PDA

View Full Version : Will Harrison be back?

mortgageman
01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
He has a huge cap number and is in his mid 30s. He did not play at the level he used to play at. He gets flagged a ton and has a high probability of getting suspended for at least one game per year. I wish we could've seen more of Worilds to make this decision easier. We may let him walk though.

86WARD
01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes.

suitanim
01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Harrison was a beast this year. This is EXACTLY what people started claiming about Porter...these guys take on so many different assignments, like dropping into coverage and occupying lineman that their stats taper off a little and people assume they are done. What ACTUALLY has occurred is Harrison has realized his full capability in a LeBeau defense where basically he can handle any assignment and do it correctly.

The only way he doesn't come back is if he's had it with Goodell's complete pussification and Bradyfication of the league...

katmandu
01-13-2012, 09:23 AM
We may let him walk though.What's this "WE" shit ?

YOU may let him walk. The Steelers won't.

tube517
01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
9 sacks in 11 games. Yeah, he's old as dirt. Cut his ass. :sarcasm:

Bluecoat96
01-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I can understand the thought process of trying to relieve some cap pressure, but Harrison is a phenomenal physical specimen. Like I just said in the other thread about Sanders, with no lockout this offseason, Harrison can work extensively with Steelers physicians and trainers to help whatever back issues,etc. go away. If he wouldn't have had his freaking eye socket broken and sat out a month, he'd easily have had a double digit sack season again.

fansince'76
01-13-2012, 10:20 AM
If he wouldn't have had his freaking eye socket broken and sat out a month, he'd easily have had a double digit sack season again.

Not to mention the bogus one-game suspension.

zulater
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Not to mention the bogus one-game suspension.

The only trouble is the next suspension ( which I'm sure there will be) will be at least 2 games. Good chance it could go as high as 6. So even though I want him to be back, even though I think he'll be back, the Steelers still have to have some fear about not having a highly paid player being available to play for some portion of the season.

fansince'76
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
The only trouble is the next suspension ( which I'm sure there will be) will be at least 2 games. Good chance it could go as high as 6. So even though I want him to be back, even though I think he'll be back, the Steelers still have to have some fear about not having a highly paid player being available to play for some portion of the season.

If he keeps going low like he did on Decker, there shouldn't be a problem. "Player safety," you know. :rolleyes:

X-Terminator
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
The only way Harrison doesn't come back is if the Steelers don't think he can avoid another suspension. Otherwise, he will be back in black and gold next season. After that, though...who knows? He'd be 35 and has a history of back issues. That's a risky proposition.

mortgageman
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe it was the missed games that have me thinking this was a down year for him. I just don't remember seeing him making those big time plays like he has in the past. He may have had 9 sacks, but 6 of those were from 2 games. I've always been a huge Harrison fan, but he seemed to be a little less effective this year. That along with his cap number, age, and suspension issues make him a question mark. Just my opinion though.

steelreserve
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
No way in hell we cut him loose. He's as good as ever, and we don't have a replacement anywhere near being ready. The only problem is that we're pretty much guaranteed he'll miss at least 2 games, owing to the fact that the commissioner has the IQ of dirt.

7willBheaven
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Harrison was a beast this year. This is EXACTLY what people started claiming about Porter...these guys take on so many different assignments, like dropping into coverage and occupying lineman that their stats taper off a little and people assume they are done. What ACTUALLY has occurred is Harrison has realized his full capability in a LeBeau defense where basically he can handle any assignment and do it correctly.

The only way he doesn't come back is if he's had it with Goodell's complete pussification and Bradyfication of the league...

Exactly. This is what drives me crazy...people saying oh so and so had a crappy year...when they ONLY look at stats...stats only tell part of the story. Timmons is another example...stats wise it was a down year...but all the crap he was asked to do this year plays a huge part in it. Also as far as age...yes Harrison is in his 30s...but he just like Keisel did not become starters until their 4-5th yr in the league...so they do not have as much wear and tear as others their age. Keisel just came off one of his best if not his best season ever as an example...I'm not as worried about those 2 as far as age for another couple yrs maybe.

Steeldude
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
He has a huge cap number and is in his mid 30s. He did not play at the level he used to play at. He gets flagged a ton and has a high probability of getting suspended for at least one game per year. I wish we could've seen more of Worilds to make this decision easier. We may let him walk though.

he'll be back. he and polamalu are the play makers on the defense. i suppose worilds could replace him, but there would probably be a huge drop-off. it's not like harrison is porter. porter's tank was empty 2 to 3 years before he was sent walking. harrison is a monster. i would rather trade woodley to move up in the draft. i am fine with worilds taking his spot.

keep in mind harrison was still getting over two back surgeries. he also missed some games with an orbital fracture.

zulater
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
he'll be back. he and polamalu are the play makers on the defense. i suppose worilds could replace him, but there would probably be a huge drop-off. it's not like harrison is porter. porter's tank was empty 2 to 3 years before he was sent walking. harrison is a monster. i would rather trade woodley to move up in the draft. i am fine with worilds taking his spot.

keep in mind harrison was still getting over two back surgeries. he also missed some games with an orbital fracture.

What a shock that you would trade Woodly! :sarcasm2:Probably wouldn't want much back for him either. Just clear him out for a 4th or 5th rounder?

Seriously, before Woodly popped his hamstring he was playing at DPOY level. He's what like 26, and up until this year no history of serious injuries. I think they should and will keep Lamarr. You're just going to have to resign yourself to watching his "lack of hustle" on most plays for another few seasons. :chuckle:

86WARD
01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Why even go into a debate about this? The simple answer is yes.

Austin87
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Why even go into a debate about this? The simple answer is yes.

+1

ALLD
01-13-2012, 04:29 PM

I bet you would not say that to his face.

SMR
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
He'll be bock.

steelreserve
01-13-2012, 05:04 PM

I never thought that was the case. Seemed more like we got rid of him at the very start of his decline, not the middle. He was a huge part of the run to Super Bowl XL just the year before, when you say his "tank was empty." He had a couple of good years afterward. It was definitely the right move to let him go when we did, but if we hadn't had someone like Harrison ready to take over for him, I'm almost positive we would've kept him for the last year left on his contract.

SteelerFanInStl
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
He better be back!

SteelGhost
01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Short answer: YES.

I'm more worried about Farrior's and Aaron's replacements :noidea:

86WARD
01-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Smith has already been replaced...

SteelGhost
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
You're right 86, but we need depth.

BigNastyDefense
01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah. He missed four games with a broken eye socket & a game to suspension. He makes plays, he's disruptive. The reason that they don't double team him anymore is because they know the refs aren't going to call holding, even when he's being put in a choke hold by the tackle. He'll restructure if asked to lower his cap hit.

XxKnightxX
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Yea, BUT, we need to figure out how t get the pass ruh again. Basically non existent.

BigNastyDefense
01-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Yea, BUT, we need to figure out how t get the pass ruh again. Basically non existent.

The Steelers had 35 sacks this season. But how many games did our two best pass rushers, Harrison & Woodley, both miss this season? Having them both healthy all season would have put us probably between 43 & 50 sacks on the season.

steelreserve
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah. He missed four games with a broken eye socket & a game to suspension. He makes plays, he's disruptive. The reason that they don't double team him anymore is because they know the refs aren't going to call holding, even when he's being put in a choke hold by the tackle. He'll restructure if asked to lower his cap hit.

I doubt it. Harrison wasn't getting paid shit until last year, and the real money in his current deal doesn't start until next year and the year after. He was basically playing for $1M a year through our Super Bowl against the Cards, and $5-$6M a year since, counting bonus money. Considering he only has a couple years left in all probability, he needs it.

Steeldude
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
What a shock that you would trade Woodly! :sarcasm2:Probably wouldn't want much back for him either. Just clear him out for a 4th or 5th rounder?

Seriously, before Woodly popped his hamstring he was playing at DPOY level. He's what like 26, and up until this year no history of serious injuries. I think they should and will keep Lamarr. You're just going to have to resign yourself to watching his "lack of hustle" on most plays for another few seasons. :chuckle:

not all of us are personally attached to player like you. it's a business. i would want more than a 4th or 5th rounder. this is why i said trade him to move up in the draft. your selective reading is getting the best of you.

i am fine if woodley stays, but if a good deal can be made for him that will better the team then i say take it. i didn't see much drop-off when the backup came in for woodley.

katmandu
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Why even go into a debate about this? This is the OFF season. It's what we do ! :eyebrows: :toofunny:

katmandu
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
The Steelers had 35 sacks this season. But how many games did our two best pass rushers, Harrison & Woodley, both miss this season?

Having them both healthy all season would have put us probably between 43 & 50 sacks on the season.Yea, an if the freakin Refs would call just a 1/2 of the HOLDS on James they would have had 70 SACKS this year !

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 12:01 PM

I'd have to disagree with this. Joey Porter had a couple of excellent seasons after he left Pittsburgh. If I remember correctly one of his campaigns in Miami led to 18 sacks. And even last season in Arizona I believe he had 40 tackles and a dozen sacks. I think he totally fell off this year but up through 2010 he was still a very decent option for a 3-4 team.

Steeldude
01-14-2012, 01:03 PM
I'd have to disagree with this. Joey Porter had a couple of excellent seasons after he left Pittsburgh. If I remember correctly one of his campaigns in Miami led to 18 sacks. And even last season in Arizona I believe he had 40 tackles and a dozen sacks. I think he totally fell off this year but up through 2010 he was still a very decent option for a 3-4 team.

as i have said many times, there is more to being a LB than sacks.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
For an Outside Linebacker in a 34 scheme? Pass rushing is by far the most important skill at that position. And 40 solo tackles isn't shabby at all. And that was Porters worst season up until this year.

suitanim
01-15-2012, 07:38 AM

We let him go because his replacement was ready and he wanted a huge deal, NOT because he was done playing. Porter was absolutely at the very tip-top of his game when he moved on, completely matured 3-4 OLB playing the most complex 3-4 scheme in the league and able to handle any and all assignments that could be asked of him. That's exactly where Harrison is now.

BlacknGoldBabe
01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
No way in hell we cut him loose. He's as good as ever, and we don't have a replacement anywhere near being ready. The only problem is that we're pretty much guaranteed he'll miss at least 2 games, owing to the fact that the commissioner has the IQ of dirt.

Too true

ShutDown24
01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
We let him go because his replacement was ready and he wanted a huge deal, NOT because he was done playing. Porter was absolutely at the very tip-top of his game when he moved on, completely matured 3-4 OLB playing the most complex 3-4 scheme in the league and able to handle any and all assignments that could be asked of him. That's exactly where Harrison is now.

That's sort of the way I see it. I don't think we really knew what we had in Harrison (Remember we drafted Timmons to play that ROLB spot), but Porter was definitely still playing good ball when he departed.