PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
From what I've heard, we will be 22 million over the cap next year. Obviously that will be reduced dramatically by the verterans we will be releasing or the others that retire. I see Ward, Farrior, Smith either retiring or being released. Hampton is the toughest decision. I think Kemo will also be cut along with Mcfadden. But even after all of those dollars off of our books, will we have any money to possibly sign a guy or two. I know the Steelers are not big free agent players, but they do get some sneaky guys once in a while. A good example was Cotchery this year.

siss
01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I hope we keep Cochery! I really like him!

steel9guy
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
What about Wallace?

GodfatherofSoul
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Steelers rebuilding year I say (not a Redskins rebuilding year where you go 4-12). We've been riding some old talent for long enough. Time to purge the dead weight and get back to old school Steelers draft strategy. Anyone old or injury-prone gets jettisoned then spend the next draft or two filling in the gaps and making the young guys starters like we did with the WRs.

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I think we have a lot of young talent on offense and we should not have to rebuild to the extent that most teams do. I was very dissapointed in our front 3 yesterday once Hampton and Kiesel went out. Hood and Heyward were our last 2 first rd picks and were invisible yesterday when we needed them. They need to be able to step up next year. I think having Clark out yesterday was huge and as with most years, if we could be relatively healthy next year, we can compete for the Super Bowl.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
What about Wallace?

RFA. Will get the highest tender, very unlikely we lose him.

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Chidi, do you know the salaries of the guys that will probably either retire or not be back like Ward, Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hampton and others? Are there other guys on our team besides Wallace that we need to re-sign this offseason. I am hoping we can get one contributor added to our team through free agency for next year. Obviously it wouldnt be a huge name guy, since that is not an option, but a solid player.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Chidi, do you know the salaries of the guys that will probably either retire or not be back like Ward, Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hampton and others? Are there other guys on our team besides Wallace that we need to re-sign this offseason. I am hoping we can get one contributor added to our team through free agency for next year. Obviously it wouldnt be a huge name guy, since that is not an option, but a solid player.

Steelersdepot is pretty solid for Steelers' contracts. Rotoworld is reliable for league-wide.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/steelers-2012-salary-cap-total-players-under-contract/

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
good article. Here are the players who probably will not be with us next year and their salary for next year...

Casey Hampton- 8 mil
Kemo- 5 mil
Farrior-4 mil
Foote- 3.5 mil
Hines- 4.5 mil
McFadden- 2.7 mil
Jonathon Scott- 2.7 mil

That drops over 30 mil off next year's cap. Also, Colon is due to make 5.7 next year, which will either have to be restructured, or he'll probably be gone as well. Does this sound correct?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
cap will likely rise next year too. Hampton, Farrior, Hines, Kemo, McFadden gone. Scott and Foote probably staying and maybe restructure.

fansince'76
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
cap will likely rise next year too. Hampton, Farrior, Hines, Kemo, McFadden gone. Scott and Foote probably staying and maybe restructure.

Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently, the salary cap will not be increasing by much in 2012, if at all: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011/12/19/2646007/salary-cap-will-not-increase-in-2012

Again, as I can't find mention of it anywhere else, the reliability of that statement may be in question.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently, the salary cap will not be increasing by much in 2012, if at all: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011/12/19/2646007/salary-cap-will-not-increase-in-2012

Again, as I can't find mention of it anywhere else, the reliability of that statement may be in question.

Nice article. I like the prospects of either Dan Connor or Omar Gathier being a FA ILB that the Steelers could use instead of Farrior or Foote.

polamalubeast
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I wish than Mike Wallace signs a long term contract with the Steelers.

The Duke
01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice article. I like the prospects of either Dan Connor or Omar Gathier being a FA ILB that the Steelers could use instead of Farrior or Foote.

the panthers would be foolish to let Connor go

either way he'll get a huge contract. Maybe he'll take a discount to play in PA again?

I wish than Mike Wallace signs a long term contract with the Steelers.

Make him sign one now. After his recent drops and fading in the second quarter of the season his stock shouldn't be as high as it could be

steelreserve
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Don't forget that we'll also free up $3-$4 mil from Starks' previous deal. When we cut him before the season, all the rest of his remaining prorated bonus money counted toward 2011. Even though he ended up re-signing.

Hey, come to think of it, we probably save another $500K-$1M if Starks can't play next year because of the ACL injury. Although I'd rather that's not the case.

At any rate, it looks like another typical Steelers offseason where we don't have the money to sign any big free agents and we end up right against the cap, but we keep most of our own guys. This one's going to be tough because so many guys are at the end of their careers, though, and not sure how we replace them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
This one's going to be tough because so many guys are at the end of their careers, though, and not sure how we replace them.

Not bad as you think. Hampton can be replaced by a rookie #1 pick, McLendon rotation. Starks injury puts an OT lineup of Gilbert, Scott, Colon, Essex or the 2nd round pick this year. Kemo is gone and we have to go with Foster, Legursky, #3 pick and a journeyman like Essex.

ILB becomes tough, but cut loose Farrior and sign a stop gap vet like Takeo Spikes while drafting somebody. Biggest gaps become OLB, as hopefully Chris Carter can be the guy to bring pressure when Woodley and Harrison are ineffective or injured.

Oh well, the 2nd season begins. Senior Bowl in a few weeks.

XxKnightxX
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Welcome the 2012 Arizona Cardinals Signing Class :rofl2: