PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to the 2011 Steelers.

Edman
01-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Good Season, but no redemption and not even a single playoff win.

2011 bookended by embarrassments on the road. Week 1 get embarrassed by Baltimore and a mediocre QB, and in the last week we end up getting owned on the road by Denver and a subpar QB, that will likely get thrashed next week.

A season of highs, lows, surprises, and frustrations ended up with a 12-4 finish. Not bad.

I'm gonna check up and see how the Penguins are doing.

tube517
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Didn't seem like it was meant to be this year but we can't win every year. Losing in the playoffs sucks but damn, we're not the Cryboys or the Stains. We'll be back.

SteelerFanInStl
01-08-2012, 07:32 PM
The season started with a terrible game and ended with a terrible game. Something has to change for next year.

Steeldude
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
the rah-rah fans will be posting soon enough to say how it's no big deal, there is always next year.

Count Steeler
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Got to ask the question if our conditioning regime was to blame for our injuries. Or some of our injuries. We just could not seem to get healthy.

Steelsauce
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Update on the Pens for you:

Lost 4 straight.

Crosby - probably done for the year
Letang - (best defenseman) out for over a month with concussion and no timetable for return)
Neal - top goal scorer, broken foot out 4-6 weeks
Staal - out 6 weeks

That's just to name a few.

So pretty much full of suck like the steelers this year when it comes to injuries.

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
The season started with a terrible game and ended with a terrible game. Something has to change for next year.

This team got a little bit too flashy, but lost substance. Got a little bit too cocky and prideful... and pride comes right before the fall.

SteelerFanInStl
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Got to ask the question if our conditioning regime was to blame for our injuries. Or some of our injuries. We just could not seem to get healthy.

Been wondering the same thing myself.

steelerdude15
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
At least we made the playoffs after losing the Super Bowl. We didn't even make the playoffs when they won them.

salamander
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Kind of have to wonder how not having a true off-season hurt us... even though a lot of people said we would have an advantage because we were "older".

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 07:38 PM
This year looks like to 2007.

Too many injuries and the injury of Woodley and Roethlisberger has killed the team.

Edman
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
-11 Turnover Ratio, Sacks were down, Getting no Turnovers, Pressure was gone, Mendenhall not having a good season, Injuries, Veterans on their way out.

Something just wasn't "up" with this team this year. Still avoided a SB hangover.

With losing the division and not winning a playoff game, that pretty much gets rid of the pressure the team has for next season. We discovered we have some young and upcoming talent, but it's going to be for naught if some changes aren't made. Some changes need to be made if this team is to succeed in 2012 and beyond, or we'll potentially fall into a lull.

First and foremost, this Steeler team needs to start seizing control to the Young Bucks and growing new talent. Say bye to some popular vets and bring the next men up. Most importantly, get a viable backup QB for Ben. Thank You Charlie, but that's it. End the Denny Dixon experiment. He's no good.

SMR
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

I honestly have been wondering since TWO YEARS ago about our conditioning regime. Something rotten is going on. IMO I think we should have won at least two more Super Bowls by this year if not for the injuries. Just my opinion.

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
-11 Turnover Ratio, Sacks were down, Getting no Turnovers, Pressure was gone, Mendenhall not having a good season, Injuries, Veterans on their way out.

Something just wasn't "up" with this team this year. Still avoided a SB hangover.

With losing the division and not winning a playoff game, that pretty much gets rid of the pressure the team has for next season. We discovered we have some young and upcoming talent, but it's going to be for naught if some changes aren't made. Some changes need to be made if this team is to succeed in 2012 and beyond, or we'll potentially fall into a lull.

It's amazing they were 12-4 despite a turnovers ratio of -13

The Duke
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
sad thing is the farewell to several veterans

how many plays was Hines in tonight? The look on his face all game, having already the 1000th, his salary, it all seems to add up to him not coming back

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I also noticed this team didn't have 1 4th qtr comeback game this year, if I'm mistaken. They've lost their "clutchness".

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
sad thing is the farewell to several veterans

how many plays was Hines in tonight? The look on his face all game, having already the 1000th, his salary, it all seems to add up to him not coming back

Hines was one of the only vets that did not get injured this year. He's still made of Steel... lol.

Carolina Steelers
01-08-2012, 07:49 PM

First and foremost, this Steeler team needs to start seizing control to the Young Bucks and growing new talent. Say bye to some popular vets and bring the next men up. Most importantly, get a viable backup QB for Ben. Thank You Charlie, but that's it. End the Denny Dixon experiment. He's no good.

I agree with everything you said but i hope we dont fall into a lull.

86WARD
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Good riddens...

zulater
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
the rah-rah fans will be posting soon enough to say how it's no big deal, there is always next year.

Go be a Browns fan.

tube517
01-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Rah rah fans, huh? Yeah, we should be 19-0 every year and win it all. Anything less is unacceptable. Fire the Rooneys. :sarcasm:

Steeldude
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM

i thought about this years ago with the rash of hamstring injuries. it could be or i guess the steelers just have bad luck with health issues

tube517
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Go be a Browns fan.

Better yet, be a Cryboys fan, with all the money and talent and win jack shit every year.

steel9guy
01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I hate to say it but I think Crosby's career is done. (Not to add insult to injury) but thank goodness this terrible season is over. I hated this season more than 06.

PalmerSteel
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
pouncy, mendy, game shape-wood, the beard, big snack, 100% ben = still top team to beat. just need to work on our age/skill/depth. sucks BIG TIME its over already, but loved watching every game, and will continue as always next year. call that rah rah if you want, i call it bein f'in real, and not being a monday morning bitcher

SMR
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Rah rah fans, huh? Yeah, we should be 19-0 every year and win it all. Anything less is unacceptable. Fire the Rooneys. :sarcasm:

LOL, true.

fansince'76
01-09-2012, 12:56 AM

What else is there to say? Disappointing loss, think I'll go out and walk in front of a speeding bus because of it?

Craic
01-09-2012, 01:01 AM

Wait, what, next year has been canceled?

Kvetching about this year will get us back in the playoffs this year?

Who would have thunk it?

steelreserve
01-09-2012, 02:42 AM

Been wondering the same thing myself.

I don't see how that played into it, really. We had a bunch of guys get hit in the knees and ankles (Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Sanders, Moore), a broken face bone (Harrison), a broken arm (leftwich), two guys mess up their neck (Hoke, Smith), a shoulder injury (Hampton) and the offensive line getting beat up as usual. Then Woodley with a hamstring. I don't see how any of that has to do with conditioning, so much as bad luck and possibly career-long wear and tear for the older players.

Truth is, our chances were shot as soon as Ben messed up his ankle against Cleveland. Remember how we were all saying "Oh no, he broke his ankle; we're screwed?" Well, he might as well have broken his ankle; he was barely more effective than Batch or Dixon given his limitations. The other injuries were just icing on the cake. Overall, we had a good team, but we peaked in the middle of the season and then we were struggling just to limp through one game to the next, and that's not how you win championships. The saying "Just wasn't in the cards" was practically invented for the Steelers this year.