PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward is supposedly retiring(?)

steel9guy
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Hines is probably finished. If so this is a sad day for Steelers Nation.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/34284011

steel9guy
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry I forgot to add retiring to the thread.

PalmerSteel
01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
1st ballet hall of famer. wish we could have sent him out with a bang. he will be missed!

stillers4me
01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Speculation.

GodfatherofSoul
01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
1st ballet hall of famer. wish we could have sent him out with a bang. he will be missed!

"Ballet" is that a Freudian slip about Dancing w/ the Stars lol

BlastFurnace
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
My favorite modern Steeler.

He will be missed!

GodfatherofSoul
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Hines, that voice inside your head is pride f-ing with you.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c1xbtGQpwmY/TwsmVzSYT-I/AAAAAAAAAjw/le7VKiAjVHo/s313/Marsellus_Marceau_HinesWard.jpg

smokin3000gt
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Anytime after a tough loss, it's hard to imagine yourself geared up for the next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired, but I hope he waits a few months and chews on it, weighs his options before he retires immediately after a kick in the nutts.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM
why stay if they aren't going to run an offense that includes short passing routes...just saying...

yeah, I'm still mad about our offensive style...

zulater
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope he retires. Better to retire a year too early than a year too late.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM

I tend to agree its just hard to let go of someone like Hines that has been on our team so long and meant so much to us as fans.

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
He has been a bright spot on our team for a decade plus, but it is time for him to retire and the steelers to move on. From a football perspective, he will not be missed. From a leadership position, he will be.

smokin3000gt
01-09-2012, 12:13 PM

I tend to agree its just hard to let go of someone like Hines that has been on our team so long and meant so much to us as fans.

True.. true..

I love Hines and I think there are plays that work for him, but probably not enough for the cap space. Thinking a little more about it now, I'm sure he will retire a Steeler rather then hang around to see himself get cut. Man, is it me or did the end of his career sneak up on us?

katmandu
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I hope he retires. Better to retire a year too early than a year too late.x2.

Add Farrior, Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton to this list.

Love them all, but it's "TIME".

NJarhead
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
This is depressing.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM

For the fans watching the player, I agree.

For the player himself, I disagree. Better for the player to confidently tell himself that he was done and not wonder what he had left in the tank when he walked away.

ALLD
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
The human body responds the way it does as it ages. Nobody can escape it.

The last few games he dropped the first passes thrown into his hands. He is no longer a guaranteed catch and with no speed, there is no place for him unless somebody gets hurt. Not a way to go out. Jerry Rice hung on too long. Hines could get hurt even if the team brought him back, but at this point I doubt he would make the team. Cotchery has replaced him.

katmandu
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I tend to agree its just hard to let go of someone like Hines that has been on our team so long and meant so much to us as fans.As they say, the NFL is a Business.

Hines has served his purpose (and more) admirably. He's a Warrior through and through.

It's time to hang up the battle gear and don't go down as a dying martar. That would be MUCH sadder to watch than Hines retiring right now.

BigNastyDefense
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
It's time, sadly enough. He's been passed on the depth chard by Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanual Sanders, and even Jerricho Cotchery. I love Hines, but there is really nothing more for him to prove. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer, in my opinion.

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
The next place is Canton.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
He was the #5 WR on the depth chart yesterday. Congrats on a great career and I enjoyed watching him play for so long.

polamalubeast
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
It's a sad day for the Steelers. :cry02:

thank you Hines for your 14 beautiful years with the Steelers.

Godfather
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Tomlin probably thinks it's over too. Otherwise he wouldn't have made sure Hines got to 1000 against Cleveland.

7willBheaven
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll believe it when it comes from Hines himself...until then its nothing but speculation. If he changes his mind and retires (since before he said he wasnt going to unless they won a SB and that he want to honor his contract/etc) then I wish him well and it will suck that hes gone. Hopefully he'll enjoy life and still be associated with the Steelers somehow and maybe even join the staff.

SteelerEmpire
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
It's really not Ward being done for as it is the arrival of Wallace, Brown and Sanders. If not for those guys presence on the team he would still be a starter. He did coach and mentor those guys up to the level that they are, and then lost "his" position because of it. But I admire Hines for that as he knew he was on the way out and it was the ultimate act of class that he "passed the torch" to the young money crew... all the while knowing that he would lose his position because of it.

The Duke
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
One of a kind

that look on his face throughout the game yesterday was depressing. I know it's speculation, but he probably made his mind some time ago

steelreserve
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
The human body responds the way it does as it ages. Nobody can escape it.

The last few games he dropped the first passes thrown into his hands. He is no longer a guaranteed catch and with no speed, there is no place for him unless somebody gets hurt. Not a way to go out. Jerry Rice hung on too long. Hines could get hurt even if the team brought him back, but at this point I doubt he would make the team. Cotchery has replaced him.

I doubt Cotchery is back next year. He probably has better things to do than be the #4 receiver here. Someone will make him a better offer, mark my words. Which leaves the door open for Hines; the question is whether he wants that role either, and probably at reduced pay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I doubt Cotchery is back next year. He probably has better things to do than be the #4 receiver here. Someone will make him a better offer, mark my words. Which leaves the door open for Hines; the question is whether he wants that role either, and probably at reduced pay.

At best, Cotchery is going to be a #3 WR almost anywhere. I bet he stays here, as he will really be a #3 anyways since none of the other receivers can work the slot like he does.

SteelerEmpire
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
At best, Cotchery is going to be a #3 WR almost anywhere. I bet he stays here, as he will really be a #3 anyways since none of the other receivers can work the slot like he does.

Forgot to take into account that Sanders will be injured almost half the year, as usual. That'll give Cotchery/Hines some field time.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
If we keep all 5 guys, Wallace, Brown, Ward, Cotchery, Sanders we can ignore WR in the draft completely and focus on the Lines and Secondary...just saying.

stillers4me
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
James C Wexell@jimwexell13m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/jimwexell/status/156488628355346432)
The way the wind's blowing: ASmith retires 1st, Hoke later; Ward, Farrior don't.

Carolina Steelers
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry if already posted got this from Hines facebook

Hines Ward

I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward

stillers4me
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Hines! I still think there's a place on this team and in this locker room for Hines Ward. Yes, he knows the youngsters are playing lights out and his role is limited. But when the injury bug hits the WR corp, who else but Hines do we want on the field??

Ok, I'd want Larry Fitzgerald, but that ain't happening. :chuckle:

steelreserve
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM

You forget about teams like ... Jacksonville, or Washington ... or any number of teams where there's maybe one main guy and it's open competition after that. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that guys like him who play a long time with one team and then get suddenly cut and take whatever job they can get ... tend to look at it as an interim job that's an audition for the next one, not a long-term staying place. At that point in your career, you're looking for one last 3-year contract with some stability if you're the #2 or #3 guy. Not a one-year deal somewhere you know you'll be the #4 guy behind three young guys, and you're really liable to be cut any minute as soon as you're injured or they see some kid they like in the fifth round. No, it's not a good situation for a veteran who's likely on his last chance to get a halfway decent contract.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
You forget about teams like ... Jacksonville, or Washington ... or any number of teams where there's maybe one main guy and it's open competition after that. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that guys like him who play a long time with one team and then get suddenly cut and take whatever job they can get ... tend to look at it as an interim job that's an audition for the next one, not a long-term staying place. At that point in your career, you're looking for one last 3-year contract with some stability if you're the #2 or #3 guy. Not a one-year deal somewhere you know you'll be the #4 guy behind three young guys, and you're really liable to be cut any minute as soon as you're injured or they see some kid they like in the fifth round. No, it's not a good situation for a veteran who's likely on his last chance to get a halfway decent contract.

You may be right, but I think there are a lot of guys in the draft that will displace better talent and Cotchery will be nothing more than a #3 guy. Maybe St Louis needs a vet like him, but do you really want to go to the Rams and finish a career?

stillers4me
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Hines has already said he'll never wear another uniform. Said he's too old to learn something new. :lol:

Read it somewhere back when he signed the last contract.

Godfather
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Excellent news!!! Good to have him back.

Is there any way we can undo one of his receptions so he can get #1000 at home???

SteelerEmpire
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Hines is an "old school style" Steeler. Maybe some of these other guys on the team would bow out, but he's not gonna go out like that... like the team did last night. He already said it on more than one occasion, he's gonna "fight til the wheels fall off ". So if you analyse that phrase closely... it says A LOT.

katmandu
01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
More often than not, the one playing the Myrtar gets the short end of the stick. Very sad too watch a Class act Pro Bowler gor out like that. ie Jerry Rice!

We all know Hines (and most all other Steelers) are Warriors to the core.

I would rather see Hines take the high road and bow out when he's on top.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
You may be right, but I think there are a lot of guys in the draft that will displace better talent and Cotchery will be nothing more than a #3 guy.

no way can we keep Cotchery. He's way too good to be a #4, and he probably wants more touches

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Let's get him one more ring!

Austin87
01-10-2012, 04:27 AM
I want Hines back, but he has to take a pay cut otherwise we can't afford him.

HometownGal
01-10-2012, 04:59 AM
I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

:applaudit: :yay3: :applaudit:

Even though his role on the field may be diminished next season, he is still a key leader in that locker room and one helluva mentor to the young guys. :thumbsup:

Butch
01-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I'll believe it when it comes from Hines himself...until then its nothing but speculation. If he changes his mind and retires (since before he said he wasnt going to unless they won a SB and that he want to honor his contract/etc) then I wish him well and it will suck that hes gone. Hopefully he'll enjoy life and still be associated with the Steelers somehow and maybe even join the staff.

Very well stated!!!

Love ya' Hines!!!

Dino 6 Rings
01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I want him back and want him to be a more used part of the passing attack. With his skill set of getting open underneath more utilized... (for Chidi) LOL!

zulater
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM
This may make me unpopular, ( at least with Butch it will :chuckle:) but imo Hines needs to retire because he has almost no game left. He doesn't even block particularly well anymore. There was a 3rd down play early in the Broncos game where they threw a wr screen out in the right flat, (I think to Brown), where the guy Hines was supposed to block easily rolled off the block attempt, and tackled the receiver 2 yards short of the stick. If Hines makes his block, easy first down. Every one else involved in the play executed perfectly. Hines never would miss that block in past seasons!Never!

Anyway I see it all over the field with him. I know he's never been fast, but he's always been quick and could find ways to get open. Now, hardly ever. And when he does manage to get open he way more often than ever before drops the ball. And he rarely gets any yardage after the catch, as all our other wide receiver's generally do.

He was a great Steeler. I'll make a Hall of Fame argument for him that will sway nearly all his doubters when the time comes. But he's done. Ben wasn't purposely ignoring him as some have foolishly suggested. The coaches had no agenda to freeze him out. Age caught up with him, as it does with everyone eventually. As they say Father time is undefeated. If he tries to play next year it will only be worse. Particularly if he goes elsewhere. He'll be Willie May's stumbling around the Mets outfield at Shea stadium in 73. He'll be John Unitas limping around with a lightning bolt on his helmet etc...

The Steelers need the cap relief, and Hines needs to go out with his dignity fully intact. It's time for him to get on with his life's work. And whatever that may be, thank you for the great years, and good luck doing whatever it is you decide to do, and I'll bet you'll be great at it.

tube517
01-10-2012, 11:33 AM
This may make me unpopular, ( at least with Butch it will :chuckle:) but imo Hines needs to retire because he has almost no game left. He doesn't even block particularly well anymore. There was a 3rd down play early in the Broncos game where they threw a wr screen out in the right flat, (I think to Brown), where the guy Hines was supposed to block easily rolled off the block attempt, and tackled the receiver 2 yards short of the stick. If Hines makes his block, easy first down. Every one else involved in the play executed perfectly. Hines never would miss that block in past seasons!Never!

Anyway I see it all over the field with him. I know he's never been fast, but he's always been quick and could find ways to get open. Now, hardly ever. And when he does manage to get open he way more often than ever before drops the ball. And he rarely gets any yardage after the catch, as all our other wide receiver's generally do.

He was a great Steeler. I'll make a Hall of Fame argument for him that will sway nearly all his doubters when the time comes. But he's done. Ben wasn't purposely ignoring him as some have foolishly suggested. The coaches had no agenda to freeze him out. Age caught up with him, as it does with everyone eventually. As they say Father time is undefeated. If he tries to play next year it will only be worse. Particularly if he goes elsewhere. He'll be Willie May's stumbling around the Mets outfield at Shea stadium in 73. He'll be John Unitas limping around with a lightning bolt on his helmet etc...

The Steelers need the cap relief, and Hines needs to go out with his dignity fully intact. It's time for him to get on with his life's work. And whatever that may be, thank you for the great years, and good luck doing whatever it is you decide to do, and I'll bet you'll be great at it.

Hater :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Good for Hines, but I really want Cotchery to stay with us. I dont think thats gonna happen unless Emmanuel Sanders gets the Axe.

ShoeHorn
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
The thought of seeing Hines Ward wearing another team's uniform makes me want to puke. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him or he
retires

ALLD
01-10-2012, 01:09 PM
If he cannot catch the first pass of the game when it hits him in the hands, then I don't know if he makes the team.

Carolina Steelers
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
The thought of seeing Hines Ward wearing another team's uniform makes me want to puke. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him or he
retires

I agree, I want Hines to retire on his own terms not forced out i would hate to see him in another uniform. I believe he could play 1 more season but it was hard to watch him on sideline on sunday with a coat on in crucial situations. I think Hines will work hard in the offseason he dosent want to go out this way.

steelreserve
01-10-2012, 04:04 PM
You may be right, but I think there are a lot of guys in the draft that will displace better talent and Cotchery will be nothing more than a #3 guy. Maybe St Louis needs a vet like him, but do you really want to go to the Rams and finish a career?

Depends what your situation is, particularly what else you have to fall back on after you quit playing football. Cotchery is a pretty good test case for that, actually - a guy who has made a fair amount of money but not a whole lot by NFL standards. Probably around $15M in total over his career so far.

So you figure he keeps half that after taxes, which leaves him with $7.5M. Then figure half of that is already spent (in all likelihood more than half, but this is just for argument's sake), so $3.75M. Then he's going to live another 40-45 years, which means he has about $85,000 a year to live on. Figure in inflation, and by the time he's in his 50s and 60s that becomes more like the equivalent of $35,000 a year. So - adding another $7-8 million to your bank account late in your career makes a HUGE difference, even if it means playing for the Rams. That's why so many guys do it. I'd do it too, unless I had another potentially high-paying job lined up, like coaching or a TV/radio gig. But for most players, this is the last chance they have to move the needle in terms of whether they'll eventually run out of money or not.

ALLD
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
He would be good on tv. I can see Farrior coming back though.

Moose
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I believe it's all rumors and speculations. I've read the 'hear-say' articles where he said he's retiring, and then I've also read the articles where Hine's himself has said the he wants another SB ring, and that he wants to play for another 2-3 yrs.. Myself, I think I'm going to believe Hine's, and I'll wait for his new's conference to anounce retirement plans when he decides to do so, this year or in the future....media is all BS all the time !!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
What is Hines cap hit next season? Got to be pretty high to pay a #4 or #5 WR on the depth chart.

Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
The problem with being front and center for so long is leaving the stage in grace......I hope Hines does it in grace.

steelerdude15
01-11-2012, 12:12 AM
I believe he's going to have to take a pay cut for staying. He's going to make too much money to be a number four or five receiver.

steelreserve
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
What is Hines cap hit next season? Got to be pretty high to pay a #4 or #5 WR on the depth chart.

It's something like $4M if I recall, even with the restructuring he did a couple years ago. Defintely would need to take a step down if he's going to be that low on the depth chart.