PDA

View Full Version : Elway: Harrison 'had no other option' but to tackle Decker low

XxKnightxX
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Whether he goes high or low, James Harrison has trouble escaping his critics, but he's found an unlikely defender in Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e02fd/article/elway-harrison-had-no-other-option-but-to-tackle-decker-low-?module=HP11_headline_stack

I find this kinda funny, because when Harrison knocks out people there wasnt much of a big issue, but when he tackled Decker low all of my friends started running their fucking mouths saying Harrison is a "cheap-shot artist', especially coming from Jets fans, who had their own Player Bart Scott blow out Davon Bess Knees.

polamalubeast
01-10-2012, 01:02 PM
"The target is now lower," Elway told KSMT-FM on Monday, via USA Today. "Harrison yesterday, because of the fact that he's been fined so often, really had no other option. ... I don't think he intended to hurt Eric. But obviously because of the situations he's been in, he had to go low and stay away from the head. And it ended up costing an MCL sprain for Eric."

I think Elway's comment is correct

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Wonder how many games next season Harrison's going to get suspended for this? :coffee:

tube517
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
For those "critics", what the fuck ever. Legal hit. Goodhell wants knees blown out in his flag football world.

st33lersguy
01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
It is Goofdell's fault. He suspended Harrison for hitting someone high, so now he hit the guy low to avoid suspension. Goofdell spent so much time focusing on head hits, he completely ignored hits below the legs

BigPoppaG
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Harrison is a cheap shot artist. Hitting players during a game and trying to stop them from scoring. WHAT THE HELL IS HIS PROBLEM!

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/o1/2f/na/edfacepalm.jpg

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Blubbering manginas like these are a very large part of why this game is being ruined right before our very eyes, folks, and why I won't be watching so much as another f*cking second of football this season.

Roaming the defensive backfield in coverage against Tim Tebow and the Broncos, Harrison had a bead on Decker after he made the catch, and dove straight for his knee. There was no attempt whatsoever to wrap him up, or make anything resembling a textbook tackle. Harrison just went straight for his knee.

Especially in the replays, it's clear that Harrison had plenty of time to aim for the midsection, wrap Decker up and make a strong tackle. It could still have been a devastating hit without risking a serious knee injury. Injuries like these can end a career.

This wasn't a split second play. Harrison was tracking Decker the whole time.

And again... zero attempt to wrap him up. It's one thing to go low, but it's an entirely different story when you're lining up and spearing dudes in the knee. Sure, it's not a head shot, but there's no reason to go from one extreme to the other.

per the norm he went to injury a player, he says that what he does and he continues to do it. I said it a hundred times, opposing players need to cut block him every time until he learns, but nobody will so it'll continue, and I think it will continue in another uniform next year. He clearly doesn't get it. He can barely read so the rules have to be explained to him. However, just to offer a different side, when he hits 'em high he gets fined, when he hits 'em low its dirty, I am not sure what he's supposed to do, but as u said, he made 0 attempt to wrap him up

WAAAHHH! Harrison's DUUUURTY! WAAAHHH! (http://www.faniq.com/blog/James-Harrison-hit-knocks-Eric-Decker-out-of-the-BroncosSteelers-game-Blog-43634)

People need to adjust their goddamn tampons and start watching golf. :coffee:

st33lersguy
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
What the hell is Harrison supposed to do, let the receiver catch the damn pass? I am sure that is what Goodell and his goons wants him to do so pass yards can continue to skyrocket and 3 quarterbacks throw for 5,000 every year, but as a competitive player assigned in coverage to prevent a completion, that is not what he is supposed to do.

O'Malley
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Damned if you do damned if you don't... I stated earlier that Harrison would now be breaking ribs and snapping legs, this is the target area, Goodell wants "safer hits" here he goes.. It is safer to hit up top, but Harrison is not allowed to do so so he hits low and now everybody has a problem with that? Ridiculous. Great hit and great play..

steelerdude15
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Its very well known that tacklers go low for hits. That's something we've been taught ever since we were kids. Its an effective way of bringing down a runner and injuries are just part of it. It wasn't a dirty, but a fundamental hit.

tube517
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Blubbering manginas

:rofl2:

BigNastyDefense
01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Fuck the haters, the media has labeled Harrison a dirty player, so therefore every hit is dirty.

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Fuck the haters, the media has labeled Harrison a dirty player, so therefore every hit is dirty.

Normally, I would agree, but it's a problem for us when the spineless jellyfish of a commissioner knee-jerks due to their overreaction.

Godfather
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
So Goofdell, how are these "safe" hits working for you??

Craic
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Normally, I would agree, but it's a problem for us when the spineless jellyfish of a commissioner knee-jerks due to their overreaction.

Except that he's not the one who makes the decisions. It's Former NFL players that are making them. With that said however, also notice that the officials got the call right - both times.

The roughing the passer was a good call. It's been years since the rule was established, that you cannot hit the QB when he is all the way through his throwing motion. The Defensive player has to pull up at that point, because there's been plenty of time for him to see and react.

Not calling anything on the hit on Decker was a good call as well.
____

Honestly, this is one of those things that just "happens" in the NFL. Much like when Kimo hit Palmer in the playoffs.

X-Terminator
01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Here's the thing that kills me - these rules and selective enforcement of said rules are not Goodell's fault. He's the effing commissioner, for crying out loud. If he's not involved in setting the tone for this garbage on a field, then what the hell does he do? Sit in his office choking his cocktail weenie all day? I'm getting a little tired of hearing that he has nothing to do with any of this. It's BS.

So basically now, according to those dimwits quoted above, Harrison isn't allowed to hit anyone, period. He may as well retire then, because he will never get a fair shake no matter what he does.

NCSteeler
01-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Except that he's not the one who makes the decisions. It's Former NFL players that are making them. With that said however, also notice that the officials got the call right - both times.

The roughing the passer was a good call. It's been years since the rule was established, that you cannot hit the QB when he is all the way through his throwing motion. The Defensive player has to pull up at that point, because there's been plenty of time for him to see and react.

Not calling anything on the hit on Decker was a good call as well.
____

Honestly, this is one of those things that just "happens" in the NFL. Much like when Kimo hit Palmer in the playoffs.

Your completely full of shite if you really believe that. He barely touched him, period. And Ben and plenty of other QBs take twice as much shoving after they are "through the throwing motion" Hell just a few plays before and a few after int that game Ben was hit pushed and fell on after he threw the ball.

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I wonder if it would help next year if Harrison just changed his name to something like "Killa of Babbies" and changed his Jersey Number to 666

Just saying, maybe he'd get less grief and less flags and fines.

Devilsdancefloor
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Harrison is never gonna get less grief until he retires. No matter what he does all eyes are gonna be on him (which makes me scratch my head when a LT rapes him erm i mean holds him and it rarely gets called).

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
What would it be like in a world where James Harrison changed his name to Killa of Babies...

"Hey Jim Nantz, who is this new linebacker out there wearing # 666 for the Steelers?"

"Well Phil, that's Killa of Babies, the Steelers brought him in to replace James Harrison."

"Oh right Jim, that James Harrison was the worst guy in the history of the NFL, always hitting people in the face and knocking them out and playing just too hard. What a dirty guy. I'm kind of liking this new guy Killa of Babies, he seems to be playing solid football."

"Yes he is Phil, he's playing great. And the fact that the Refs are throwing flags on the Oline for the illegal Neck Hold of Killa of Babies just shows how much of an impact this physical player and his style is having in today's game. He is a very effective player at outside linebacker, potential Defensive MVP if you ask me!"

"Yes Jim, I agree, the Steelers could use more players like Killa of Babies and less of those cheap shot guys like James Harrison. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Woodley don't set a Sack record by the end of the 2012 Season!"

"Not only that Phil, but the photo of the hit Killa of Babies just put on Andy Dalton causing him to be carted off the field was one of the cleanest most perfect football hits I've ever seen and I wouldnt' be surprised if the NFL Wasn't selling that photo at a marked up price before the game is over on its official website!"

cakmakli
01-12-2012, 08:44 AM
^^^Now's that's funny^^^

suitanim
01-12-2012, 08:49 AM
The best thing about #666, Killuh of Babies is that he could run for President for the GOP, too...two-for-one!