PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Wallace could leave in offseason, but, for now, that seems unlikely

stillers4me
01-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Hines Ward will not be the only receiver in danger of leaving the Steelers before the 2012 season begins.
One of the Young Money trio's contract expires, and, whether Mike Wallace returns, could depend on several factors inside and outside the organization.

Wallace becomes a restricted free agent in March, and, while the Steelers partially can protect their rights to him by offering him a one-year tender, there is no guarantee another team might see more value in him and try to sign him............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12012/1202980-66.stm#ixzz1jF9Oqmmg

polamalubeast
01-12-2012, 05:52 AM
I would be very shocked if Wallace is not with the Steelers in 2012.

I hope that Wallace signed a long term contract in the offseason.

HometownGal
01-12-2012, 05:55 AM
I don't see Wallace leaving the Steelers this coming season but you never know. :noidea: Hopefully, his agent and the FO can work out something mutually acceptable and long-term. We have one helluva dynamic duo in Wallace and Brown and I'd hate to see that broken up.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Well, they do call themselves "Young Money".

It's going to take a good chunk of money to keep him around if someone makes an offer fro another organization.

SCSTILLER
01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, they do call themselves "Young Money".

It's going to take a good chunk of money to keep him around if someone makes an offer fro another organization.

Very true. Unfortunately loyalty to teams doesn't run deep enough to override the benjamins when it comes to alot of players. Here's hoping he is one of the few players that does have some loyalty to a team.

suitanim
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Now that Crazy Ole Al Davis is dead, the 5 year, 70 million dollar contract he'd have likely offered Wallace is also dead.

I think he stays right where he is...

86WARD
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I would be pissed if the Steelers let him walk and I wouldn't be shocked by it...but I'd be pissed.

tube517
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Steelers have been pretty good about keeping their own players. However, WR has been a different story. Don't know what will happen but I am hoping Wallace stays. Young Money Crew has the potential of being great.

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
slap! Franchise Tag!

Take that "young money" now go out and actually catch the ball...thanks.

polamalubeast
01-12-2012, 09:28 AM
The steelers are not stupid...Wallace's situation is completely different than Santonio Holmes in 2010.

I am confident that the Steelers will make the right decision for Wallace... I hope he has a long term contract.

His situation looks like Lamarr Woodley in 2010....Many were in a panic because they thought that the Steelers were not going to keep it and get nothing in return.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I can't think of a FA, since the new stadium was built, that the Steelers lost that they really wanted to keep.

That being said, they are $22 Million over the cap right now. It will be interesting to see who stays, who goes, and how this all works out.

mortgageman
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
They may be 22 million over the cap, but they will be cutting/releasing some players that hold a big cap number, some will restructure and some will retire. Off the top of my head, these players will either be gone or restructure their deal...

Kemo, Farrior, Foote, Scott, Mcfadden, A. Smith, Hoke. Not to mention the possibility of Hampton and Colon. That is a ton of money right there. I also heard that they may choose to part ways with Harrison. Not sure what i think of that.

steelerdude15
01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I hope he doesn't leave, I'll be pissed if he does.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
It would be really foolish for the Steelers to allow him to leave. What is behind him:

Brown - stud receiver, but is he as effective without Wallace on the other side...probably not
Sanders - too injury prone to depend on for a full season
Cotchery - likely gone to FA
Ward - no longer a viable option as a starter

That is why I don't see the Steelers allowing him to leave. Someone may make a big run for him and throw him a bunch of cash, but hopefully the Steelers never let it get that far.

steeldevil
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I doubt he leaves.

But I also doubt he gets as much money as he might think he will get.

He is just not an elite WR yet....

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
They may be 22 million over the cap, but they will be cutting/releasing some players that hold a big cap number, some will restructure and some will retire. Off the top of my head, these players will either be gone or restructure their deal...

Kemo, Farrior, Foote, Scott, Mcfadden, A. Smith, Hoke. Not to mention the possibility of Hampton and Colon. That is a ton of money right there. I also heard that they may choose to part ways with Harrison. Not sure what i think of that.

I bet Harrison gets one more year. It's hard to say whether his back issues continued all season long or if he is slowing down. What is he going to be next season, 34?

XxKnightxX
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I bet Harrison gets one more year. It's hard to say whether his back issues continued all season long or if he is slowing down. What is he going to be next season, 34?

Yep 34, but I honestly havent seen any production out of him, hes not even double teamed anymore, and yeah hes held too much, but Dumervil is about the same height and he knows how to use his speed. Harrison tries to rely too much on a power rush and gets engaged by players and therefore held wtihout calls and gets no pass rush.

Austin87
01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Yep 34, but I honestly havent seen any production out of him, hes not even double teamed anymore, and yeah hes held too much, but Dumervil is about the same height and he knows how to use his speed. Harrison tries to rely too much on a power rush and gets engaged by players and therefore held wtihout calls and gets no pass rush.

I honestly don't agree with your post. Harrison had 9 sacks in 11 games and he's probably our best LB against the run. Also you can't compare Harrison with Dumervil, they are different players.

ALLD
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Harrison is good for a couple of KOs every season just when we need it. I was working with the brother of an NFL safety just last week and they both agreed that James Harrison is as bad as they come. He will know when to hang it up and 2012 is not the season.

Count Steeler
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Economically speaking, Wallace at 7-10 million may not sit to well with the FO, especially if they think they can pickup another young buck in the draft. Objectively speaking, Wallace had a poor second half of the season. Brown impressed so much to the point that his fellow teammates voted him MVP.

I can easily see Wallace with a different team next year, especially if Kevin can get an additional 1st and 3rd rounder.

steelreserve
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Now that Crazy Ole Al Davis is dead, the 5 year, 70 million dollar contract he'd have likely offered Wallace is also dead.

I think he stays right where he is...

You think $70 million is all? Maybe for 3 years. For 5 years it would've been more like $150M.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Economically speaking, Wallace at 7-10 million may not sit to well with the FO, especially if they think they can pickup another young buck in the draft. Objectively speaking, Wallace had a poor second half of the season. Brown impressed so much to the point that his fellow teammates voted him MVP.

I can easily see Wallace with a different team next year, especially if Kevin can get an additional 1st and 3rd rounder.

But what happens to Brown if Sanders still can't stay healthy? Who starts on the other side? Compound that if Cotchery leaves.

I think that part of the reason that Brown was so successful is that Wallace took away the coverage.

BigNastyDefense
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
He's a restricted free agent.

The Steelers will give him the highest tender, so IF we lose him, we get a first and third round pick out of the deal so it's not that HUGE of a loss then. Even if we lose him, we don't lose him for nothing.

Personally, I think he stays. Nobody knows what they mean by "Young Money," maybe it means that they expect to be able to make the plays in big moments. I don't see a team giving up a first and third for him. In the end, the Steelers work out a long term deal for him.

Count Steeler
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
But what happens to Brown if Sanders still can't stay healthy? Who starts on the other side? Compound that if Cotchery leaves.

I think that part of the reason that Brown was so successful is that Wallace took away the coverage.

especially if they think they can pickup another young buck in the draft. From my original post.

Think about it, pickup a second rounder or third rounder and pay him under 1M or dish out 8M? Wallace did not prove himself to be irreplaceable. Brown has the added dimension of returns.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Wallace stays and has a great career as a Steeler, but let's not loose sight of where our money would be most wisely spent.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
especially if they think they can pickup another young buck in the draft. From my original post.

Think about it, pickup a second rounder or third rounder and pay him under 1M or dish out 8M? Wallace did not prove himself to be irreplaceable. Brown has the added dimension of returns.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Wallace stays and has a great career as a Steeler, but let's not loose sight of where our money would be most wisely spent.

Even with drafting or signing a new WR, if...and I realize that it's a huge if...Wallace leaves, that would set this offense back even farther than it already is.

My only concern with Wallace is if a team offering him a contract puts a poison pill in the deal that hurts the Steelers if they sign him.

This is all speculation right now anyway. He probably gets signed and all this is a wash.

The Duke
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

This is where I'm at. Use the money on real offensive linemen. It will benefit the team much more in the long run

SteelGhost
01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
I expect him to sign a long term contract, he and Antonio are a great tandem. As we all know this is a pass-happy league and Ben needs to have 2 good WR's and nobody nows how healthy or not Sanders will be, and as many have said, probably Cotchery leaves the Steelers and father time is calling Hines name.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I bet Harrison gets one more year. It's hard to say whether his back issues continued all season long or if he is slowing down. What is he going to be next season, 34? He almost has to get another year. Worilds isnt the pass rusher they hoped he would be and Chris Carter is unknown.

ShutDown24
01-13-2012, 04:41 AM
As seems to be the general consensus I would hate to see the Steelers lose Mike Wallace. He might be the most exciting player I have ever watched. That being said, if we tender the highest offer to him; and another team signs him away - I believe we would receive a 1st & 3rd round picks. That's pretty tempting for a receiver who, although I love, is really a one-trick-pony at this stage of his career.