PDA

View Full Version : Didnt Count on Pouncey Moving on so Quickly

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Cook: Didn't count on Pouncey moving on so quickly
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
By Ron Cook (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I long have maintained a lot of fans take losses harder than the players. The fans replay the game for months and never really get over it. The players realize it's a business, set it aside quickly and get on with their lives. The Steelers lost an AFC wild-card game Sunday to the Denver Broncos, 29-23, in overtime. It was a crushing defeat by any measure. But, by the weekend, many of the players will be vacationing at exotic locales. Others will drive home to their mansions in their luxury cars. And the fans? They still will be wondering what would have happened if wide receiver Mike Wallace hadn't dropped that 52-yard pass early in the second quarter or if center Doug Legursky hadn't snapped the ball over quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's head late in the first half or if cornerback Ike Taylor had just tackled wide receiver Demaryius Thomas in overtime.

I offer Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey as further proof of my theory.

"I'm rich play for the steelers and have a awesome life!" he tweeted soon after the game. "u wish u had my life!!"

A little context is in order:
Apparently, Pouncey, who did not play against the Broncos because of a high ankle sprain, forcing Legursky to take over the position, tweeted after the loss that his followers should purchase a rapper's music. Some fans were put off by his timing. Moments earlier, the season had ended painfully for his team -- their team -- in the Rocky Mountains. They also weren't happy that Pouncey missed another big game. The guy might be an All-Pro, but can you count on him? He sat out Super Bowl XLV in February with a similar high ankle sprain. The Steelers lost to the Green Bay Packers, 31-25.

At least one Pouncey follower -- someone named Rick -- took such offense that he responded and turned Pouncey into a Twitter fool, emphasis on the word fool.

"what do u do for a living besides bothering me right now ... " Pouncey tweeted.

"I will idiot!! you enjoy your lame life!!

"your a loser Rick! get a life I hate people like u! dont talk about my life dumb [expletive].

"unfollow me then loser!!

"I'm done talking to losers!"

I had to double-check that the malicious, offensive, vulgar words were coming from Pouncey. For a second, I thought I had tapped into Santonio Holmes' Twitter feed by mistake. You remember Holmes when he played for the Steelers? Urging a fan to kill himself because the fan had the nerve to criticize him for getting into yet another legal dust-up? Right before the Steelers traded him to the New York Jets, who now can't wait to get rid of him because he's also a cancer in their locker room?
Speaking of real losers.

By Monday morning, someone -- perhaps his agent or a Steelers official -- must have contacted Pouncey to tell him he came off like a jerk and how no player can win by taking on the fans. He tweeted the standard, if -- I'm guessing right -- insincere apology.

"I like to take the time to apologize for my action. it's just hard to end like that an I couldn't help my team fight.

"next year goal come back healthily an stronger. so I promise next year the year."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12010/1202472-87-0.stm#ixzz1j4lXIcdW

Dino 6 Rings
01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
geesh...dick much?

zulater
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
A bit of an overreaction by Cook. Pouncey wasn't wise to do what he did, but he's 23. I don't think this makes him un-redeemable. I'm sure someone in the orginization will have a talk with him, and it will be over and done with.

GBMelBlount
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
A bit of an overreaction by Cook. Pouncey wasn't wise to do what he did, but he's 23. I don't think this makes him un-redeemable. I'm sure someone in the orginization will have a talk with him, and it will be over and done with.

Exactly, he is young and a lot of this is new for him. Everyone makes mistakes and hopefully he has learned his lesson.

If it were to become a pattern, then yes, I would be concerned....

tube517
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Simple plan: Don't respond to trolls on twitter or facebook. It ain't worth it.

X-Terminator
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
1. I'd like to see what this "Rick" character said to him to set him off. Pouncey may be an elite athlete, but he's also human.

2. Players should be banned from using Twitter at any point, period. Nothing good can cone from it.

suitanim
01-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Twitter is one of the worst things ever for celebrities and athletes. They really should just let their PR handle their tweeting if they can't themselves.

Look at Mendy. Now, I know Mendenhall is an idiot, and his views are fairly retarded on 9/11 and stuff, but there are a LOT of kids and people who lack the ability to think critically out there who eat that kind of garbage up. I don't really care what most of these people say, because I ONLY admire their ability to play a child's game (with some exceptions) and don't look to them for endorsements, political views, their life philosophy, etc, etc...but a lot of people do.

XxKnightxX
Same reaction Ramon Foster gave after the Houston game, people were bashing him and calling him a failure, and I remember Ramon saying "Im a failure? Im in the NFL and youre a failure at life!" . These guys get enough football pounding, if they reacted like fans after wins and losses youd think they were PMSing since July.

tube517
1. I'd like to see what this "Rick" character said to him to set him off. Pouncey may be an elite athlete, but he's also human.

2. Players should be banned from using Twitter at any point, period. Nothing good can cone from it.

http://blitzburghblog.com/2012-articles/january/maurkice-pouncey-is-not-very-team-oriented-and-probably-hates-you.html

steelreserve
01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
There's a saying that goes, ”Never argue with an idiot. People won't be able to tell the difference.”

In any case, that's pretty poor form by Pouncey. No matter what the guy said to set him off, there's no excuse for pulling the ”I'm in the NFL, I'm better than you” shit. It's one thing if he just called the guy a moron or an asshole, which is probably true ... but he crossed a pretty unmistakable line that says his status has gone to his head, and it just reeks, whether he's 23 or 45. I only hope his ego doesn't get the better of him like that very often.

