PDA

View Full Version : The Number 1 Priority for next Season Is.......

katmandu
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Protecting Ben and keeping him healthy!

GodfatherofSoul
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Seriously, get depth at o-line and probably at d-line as well.

Dodt
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
work on the o line and work on the secondary.

pepsyman1
01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Get an OC that can consistently get them to put points on the board. What a debacle

steelerdude15
01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I hope we get another linemen in the draft.

steelpride12
01-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up. We've been saying this for years, but moneys bet on OL isn't drafted until 4th round or later.

tube517
01-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Get everyone healthy and draft some OG and OT's

The Duke
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Guard one the 1st please, Ben needs one

SteelerFanInStl
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
work on the o line and work on the secondary.

Yep, two areas in desperate need of some help. We'll need a NT too to replace Big Snack.

86WARD
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Get an OC that can consistently get them to put points on the board. What a debacle

lol...why? Arains can do no wrong...it must be the players execution...pfffft.

SMR
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Not only keep Ben protected and healthy, but.....

KEEP THE REST OF THE FRICKIN' STEELERS TEAM HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steeldude
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Protecting Ben and keeping him healthy!

it won't happen. it's not always the fault of the below average O-line. sometimes BR's injuries are a result of him scrambling around trying to find his WRs. it would be nice if the steelers employed more 3-step drops.

steelpride12
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
You think the Steelers are unhealthy look at the Pens the last two seasons ugh. It's a Pittsburgh thing.

Count Steeler
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Need a better pass rush as well.

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Not only keep Ben protected and healthy, but.....

KEEP THE REST OF THE FRICKIN' STEELERS TEAM HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. Now I see why some players went to roids in the 70's (although they were not illegal then) so that their injuries could heal faster.

shutdown
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I love how idiots make it that simple.

That's like saying "I want to keep a guy who runs through thorn bushes, unpricked".

Its stupid, stupid, stupid.

How did Ben get injured this year?

By extending the gosh darn play instead of throwing the ball away when he had pressure.

We all cheer when its effective, yet ignorantly slam the offensive line when its not.

Lets not be retarded here. Ben is responsible for his injuries more than others are most of the time, especially this season.

dislocatedday
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Offensive line..............followed by NT and ILB

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM

lol. and how do you propose we go about doing this.

Upgrading Harrison and Woodley? :lol:

The Duke
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Robert Ayers (considered by many to be a bust) had two sacks on Ben and was all over him numerous times

why do we always allow nobodies to do this??

BigNastyDefense
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
We need to draft offensive line in the first round. While Ben causes himself harm from holding the ball to long and running around waiting for someone to come open, too often are our guards blown off of the LOS on both run and pass plays.

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
The Arians/Ben relationship must end for this offense to get better.

To bad if it hurts Bens feelings.

This offense stinks.

steel9guy
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Winning.

zulater
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM

This offense stinks.

Agree. Arians has done better than I thought. but it's time to move on and see if someone can get Ben's game to the next level.

GodfatherofSoul
01-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I think we need a disciplinarian for Ben to keep him in check. Him and Arians seem to chummy.

steelreserve
01-09-2012, 12:11 AM
How about spend $2-3M or so to get a decent kicker, and up to the same amount on a real backup QB?

If Leftwich is still around next year and hurts himself in preseason, I bet we think twice about putting him on IR.

Austin87
01-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Winning.

Hahaha...this.

XxKnightxX
01-09-2012, 04:18 AM
it won't happen. it's not always the fault of the below average O-line. sometimes BR's injuries are a result of him scrambling around trying to find his WRs. it would be nice if the steelers employed more 30 step drops.

Fixed it for ya . Arians has no problems with that.

XxKnightxX
01-09-2012, 04:20 AM
I think we need a disciplinarian for Ben to keep him in check. Him and Arians seem to chummy.

Thats always been my problem, the QBs thinking they can get away with a bad throw or decision. I think its obvious that Ben needs to start implementing more of a system first and scrambling as a pure necessity. He will not last more than 3 or 5 year if he keeps up with this kind of play

Count Steeler
01-09-2012, 05:42 AM
The Lines. O and D. We need to win the trenches. That sets up everything else. If we can't win the trenches, it doesn't matter who is our OC/DC. We will be a better than 500 team because of our skilled players, but that too can change quickly.

We need an elite guard and an elite NT for starters. And we need better trainers or something, cause these injuries are problematic.

Texasteel
01-09-2012, 06:44 AM

This offense stinks.

I hope your wrong. I would like to keep Ben a little while longer.

I think we need work on both lines. I am hoping for a NT and a OG, and a ILB, hope they can find another OT as well. I still don't little the LT situation much.

ALLD
01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Ben will not be able to play for a new contract if we do not get a better OL.

Texasteel
01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Ben will not be able to play for a new contract if we do not get a better OL.

Ben brings a lot of that on himself, and probably always will, just the way he plays. It's the rush that comes storming up the middle that bothers me most, and it seems to me that has be happening quite a bit. I hope we can find an OG, or maybe a good center that can also play OG.

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't expect any changes until after the Super Bowl.

LLT
01-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Count Steeler

lol. and how do you propose we go about doing this.

Upgrading Harrison and Woodley? :lol:

I would suggest a young, strong NT would improve our rush defense....Casey not only no longer demands a double team but is getting blown off the ball by the one player who is blocking him. I saw it over and over yesterday. It is the ONLY position on defense that I think needs to be upgraded immediately.

The 3-4 defense is predicated on the defensive line taking up blockers and allowing the LBers to flow to the ball. Casey isnt getting it done on a regular basis and it is freeing up guards to move up into the second level and block our inside linebackers.

We have a good start with a future DE tandem of Hood and Heyward....its time to shore up the middle. Until we do, it wont matter who we have at linebacker.

I like our OLB's and the depth behind them....I have liked Sly from what I have seen so far but theink that we need to look at drafting a young ILB for depth .....and I think that we have a some good young defensive-back talent on the team (finally!) Our weakest link on defense is NT which is affecting the whole defensive scheme. Teams are running on us...we have to bring an extra man into the box...then they pass on us when we are forced into man to man coverage. All becasue we dont have a NT that can demand the double team and collapse the pocket.

The second and third pick in this draft have to be spent on the O-line....I dont see a huge drope off in OG talent from the end of the first round to the end of the second so I think we can still get a starting guard and OT early.

tube517
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
I would suggest a young, strong NT would improve our rush defense....Casey not only no longer demands a double team but is getting blown off the ball by the one player who is blocking him. I saw it over and over yesterday. It is the ONLY position on defense that I think needs to be upgraded immediately.

The 3-4 defense is predicated on the defensive line taking up blockers and allowing the LBers to flow to the ball. Casey isnt getting it done on a regular basis and it is freeing up guards to move up into the second level and block our inside linebackers.

We have a good start with a future DE tandem of Hood and Heyward....its time to shore up the middle. Until we do, it wont matter who we have at linebacker.

I like our OLB's and the depth behind them....I have liked Sly from what I have seen so far but theink that we need to look at drafting a young ILB for depth .....and I think that we have a some good young defensive-back talent on the team (finally!) Our weakest link on defense is NT which is affecting the whole defensive scheme. Teams are running on us...we have to bring an extra man into the box...then they pass on us when we are forced into man to man coverage. All becasue we dont have a NT that can demand the double team and collapse the pocket.

The second and third pick in this draft have to be spent on the O-line....I dont see a huge drope off in OG talent from the end of the first round to the end of the second so I think we can still get a starting guard and OT early.

Agree.
I think a stud NT with a healthy Harrison and Woodley will be fine. Casey is old and he isn't the NT he was a few years ago. Hoke is probably finished so if Casey stays, we at least need to fill Hoke's spot

suitanim
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Agree with all of this. I actually think we should have looked NT last year, but you can't draft for all your needs in one year. We DESPERATELY need Oline help. Those two changes right there are probably enough. While I was busy laughing hysterically at the comedy of errors that was our team lats night, which slowly drove me insane, I still had some rational thoughts. Number one was how many people would reflexively knee-jerk and blame the whole mess on Arians.

We had a gimpy QB who couldn't move or throw playing behind a make-shift Oline, and our defense let an H-back running a high school offense light us up like Joe Montana, but it's the OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS fault....okey dokey.....

ayeyojjo
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
You people are pissing me off. You clearly can't see that the only changes that need to happen are our Cb's. They've let us down numerous times before. First the Superbowl and then now! I'm tired of seeing linebackers and lineman drafted. When the weakness is the Secondary. Ike Taylor and Gay NEED TO GO!!!!! I'm sick and tired of watching us getting pick apart by the pass. #1 defense my ass.
b

LLT
01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
You people are pissing me off. You clearly can't see that the only changes that need to happen are our Cb's. They've let us down numerous times before. First the Superbowl and then now! I'm tired of seeing linebackers and lineman drafted. When the weakness is the Secondary. Ike Taylor and Gay NEED TO GO!!!!! I'm sick and tired of watching us getting pick apart by the pass. #1 defense my ass.
b

Two things:

1) We have three young talented CB's on the roster....Lewis...Allen...Brown. I dont think its time to give up on them, especially in light of the fact that two of them were in their rookie season.

2) You need to back down from the "You guys are pissing me off" tone. Aim your comments at the topic...not the posters. K?

Being condescending is NO way to start your membership here.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I love how idiots make it that simple.

That's like saying "I want to keep a guy who runs through thorn bushes, unpricked".

Its stupid, stupid, stupid.

How did Ben get injured this year?

By extending the gosh darn play instead of throwing the ball away when he had pressure.

We all cheer when its effective, yet ignorantly slam the offensive line when its not.

Lets not be retarded here. Ben is responsible for his injuries more than others are most of the time, especially this season.

Ummmm....thanks for making it so simple...:wink02:

Godfather
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
We need a strong safety too. Troy is getting old and his style of play is going to shorten his career.

Better to have his successor around to learn from him, instead of trying to replace him after he's gone.

LLT
01-09-2012, 09:17 AM
We need a strong safety too. Troy is getting old and his style of play is going to shorten his career.

Better to have his successor around to learn from him, instead of trying to replace him after he's gone.

Agreed...but as of now its just depth. I place safety as the same priority as ILB.

My priority list is ...

1) NT
2) OG or OT
3) OT or OG
4) ILB or Safety
5) Safety or ILB
6) BPA (RB...QB...WR...O-line...DE...kicker)
7) BPA (RB...QB...WR...O-line...DE...kicker)

I think that IF we dabble in F-Agency this year...it might be at DE, WR or back up QB.

Paluma0268
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Agreed.

ayeyojjo
01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Two things:

1) We have three young talented CB's on the roster....Lewis...Allen...Brown. I dont think its time to give up on them, especially in light of the fact that two of them were in their rookie season.

2) You need to back down from the "You guys are pissing me off" tone. Aim your comments at the topic...not the posters. K?

Being condescending is NO way to start your membership here.

We should've at least given them more game time reps to see what they're made of. I've just been so frustrated with the lack of decent Cornerback play. It killed us in the Superbowl and it killed us during various parts of the season (Ravens, Texans, Broncos etc.). I can only think of one game where they looked half decent and that ironically against the Patriots. It's brushed off every year by the FO and fans alike. I apologize for taking a condescending tone and you are totally correct but it's time we finally address the issue.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Agreed...but as of now its just depth. I place safety as the same priority as ILB.

My priority list is ...

1) NT
2) OG or OT
3) OT or OG
4) ILB or Safety
5) Safety or ILB

I think that IF we dabble in F-Agency this year...it might be at DE, WR or back up QB.

I dunno Perry. I'm for a NT if one falls into place but I don't think the situation is as dire as you're making it out to be. I didn't see Hampton command a whole ton of double teams this year but he still played well vs single teams and the run defense didn't suffer that much. Some of the bigger running days teams had against us came against teams that used schemes or concepts from ZBS. While it's important to get the NT out of the way in those schemes to create cutback lanes, it doesn't take a double team. Usually just a cut block from the backside guard like the Ravens did in Week 1.

Plus, McClendon has played really well. I'm very, very proud of the way this defensive line of Hood, Heyward, and McClendon played. It was basically just those three for three quarters and they did an excellent job of containing the Broncos' running game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Offensive line..............followed by NT and ILB

So true. Farrior is done. Hampton is on the decline. Dare I say Polamalu is also on the downward slide too. Also, need a pass rusher and hope Chris Carter takes a big leap next season as Worilds didnt get to the QB at all when he got playing time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM

My priority list is ...

1) NT
2) OG or OT
3) OT or OG
4) ILB or Safety
5) Safety or ILB

IF we do dabble in free agency I would rather see an ILB to replace Farrior. NT- Worthy or Ta-aamu??

LLT
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I dunno Perry. I'm for a NT if one falls into place but I don't think the situation is as dire as you're making it out to be.

Casey is as good as done...his knees are admittedly going bad. Its not taking a chop block to take him out. Its very obvious that he cannot leverage like he did just a few years ago and linemen are standing him up and driving him back.

Teams therefore have an extra body to put on our ILBs...the result?

2010... opponants averaged 51.7 rush yards a game
2011...opponants averaged 131.0 rush yards a game

And this is in the new...pass happy...NFL!!!

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I dunno Perry. I'm for a NT if one falls into place but I don't think the situation is as dire as you're making it out to be. I didn't see Hampton command a whole ton of double teams this year but he still played well vs single teams and the run defense didn't suffer that much. Some of the bigger running days teams had against us came against teams that used schemes or concepts from ZBS. While it's important to get the NT out of the way in those schemes to create cutback lanes, it doesn't take a double team. Usually just a cut block from the backside guard like the Ravens did in Week 1.

Plus, McClendon has played really well. I'm very, very proud of the way this defensive line of Hood, Heyward, and McClendon played. It was basically just those three for three quarters and they did an excellent job of containing the Broncos' running game.

Yeah, I was going to say McClendon has done pretty well. I'd still like to get a guard or tackle in the first round, preferably a guard. I love Pouncey and have grown to like Gilbert.

LLT
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
IF we do dabble in free agency I would rather see an ILB to replace Farrior. NT- Worthy or Ta-aamu??

Worthy is my absolute favorite player in this draft.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM

I Agree Chidi I do not think NT is as dire a need either. Also, do we know the likelihood of getting Hoke back? I hope to not see Hampton next year.

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Casey is as good as done...his knees are admittedly going bad. Its not taking a chop block to take him out. Its very obvious that he cannot leverage like he did just a few years ago and linemen are standing him up and driving him back.

Teams have an extra body to put on our ILBs...the result?

2010... opponants averaged 51.7 yards a game
2011...opponants averaged 131.0 yards a game

Casey has only one more year left on his contract. I have a feeling he'll retire at the end of next year if he doesn't this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM

2010... opponants averaged 51.7 yards a game
2011...opponants averaged 131.0 yards a game

And this is in the new...pass happy...NFL!!! Add the fact that Farrior is declining and we are weak up the middle. I know Farrior was injured, but he had 31 fewer tackles this year than last.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM

My priority list is ...

1) NT
2) OG or OT
3) OT or OG
4) ILB or Safety
5) Safety or ILB

I LOVE the idea of two more solid Offensive lineman early.

With all of our weapons that is the only thing keeping us from 30 points a game imo.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Casey has only one more year left on his contract. I have a feeling he'll retire at the end of next year if he doesn't this year.

Casey is no longer effective, especially based upon the money they spend on him.

I hope they do the smart thing and let him go.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM

With all of our weapons that is the only thing keeping us from 30 points a game imo.

I have a hard time believing it's only the line keeping this offense back.

They had two 1,000 yard receivers, a QB with 4,000 yards, a RB with nearly 1,000 yards.

Getting yards wasn't the problem. The line worked between the 20's.

The problem is that this team can't score points other than FG's consistently.

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Yeah, the offensive line continues to hurt us. The only bright spots are Maurkice and Marcus. Marcus got better every game and Maurkice was still a dominant center. Hopefully he won't have any issues with his ankle next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a hard time believing it's only the line keeping this offense back.

They had two 1,000 yard receivers, a QB with 4,000 yards, a RB with nearly 1,000 yards.

The problem is that this team can't score points other than FG's consistently.

Need a physical run game(and threat of one for play action to work) to be able to score in the red zone. The offense isnt built to run the ball and physically dominate defensive lines. We leave that to the 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Texans.

YoungMoneyFam
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Still stunned from last night, but I have finally come to my senses and cooled off a little. I agree with the majority that Casey is really showing his age, and with where we are probably going to end up in the draft, we could probably get the best NT in the draft (or close to it). Another thing I noticed, does Troy seem to be a big liability in pass coverage sometimes?? I wouldn't mind grabbing the best safety in the draft either, as both Clark and Troy are getting up there.

LLT
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Add the fact that Farrior is declining and we are weak up the middle. I know Farrior was injured, but he had 31 fewer tackles this year than last.

Exactly....now follow the logic....

Farrior had 31 fewer tackles than in 2010

Timmons had 43 fewer tackles than in 2010!!!!!

Casey's inability to force a double teams had direct repercussionss on the play of our ILB's. We allowed 2.9 yards a carry in 2010. Counting last night game..we averaged 4.0 yards a carry. this year.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Need a physical run game(and threat of one for play action to work) to be able to score in the red zone. The offense isnt built to run the ball and physically dominate defensive lines. We leave that to the 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Texans.

Exactly what I was thinking in regards to BF's red zone point. A stronger offensive line translates into better running in the Red zone (and more time for Ben to find receivers).

Bottom line, it all starts in the trenches.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I Agree Chidi I do not think NT is as dire a need either. Also, do we know the likelihood of getting Hoke back? I hope to not see Hampton next year.

I imagine Hoke is done. At his age and the severity of the neck injury, his odds aren't good.

XxKnightxX
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
b

Yeah , welcome to the forum, obviously you havent taken your time to read into the threads showing our CBs were the least of our problems this year.

XxKnightxX
01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Agree with all of this. I actually think we should have looked NT last year, but you can't draft for all your needs in one year. We DESPERATELY need Oline help. Those two changes right there are probably enough. While I was busy laughing hysterically at the comedy of errors that was our team lats night, which slowly drove me insane, I still had some rational thoughts. Number one was how many people would reflexively knee-jerk and blame the whole mess on Arians.

We had a gimpy QB who couldn't move or throw playing behind a make-shift Oline, and our defense let an H-back running a high school offense light us up like Joe Montana, but it's the OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS fault....okey dokey.....

Im a firm believer that Heyward can line up as a nose if absolutely needed. But I guess picking at 31 leaves you at a BPA draft situation.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM

2010... opponants averaged 51.7 rush yards a game
2011...opponants averaged 131.0 rush yards a game

I'm not saying he'll be here the next 10 years but he's still doing a good enough job in my eyes. When did we allow big runs up the middle against man blocking teams? We did a great job clogging the middle all year long.

Not sure where the stats are coming from. I see us as allowing 100 yards per game on the ground this year.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Exactly....now follow the logic....

Farrior had 31 fewer tackles than in 2010

Timmons had 43 fewer tackles than in 2010!!!!!

Casey's inability to force a double teams had direct repercussionss on the play of our ILB's. We allowed 2.9 yards a carry in 2010. Counting last night game..we averaged 4.0 yards a carry. this year.

Bad logic. Farrior was often subbed out by Foote for somewhat extended periods of time. It wasn't a 50/50 split like some have suggested but it was usually for the majority of the 2nd quarter. Foote had a 25 tackle increase this year compared to last year. Subrtact that from Farrior's decrease and it is a net loss of six. Not a big deal.

Timmons obviously spent less time at ILB this year. Can't make the comparison when Timmons spent games at weakside backer. Put him in the middle and you're potentially looking at a 25 tackle swing.

Texasteel
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
We should've at least given them more game time reps to see what they're made of. I've just been so frustrated with the lack of decent Cornerback play. It killed us in the Superbowl and it killed us during various parts of the season (Ravens, Texans, Broncos etc.). I can only think of one game where they looked half decent and that ironically against the Patriots. It's brushed off every year by the FO and fans alike. I apologize for taking a condescending tone and you are totally correct but it's time we finally address the issue.

I think we have addressed it bud. Brown was my favorite CB in the draft last year, and Allen has shown more talent than we thought he had. CB is hard to just step into, particularly with our DC. Brown may have been our best STer this year and I think will be ready to play a lot more next year.

I thought that last night showed how frail our D-line is. Yes I know about Hood and Hayward, but I think we need to step it up one more notch with a quality NT. Perry and I have talked about this before and I think this is the year to grab one. If its in the 1st round I hope it is Worthy, or maybe Poe if Worthy is gone. OG is so deep this year that I think we can get a very good one in the 2nd round, maybe even the 3rd. Right now this is the way I am hoping the draft will go right at this moment.

ALLD
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
When LeBueau retires we go to a 4-3. Need more OL & DL with the injury report out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Bad logic. Farrior was often subbed out by Foote for somewhat extended periods of time. It wasn't a 50/50 split like some have suggested but it was usually for the majority of the 2nd quarter. Foote had a 25 tackle increase this year compared to last year. Subrtact that from Farrior's decrease and it is a net loss of six. Not a big deal.

Timmons obviously spent less time at ILB this year. Can't make the comparison when Timmons spent games at weakside backer. Put him in the middle and you're potentially looking at a 25 tackle swing.

So Foote and Farrior combine for 74 fewer tackles, but Foote had 26 more than previous years. Foote filled in for Timmons when he went to OLB, so I am really seeing a decrease of 48 tackles by our ILB's and a increase in tackles by our Safeties of 46 (Troy 28, Clark 10, Mundy 8).

Not sure, but if our ILB's get 48 fewer tackles and our S's get 46 more. One could hypothesize that the Safeties had to make tackles that the ILB's could not. Might mean that opposing RB's were getting into our secondary and not tackled at the 2nd level.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
So Foote and Farrior combine for 74 fewer tackles, but Foote had 26 more than previous years. Foote filled in for Timmons when he went to OLB, so I am really seeing a decrease of 48 tackles by our ILB's and a increase in tackles by our Safeties of 46 (Troy 28, Clark 10, Mundy 8).

Not sure, but if our ILB's get 48 fewer tackles and our S's get 46 more. One could hypothesize that the Safeties had to make tackles that the ILB's could not. Might mean that opposing RB's were getting into our secondary and not tackled at the 2nd level.

74 fewer tackles? Where did that number came from? I'm not sure I'm following.

Though the hypothesis may make some sense, it is tough to say anything definite as to why the tackles increased based on numbers alone. Since the tackles can come in pass coverage, of course.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
74 fewer tackles? Where did that number came from? I'm not sure I'm following.

Though the hypothesis may make some sense, it is tough to say anything definite as to why the tackles increased based on numbers alone. Since the tackles can come in pass coverage, of course.

Timmons had 42 fewer tackles this year, Farrior 32 fewer than compared to previous year. Foote had 26 more than previous year.

can say its not exact same pass-run ratio that the defense faced last year, but on the whole, the ILB's accounted for less tackles and the Safeties accounted for more. Not getting it done up the middle of the defense.

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Timmons had 42 fewer tackles this year, Farrior 32 fewer than compared to previous year. Foote had 26 more than previous year.

can say its not exact same pass-run ratio that the defense faced last year, but on the whole, the ILB's accounted for less tackles and the Safeties accounted for more. Not getting it done up the middle of the defense.

I still can't see how we can make a reliable comparison to last year since there was so much rotation at ILB. You have Timmons moving, Farrior missing games, Foote rotating it. It's completely different than last year and makes any comparison tough.

katmandu
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM

The problem is that this team can't score points other than FG's consistently.Getting Yards in the REDZONE is a MAJOR problem for this Offense!

Can't get the SHORT YARDAGE that are necessary for 3rd downs and TDs!

THAT takes a quality OL without a doubt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 12:29 AM
I still can't see how we can make a reliable comparison to last year since there was so much rotation at ILB. You have Timmons moving, Farrior missing games, Foote rotating it. It's completely different than last year and makes any comparison tough. I took the totals of the guys playing inside LB and compared them. I left out Sylvester, as he is the only other guy that played ILB. Only 7 tackles.

The fact is that our players tat played ILB this yr made a lot less tackles than the guys that played that position last yr. the standard is the standard.

LLT
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM
I took the totals of the guys playing inside LB and compared them. I left out Sylvester, as he is the only other guy that played ILB. Only 7 tackles.

The fact is that our players tat played ILB this yr made a lot less tackles than the guys that played that position last yr. the standard is the standard.

Your math is good.

A decrease in linebacker tackles + an increase in safety tackles + a dramatic INCREASE in rush yards per game = a problem with that needs to be fixed up front.

LLT
01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm not saying he'll be here the next 10 years but he's still doing a good enough job in my eyes. When did we allow big runs up the middle against man blocking teams? We did a great job clogging the middle all year long.

Not sure where the stats are coming from. I see us as allowing 100 yards per game on the ground this year.

The stats are the playoff comparisons from 2010 and 2011....Per NFL.com

The regular season stats are just as obvious...with a 40 rush yard a game increase. No way to get around the numbers.

suitanim
01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Im a firm believer that Heyward can line up as a nose if absolutely needed. But I guess picking at 31 leaves you at a BPA draft situation.

Maybe...I never really saw him as anything other than a DE, and I've watched him play at Ohio State. I actually thought if they WERE gonna move him they'd ask him to lose 20 lbs and play OLB at 265. I think if he's going to move to NT he'll need to gain 20 lbs. You don't absolutely HAVE to be 300+, but I can only think of one successful NT in the league who is under 300 (Dallas' Jay Ratliff).

Dino 6 Rings
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe...I never really saw him as anything other than a DE, and I've watched him play at Ohio State. I actually thought if they WERE gonna move him they'd ask him to lose 20 lbs and play OLB at 265. I think if he's going to move to NT he'll need to gain 20 lbs. You don't absolutely HAVE to be 300+, but I can only think of one successful NT in the league who is under 300 (Dallas' Jay Ratliff).

Do you think we are moving to a more 4/3 type front 7?

suitanim
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Do you think we are moving to a more 4/3 type front 7?

He played DE in a 4-3 at OSU. Sometimes they stood him up...

BND65
01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I got a question about Willie Colon. What do you do with him for next year? Do you keep Gilbert at right tackle(i say yes) and move him into guard or do you put him at right tackle and switch Gilbert to left tackle? Possible option to replace Kemo?

LLT
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I got a question about Willie Colon. What do you do with him for next year? Do you keep Gilbert at right tackle(i say yes) and move him into guard or do you put him at right tackle and switch Gilbert to left tackle? Possible option to replace Kemo?

I think that Gilbert is still not ready for the left side. He shows flashes of being vrey good...but obvipously is still learning how to be a pro boith on and off the field. I project him to be our right tackle for one more year then make the move to the left side. Colon might be a legit OG...and I often wonder how our interior would look if we bookended Legursky with Pouncey and Colon....it will never happen, but with strong guard play on both sides of Doug....I think he would flourish.

BND65
01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree about Legursky but just imagine Pouncey at center with Colon right next to him. Watch out!