even one can result in the whole play blowing up.

Not to keep harping on Hines, but I think the coaches noticed what i did on that play, and from that point, until he was finally reinserted for the final set of downs, Hines was kept on the sidelines by the coaching staff.

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Also the reason I brought up the screen play that failed, if you watch that see if you think what I believe is true and Hines Ward completely whiffed on his block, and other than that the play gets the first down.

This really goes to the question of whether or not Hines should return. Because in my opinion not only on that play, but on the season as a whole Hines' blocking was well below his normal standards. And to me it pretty much shoots down any thought of the Steelers embracing his potential return for any reason other than being polite. Which is no way to run an NFL team with limited roster spots and a finite amount of salary cap room.

Think I found the play. 8:30 left in the first quarter. I would disagree that Hines "completely" whiffed. He tried to drive the CB upfield, towards Denver's end zone, and the CB was able to get off. Tough block to make. He stuck and made contact for about a second and then the corner got off. Brown definitely wasn't getting the first down even if the corner doesn't make the tackle. The safety Carter was right on Brown and helped make the tackle and Mays was coming from behind.

Hines obviously can't be on the roster with a $4 million salary. He'll have to take a big pay cut and he knows it. I know he says he wants to be here, because that's what you'e supposed to say, but I don't think he really does. At least not looking at his body language after his role was reduced. Really never saw him smile aside from his 1000 catch. I doubt he's happy about returning to see the field for 15 plays a game.

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
No idea, but with the Steelers out I figured I could wait until it's up. Then I'll have 6 months to watch all the football I want!

Seriously I love the way they cut up the games where you don't even miss the huddle, but get none of the commercials! Sometimes I wish I had the willpower to keep myself in the dark about the result of the game and wait to watch it on NFL rewind. :lol:

I just saw the pricing for the offseason package. They're doing a package deal for playoffs and offseason until July 31st for $40. Of course, they only posted the playoff package orginally for 20. So that basically involves me buying the playoff package again which I'm not happy about.

zulater
01-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I just saw the pricing for the offseason package. They're doing a package deal for playoffs and offseason until July 31st for $40. Of course, they only posted the playoff package orginally for 20. So that basically involves me buying the playoff package again which I'm not happy about.

Cool! I'm on it! Glad I waited. :heh:

Chidi29
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm talking about an incompletion. It was a 3rd down play, and the ball went through Wallace's hand's if memory serves me correct. I think it was in the first half.

I guess I misremembered. ( thanks Roger Clemmons :chuckle: ) it probably was that 7 yard catch you brought up. Looking at the game book that must have been the play? For some reason I thought the ball came out after contact?

Yeah if that's the play, Wallace was definitely a runner.