PDA

View Full Version : Steelers corners likely stronger in 2012

stillers4me
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
The Steelers signed Ike Taylor to a four-year contract worth $28 million before the season because he was the best of the existing cornerbacks on the roster and there wasn't a starter-capable player behind him.

And, despite what happened to him in the team's sudden and stunning playoff loss in Denver, Taylor will return and assume a similar role to the one he performed this season.

This time, though, the cornerback position should be much stronger in 2012, even though the Steelers finished the regular season with the NFL's No. 1-ranked pass defense. That is because the Steelers expect two or three of their young cornerbacks to contend for starting spots -- a scenario that did not exist when this season began.........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202698-66.stm#ixzz1jDIPZn3X

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd love it if Lewis, Brown, Allen were to step up and add to Taylor as CB's. Somehow I see the Steelers wanting another veteran like Gay or McFadden on the roster.

The Duke
01-12-2012, 06:16 AM
I really wouldn't mind Gay as a backup FS

Either Mundy or Will Allen will likely be gone anyway so we could use him to fill the spot. As long as Lewis/Brown/Alllen step up

suitanim
01-12-2012, 08:51 AM
We have drafted a lot of CB's lately. We need SOMEONE to step up. We need a NT and OL...can't keep picking CB's every year that don't pan out...

Austin87
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I really wouldn't mind Gay as a backup FS

I have been thinking the same for some time now. I think Gay and McFadden could be decent safeties.

ALLD
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
McFadd could be good in run support, but he does not appear to have the potential for sublime tackles like Polamalu, not that anybody else does either. At least Gay has speed.

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
The young CBs have shown some promise but none of them have yet shown that they're capable of being a quality starter in the NFL. IMO we still need to draft a CB this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
The young CBs have shown some promise but none of them have yet shown that they're capable of being a quality starter in the NFL. IMO we still need to draft a CB this year.
So you want to draft a CB from a NCAA school that also has not shown they can be a quality starter in the NFL in this years draft?? I dont follow the logic.

We need ILB, OG, NT, OT, OLB more than another CB.

Chidi29
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Cornerback is fine. It's a great situation to be in. Solid starters right now and if Allen or Brown step up (Allen is already on his way there) and deserve a role ahead of Gay or Lewis, then we're going to boast one of the better (albeit underrated) cornerback groups in the league.

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2012, 11:09 PM
So you want to draft a CB from a NCAA school that also has not shown they can be a quality starter in the NFL in this years draft?? I dont follow the logic.

We need ILB, OG, NT, OT, OLB more than another CB.

I didn't say that it was our TOP need but it's still a need.

Count Steeler
01-13-2012, 05:16 AM
First year for coach Lake and he has done a great job. Still have young corners that need to mature and get experience, but I think we are solid.

Is Lake a possible DC in our future?

mortgageman
01-13-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't think CB is one of the more pressing needs right now. Obviously the O-line needs some work. Another area of weakness this year seemed to be our ass rush. Our guys simply could not get off blocks. It was pathetic at times. I see teams like Houston and the Giants getting pressure by just bringing 4 guys. We never get pressure with just 4. We have to try to confuse the Oline with exotic blitzes to get to the QB and teams are now more and more prepared for them.

tube517
01-13-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't think CB is one of the more pressing needs right now. Obviously the O-line needs some work. Another area of weakness this year seemed to be our ass rush. Our guys simply could not get off blocks. It was pathetic at times. I see teams like Houston and the Giants getting pressure by just bringing 4 guys. We never get pressure with just 4. We have to try to confuse the Oline with exotic blitzes to get to the QB and teams are now more and more prepared for them.

:chuckle: