PDA

View Full Version : NFL Free Agents the Steelers May Be Interested In

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Are there any upcoming free agents you guys are interested in or think the Steelers should take a look at? I have a few Linebackers I wouldn't mind seeing in camp.

Mario Haggan [Denver]

Haggan was a starter in the Josh McDaniels era. Experienced playing in the 3-4 defense Haggan can play both Inside Linebacker and Outside Linebacker making him a value.

Quentin Groves [Oakland]

The Steelers strongly considered drafting Groves when he turned pro a few years ago. After a miserable stint in Jacksonville where he failed at both Defensive End and Linebacker, he has been less of a disappointment in Oakland.

Rocky McIntosh [D.C.]

McIntosh might be over-valued by his current team, but I can't see other franchises being overly excited by him. If he gets loose and we part ways with James Farrior he would be a solid backup in the middle.

SMR
01-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Are there any upcoming free agents you guys are interested in or think the Steelers should take a look at? I have a few Linebackers I wouldn't mind seeing in camp.

Mario Haggan [Denver]

Haggan was a starter in the Josh McDaniels era. Experienced playing in the 3-4 defense Haggan can play both Inside Linebacker and Outside Linebacker making him a value.

Quentin Groves [Oakland]

The Steelers strongly considered drafting Groves when he turned pro a few years ago. After a miserable stint in Jacksonville where he failed at both Defensive End and Linebacker, he has been less of a disappointment in Oakland.

Rocky McIntosh [D.C.]

McIntosh might be over-valued by his current team, but I can't see other franchises being overly excited by him. If he gets loose and we part ways with James Farrior he would be a solid backup in the middle.

McIntosh might be alright enough to replace Farrior if it comes to that. Farrior is on the decline, IMO.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 09:28 AM
McIntosh might be alright enough to replace Farrior if it comes to that. Farrior is on the decline, IMO.

I agree. I have really enjoyed watching James Farrior play since we acquired him but I'm starting to think it might be best to move on now that he is showing significant decline as opposed to waiting any longer and hoping he doesn't completely drop off.

NJarhead
01-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I like Timmons, Foote and Sylvester. We don't need a f/a MLB imo.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Oh I agree. I think Timmons and Foote as the starters with Sylvester behind them is fine for a couple of seasons. But I do think a 3-4 team should really carry more than three Inside Linebackers. I'm partial to a guy like Haggan who can play both positions as I'm hopeful we will draft a classic Inside Linebacker in the middle rounds of April's draft.

SMR
01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Good thread ShutDown24. I do believe this is one of the important areas the Steelers FO need to discuss during THIS off-season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Sylvester is just a reserve, not a starter in wating. Foote is on the downhill of his career. McIntosh or Haggan would be an upgrade over both of those guys.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Assuming we decide to part ways with Aaron Smith, we're going to need another "End" to play behind Keisel, Heyward and Hood. I actually think McClendon could fit in at end quite nicely, but if the Steelers view him strictly as a Nose... Here are a couple more guys I could see us glancing at this off-season.

Wallace Gilberry [KC]

A little smaller than you would typically want at 3-4 End (6'2, 270) Gilberry has largely outplayed his first round pick Chief teammates (Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson) and shows a knack for pursuing the Quarterback.

Kendall Langford [MIA]

Langford is the prototypical 3-4 End. After a promising start to his career, he seems to have fallen out of favor in Miami.

steelreserve
01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Foote is fine as a starting ILB. I don't see us losing anything at that position. He's not an All-Pro, but neither was Farrior. And in any case, this was the reason we re-signed him. Pretty sure he'll start the season there unless Sylvester or someone else really has a breakout preseason.

As far as free agents at positions we need, I'm more interested in guys like

Chad Henne [MIA]
David Garrard [JAX]
Matt Flynn [GB]

Having a quality backup could've saved our season. We'd have a shot at winning the 49ers game without Ben (and certainly a better shot than with a 40% Ben), and getting the #1 seed, and then guess what, Ben wouldn't have had to play until a home game this weekend. In hindsight, having him hobble around for an extra two and a half games on a bad ankle, instead of sitting and recovering, probably did more damage to our chances of being serious contenders in the postseason. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Anyway, I really hope we get that problem fixed, even if it means spending a couple million.

Steeldude
01-14-2012, 01:08 PM

sylvester is still unproven. foote is not a starter. he plays/reacts slowly. he is more often waiting than attacking. foote starting next season would be a scary thought. IMO, the steelers need to add a competent veteran LB if farrior is released. they may also need to draft a MLB depending on who is available. if the do release farrior they need to move timmons into his spot, not foote.

The Duke
01-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't mind Chad Henne

He's been a dissapointment for the dolphins, but at least he isn't fragile like Leftwich. Learning from Ben couldn't hurt him

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't mind Chad Henne

He's been a dissapointment for the dolphins, but at least he isn't fragile like Leftwich. Learning from Ben couldn't hurt him

Now there is an outside the box thought. I feel like Henne would be a fantastic pickup. Do you think he gets a decent offer from a team like New York though who needs to have their current starter pushed to compete for the job?

BigNastyDefense
01-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Foote is fine as a starting ILB. I don't see us losing anything at that position. He's not an All-Pro, but neither was Farrior. And in any case, this was the reason we re-signed him. Pretty sure he'll start the season there unless Sylvester or someone else really has a breakout preseason.

Chad Henne [MIA]
David Garrard [JAX]
Matt Flynn [GB]

Having a quality backup could've saved our season. We'd have a shot at winning the 49ers game without Ben (and certainly a better shot than with a 40% Ben), and getting the #1 seed, and then guess what, Ben wouldn't have had to play until a home game this weekend. In hindsight, having him hobble around for an extra two and a half games on a bad ankle, instead of sitting and recovering, probably did more damage to our chances of being serious contenders in the postseason. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Anyway, I really hope we get that problem fixed, even if it means spending a couple million.

