PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Wallace faded at the finish

SteelerEmpire
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Ouch...

Article:

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH -- In two weeks, Mike Wallace will bask in the warm Hawaiian sun. He'll be there basking in the glory of his selection as a Pro Bowl wide receiver.

LINK: http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-wallace-faded-at-the-finish/article_8e7d1c56-3c17-11e1-b8b1-0019bb30f31a.html

BigNastyDefense
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't know how much it is he faded, or more so Ben couldn't get him the ball, especially once he hurt his ankle. We got spoiled with 100 yard games from him for what, 7 straight weeks including last season? No player is going to have 16 100 yard games in a season.

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I love Wallace

each WR have a slump in his career.

Even Calvin Johnson had a mid-season slump this year.

O'Malley
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
He got doubled up and Brown reaped the rewards... They're a great tandom.

XxKnightxX
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
He got doubled up and Brown reaped the rewards... They're a great tandom.

I understand that, and maybe Wallace is learning what it is to be a receiver who is doubled up all season long. But regardless of the matter, you gotta find a way to get yourself open.

ALLD
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Wallace got blocked at the line and he never got open. Not to mention he started dropping passes. I would not write him a blank check, Brown is our true #1 now.

st33lersguy
01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Wallace truly was barely existent. It seemed that the only time I heard his name called, he was dropping a pass

crcsnail
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
i thought he got a bit worried about the hits coming his way . he seemed fearless at the start of the season but then i thought he started hearing footsteps . still a great receiver though for the steelers .

Count Steeler
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
That's bad for him heading into his new contract year. He may just get the franchise tag, or a deal worth a little less than he would have got at the beginning of this season. With the emergence of Brown as MVP and possibly #1 receiver, Sanders perhaps getting healthy, Cotchery, Ward and perhaps Grisham or another young WR, Wallace's agent has to be careful if Wallace wants to remain a Steeler long term. Don't get too greedy, Mike. I want to see you in the Black and Gold for the long haul.

Edman
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Ben faded near the end of the season too. Should we get rid of him, as well?

Injuries did the team in this year.

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Ben faded near the end of the season too.

true

oneforthetoe
01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Ben faded near the end of the season too.

This. There were a few games where I don't think Ben could throw the ball more than 20 yards.

steel striker
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I still think a healthy Ben would have made a big difference and, we would not even have this conversation. But that is neither here or there.

NCSteeler
01-13-2012, 01:11 AM
This. There were a few games where I don't think Ben could throw the ball more than 20 yards.

But I thought this was the year Wallace ran all the routes and became more than just a deep threat. He got pretty good at dropping passes lately too. No biggie I'm sure he'll turn it around.

oneforthetoe
01-13-2012, 01:45 AM
But I thought this was the year Wallace ran all the routes and became more than just a deep threat. He got pretty good at dropping passes lately too. No biggie I'm sure he'll turn it around.

True, he dropped some balls. However, even though he has gotten better at being a complete receiver, I think if you completely take away his deep threat (which effectively happened with Ben's injury) it is kind of natural that his over all game would suffer. Also, with Brown presumably open more than Ward was when he was in there, it is possible that Ben is looking more for Brown at those intermediate routes.