PDA

View Full Version : When You're a Die-hard Steelers Fan, it's More than "Just a Game"

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Of all the places to have to sit through a game as emotionally draining as the Steelers heartbreaking overtime loss in Denver Sunday night, a bowling alley would rank up there as one of the last places I'd want to view such a contest.

Well, unfortunately, because of my love for bowling as well as my loyalty to my bowling team, there I was trying to concentrate on helping my team win, while at the same time, rushing over to the television in-between turns to see if the Steelers could pull out a pulsating victory in a game I thought they would have had in the bag by the time I rolled my first ball at 7pm.

When Tim Tebow continued his improbable 2011 season with an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play in overtime, and the harsh reality had set in for me, I looked like I had lost my best friend. The reason why I know this is because my bowling teammates kept reminding me of it time and time again as they tried to get me to "snap out of it." I wasn't in any hurry to snap out of it. I wanted to wallow in my misery. I had just witnessed one of the most disappointing losses in my team's history. My teammates were sort of making light of my demeanor, and of course, said what a lot of people who don't really "get it" say in that situation--"it's only a game, Tony."

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/10/2696271/when-youre-a-die-hard-steelers-fan-its-more-than-just-a-game

XxKnightxX
01-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Thankfully for me, I had that moment after years Super Bowl Loss, Ive always gotten over games the Steelers lost , but the Super bowl loss hurt, really hurt. But I quickly realized, 3 super bowl appereances within 5 years, no need to be spoiled, and seeing teams like the Texans and Lions make it into the big dance can only mean one thing. We cant win them all, and the balance of power will shift in this league. And as much as it has shifted throughout the years, guess whos been the same year in and year out? Yup, the Steelers. We lost, it sucked, and thats why it hurts us when we lose, because not a lot of teams or fans get the pleasure to rub it in our faces when the Steelers lose to the other opposing teams.

tube517
01-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I sat through 1985-1988, 1998-99, 2003, 2006, 2009. They all sucked.

The 1994 AFCC game was the sickest feeling in my sportsfan life. The expectations were so high, that I felt like a disaster happened when the pass to Foster went incomplete. This loss to Denver sucked but it didn't compare because I had low expectations because of all the injuries. XLV hurt alot (after all, it was the Super Bowl) but the expectations, for me, were not like 1994. XXX hurt, too, because the lead was shortened to 3 points until O'Bummel threw a dagger into my heart. But again, the expectations were low because we were a huge underdog. I'm still mad we lost to the Ravens twice. But, the season is over so I can't wait for 2012.

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2012, 08:41 AM
I think watching the opening to the SB XL DVD would help some people. It shows every painful playoff loss the Steelers had prior to the "Bettis goes Home" Super Bowl victory. Those games, those AFC Title Game losses were so fckign painful, the Super Bowl Loss to the Cowboys, Hurt so much...and then last years loss to the Packers because our Offense was -3 in turnovers, (and yes, that is the only reason we lost) Hurt a lot.

this game, with 1/3 of our starting roster not in the game...eh...I can handle it.

slippy
01-11-2012, 09:33 AM
2001 was the killer loss for me, especially coming after all the 90's losses. steelers put together the best body of work in 2001 and brady was the definition of 'game manager' that year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
2001 was the killer loss for me, especially coming after all the 90's losses. steelers put together the best body of work in 2001 and brady was the definition of 'game manager' that year.

Not to mention Bledsoe had to come in that game and we let up a Punt Return and FG Block TD in that game.

Arkiesteel
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Sitting in the stands last year at the super bowl and then walking back thru the parking lot with my head held low was ruff

steelpinstripe87
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I think watching the opening to the SB XL DVD would help some people. It shows every painful playoff loss the Steelers had prior to the "Bettis goes Home" Super Bowl victory. Those games, those AFC Title Game losses were so fckign painful, the Super Bowl Loss to the Cowboys, Hurt so much...and then last years loss to the Packers because our Offense was -3 in turnovers, (and yes, that is the only reason we lost) Hurt a lot.

this game, with 1/3 of our starting roster not in the game...eh...I can handle it.

Yeah, this game was nowhere near as painful as, say, the 2004 AFC Championship game against NE. For me, that one was the worst. 15-1, everyone telling me, "They're going to win it all this year!" I had waited and waited. And waited some more. I really thought that year was it. And when it wasn't...ugh. Saw Hines Ward crying on TV, didn't think Jerome Bettis was coming back...yeah. That was definitely the worst for me.

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
2004 was very painful,but what makes this defeat less bad,is that the Steelers had a redemption the year after.

steelreserve
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I think now that this group of players have actually won a championship, it takes the edge off a tough loss like that. There's no more feeling that they've come so maddeningly close but still never won anything for your entire adult life, could this FINALLY be the year, etc. We've already proved what we need to prove and have a decently bright future too, so the agonizing pressure is less for a while.

Losing the super bowl still sucks butt no matter how you look at it, though.

steelpinstripe87
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I think now that this group of players have actually won a championship, it takes the edge off a tough loss like that. There's no more feeling that they've come so maddeningly close but still never won anything for your entire adult life, could this FINALLY be the year, etc. We've already proved what we need to prove and have a decently bright future too, so the agonizing pressure is less for a while.

Losing the super bowl still sucks butt no matter how you look at it, though.

Yes, that is how I felt after the 2004 AFC Championship game. They did win Super Bowl XL, but I didn't know that would happen at the time. Losing Super Bowl XLV hurt, but not nearly as much as losing Super Bowl XXX had - for the following reasons:

1) Super Bowl XXX - I was 11 years old. All the kids at school were Cowboys fans. And they were MERCILESS. How'd we lose a Super Bowl to that clown Barry Switzer, anyway?? :(
2) Super Bowl XLV - I had seen the Steelers win two SBs by this point, so it didn't hurt as much. Plus it was the Packers. There are teams I would hate to lose to more than the Packers. Also, I wasn't alive for the first four, so when Super Bowl XXX happened, I had yet to see a victory

Moose
01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Every LOSS hurts like hell, during the season naturally I only have to hurt for 7 days ( until next game), but when it's the play-offs and we lose, that's really a killer to me. Especially when you look at the other teams and think that we could beat this team, or that team. But with this loss I look at our teams health. Just about everyone of our starters are gimped in some way. I look at Ben and I know that there is NO WAY in hell he could take us to the SB with that ankle. So, this loss is alittle better for me with the thought that we probably wouldn't have made it to Indianapolis anyway. But, who knows ?!

Butch
01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Wow can't believe nobody has mentioned '76. Losing a championship game without either or our star RB's and losing so badly after being so dominant. Maybe everyone is to young to remember that.

This lose was bad but we were extremely banged up going into the game, I was more surprised that we came back as strongly as we did.

tube517
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Wow can't believe nobody has mentioned '76. Losing a championship game without either or our star RB's and losing so badly after being so dominant. Maybe everyone is to young to remember that.

This lose was bad but we were extremely banged up going into the game, I was more surprised that we came back as strongly as we did.

I was only 8 but it cemented my hatred for the Raiders. But, with the RBs out, it wasn't meant to be. I didn't fully understand that until later.

Godfather
01-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I"m ok with how this season went. I feel a lot worse about the BCSCG because the hated gumps won.

Devilsdancefloor
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
94 & 2001 where hard, but what was harder was super bowl XXX my wife is a cowboys fan, but in a way i got even we have 4 kids and all twirl the terrible towel on sundays and give her grief about Americas team

steelreserve
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I"m ok with how this season went. I feel a lot worse about the BCSCG because the hated gumps won.

Don't feel bad about that; it was only the fake championship anyway.

XxKnightxX
01-12-2012, 04:24 AM
You really cant get mad over the Super Bowl wins, yeah they hurt like hell, but at least weve won ummm SIX of them. And were not like the Buffalo Bills, 4 straight shots at it and all failed horribly. That , my friend will haunt those players for a long time.