7willBheaven
01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Oh gawd...I knew it was only time before the lovely stupid "media" made a big deal over this. *shakes head* I've seen all the tweets that were sent to him by these idiots there were more than that site tubes linked shows also. This isnt even worth talking about.

shutdown
01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Pouncey should take notes from Ike Taylor, who was getting slammed alot worse than Pouncy, and took the mature route on twitter...http://blitzburghblog.com/images/stories/Taylorapology.png

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Offseason is off to a roaring start...

X-Terminator
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
http://blitzburghblog.com/2012-articles/january/maurkice-pouncey-is-not-very-team-oriented-and-probably-hates-you.html

Wow. Well, this brings me to point #2 - ban all players from using Twitter. Far too many athletes, as well as other high-profile people, do not have a filter between their brains and their keyboards. Even if he was provoked by those fans, being in the position he's in he cannot react and respond that way. He's now turned a lot of people off with those comments, all because he hasn't learned how to ignore over-the-top criticism from fans.

BigPoppaG
01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Gotta remember Pouncey is still young. Maybe a Vet needs to sit down and say WTF!

Trolls can bring out the worst in the best people.

BlastFurnace
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM

I agree. He's an All Pro Center with no history of this behavior and is a good teammate. The Steelers will take care of this privately with Pouncey.

Not to mention, we need O'lineman.

BlastFurnace
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh gawd...I knew it was only time before the lovely stupid "media" made a big deal over this. *shakes head* I've seen all the tweets that were sent to him by these idiots there were more than that site tubes linked shows also. This isnt even worth talking about.

What if Ray Lewis had sent this out? You better believe that a segment of Steeler fans would be all over this calling Ray a murderer and other choice words.

Pouncey acted irresponsibly. He needs to handle his fame a little better.

Chidi29
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
If Mendenhall can say what he said and it be for the most part forgotten, this will blow over quickly.

But Pouncey is immature. He's young and in a position most his age aren't in. Another example is the fact that he kept playing after getting hurt against the Browns. A guy like Woodley takes himself out of a game so he can have a shot to play in the playoffs or at the time, the following game. Tomlin referred to it as a "mature" move in his press conference.

Maybe if Pouncey sits out as soon as the injury occurs, he would have played Sunday.

Steeldude
01-10-2012, 03:35 PM
phew...when i read the title i was thinking he announced he is retiring.

Moose
01-10-2012, 06:11 PM
It's proof that Sunday evening was a real bad day for all Steeler people, from the FO down to the fans. I think anything said or done that evening and the next day be overlooked and brushed away. Minds were bent and words spoken in anger and dispair. 24 hrs clears alot of feelings and thinking. And all of us with cell phones and computers can testify that there is NO WAY of telling through the letters TYPED how the person typing was saying them.....humor, anger, love, sarcastic, etc., etc.. Sometimes you just have to be adults or try to be adults and look for the better way out. I follow, and I always tell my wife and daughter to follow the rule my parents taught me.......use the 10 second rule, BEFORE you respond with any comment to someone, or before you make any statement about something, count to 10 and see if you would still make the same statement, or would you keep quiet and walk away.

SteelGhost
01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Wow. Well, this brings me to point #2 - ban all players from using Twitter. Far too many athletes, as well as other high-profile people, do not have a filter between their brains and their keyboards. Even if he was provoked by those fans, being in the position he's in he cannot react and respond that way. He's now turned a lot of people off with those comments, all because he hasn't learned how to ignore over-the-top criticism from fans.

^^THIS

Shoes
01-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Offseason is off to a roaring start...

Hope it helps that Ben is married now..:chuckle:

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Hope it helps that Ben is married now..:chuckle:

:buttkick: :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
In any case, that's pretty poor form by Pouncey. No matter what the guy said to set him off, there's no excuse for pulling the ”I'm in the NFL, I'm better than you” shit. It's one thing if he just called the guy a moron or an asshole, which is probably true ... but he crossed a pretty unmistakable line that says his status has gone to his head, and it just reeks, whether he's 23 or 45. I only hope his ego doesn't get the better of him like that very often.

I agree. I hate that shit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 10:22 PM
There's a saying that goes, ”Never argue with an idiot. People won't be able to tell the difference.”

I agree. Playing the "I'm in the NFL and I'm rich" card just reeks of spoiled, entitled kid.

The kid needs to keep things in perspective that maybe his teammates losing a playoff game is more important than pimping some rappers songs on Twitter. If he is in the NFL and rich, why does he need to be promoting a rapper(probably a financial endorsement).

steelerdude15
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
This seems to have been the only issue we've ever heard from him, so I'm not worried. I do agree however, these people shouldn't have a Twitter because they can't control what they say, I mean look at Mendy last year when Bin Laden was killed and trouble that caused.

katmandu
01-11-2012, 12:56 AM
A bit of an overreaction by Cook.

Pouncey wasn't wise to do what he did, but he's 23.

Key point. --> Pouncey is still a very YOUNG man !

Every man here (that was 23 at one time) did, acted and/or said the same DUMBASS shit at the old age of 23!

Give the kid a friggin break!

katmandu
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Simple plan: Don't respond to trolls on twitter or facebook. It ain't worth it.My Golden rules are....

NEVER argue with.....

1) A STUPID person
2) A Drunk/Drugged person
3) A Retarded person

You will NEVER Win! So don't even try!

:toofunny:

HometownGal
01-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Simple plan: Don't respond to trolls on twitter or facebook. It ain't worth it.

BINGO. :applaudit: