PDA

View Full Version : With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Which are the players the Steelers could drafted?

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Nose tackle Casey Hampton is 34 and will likely have knee surgery. The 6-5, 350-pound Poe is cut out of the same mold and should be a strong force in the middle of a 3-4 line.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andrew_perloff/01/10/2012.nfl.mock.draft/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

st33lersguy
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Hopefully a guard or nose tackle. I won't have a problem with inside linebacker

ShutDown24
01-13-2012, 04:53 AM
24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Nose tackle Casey Hampton is 34 and will likely have knee surgery. The 6-5, 350-pound Poe is cut out of the same mold and should be a strong force in the middle of a 3-4 line.

Absolutely.

suitanim
01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Jonathon Martin, LT, Stanford.

Dare to dream.

Aussie_steeler
01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Which are the players the Steelers could drafted?

#24 candidates at the moment include:

O line - Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders & Brandon Washington
D Line - Dontari Poe
LB - Donta Hightower, Zach Brown & Whitney Mercilus
WR - Mohammed Sanu & Alshon Jeffrey
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield & Stephon Gilmore
RB - Lamaar Miller

I think Upshaw, Worthy and a few others are gone.

I would take Peter Konz from that list

SteelMember
01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Jonathon Martin, LT, Stanford.

Dare to dream.

Please, let's.

Sticking with Stanford, how 'bout guard prospect David DeCastro.

zulater
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I want the best safety in the draft!

Texasteel
01-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Please, let's.

Sticking with Stanford, how 'bout guard prospect David DeCastro.

I would love it bud, but I think both the Stanford O-linemen are gone in the 1st 15 pick.

suitanim
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
DeCastro would be nice, too.

Since we're dreaming, how about both?

steelerdude15
01-14-2012, 07:49 PM
DeCastro would be nice, too.

Since we're dreaming, how about both?
I'd love DeCastro, but last time I checked, he is staying for his senior year, but I could be wrong.

Aussie_steeler
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
http://twitter.com/ddecastro52

I have decided to enter the NFL draft. Thanks to all who have supported me and Stanford football. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else

January 4 tweet

Steeltreal
01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
If Colbert is eying extra picks, acquire an extra 1st and 3rd from a team trying to sign Mike Wallace and not match the offer.
Then pull a possible Polamalu type trade up (from the 27th spot to the 16th)

Then I’d target Stephen Hill – 6’5’’ – Georgia Tech – (aka the next Limas Sweed) with one of the 3rd round picks.
Receiving corp is Brown , Sanders, Cotchery , Hill, Ward

Aussie_steeler
01-15-2012, 01:48 AM
If Colbert is eying extra picks, acquire an extra 1st and 3rd from a team trying to sign Mike Wallace and not match the offer.
Then pull a possible Polamalu type trade up (from the 27th spot to the 16th)

Then I’d target Stephen Hill – 6’5’’ – Georgia Tech – (aka the next Limas Sweed) with one of the 3rd round picks.
Receiving corp is Brown , Sanders, Cotchery , Hill, Ward

I posted this at another site in relation to trading Wallace for the rights to draft DeCastro. I said that I would trade Mike Wallace straight up for the rights to select David DeCastro. It directly relates to your post Steelreal

I believe the Steelers would trade Mike Wallace for the rights to draft David DeCastro based on the information below.

1. Mike Wallace is a Restricted Free Agent this year. The steelers front office has had the chance to offer him Contract 2. They havent.

2. He will be offered the highest level RFA tender which equates to approximately $2.5 million dollars and a 1st and 3rd round tender for
another team to gain his rights. Yes the steelers have the right to match but that is risky. Thus they are prepared to take this risk

3. Currently we are sitting at #24 in the draft. Using most draft trade value charts this pick equates to 740 points. The 3rd round pick equates to 150 points. At 890 points
Mike Wallace can be had for the equivalent of the #18 draft pick

4. All good judges admit that David DeCastro will be a top 15 pick. That equates to 1000 points plus.

5. Using that draft logic the Steelers front office ( at this point time, unless a contract is offered to Mike Wallace) would be prepared to consider the option of letting Mike Wallace go for the equal value of David DeCastro.

6. Therefore leaving the draft in April you could theoretically have

David DeCastro
1. #24 Donta Hightower ILB
2. #56 Josh Chapman NT
3. #88 Kevin Zeitler OG
4. #110 George Iloka FS
5. #142 Jarius Wright WR Arkansas 5'10 180" 4.34 speed
6. Who ever you want from here to fill any other holes

I wouldnt be drafting the next Limas Sweed. I would be trying to find the next Mike Wallace / Antonio Brown. You dont need to draft the next Limas Sweed because I believe he will be back at training camp this year competing for a spot ( if healthy)

Steeltreal
01-15-2012, 02:31 AM
I like the idea even if it were a top 10 talent that slid and we trade the #24th to move up. Colbert put most of the cap money on the defensive side of the ball last season for a reason, The offense has to suffer some kind of loss and its Mike Wallace or the Oline,

Iron Steeler
01-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Are we really considering trading mike Wallace?

Steeltreal
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
No "WE" are not . Just wishful thinking for a stronger draft.

Iron Steeler
01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I say we go best available at 24... or TRADE DOWN and have the luxury of having first rounders for the next five years. Aka. What the pats do every year

Aussie_steeler
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Not trading.

I am suggesting that as a restricted free agent I am willing to see if anyone makes him an offer.

Wallace is going to be a free agent and he is going to command big money ( as he thinks that he is top 5). The restricted free agent tag may actually work in the teams favour in a number of ways

1. If a team offers Wallace top 5 receiver money and it is more than you are prepared to pay you let him walk and you collect a 1st and a 3rd
2. If a team offers Wallace top 15 receiver money then you offer the sheet and get him to a reasonable contract
3. If no teams make an offer you have him on board for $2.5 million and you get a year to negotiate. You remind him that if he was a top 5 receiver why the hell didnt 27 teams line up to sign him as a RFA

All three scenarios work in the steelers favour.
NOTE if you had balls of steel you would only offer him the mid RFA tender that was a sole first round pick and slightly less money. Now that would scare the shit out of him).

Aussie_steeler
01-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Another perspective

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/01/15/losing-mike-wallace-is-a-real-possibility-for-steelers/

Other teams forums are already talking about Wallace being potentially available. It could become a reality

http://riggosrag.com/2012/01/11/who-will-the-redskins-target-in-free-agency/
http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1289967.15.html (http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1289967.15.html)

Steeltreal
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldnt be drafting the next Limas Sweed. I would be trying to find the next Mike Wallace / Antonio Brown. You dont need to draft the next Limas Sweed because I believe he will be back at training camp this year competing for a spot ( if healthy)

I don't know Limas is 27 injury riddled compared to a 20 year old Raw talent in Stephen Hill

steelerdude15
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
http://twitter.com/ddecastro52
I have decided to enter the NFL draft. Thanks to all who have supported me and Stanford football. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else

January 4 tweet

:dance:

LLT
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
#24 candidates at the moment include:

O line - Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders & Brandon Washington
D Line - Dontari Poe
LB - Donta Hightower, Zach Brown & Whitney Mercilus
WR - Mohammed Sanu & Alshon Jeffrey
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield & Stephon Gilmore
RB - Lamaar Miller

I think Upshaw, Worthy and a few others are gone.

I would take Peter Konz from that list

I would add OT Mike Adams to that list...it wont be too long before Zebrie Sanders starts sliding, and Adams works his way up to the top of the 2nd or the bottom of the first. I have NO idea how a scout can rate Sanders higher than Adams. Adams is a LT prospect who has great knee bend and is more athletic. Sanders is a waist bending RT who seems slow to me.

7willBheaven
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
With Denver and Houston loosing this weekend that should bump the Steelers to picking #27

Texasteel
01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I would add OT Mike Adams to that list...it wont be too long before Zebrie Sanders starts sliding, and Adams works his way up to the top of the 2nd or the bottom of the first. I have NO idea how a scout can rate Sanders higher than Adams. Adams is a LT prospect who has great knee bend and is more athletic. Sanders is a waist bending RT who seems slow to me.

I am starting to play with Poe in the 1st, but you know me, it would be very hard for me to pass on a lagitimate LT like Adams when the pick is actually made. When I look hard at this draft Ta'amu within reach in the 2nd, a player how's strengths are just what the Steelers ask their NTs to do, and players like Silatolu, Zeitler, and Kelemete likely there in the 3rd.

I'm also starting to lean toward George lloka in the 4th. I love Eddie Whitley, but lloka has the. size and speed I like in a FS

Texasteel
01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
With Denver and Houston loosing this weekend that should bump the Steelers to picking #27

I'm not sure how that works, but the Mocks I have seen posted today still have Denver picking one spot behind us.

7willBheaven
01-16-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure how that works, but the Mocks I have seen posted today still have Denver picking one spot behind us.

They may not have fixed it since the weekend. But the way I understood it is that the playoff teams go in the order of their records (except the SB teams) not in the order of elimination. I would love to have the 24th or higher pick...but I have a feeling we may end up in the 26-28th range when its all said and done.

Iron Steeler
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Whaaaat I thought it was how deep you made it in the playoffs. Then your record ?

st33lersguy
01-16-2012, 05:17 PM
They may not have fixed it since the weekend. But the way I understood it is that the playoff teams go in the order of their records (except the SB teams) not in the order of elimination. I would love to have the 24th or higher pick...but I have a feeling we may end up in the 26-28th range when its all said and done.

That's how it's used to be. Now it depends on what round you were eliminated then record. The Steelers locked up the 24th pick last Sunday and that is the pick they hold until they trade it away

86WARD
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Trading Mike Wallace for a "stronger" draft and weakening the team...horrible idea. HORRIBLE...

steelerdude15
01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Trading Mike Wallace for a "stronger" draft and weakening the team...horrible idea. HORRIBLE...
This.

Steeltreal
01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Guess you still dont understand what a Restricted Free Agent is.

7willBheaven
01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
That's how it's used to be. Now it depends on what round you were eliminated then record. The Steelers locked up the 24th pick last Sunday and that is the pick they hold until they trade it away

When did they change it? I've never really payed attention to it come draft time and all. I think doing it based off when you're eliminated is better in my opinion so I'm glad they do it that way now.

st33lersguy
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
When did they change it? I've never really payed attention to it come draft time and all. I think doing it based off when you're eliminated is better in my opinion so I'm glad they do it that way now.

A few years ago, I think it was first instituted in the 2010 draft

7willBheaven
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
A few years ago, I think it was first instituted in the 2010 draft

Oh OK thanks!

SteelMember
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I am starting to play with Poe in the 1st, but you know me, it would be very hard for me to pass on a lagitimate LT like Adams when the pick is actually made. When I look hard at this draft Ta'amu within reach in the 2nd, a player how's strengths are just what the Steelers ask their NTs to do, and players like Silatolu, Zeitler, and Kelemete likely there in the 3rd.

Does anyone have concern about Poe coming from a "smaller" school... and I'm talking about taking him in the 1st round here.
He is indeed a great specimen, but his competition was arguably much weaker. I have to admit, I haven't seen much for Memphis games. Does he have good technique or is he just getting by with his size? Drawing a lot of double teams no doubt.
If he was a skill position player, I probably don't question the ranking as much, but a NT in the bigs is going to have to battle and no quit when he gets frustrated for things that came so easy to him before. Same concern some had for Cody, but at least he saw some better competition.

Iron Steeler
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
All I know about poe is his height and his weight. I never like going with a small school guy in first round. If we are smart and he is best value I say trade down and gather picks

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Do you guys think Brandon Thompson (Clemson) could be a fit at 3-4 Nose? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I really haven't seen him play past what clips I can find online.

LLT
01-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Do you guys think Brandon Thompson (Clemson) could be a fit at 3-4 Nose? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I really haven't seen him play past what clips I can find online.

I think that Thompson COULD play NT...but would be developmental to begin with due to his inability to push the pocket. He is something of an enigma to me. He has huge THIGHS and seems to be built for a 3-4 NT, but his skill set is most definately that of a 4-3 DT. He has a fantastic first step but seems to lack the ability to use his strength to demand the double team. Too often blocked one on one and allows linemen to steer him instead of pushing them back into the pocket.

That being said...he might be drafted earlier than predicted by a 4-3 team.

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 04:52 AM
I think that Thompson COULD play NT...but would be developmental to begin with due to his inability to push the pocket. He is something of an enigma to me. He has huge THIGHS and seems to be built for a 3-4 NT, but his skill set is most definately that of a 4-3 DT. He has a fantastic first step but seems to lack the ability to use his strength to demand the double team. Too often blocked one on one and allows linemen to steer him instead of pushing them back into the pocket.

That being said...he might be drafted earlier than predicted by a 4-3 team.

He seems to have ideal size. 6'2 is stout enough and 310 isn't a bad weight. He'd probably put on a few pounds before his rookie season even. But the consensus seems to be he can't generate any kind of pass rush. So basically, from what I can tell we wouldn't be much worse off just re-signing Hampton. Unless of course the coaches see something in him that makes them think they can turn Thompson into a player that other teams will have to double team.

Thanks, LLT. I trust you and some of the guys here a lot more than I do a lot of the writers on these draft sites. Although in this case you seem to have validated all the negatives that I have read on this player.

I really hope the Steelers find a value at Nose. I'm starting to worry Poe won't be there.

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
I am hoping tha Ta'ama will be there when we pick in the 2nd. The kids strong points are just what the Steelers ask their NT to do. Is strong with a very quick first step. Can colapes the pocket and draw double teams. Will not run anyone down from behind but first 2 or 3 steps are quick than a lot of the lighter NT, such as Chapman. Great run stopper in the middle. Sound like a Steeler to me.

LLT
01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
I had originally though that we might go NT with the first pick and under the right circumstances ...I can still see that happening.

However, with the way things are working out and with the changes on draft boards...I am seeing the possibility of us grabbing an OT VERY early in this draft. Here is a list of some of those that are being talked about in the early rounds.

Matt Kalil, Southern California, 6-6, 295, 5.05, JR …Best of the class...will be a top 5 prospect.
NO CHANCE that he is available for the Steelers

Riley Reiff, Iowa, 6-5, 300, 4.95, JR … Converted TE with a quick first step, understands leverage...I wouldnt be surprised to see some teams rank him higher than Kalil. Top 10 prospect.
NO CHANCE that he is available for the Steelers

Jonathan Martin, Stanford, 6-6, 305, 5.30, JR … LT prospect with thin frame but great balance and a solid puch. Will need to add some weight. Top 15 pick.
Available to Steelers if we trade up...but not likely.

Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, 6-5, 310, 5.30, SR … Overrated RT prospect that will possible start sliding down draft boards due to being heavy footed and and waist bender. Will still be over drafted by some team enamored with his run blocking ability.
May be available to the Steelers but hopefully we pass on him. (I want to like him due to his outstanding character...but cant do it)

Mike Adams, Ohio State, 6-6, 320, 5.25, SR … Tall, lean offensive tackle, quick footed and athletic ...good hand placement. Natural knee bender but sometimes raises out of his stance. One year in a weight room and behind a vet and some team may have a legit LT.
Available to the Steelers at the end of the first round. Rising up draft boards. This may be the most likely candidate at the end of the first round.

Andrew Datko, Florida State, 6-6, 321, 5.15, SR … Great work ethic...Great strength...plays too tall at time and comes with medical red flags due to shoulder surgeries. Will be high on some teams draft board and completly removed from others.
Possibly available at end of 2nd round if Steelers believe shoulder issues are a thing of the past.

Nate Potter, Boise State, 6-6, 298, 5.10, SR … Smart LT prospect who seems to be technically sound. Thin lowere body makes him look like a TE. Will need to add weight and gain strength. Great developmental player for a patiant team.
Currently ranked as a late 2nd rounder...would be available to the Steelers at that pick but doesnt seem to fit our system. If he can gain 20-25 pounds before the combine he will climb boards.

Brandon Mosley, Auburn, 6-5, 310, 5.25, SR … Developmental prospect who is very athletic. Long arms and good feet. Good strength but not technically sound at this point. With a good O-line coach , he could be a steal if he slips to the backside of the third round. Might be a good fit at LG.
I actually love this guy. If we dont grab Adams in the first, I would be tempted to draft Mosley at the end of the 2nd. If he is there at the end of the third..this is a no brainer.

Matt McCants, Alabama-Birmingham, 6-6, 295, 5.25, SR ... A LT prospect who is somewhat raw.... excellent pass blocker who has a natural knee bend. Doesn’t seem to get much push and seems to lack leverage... needs to get bigger and stronger....had academics issues and medical red flag.
Another of the tall thin OT's that seem to be prevelant in this draft. Developmental LT who may take a year or two to crack a starting lineup. Another player that I want to like based on eye test...but my gut says we should pass on him in the third round.

Tony Bergstrom, Utah, 6-5, 315, 5.30, SR … RT prospect with some athleticism... Thick lower body ...good strength...a mauler who gets off the snap quickly and will stay with block, struggles with leverage... didnt give up a sack in 2010, but will struggle against quick NFL pass rushers at the next level.
I wouldnt mind Bergstrom if we thought that Gilbert might eventually play LT. He should be there at the end of the third if we are still looking for an OT.

Bobbie Massie, Mississippi, 6-6, 325, 5.15, JR … Played RT for Ole Miss but athletic enough to play LT ...excellent size.... long arms...quick feet....good knee bender with good balance. Solid drive blocker who finishes off block.
OK...I LOVE this guy...(shhhhhhhh....lets not tell anyone that he should be a 2nd rounder) I would pull ther trigger on him in a heartbeat if he is there at the end of the third round.

LLT
01-18-2012, 05:41 AM
I am hoping tha Ta'ama will be there when we pick in the 2nd. The kids strong points are just what the Steelers ask their NT to do. Is strong with a very quick first step. Can colapes the pocket and draw double teams. Will not run anyone down from behind but first 2 or 3 steps are quick than a lot of the lighter NT, such as Chapman. Great run stopper in the middle. Sound like a Steeler to me.

Totally agree with you.

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 05:52 AM
However, with the way things are working out and with the changes on draft boards...I am seeing the possibility of us grabbing an OT VERY early in this draft. Here is a list of some of those that are being talked about in the early rounds.

I can understand wanting a stud Tackle. But with what the team has invested in Colon, and the promise Gilbert showed last year - I'm just not sure I can see the Steelers picking an Offensive Tackle so early. Obviously if a player like Reiff fell I don't think we could pass on him. But other than an OT being heads and shoulders BPA, I just don't think the team will target one?

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 06:16 AM
All I know about poe is his height and his weight. I never like going with a small school guy in first round. If we are smart and he is best value I say trade down and gather picks

I know this can change, but right now I think I see the BAP at that point to be Adams, or Konz

LLT
01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
I can understand wanting a stud Tackle. But with what the team has invested in Colon, and the promise Gilbert showed last year - I'm just not sure I can see the Steelers picking an Offensive Tackle so early. Obviously if a player like Reiff fell I don't think we could pass on him. But other than an OT being heads and shoulders BPA, I just don't think the team will target one?

The problem lies at the LT position. Unless the Front Office thinks that Gilbert is going to move to the left side, then we are heavy on the right side. Starks is a free agent and was brought back (after being cut) because we had NO ONE who could legitimately man the left side.

Our problems on the front line are two-fold. 1) We need a legit LT prospect 2) We need an OG who can man the position and stop the constant switching out every week. In a perfect world i would like to see Colon come back and play OG and keep Gilbert at RT. We might be able to sign Starks to a one year deal since noone even gave him a sniff after we cut him. He can man the Left side, until the drafted tackle either moves to to LT or goes to RT so that Gilbert can man the left side.

I will take some crap for this but I would like to see a lineup of:
Starks/Mike Adams (drafted rookie) at LT
Legursky/Amini Silatolu(drafted rookie) at LG
Pouncey at OC
Colon at RG
Gilbert at RT

LLT
01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
I know this can change, but right now I think I see the BAP at that point to be Adams, or Konz

Yep.

Adams in the first and either Amini Silatolu or Kevin Zeitler in the third
or
Konz in the first (to play guard or ...center if we move Pouncey to guard) and Brandon Mosely or Bobbie Massie in the third.

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 06:29 AM
The pro

Pouncey at OC
Colon at RG
Gilbert at RT

Actually, I like this lineup. I don't think many here know how good Silatolu can be. I just have a problem trusting Colon, I'm not sure we can count on him.

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 06:33 AM
Yep.

Adams in the first and either Amini Silatolu or Kevin Zeitler in the third
or
Konz in the first (to play guard or ...center if we move Pouncey to guard) and Brandon Mosely or Bobbie Massie in the third.

I'm still not thrilled with Mosely, but you have been better with OTs than I have the last few years.

You sandwich Ta'ama in there and we would have a draft that could make an impact on our team right away.

LLT
01-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Actually, I like this lineup. I don't think many here know how good Silatolu can be. I just have a problem trusting Colon, I'm not sure we can count on him.

He hasnt been very durable.....just another reason that the tackle position becomes a priority.

LLT
01-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm still not thrilled with Mosely, but you have been better with OTs than I have the last few years.

You sandwich Ta'ama in there and we would have a draft that could make an impact on our team right away.

I'm glad to see my prediction that OT Adams would end up being a first round pick....is on the money. Looks like the scouts are loving him at the east west practices.

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
1st --- Adams
2nd --- Ta'ama
3rd --- Silatolu
4th --- ????
James-Michael Johnson, Tyler Nielsen, Emmanuel Acho?

You didn't really think I was going to leave the Iowa boy out did you?

LLT
01-18-2012, 07:05 AM
1st --- Adams
2nd --- Ta'ama
3rd --- Silatolu
4th --- ????
James-Michael Johnson, Tyler Nielsen, Emmanuel Acho?

You didn't really think I was going to leave the Iowa boy out did you?

Great call on Nielson....Love his athleticism and his ability to cover the TE. Call me crazy....but out of that group...I would be VERY inclined grab him in hte 4th and move him to ILB. I need to do some research to see if his neck injury is fully healed.

SteelMember
01-18-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm glad to see my prediction that OT Adams would end up being a first round pick....is on the money. Looks like the scouts are loving him at the east west practices.

I've seen rankings putting him only behind Matt Kalil... The obvious number 1 OT. Which makes me think a guy like Riley Reiff could be within our reach if we go this route.

LLT
01-18-2012, 07:26 AM
I've seen rankings putting him only behind Matt Kalil... The obvious number 1 OT. Which makes me think a guy like Riley Reiff could be within our reach if we go this route.

I dont know if Reiff will fall far enough for us to trade up for him...but we can always hope!!!

Texasteel
01-18-2012, 07:36 AM

I have my doubts, but you never know. Adams, Reiff, or Martin, I would be happy with any one of them.

5th round - Sean Cattouse maybe, SS, 6'2", 215lbs, 4.56/40. 50 tackles, 36 unassisted, 4 INTs. I thought he look like a good open field tackler.
I think my 1st mock is starting to take shape.

LLT
01-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I have my doubts, but you never know. Adams, Reiff, or Martin, I would be happy with any one of them.

6th round - Sean Cattouse maybe, SS, 6'2", 215lbs, 4.56/40. 50 tackles, 36 unassisted, 4 INTs. I thought he look like a good open field tackler.
I think my 1st mock is starting to take shape.

Here is the last draft that I had a few weeks ago.

1st Round: OT Mike Adams of Ohio State....6'6 320
Athletic former TE with good knee bend and solid strong base. Gonzo will love his kick slide...very smooth. Will be a legitimate LT prospect with a year or two to learn the system... while throwing himself into an NFL weight program.

2nd Round: NT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington... 6'3 337
Wont win any foot races but will collapse the pocket and demand the second blocker.

3rd Round: OG Amini Silatolu of Midwestern State....6'3 324
Oh....how I love me some Div II talent. Silatolu is a Mauler who is quick footed and solid at pass and run.

4th Round: ILB Emmanuel Acho of Texas...6'2 245 lbs
Those who have watched him this year know that he can be a violent tackler. Actually much better in pass coverage than I thought he was when I watched him last year. I wanted his brother Sam when he was drafted but would be very happy to get the younger Acho.

5th Round: SS/FS Trenton Robinson of Michigan State....5'10 195
Runs a 4.46...athletic...and a playmaker. Has played strong and free safety. Good value for the 5th round

6th Round: QB Chandler Harnish of Northern Illinois...6'2 220
Hmmmmm...a 6th round QB prospect who had a QB rating of 156.14 in 2010 and 137.9 in 2009. As a freshman he led NIU in total offense with an average of 206.7 yards per game and set the NIU record for total offense by a freshman with 2,067 yards. Ranked 10th in the MAC in rushing yards with 539 on 118 attempts (4.6 yards per carry) and completed 118-of-211 passes with eight touchdowns for an efficiency rating of 120.7

7th Round: DE Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati .... 6-5 300
Played DT for Cincinnatti but would be a DE in our system...Best player you have never heard of...had 21.5 tackels for loss this year with 9.5 sacks. Had 37 career TFL and 18.5 career sacks

Switch out Acho for Nielson...and there you have it!!!

Bluecoat96
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty excited for the draft. I was off of work for paternity leave during the combine/predraft stuff last year, and tuned in to the NFLN pretty much every day all day. Mike Mayock is the man. Mel Kiper can go jump in a lake. :)

That being said, I could really see us trade up a bit to target a need. (DeCastro?)

LLT
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty excited for the draft. I was off of work for paternity leave during the combine/predraft stuff last year, and tuned in to the NFLN pretty much every day all day. Mike Mayock is the man. Mel Kiper can go jump in a lake. :)

That being said, I could really see us trade up a bit to target a need. (DeCastro?)

I absolutely love DeCastro.....but this draft is VERY deep at the OG position. I have to wonder if we would trade up, knowing that players like Konz may be there at #24....ot even that Silatolu or Zeitler could be there in the 2nd-3rd round.

If we are going to trade up for a Guard....I think the third round is the target area. Trading up from the bottom of the third to the middle or top of the third round.

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
The problem lies at the LT position. Unless the Front Office thinks that Gilbert is going to move to the left side, then we are heavy on the right side. Starks is a free agent and was brought back (after being cut) because we had NO ONE who could legitimately man the left side.

Our problems on the front line are two-fold. 1) We need a legit LT prospect 2) We need an OG who can man the position and stop the constant switching out every week. In a perfect world i would like to see Colon come back and play OG and keep Gilbert at RT. We might be able to sign Starks to a one year deal since noone even gave him a sniff after we cut him. He can man the Left side, until the drafted tackle either moves to to LT or goes to RT so that Gilbert can man the left side.

Pouncey at OC
Colon at RG
Gilbert at RT

That lineup looks good to me. But I just don't feel that is how the team envisions it. I think they drafted Gilbert with the idea that he is going to be the left tackle of the future. Colon was a guard when he came out of school wasn't he? I do think they are too stubborn with him at RT. But when it comes down to it I just think we have bigger needs to address in the first three rounds than tackle. Who knows though, we shall see.

I get the feeling that this draft is going to be an important one. I can't remember a year where addressing several concerns through the draft was more necessary than this.

Aussie_steeler
01-19-2012, 04:00 AM

Pouncey at OC
Colon at RG
Gilbert at RT

I think the steelers will go slightly different LLT. By mid season, barring injuries I can see the first string O line being

LT - Gilbert ( has been groomed to be the future LT)
LG - First Round Pick ( IMO Konz)
C - Pouncey
RG - Foster ( RG has always been the cheap ass option on the line. Nothing will change)
RT - Colon ( Money has been invested and he will be back)

I still believe the draft ( barring a major tumble like 2008 when Mendenhall fell 10 plus spots) will be

1. OG
2. ILB or NT
3. OT / OG swingman
4. ILB or NT
5. BPA

Using that Logic

1. Peter Konz OG Wisconsin
2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
4. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas
5. Jordan White WR Western Michigan
6. Tony Dye SS UCLA
7. Austin Davis QB Sth Miss
7. Markus Kuhn DE NC State

Texasteel
01-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Nice work Aussie, and I would be very happy with that draft. I just have a feeling that they will try to trade up in the second to draft Ta'ama. He is a little quicker than Chapman with better punch at the snap, and IMO is a little better on run defence. I also think that Jordan White will continue to climb in the draft and a team will grab him early 4th, late 3rd.

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 05:17 AM
2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
6. Tony Dye SS UCLA

That looks like good value in every round to me. I would love it if the board fell like that. Picks 1, 2 and 4 could help out immediately.

LLT
01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
That lineup looks good to me. But I just don't feel that is how the team envisions it. I think they drafted Gilbert with the idea that he is going to be the left tackle of the future. Colon was a guard when he came out of school wasn't he? I do think they are too stubborn with him at RT. But when it comes down to it I just think we have bigger needs to address in the first three rounds than tackle. Who knows though, we shall see.

I get the feeling that this draft is going to be an important one. I can't remember a year where addressing several concerns through the draft was more necessary than this.

I agree that the lineup I want to see is probably not going to happen and for the exact two reasons that you expressed. 1) The coaches seem determined to keep Colon on the outside 2) Gilbert was drafted to be the LT of the future.

I am just not sure that Gilbert is ready to move to Ben's blind side. Hopefully it all comes together for him and we can see him make that progression without a problem, but I am thinking that he may need one more year. Even if he can move this next year...we are painfully thin at OT. I am sure that we will see the Steelers draft at least two bodies along the front line. I predict that this will be the third year in a row in which we pick up a lineman in the first two rounds and probably another lineman within the first four rounds.

LLT
01-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I think the steelers will go slightly different LLT. By mid season, barring injuries I can see the first string O line being

LT - Gilbert ( has been groomed to be the future LT)
LG - First Round Pick ( IMO Konz)
C - Pouncey
RG - Foster ( RG has always been the cheap ass option on the line. Nothing will change)
RT - Colon ( Money has been invested and he will be back)

I still believe the draft ( barring a major tumble like 2008 when Mendenhall fell 10 plus spots) will be

1. OG
2. ILB or NT
3. OT / OG swingman
4. ILB or NT
5. BPA

Using that Logic

2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
6. Tony Dye SS UCLA

Love the Konz and Massie picks!!! Give me my OT ande OG in the first three rounds and I'm golden!!

Not sure about the Marjus Kuhn pick. He seems like a UDFA...but for some reason...I do like the last name....hmmmmmm.

Aussie_steeler
01-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Love the Konz and Massie picks!!! Give me my OT ande OG in the first three rounds and I'm golden!!

Not sure about the Marjus Kuhn pick. He seems like a UDFA...but for some reason...I do like the last name....hmmmmmm.

Having watched the bowl game to see how JR Sweezy performed I walked away way more impressed with Markus Kuhn. I think he has more upside and has a much better head / track record than Sweezy.

Apparently Josh Chapman played the second half of the season with a torn ACL and meniscus in his knee. How a big man anchors and dominates without a fully functional knee is beyond me. Through in that he is from a pro - style college program of Nick Sabans I think he will be the better pro