T Max Starks
OL Trai Essex
T Jamon Meredith
NT Chris Hoke
CB William Gay
CB Anthony Madison
P Dan Sepulveda
P Jeremy Kapinos

An unrestricted free agent is a player who has completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contract has expired. He's free to negotiate with any team.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Mike Wallace
TE/FB David Johnson
C/G Doug Legursky
G Ramon Foster
CB Keenan Lewis
S Ryan Mundy

A restricted free agent has three seasons of service and receives a "qualifying" offer from his current team. He can negotiate with any other team. But if the restricted free agent accepts an offer from a new team, his old team has a "right of first refusal" where it can match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it receives one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
RB Isaac Redman
NT Steve McLendon

An exclusive rights free agent is a player who is not under contract but only has two years of service. If his current team makes him an offer at the three-year minimum NFL salary, he must take it or leave the NFL.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-free-agents-for/article_8b214036-3b87-11e1-b0a7-0019bb30f31a.html

mortgageman
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Not many names on this list that have a good chance at returning. Wallace and Redman seem like the only two sure things. I'm sure Mundy and Lewis will stay as well.

tube517
01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Not many names on this list that have a good chance at returning. Wallace and Redman seem like the only two sure things. I'm sure Mundy and Lewis will stay as well.

and Kapinos.

mortgageman
01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
How could i forget the punter. He's actually pretty good, so yes, i see him back.

suitanim
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Steelers are good at resigning guys through restructured deals. I'm not overly worried about this. I'd like to see them comb through FA for OL and NT, though. They don't restock via free agency often, but they are good at finding value there, too...I'm thinking Farrior and Travis Kirschke as two right off the top of my head.

GodfatherofSoul
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Just the guys I have a strong opinion on:

QB Byron Leftwich KEEP, Probably have to keep him as a known quantity backup even with brittleness; maybe we can find a more reliable backup on the market
QB Charlie Batch GONE, I like Charlie, but can't keep 2 vet QBs and Charlie's getting older
QB Dennis Dixon GONE, experiment's a failure
RB Mewelde Moore GONE, major drop-off this year and missed a lot of crucial 3rd down passes
WR Jerricho Cotchery GONE, showed he's got the talent to sign somewhere else for more than we'll pay
T Max Starks KEEP, Gotta resign until we find someone better
OL Trai Essex KEEP Good backup
NT Chris Hoke KEEP (what's his health status for next year?), the stats don't lie about who's been better at NT lately
CB William Gay KEEP, maybe we'll find a better CB in the future
P Dan Sepulveda GONE, way too injury prone; shoulda been gone this season
WR Mike Wallace GONE probably overhyped because of speed and will get a drunken offer from someone else we won't match
C/G Doug Legursky KEEP, too versatile to lose with the brittleness of our O-line
RB Isaac Redman KEEP, may be the RB of the future
NT Steve McLendon KEEP, backup for Hoke (assuming Hampton is gone)

The Duke
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
NT Chris Hoke KEEP (what's his health status for next year?), the stats don't lie about who's been better at NT lately

he's likely retiring (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/report-chris-hoke-expected-to-retire/) and Im glad he is. No need to risk further damage to his neck. Same for Aaron

we need a NT mclendon can be a backup to

Austin87
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
RB Mewelde Moore GONE, major drop-off this year and missed a lot of crucial 3rd down passes

Moore had a pretty good season IMO.

Bluecoat96
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
WR Mike Wallace GONE probably overhyped because of speed and will get a drunken offer from someone else we won't match

He's not going anywhere. I would ASSume we'll tender him at the highest offer possible. and work out a deal soon after.

XxKnightxX
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
He's not going anywhere. I would ASSume we'll tender him at the highest offer possible. and work out a deal soon after.

as Much as I love Wallace, a first and third rounder if someone matched it would be a good deal considering how well we do in the first round and it would be good to have 2 first round picks. Unfortunately the Raiders arent available for that anymore lol.

fansince'76
01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
as Much as I love Wallace, a first and third rounder if someone matched it would be a good deal considering how well we do in the first round and it would be good to have 2 first round picks. Unfortunately the Raiders arent available for that anymore lol.

Agreed. I'd take a 1st and 3rd for him in a heartbeat. We could really shore up our OL with an extra 1st and 3rd.

The WH
01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
They need a new QB for Ben to groom for when the lack of dedication towards the OL gets him killed.

polamalubeast
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM

That has never happened something like this, even if he already had Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall as RFA.

If Wallace is not a steelers in 2012, I would be shocked

Wallace is not a cancer in the locker room as Santonio!

I hope that Wallace will be a long term contract.

BigNastyDefense
01-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Wallace will be kept. He's going to get the highest possible tender, so a team would be giving up their first and third round picks to sign him away. We'll end up working out a long-term deal to keep him in The Burgh for a good while. I don't think he's the type of guy that's going to go to the highest bidder to play on a shit team.

The WH
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
this team has more issues than can be addressed in one offseason. If breaking the Wallace egg gets the Steelers to make a delicious omelet, so be it.

NJarhead
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Looks like we're in decent shape. What's our cap number look like?

ALLD
01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Madison is undervalued on STs.

steelreserve
01-11-2012, 03:34 PM
I really think we'll be OK if we lose everyone on the UFA list except Kapinos. I'd want Hoke and Starks back too, but it looks like injuries may have made that decision for us.

On the RFA list, I hope we keep everyone but Johnson. Yes, it's been said, but if we're going to use formations with a fullback, we might as well have a REAL fullback, not this H-back shit where the guy's 60% effective as a FB and 60% effective as a tight end. Since you can only play one at a time, that does not equal 120%.

Bluecoat96
01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Madison is undervalued on STs.

With Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, he is not needed anymore. He was just brought it since we had squat for CB's for the Denver game.

SteelGhost
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd keep Wallace, specially now that Hines is at the end of the road as a Steeler.

The Duke
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Agreed. I'd take a 1st and 3rd for him in a heartbeat. We could really shore up our OL with an extra 1st and 3rd.

man that would be a dream! Give me two premier linemen over a receiver any day

Have yet to see Wallace actually take over a game. He's good, but not irreplaceable

steelreserve
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I have the feeling that if Wallace was gone, Brown wouldn't have anywhere near 1,000 yards, and a lot of other aspects of the offense would suffer as well. Regardless of how he tailed off at the end of the year, he occupies two defenders. And often takes them way the hell out of the play. That's not an easy thing to replace.

steelerdude15
01-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Why on Earth do people think Mikeys going anywhere?

mortgageman
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I dont think he's going anywhere either. A first and a 3rd would be a lot for a team to give up. Wallace is a very good WR, but he does not fit the mold of a true #1. Guys like Calvin, Roddy, Fitz, and AJ can get you a first down when you absolutely need one. Wallace is more of a luxury player, but the best at that out there.

86WARD
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Brown won't be the player he is now without Wallace.

steelreserve
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I dont think he's going anywhere either. A first and a 3rd would be a lot for a team to give up. Wallace is a very good WR, but he does not fit the mold of a true #1. Guys like Calvin, Roddy, Fitz, and AJ can get you a first down when you absolutely need one. Wallace is more of a luxury player, but the best at that out there.

If a team is that hard up for a receiver, they'd just use their own first-round pick on one if they were smart. Receivers whoget traded to a new team turn out to be busts just as often for whatever reason. So might as well save yourself the third-round pick and a lot of money when you roll those dice.

Someone would be stupid enough to do it, though. *coughsnydercough* But at least the teams dumb enough to do that are all perennial doormats, so the picks we got would be good ones.

ShutDown24
01-13-2012, 04:11 AM
UFA

QB Byron Leftwich - Retain

QB Charlie Batch - Gone

QB Dennis Dixon - Gone

RB Mewelde Moore - Gone

WR Jerricho Cotchery - Retain

T Max Starks - Gone

OL Trai Essex - Retain

T Jamon Meredith - Gone

NT Chris Hoke - Gone

CB William Gay - Retain

CB Anthony Madison - Retain

P Dan Sepulveda - Retain

P Jeremy Kapinos - Gone

RFA

WR Mike Wallace - Retain

TE/FB David Johnson - Retain

C/G Doug Legursky - Retain

G Ramon Foster - Retain

CB Keenan Lewis - Retain

S Ryan Mundy - Retain

Count Steeler
01-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Time for Sepulveda to move on (sorry Marianne). Can't finish a season.

BlacknGoldBabe
01-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Why on Earth do people think Mikeys going anywhere?

Bottom line is $$$$. If someone with deep pockets can come up with enough cash, Mike might migrate. I'd hate to see him go.

Chidi29
01-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Bottom line is $$$$. If someone with deep pockets can come up with enough cash, Mike might migrate. I'd hate to see him go.

He'll be restricted at the highest tender and any team thinking about an offer sheet would put up some serious money. Not happening, Wallace will stay.

How often have RFAs at that level ended up leaving in the past five years? My guess is zero.

SteelGhost
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Time for Sepulveda to move on (sorry Marianne). Can't finish a season.

Yep, I'd prefer to keep Kapinos.

BigNastyDefense
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
QB Byron Leftwich - Let him go, he's been on IR the past two seasons, he isn't worth the money
QB Charlie Batch - Vet minimum to be the third string? I think that would be fine
QB Dennis Dixon - Let him walk
RB Mewelde Moore - He can go
WR Jerricho Cotchery - Probably going to be too much money to keep
T Max Starks - Yes, keep. Is he perfect? No. But as we saw this season, there are worse options.
OL Trai Essex - He will come cheap and is a valuable backup since he can play guard & tackle
T Jamon Meredith - Who?
NT Chris Hoke - Probably going to retire due to neck injury
CB William Gay - Might have played himself into a bigger offer from another team, but I would keep if we could get him cheap enough
CB Anthony Madison - No real opinion
P Dan Sepulveda - Too injury prone
P Jeremy Kapinos - Resign, he's a good punter

An unrestricted free agent is a player who has completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contract has expired. He's free to negotiate with any team.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Mike Wallace - Highest possible tender, if he leaves we get a 1st & 3rd but I think he stays
TE/FB David Johnson - He could stay or go
C/G Doug Legursky - Resign, a very good and valuable backup
G Ramon Foster - Resign, at least for depth
CB Keenan Lewis - He's got potential, I would resign
S Ryan Mundy - Stay or go, he's never going to be a starter

A restricted free agent has three seasons of service and receives a "qualifying" offer from his current team. He can negotiate with any other team. But if the restricted free agent accepts an offer from a new team, his old team has a "right of first refusal" where it can match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it receives one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.

RB Isaac Redman - Will damn sure be resigned, valuable backup and has definite starting potential
NT Steve McLendon - Definitely keep, might be Hampton's replacement and we need a backup to Big Snack

An exclusive rights free agent is a player who is not under contract but only has two years of service. If his current team makes him an offer at the three-year minimum NFL salary, he must take it or leave the NFL.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what happens. We shall see...maybe some big changes is what we need.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
They need a new QB for Ben to groom for when the lack of dedication towards the OL gets him killed. I agree. We need a good 2nd for him.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Not many names on this list that have a good chance at returning. Wallace and Redman seem like the only two sure things. I'm sure Mundy and Lewis will stay as well.I want Big Red to have a great year next season. I really like him and think that he has a lot of great plays in him.

NJarhead
01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Folks seem to be talking about the Wallace scenarios. I'm torn, but starting Brown, Sanders and Cotchery doesn't sound so bad to me. Especially if we get some quality picks for Wallace. Not sure how long we'd be able to keep him under contract anyway. I'm surprising myself, but I'm indifferent.

ShutDown24
01-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Folks seem to be talking about the Wallace scenarios. I'm torn, but starting Brown, Sanders and Cotchery doesn't sound so bad to me. Especially if we get some quality picks for Wallace. Not sure how long we'd be able to keep him under contract anyway. I'm surprising myself, but I'm indifferent.

I've come to kind of the same conclusion. On the one hand, I feel like what Wallaca brings to the table is almost irreplaceable. But on the other, I believe we would receive a 1st & 3rd round picks if someone signed Wallace off of our highest tender. With teams like Daniel Snyder's Redskins out there, and 17 being the biggest deep threat in the league, I wouldn't be shocked if someone went after him. I feel like either way we're in good shape.

Steeldude
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Charlie Batch
QB Dennis Dixon
RB Mewelde Moore
WR Jerricho Cotchery - retain
T Max Starks - retain
OL Trai Essex - retain
T Jamon Meredith
NT Chris Hoke - retain(but he is probably retiring)
CB William Gay - retain
CB Anthony Madison
P Dan Sepulveda
P Jeremy Kapinos

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Mike Wallace - retain
TE/FB David Johnson
C/G Doug Legursky - retain
G Ramon Foster - retain
CB Keenan Lewis - retain
S Ryan Mundy - retain

RB Isaac Redman - retain (must retain)
NT Steve McLendon - retain

fansince'76
01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Charlie Batch
QB Dennis Dixon
RB Mewelde Moore
WR Jerricho Cotchery - retain
T Max Starks - retain
OL Trai Essex - retain
T Jamon Meredith
NT Chris Hoke - retain(but he is probably retiring)
CB William Gay - retain
CB Anthony Madison
P Dan Sepulveda
P Jeremy Kapinos

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Mike Wallace - retain
TE/FB David Johnson
C/G Doug Legursky - retain
G Ramon Foster - retain
CB Keenan Lewis - retain
S Ryan Mundy - retain

RB Isaac Redman - retain (must retain)
NT Steve McLendon - retain

Need to keep Kapinos too, IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Folks seem to be talking about the Wallace scenarios. I'm torn, but starting Brown, Sanders and Cotchery doesn't sound so bad to me.

If Wallace is gone, we're left with...

Sanders, who can't stay healthy and has only shown marginal flashes of solid play the last two years.
Cotchery, who is far too talented to be on a team as a #4 and there's way too many teams in the league that need a vet WR like him. It would take too much to keep him.
Hines Ward, who obviously is on the verge of walking into the sunset.

So what would your gameplan be to keep up with the rest of this "passing league?" Receivers often take time to develop (albeit with the rules today it might be easier), so using those picks from Wallace probably wouldnt have immediate effect and we'd have a year or two of a mediocre passing game which you just cant have in the NFL anymore.

Count Steeler
01-14-2012, 10:19 PM
So what would your gameplan be to keep up with the rest of this "passing league?" Receivers often take time to develop (albeit with the rules today it might be easier), so using those picks from Wallace probably wouldnt have immediate effect and we'd have a year or two of a mediocre passing game which you just cant have in the NFL anymore.

All depends on the picks. A first and a third would have immediate impact in the right positions. Guards, DT, even another WR.

NJarhead
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
If Wallace is gone, we're left with...

Sanders, who can't stay healthy and has only shown marginal flashes of solid play the last two years.
Cotchery, who is far too talented to be on a team as a #4 and there's way too many teams in the league that need a vet WR like him. It would take too much to keep him.
Hines Ward, who obviously is on the verge of walking into the sunset.

You forgot Brown. And no one else wanted Cotchery. He wouldn't cost us much. So, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders and Ward. The value for what we could get for Wallace is there. How long do you think we could keep Wallace anyway? And would you keep him over Brown?

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2012, 11:14 PM
You forgot Brown. And no one else wanted Cotchery. He wouldn't cost us much. So, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders and Ward. The value for what we could get for Wallace is there. How long do you think we could keep Wallace anyway? And would you keep him over Brown?

I left Brown because it's a given that he will produce for us. He's a young gun, the best hands/body control of anybody on the team, versatile, and a notoriously hard worker. Everyone else behind Wallace and Brown have a plethora of question marks surrounding them, question marks that apparently no one else is aware of?

NJarhead
01-15-2012, 04:59 AM
I left Brown because it's a given that he will produce for us. He's a young gun, the best hands/body control of anybody on the team, versatile, and a notoriously hard worker. Everyone else behind Wallace and Brown have a plethora of question marks surrounding them, question marks that apparently no one else is aware of?

Sanders beat out Ward for depth. I'm aware of that. He also started in the SB last year.

No one else wanted Cotchery. I'm aware of that. By all accounts, he likes it here and we like him.

Your words were, "If Wallace is gone, we're left with...Sanders, Cotchery and Ward." That doesn't sound like you were accounting for Brown at all to me. Given?

So again, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders and Ward. I wouldn't shake a stick at that line up. Plus what ever upgrades we get from the additional 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

Ward is old, but he's still Hines Ward.

You never answered my question: How much longer do you think we can afford to keep Wallace? Personally, I don't think we keep him AND Brown. Wallace is a bad ass, but his numbers fell WAY off towards the end of the year.

Finally, would you mind listing the alleged "plethora of questions" that no one else is aware of but you?

Oh, and for the record, this is not "my plan." As I stated in my original post, I've heard it being discussed. I was also asked about it. I'm just beginning to embrace it.

The WH
01-15-2012, 05:45 AM
If Hines Ward is going to be in a game for 1 play why suit him up? the guy needs to play one more season and have one of those Last Hurrah's where he gets 2 or 3 touchdowns.

ShutDown24
01-15-2012, 07:29 AM
When it comes down to it I've decided I would rather keep Wallace than receiving two high picks for losing him. What he does as far as rolling coverage towards his side of the field is rather irreplaceable. Even with his numbers falling off at the end of the season, he is still the premiere deep threat in the league right now. However, if a team does steal him away - I won't be heartbroken. We could definitely improve the team with more high draft picks.

NJarhead
01-15-2012, 07:50 AM
When it comes down to it I've decided I would rather keep Wallace than receiving two high picks for losing him. What he does as far as rolling coverage towards his side of the field is rather irreplaceable. Even with his numbers falling off at the end of the season, he is still the premiere deep threat in the league right now. However, if a team does steal him away - I won't be heartbroken. We could definitely improve the team with more high draft picks.

Can't argue...it's a win-win. Ben does need to stop waiting for HIM to get open though while missing out on other open guys, but I guess that's a topic for another discussion.

ShutDown24
01-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Can't argue...it's a win-win. Ben does need to stop waiting for HIM to get open though while missing out on other open guys, but I guess that's a topic for another discussion.

Maybe, but now I'm going to throw my two cents in on the subject anyway lol. Ben is a great Quarterback. But he relies on his physical skills way too much. He misses wide open receivers underneath the defensive coverage far too often. But, I don't think he has poor vision. In fact, I think he sees the open receiver many times and just refuses to give up on the deep ball. When the play breaks down I think is when he often comes back to that open guy. A lot of times once he starts running out of the pocket you see him go right to a spot with the ball without hardly even looking. I believe this is the reason why he is able to do that so frequently. However, what I feel that Ben needs to understand is if he would just nail the open guy immediately - over the course of a game, that would open up the deep pass. And he wouldn't get plastered every time he completes a pass. Too often I think Ben watches one of his passes fly into the end zone from the ground thinking "Yes touchdown!... Ouch, that hurts."

NJarhead
01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Maybe, but now I'm going to throw my two cents in on the subject anyway lol. Ben is a great Quarterback. But he relies on his physical skills way too much. He misses wide open receivers underneath the defensive coverage far too often. But, I don't think he has poor vision. In fact, I think he sees the open receiver many times and just refuses to give up on the deep ball. When the play breaks down I think is when he often comes back to that open guy. A lot of times once he starts running out of the pocket you see him go right to a spot with the ball without hardly even looking. I believe this is the reason why he is able to do that so frequently. However, what I feel what Ben needs to understand is if he would just nail the open guy immediately - over the course of a game, that would open up the deep pass. And he wouldn't get plastered every time he completes a pass. Too often I think Ben watches one of his passes fly into the end zone from the ground thinking "Yes touchdown!... Ouch, that hurts."

Your "two cents" sound an awful lot like fact to me. Lol