PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

zulater
01-11-2012, 05:32 AM
On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Hines Ward wants to make a few things perfectly clear: He wants to play for the Steelers in 2012, but, if they do not want him, he still wants to play next season

He just does not want to think about the second part of the equation at the moment.

"It would be weird, not how I want it to happen," Ward said of playing for another team next season. "But I do want to play. I still think I can play. I'm not even thinking like that -- what if. If that scenario happens, I'll be devastated, but I do want to play football."

He understands he would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million salary next season. He has two seasons left on his contract and is willing to do that. Such a decision must be made, however, by March 1 because Ward said a clause in his contract states that they must guarantee his job by then or release him.

"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," Ward said of the pay cut. "That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications -- we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66-0.stm#ixzz1j9GWjkiH

zulater
01-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Many have said he no longer can play, that he's not getting "separation" anymore. The Steelers coaches seem to think that too, which is why I believe those coaches do not want him back. But if they force him out, I believe there will be some teams who would welcome him to their roster -- not as a No. 1 or maybe even a No. 2, but as a proven, veteran possession receiver who can impart his knowledge on some younger receivers. Arizona, for example, would be among them, especially with Ward's old position coach and offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114311-ed-ward-has-bonus-due-in-march

Steelers West, here he comes? :noidea:

stillers4me
01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Oh, God. NO!!!! that just doens't make any sense....doesn't he want to win another superbowl??

HometownGal
01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm :pray:ing Hines and the FO can work out something mutually agreeable and he will remain a Steeler until he decides to retire. He is way too important in that locker room not only as a leader but as a mentor to the youngins.

NCSteeler
01-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Even with a paycut, which WR do you bump off the roster to make room, Battle?

GBMelBlount
01-11-2012, 06:31 AM
HometownGal

I'm :pray:ing Hines and the FO can work out something mutually agreeable and he will remain a Steeler until he decides to retire. He is way too important in that locker room not only as a leader but as a mentor to the youngins.
Agreed HTG, but judging by his demeanor, especially the last game, I can't help but wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

I love Hines to pieces but if he is not happy it may affect his attitude and the chemistry.

If only we had Holmes back....he was such a great mentor to the youngins. :smoker:

mortgageman
01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
How much do number 4/5 wrs make these days? That is what he is on this team and how he should get compensated. He essentially is the #5, but if they want to pay him as a 4th wr bc of his presence toward the young wrs, than that's fine.

tube517
01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Agreed HTG, but judging by his demeanor, especially the last game, I can't help but wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

I love Hines to pieces but if he is not happy it may affect his attitude and the chemistry.

If only we had Holmes back....he was such a great mentor to the youngins. :smoker:

Yeah. Captain material too! :chuckle:

GodfatherofSoul
01-11-2012, 09:53 AM
How much do number 4/5 wrs make these days? That is what he is on this team and how he should get compensated. He essentially is the #5, but if they want to pay him as a 4th wr bc of his presence toward the young wrs, than that's fine.

The problem is we can get 4-5 WR talent in the later rounds of the draft at rookie minimum.

mortgageman
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
The problem is we can get 4-5 WR talent in the later rounds of the draft at rookie minimum.

Yes, and we've proven to be pretty good at drafting WRs late in the draft. I'm not sure what the Steelers can do here. I'm sure they were hoping Ward would retire. From a football sense, he is not needed, but it is very difficult from a PR sense to cut him and watch him sign with another team.

tube517
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes, and we've proven to be pretty good at drafting WRs late in the draft. I'm not sure what the Steelers can do here. I'm sure they were hoping Ward would retire. From a football sense, he is not needed, but it is very difficult from a PR sense to cut him and watch him sign with another team.

Could this be 1983 all over again w/Franco leaving to be a Seasqwak? Ugh. Like Franco, I can't see the man in another uniform. First dibs goes to Arizona for sure but that would be sad.

Austin87
01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Hines is a TRUE Steeler. One of my all-time favourites.

GodfatherofSoul
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I think Hines knows what he's doing with all these adamant non-retirement comments. He's putting the pressure on the front office to cut him. As fantastic as he's been in the past, he's nowhere close to that guy anymore. Trotting out to gaps in zones worked for a while before defenses figured out he isn't getting past anyone anymore. In this league, I'd rather have a fast rookie with upside out there who could potential become the next Ward or AB.

SteelerEmpire
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
There's certainly room for Hines on this team. In fact he fits Ben's strengths in passing. Ben still is not that accurate in throwing those long bomb type passes (like to Wallace or Brown), but short and mid-field strikes is what he's best at and that's an area of the field that Hines specializes in. Hines and Ben have been playing together so long that the chemistry between those two should be off the charts as I bet they can both close their eyes and complete passes to each other.
The 'long bomb' was no where around when we won the last 2 SB's. It's cool to see the long bombs as they make good highlights, but it's something new to this team and something their not that good at yet. Seems like Ben threw around 10 in an early season game (I think against the Browns) and completed like only 2 or 3, and the WR's had their men beat. I like our new WR core and passing philosophy, but it still has a long way to go. Based on that, I'm still not "comfortable" with this ultra passing approach. It needs to be mastered by this team, and mastered quick... or go back to the proven ground and pound style offense.

vader29
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Even with a paycut, which WR do you bump off the roster to make room, Battle?

Don't forget we have to have room for Sweed next season also. :chuckle:

O'Malley
01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
If we kept Batch and Dixon this long I think Hines deserves a contract for sure!!! Cut Dixon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zulater
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Personally I'd rather our 5th receiver be making rookie wages and be a special teams demon. Hines doesn't even block particularly well anymore. He isn't even worth paying veterans minimum in my opinion.

I've seen he said he'd restructure, which is way different than offering to take a pay cut. so he's really not offering the Steelers a discount rate when you get down to it.

Hey I understand he was a great Steeler. But he's not good enough anymore. Same as Aaron Smith, and maybe Farrior. You need to get younger. You can't carry 7 figure salaries on players who will barely contribute on the field.

Hines should retire. But if he can't see it, let him play elsewhere, as hard as that may be to watch.

XxKnightxX
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
If we kept Batch and Dixon this long I think Hines deserves a contract for sure!!! Cut Dixon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there we go Ward 3rd String QB and 8th receiver on the depth chart hahaha.

ALLD
01-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Hines drops the first pass thrown to him every game. He needs to retire before a DB takes his head off. He is not as aware of the field as he used to be. He could get seriously injured if he continues to play.