I am not a fan of Chad Henne. He was basically handed the started QB job in Miami and couldn't keep it multiple times. I think he'll go somewhere in which he will have a chance to at least compete for the starting quarterback job.

I wouldn't mind Garrard being a backup here, but I think he too would rather go somewhere he can compete for a starting job.

Matt Flynn probably won't be a free agent at all. I think the Packers will franchise him and then trade him to the highest bidder, he's being viewed like Matt Shuab only better. The Packers are going to get at least a first and third round pick for him if not better.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Matt Flynn probably won't be a free agent at all. I think the Packers will franchise him and then trade him to the highest bidder, he's being viewed like Matt Shuab only better. The Packers are going to get at least a first and third round pick for him if not better.

Matt Flynn is this years Kevin Kolb. They actually remind me a lot of each other as far as skill set goes, too. Although from what I can gather Flynn is a better leader.

polamalubeast
01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I would like to have a good kicker who can do very often a field goal over 45 yards

steelreserve
01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't know if Henne will get a chance to compete for a starting job. Teams view him as a backup now, so he's probably in that zone where you have to wait for someone to get injured and then prove yourself. As a starter, I'm no fan of him either, but he's probably one of the better backups who's going to be available. Loads better than what we have now.

Garrard yeah, he'll probably go somewhere he can compete for a starting job, and so will Jason Campbell. If we're lucky though, at least one guy like that will surprise us and be willing to take a prove-it deal for a year. Kind of like Leftwich did a few years back.

NJarhead
01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Sylvester is just a reserve, not a starter in wating. Foote is on the downhill of his career. McIntosh or Haggan would be an upgrade over both of those guys.

I disagree.

Steeltreal
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Foote needs to be released.

Sylvester's value is on ST and hes pretty quick, Hes had 1 start in his short career with alot up upside sitting behind Timmons.

As for bringing in FA LB's there's 3 guys ILB Morty Ivy and Mario Harvey, OLB Carter who have played preseason limited by the lockout, they should have a better chance making the team than these guys your considering 'upgrades'

NJarhead
01-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Foote needs to be released.

Sylvester's value is on ST and hes pretty quick, Hes had 1 start in his short career with alot up upside sitting behind Timmons.

As for bringing in FA LB's there's 3 guys ILB Morty Ivy and Mario Harvey, OLB Carter who have played preseason limited by the lockout, they should have a better chance making the team than these guys your considering 'upgrades'

Agree with most of what you said here. There's no question Foote is well into the second half of his career, but he's still solid IMO.

The Duke
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Now there is an outside the box thought. I feel like Henne would be a fantastic pickup. Do you think he gets a decent offer from a team like New York though who needs to have their current starter pushed to compete for the job?

Sparano was just hired by the Jets, and he's always been a huge Henne supporter. I think he'll try to lure him to NY

I would like to have a good kicker who can do very often a field goal over 45 yards

That wish will be hard to fullfill. But I agree. At the very least take a chance on a kicker in the draft

katmandu
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree. I have really enjoyed watching James Farrior play since we acquired him but I'm starting to think it might be best to move on now that he is showing significant decline as opposed to waiting any longer and hoping he doesn't completely drop off.I love Farrior but he's become a liability in his pass coverage skills.

katmandu
01-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Chad Henne [MIA]
David Garrard [JAX]
Matt Flynn [GB]

Having a quality {QUARTERBACK} backup could've saved our season. We'd have a shot at winning the 49ers game without Ben (and certainly a better shot than with a 40% Ben),

In hindsight, having him hobble around for an extra two and a half games on a bad ankle, instead of sitting and recovering, probably did more damage to our chances of being serious contenders in the postseason. Woulda coulda shoulda.
X2. I believe most folks are discounting what a huge negative impact Ben's ijuries ;really effected us.

He played like shitt the last several games as a result.

It's imperative the we obtained a HIGH QUALITY QB backup!

GBMelBlount
01-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Chad Henne [MIA]
David Garrard [JAX]
Matt Flynn [GB]

Having a quality backup could've saved our season.

We'd have a shot at winning the 49ers game without Ben (and certainly a better shot than with a 40% Ben), and getting the #1 seed, and then guess what, Ben wouldn't have had to play until a home game this weekend.

In hindsight, having him hobble around for an extra two and a half games on a bad ankle, instead of sitting and recovering, probably did more damage to our chances of being serious contenders in the postseason. Woulda coulda shoulda.

ABSOLUTELY.

The decision to play Ben start to finish in those games after we had locked up a playoff spot knowing he was playing terribly AND not healing (AND Batch won 27-0), was utterly neanderthal.

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Chad Henne [MIA]
David Garrard [JAX]
Matt Flynn [GB]

No way will we win the matt flynn sweepstakes. someone is going to pour on some serious draft picks for him

fansince'76
01-14-2012, 08:07 PM
No way will we win the matt flynn sweepstakes. someone is going to pour on some serious draft picks for him

And throw a giant contract at him to be a starter on the strength of one game against the Lions. Danny-Boy Snyder, come on down!

ShutDown24
01-15-2012, 07:53 AM
The funny thing about Flynn is, the knock on him coming out of school was that his arm wasn't strong enough. It is interesting to see the change of public perception regarding a guys physical skills after he has been in the league a few years. I wonder if the player has improved his strength & conditioning to such a point that he can make all the necessary throws now or if a system like Green Bay's just masks those deficiencies.

ShutDown24
01-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Clark Haggans is available :eyebrows: