PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu wins appeal of $10K fine for using cell phone

zulater
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825f12ef/article/steelers-polamalu-wins-appeal-of-10k-fine-for-using-cell-phone

All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu won his appeal of a $10,000 fine for using his cell phone on the sideline during a game, according to a league source.

Polamalu was notified of the verdict on Thursday.

He was fined for using his phone during a win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Oct. 16. Polamalu, who has a history of concussions, had a brief phone conversation with his wife near the Steelers' bench area after exiting the game with concussion-like symptoms.

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Omg and rightfully so. A winning appeal...now there's something you dont see everyday

tube517
01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FekELn6Cqq8/SDSEOFVFw-I/AAAAAAAACL0/vr2fCjJHmmE/s400/Fred_Sanford.jpg

BigNastyDefense
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Wow, the NFL made the right decision here, and that is honestly a shocker with the way this league has been run since (no)Goodell has taken over.

stillers4me
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
How could any one resist those puppy dog eyes...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2006/10/polamalu.jpg

Chidi29
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
See Troy? There are more people involved with the fine process than just Goodell like you've mistakenly thought in the past.

fansince'76
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
It took THREE months? :noidea:

Shoes
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
It took THREE months? :noidea:

Yes, Roger was collecting three months of interest on Troys money. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Yes, Roger was collecting three months of interest on Troys money. :chuckle:

Has to make up that shortfall during the lockout when he reduced his pay to $1. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
:jawdrop2:

steelerdude15
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Good to hear.

NCSteeler
01-13-2012, 01:08 AM
How could you all be cheering this? Don't we constantly gripe about unfairness and inconsistency? Is the rule as dumb as we think , yes, but the fact is he broke a rule and paid the price. Now maybe the price should have been much lower, but players are not allowed to use electronic devices during games for a reason. He could have just as easily walked over to the tunnel and called.

Count Steeler
01-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Justice is served.

zulater
01-13-2012, 05:44 AM
How could you all be cheering this? Don't we constantly gripe about unfairness and inconsistency? Is the rule as dumb as we think , yes, but the fact is he broke a rule and paid the price. Now maybe the price should have been much lower, but players are not allowed to use electronic devices during games for a reason. He could have just as easily walked over to the tunnel and called.

He didn't make the call. One of the team doctors did, and when he couldn't placate Troy's wife he handed the phone to Troy. It wasn't of Troy's choosing. I mean seriously dude, the team doctor hands you the phone telling you your wife is seriously distressed, and asks you to say a few words to put her at ease, and you're going to say no, tell her I'll call her later, when the league says it's ok? :doh:

Borski
01-13-2012, 05:50 AM
He didn't make the call. One of the team doctors did, and when he couldn't placate Troy's wife he handed the phone to Troy. It wasn't of Troy's choosing. I mean seriously dude, the team doctor hands you the phone telling you your wife is seriously distressed, and asks you to say a few words to put her at ease, and you're going to say no, tell her I'll call her later, when the league says it's ok? :doh:

Exactly. For some reason people seem to be forgeting that key factor.

NCSteeler
01-13-2012, 06:00 AM

No I don't expect him to not take the phone, but I also don't expect Steelers to bitch when they break the rules and get caught. Players and staff are prohibited from using cell phones on the sideline during games, so I expect the doctor should have never made the call to start with.

BlacknGoldBabe
01-13-2012, 06:17 AM
If others can exploit a technicality, why can't Troy? I say justice has been served, and the hell with NoGoodell. :thumbsup:

tube517
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Not really "cheering" the decision. More in shock that an appeal was successful.

86WARD
01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Surprising.

fansince'76
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
No I don't expect him to not take the phone, but I also don't expect Steelers to bitch when they break the rules and get caught.

Tomlin on Harrison suspension:

I’ll start by discussing the suspension of James Harrison.

We received word from the league office this morning that he will receive a one game suspension. We’ll accept that of course. We are disappointed, we are disappointed for James because we know quite frankly how hard he has worked to play within the rules. He has worked extremely hard to adjust his game. Unfortunately the incident happened. Of course it was a penalty. We have to be accountable for that; he has to be accountable for that. We accept the judgment rendered by the league office and we’ll move forward.

Tomlin on Harrison suspension (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-Harrison-suspension/8e4249fe-4610-4836-acc2-52a2e6835bf7)

Doesn't sound like bitching to me. :noidea: And if there was anything this season worth bitching about, it was that bullshit suspension of Harrison. Especially since the league gave a pass to Shurmur for allowing McCoy back out on the field in the same game. "Player safety," my ass.

zulater
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
No I don't expect him to not take the phone, but I also don't expect Steelers to bitch when they break the rules and get caught. Players and staff are prohibited from using cell phones on the sideline during games, so I expect the doctor should have never made the call to start with.

If the team had been fined, or if the doctor had been reprimanded in some way ( certainly not with a 10 k fine though) then I'm certain they wouldn't have bitched. But Troy's the one who was fined, so therefore the punishment was baseless and rightfully overturned.

The most disappointing thing is the league is so stupid that this was apparent from the beginning. But of course since it was noticed by the network commentators, one of the national teams no less, Goodell was of course "forced" to rule by proxy once again. Seriously as much as anything what pisses me off about Goodell is he always follows the wind of the press when deciding who will or wont get punished. If a vicious hit happens in a game between two irrelevant teams, covered by an irrelevant network crew, and it escapes the attention of ESPN the next day, the hit will go unpinished 9 out of 10 times.

steelreserve
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

I don't even think it's a dumb rule, the way it was intended. Otherwise you'd have every hot-dogging idiot in the league yakking on his cell phone between every possession, not paying attention to the game, probably causing the occasional sideline fracas because his coaches or teammates don't think he's giving full effort ... so yes, it's a good rule. The issue is using it the way it was intended. Obviously it wasn't meant for banning people from talking to their family in a medical emergency. But some complete fucking retard in the league office just had to make an issue of it, and really ought to be fired for having such piss-poor judgment.

Anyway, that's what I think people are upset about. As for the whole fairness and consistency thing, I know what you mean and see it all the time, and I think that's the wrong approach when a rule is just plain stupid; e.g. helmet-to-helmet. If the rule is stupid, I don't want to see it enforced on everyone; I hate it when it's enforced at all - that applies whether it's the Steelers, the Saints, the Rams, or even the Ravens. (The one exception is the Patriots, because I like it when anything bad happens to them, regardless of why). Yes, I especially hate it when it's enforced on the Steelers, but I think the logical thing is to have a stronger urge that the stupidity will stop entirely, not to wish that there was more stupidity as a whole and other people suffered from it as badly as you did.

SMR
01-13-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't even think it's a dumb rule, the way it was intended. Otherwise you'd have every hot-dogging idiot in the league yakking on his cell phone between every possession, not paying attention to the game, probably causing the occasional sideline fracas because his coaches or teammates don't think he's giving full effort ... so yes, it's a good rule. The issue is using it the way it was intended. Obviously it wasn't meant for banning people from talking to their family in a medical emergency. But some complete fucking retard in the league office just had to make an issue of it, and really ought to be fired for having such piss-poor judgment.

Anyway, that's what I think people are upset about. As for the whole fairness and consistency thing, I know what you mean and see it all the time, and I think that's the wrong approach when a rule is just plain stupid; e.g. helmet-to-helmet. If the rule is stupid, I don't want to see it enforced on everyone; I hate it when it's enforced at all - that applies whether it's the Steelers, the Saints, the Rams, or even the Ravens. (The one exception is the Patriots, because I like it when anything bad happens to them, regardless of why). Yes, I especially hate it when it's enforced on the Steelers, but I think the logical thing is to have a stronger urge that the stupidity will stop entirely, not to wish that there was more stupidity as a whole and other people suffered from it as badly as you did.

Excellent post, sir!

oneforthetoe
01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tKMOrfQ5Kpg/Sl6VlyoBd0I/AAAAAAAAAig/-S4LXrNkCCw/s320/Hell+Freezes+over.jpg

NCSteeler
01-13-2012, 11:46 PM

Good Post

HometownGal
01-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Justice has finally been served. :applaudit: :thumbsup: