PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau and the defensive plan....

steeldevil
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
We all know Tebow is GARBAGE.

But.....

The way we completely sold out to stop the run was sooooooooooooo STUPID. Tebow can still pass the ball somewhat, I mean he is an nfl quarterback. You cannot just put all 11 guys within 10 yards of the LOS.

The last play of the game is a perfect example. So were several others that he hit for big plays.

So dumb.

LeBeau and Tomlin underestimated Tebow, which is very hard to do because he is garbage.

steeldevil
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
ALL their long passes came when we were alligned like this.

Unacceptable.

Its so stupid.

Count Steeler
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Perhaps he expected Taylor to make a play. Or maybe somebody to get a sack?

We have a lot of work to do this off season. Take a week off Kevin and Omar, get a rest and get to work early next week. Need a killer draft and a killer free agency season.

86WARD
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Evidentally, Tebow's not garbage...lol.

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I thought it was all Roses. LeBeau never devises a poor gameplan.

7willBheaven
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I was disappointed with how the D played or the plays that were called most of the game...the 1st qtr they did pretty good but after that nothing.

GodfatherofSoul
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
We sold out on containing Tebow, not stopping the run.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
LeBeau and Tomlin underestimated Tebow, which is very hard to do because he is garbage.

hindsight is 20/20. And im pretty sure you did too.

Austin87
01-09-2012, 03:58 AM
Tebow couldn't pass the ball all season. I think LeBeau called a good game, the defense just didn't execute. The overtime play was another story, we dared Tebow to beat us and he did. That is on the defense and LeBeau.

Tugger
01-09-2012, 07:26 AM
I can't give hindsight when you're getting your ass kicked at halftime, make a goddamn adjustment! We can't expect other teams to roll over, Tomlin is always talking about imposing your will on others.

Godfather
01-09-2012, 07:33 AM
I can't give hindsight when you're getting your ass kicked at halftime, make a goddamn adjustment! We can't expect other teams to roll over, Tomlin is always talking about imposing your will on others.

We held them to three points in the second half. Sounds like the halftime adjustment wasn't that bad.

No gameplan can make up for the way Ike played yesterday. Normally he keeps the other team's best WR under control...last night he couldn't have covered any of us.

suitanim
01-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Tebow is still garbage...I have NEVER seen him throw seven accurate passes in one game.

NEVER.

Look at how many balls he still tossed into the dirt. The kid ain't a QB, he just had tremendous luck and played the game of his lifetime last night. Couple that with some errant play in our secondary, and it's was a perfect storm...

ayeyojjo
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
We just need to make changes. Starting from the secondary. I don't know if Tomlin believes that looking at his draft strategy this past year.

fansince'76
01-09-2012, 08:45 AM
We just need to make changes. Starting from the secondary. I don't know if Tomlin believes that looking at his draft strategy this past year.

They drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year. :noidea:

ayeyojjo
01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
They drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year. :noidea:

Where the hell are they. Honestly I think this should be the year where stop being cheap and spend big by trading up for draft picks this year. Matt Kalil coming out of USC is a high caliber lineman or heck even picking up a high caliber Cornerback would do wonders for this team. We lost out numerous times in the past (Kyle Wilson:Jets, Jimmy Smith: Ravens). It's time we aggressively address our biggest weaknesses O-line and Defensive Secondary. Both hurt us yesterday and in the Superbowl.

Ike Taylor, Marcus Gilbert, and Gay need to go! I apologize for any ignorance that may come off but I'm a passionate fan and I hate to see us lose because of mistakes we make in the offseason.

fansince'76
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Where the hell are they. Honestly I think this should be the year where stop being cheap and spend big by trading up for draft picks this year. Matt Kalil coming out of USC is a high caliber lineman or heck even picking up a high caliber Cornerback would do wonders for this team. We lost out numerous times in the past (Kyle Wilson:Jets, Jimmy Smith: Ravens). It's time we aggressively address our biggest weaknesses O-line and Defensive Secondary. Both hurt us yesterday and in the Superbowl.

Ike Taylor, Marcus Gilbert, and Gay need to go! I apologize for any ignorance that may come off but I'm a passionate fan and I hate to see us lose because of mistakes we make in the offseason.

Well, Brown was put on IR right before Xmas and Allen was out with a shoulder injury last night. I would like to see an OG picked up in the draft early, personally.

ayeyojjo
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, Brown was put on IR right before Xmas and Allen was out with a shoulder injury last night. I would like to see an OG picked up in the draft early, personally.

I say we trade up to get Matt Kalil but the then again we've got to be realistic..... Or we could even look at some of the great Corner prospects coming out of LSU. It'll be an interesting draft for us to say the least.

steel9guy
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
We do not adjust good with Lebeau. When it was obvious that Tebow was figuring out the 8 in the box look it was time to change. Been like that all year. I like Lebeau and respect the heck out of him but he has made poor decisions this year. This Defense didn't deserve to be number 1.

melvind02
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Like it or not, Ike is our best cover corner and had a hell of a year, just was the worse time to have a bad game. Get rid of Gilbert??? He had a hell of a season for a Rookie at LT. I agree with Gay leaving, but one thing that wasnt addressed in your rant. We had no pass rush all night and only 3 DL, I dont care who you have a CB, Deion is the best cover corner I ever saw, he wouldnt have been able to cover a WR as long as Tebow had back there. Any QB in the NFL would have completed those passes when he has all day to throw. About last night, how does Harrison and Woodley both play and not ONE SINGLE HOLDING CALL against the Broncos, am I to believe the OL for the Broncos is that good. We broke a major rule in the Art Of War, we under estimated our opponent, period and still battled back as the defense gave up only 3 points and caused a turnover in the 2nd half. The injuries to our front 7 on Defense killed us last night and this year. I hate to say it but injuries happen, look at the Texans, they still pulled it off. Out biggest weakness this year on the oline was Kemo bar none. Pouncey needs to stay healthy, I konw It's not his fault for being hurt, but our Guard play was suspect this year. Gotta be able to run the ball. I can deal with the loss, hell I lived long enough to feel 2 super bowl losses. My problem is HOW we lost. I think Coach Tomlin is smart enough to learn lessons from this season and get better. The window is not closed yet for other Super Bowl wins. I too am a passionate fan, but I am not a blind passoinate fan, not suggesting that you are but there are plenty out there. 12-5 Good Season considering what we had to go through, ok, ok I gotta say it, it would have been nice to see what would have happened if we were a little healthier this year. There I said it, phew. Gonna be a long spring, summer. At least I can watch and play golf, wearing my Steelers gear proudly because we are still the standard of getting it right more times than any organization.

The Duke
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM

Kalil is a top 5 pick, not worth even mentioning

and you want Ike Gilbert and Gay gone?? Man, you'd rock as a GM :crazy:

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
The plan was to stop the run, and force Tebow to beat us with the pass, it backfired and we lost.

It happens. It would have been nice had the offense scored TDs instead of FGs early on. It would have been nice if our D Line wasn't torn to shreds with injuries and our starting safety had been in the game. it would have been great had our linebacker core gotten to play together as a team for a majority of the year instead of being a patch work of player flipping slots for the entire regular season and it would have been nice if the other team wasn't allowed to hold...every fcking pass play...but alas...it is what it is.

tube517
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, lets get rid of Marcus Gilbert. And get older on the OL. That's the ticket.

melvind02
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
The plan was to stop the run, and force Tebow to beat us with the pass, it backfired and we lost.

It happens. It would have been nice had the offense scored TDs instead of FGs early on. It would have been nice if our D Line wasn't torn to shreds with injuries and our starting safety had been in the game. it would have been great had our linebacker core gotten to play together as a team for a majority of the year instead of being a patch work of player flipping slots for the entire regular season and it would have been nice if the other team wasn't allowed to hold...every fcking pass play...but alas...it is what it is.

Well said sir, well said.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
They said on 93.7 this morning that the Steelers never touched Tebow all afternoon.

They won't stop anyone with a lack of pass rush like that.

tube517
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
They said on 93.7 this morning that the Steelers never touched Tebow all afternoon.

They won't stop anyone with a lack of pass rush like that.

2011: Low sack count + Low turnover ratio = A shaky "#1" defense.

The WH
01-09-2012, 12:13 PM
The poor defensive play comes from losing nearly the entire starting and 2nd string D-line before the beginning of the second half. No Hoke, Smith, Kiesel, or Hampton.....you have no ability to generate a 3 or 4 man rush OR contain the run without the help of 2 or 3 linebackers.

A healthy D-line gives this team the ability to free up 1 to two extra players (Troy being one of them) to defend the pass and/or open up the blitz packages.

With a healthy D-line Tebow is forced the leave the pocket earlier and doesn't have the football equivalent of a month to find an open man.

This doesn't even start to pick on the the holding of James Harrison (which was so embarassingly obvious on the first deep pass Tebow completed.) The O-lineman had Harrison by the inside of his shoulderpads and by the forearm.

Furthermore, the league needs to investigate Denver LB Aires clearly wrenching Ben's ankle after his second quarter sack. I know what I saw, and if anyone disagrees they need to dig up the footage to prove me otherwise.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm still baffled by what happened on their game-winning TD. Trying to figure out what went wrong.

We dropped both safties down like that a few times earlier in the game so it isn't an issue of Mundy free-lancing (not that we would probably have that authority anyway). Ike is shaded outside and with no safety help deep, it is so easy for Thomas to win inside. I could have done that. But it wasn't Cover 0, there was zone in it because Mundy turns and runs after seeing pass.

What do you guys think?

The WH
01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Mundy came up too far i think.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Mundy came up too far i think.

I don't know what to think. I mean, he did that a few times before because you're assuming run.

I'm assuming we knew Mundy was going to come up. Ike has to shade inside. Can't let him win to the inside on the play.

If we are playing even just single high safety, the skinny post probably isn't a viable option and Thomas will have to break it off to a dig route.

steeldevil
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
It was designed. Thats my point. Its a clear underestimation and lack of respect for Tebow. You simply can't have all 11 guys up within 5-7 yards of the line. Even Tebow cant make big plays a time or 2, or 3 or 4, if you make it that easy for him....

GodfatherofSoul
01-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Something else the announcers talked about pregame. Ike was explicitly warned by the coaches not to cede the deep ball and underestimate Tebow because they'd seen too many DBs get lulled to sleep by his lackluster play.

NCSteeler
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
We held them to three points in the second half. Sounds like the halftime adjustment wasn't that bad.

No gameplan can make up for the way Ike played yesterday. Normally he keeps the other team's best WR under control...last night he couldn't have covered any of us.

Actually anyone that lives around NC can spot the old Fox head in the sand offense that they were running in the second half. I believe the 2nd half score had more to do with them conserving a lead than our adjustments.

NCSteeler
01-10-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm still baffled by what happened on their game-winning TD. Trying to figure out what went wrong.

We dropped both safties down like that a few times earlier in the game so it isn't an issue of Mundy free-lancing (not that we would probably have that authority anyway). Ike is shaded outside and with no safety help deep, it is so easy for Thomas to win inside. I could have done that. But it wasn't Cover 0, there was zone in it because Mundy turns and runs after seeing pass.

What do you guys think?

What went wrong is Denver was aggressive. I think I remember a stat where Denver was a 90 percent 1st down run team. You can't ignore that when your calling the defense.

NCSteeler
01-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Also we have had a hard time stopping the run all year, so going against the best run team, I'm sure they felt they had to sell out to stop it. My only problem was I didn't think they could beat us running the ball. Let them run and out score them.