PDA

View Full Version : Changes needed after this year

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
This team is a fraud.

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
12 wins meant nothing this season. They are getting torched by a High School QB.

JayC
01-08-2012, 05:05 PM
a ben and arians divorce is needed

XxKnightxX
01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Fuck the excuses. This is as pathetic as they get, even if we come back and win, we have issues that need to be fixed. Where is this teams kill mentality?

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Fire Tomlin,Fire Arians,Fire Lebeau,Cut Ben,wallace,Brown,Polamalu,woodley,Taylor,Harrison ,etc

WORST TEAM EVER

I hate the overeaction

SteelerFanInStl
It's time to get rid of the old and in with the new. Changing of the guard. There's too much talent on this team to be playing like they have this year.

I'm sick to my stomach after watching that first half. No excuse for this team to play that way, even with the injuries.

smokin3000gt
Fuck the excuses. This is as pathetic as they get, even if we come back and win, we have issues that need to be fixed. Where is this teams kill mentality?

It was neutered after the first $200k in fines/suspensions .

SteelerEmpire

There are a few things I know, and I know my Steelers. I've had this feeling all year and saw it coming.

Edman
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
If they're not done in this game, New England will crush them next week. Though we should've seen the signs when they lost twice to Bert (another mediocre dud) and nearly lost to Curtis Painter and Tyler Palko (Two subpar duds).

This is good to be honest, if not embarrassing. This embarrassment is proof that changes need to be made. This team has been slipping the past few weeks and now they're getting game'd on by a team that lost by 30+ to the Bills. They look like the team that lost 3 games going into the postseason and not the Donkeys. Ben looks like Teblow and Tebow looks like Ben.

Even though this was a successful season, We need to take this warning to heart. 2011 was the first warning we've recieved that the old guard is slipping. There needs to be a Changing of the Guard, or else we're back to the 80's.

Losing to Baltimore Twice, the 92-yard drive to Bert and losing to Teblow in his first playoff game will haunt this team all offseason. At least I hope it does and I hope they stew in it.

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
We must relax

The team made ​​eight AFC title game since 1994, this year they were 12-4, which is not bad.

Yes today is disappointing, but last year the Saints have lost against the 7-9 Seahawks and they keep the same players.

12-5 is not a bad season.

The Duke
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
There is definitely a spark of motivation missing on this team. Firing/cutting people does not fix that

adding a real guard to the line would fix a lot of issues too

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Fire Tomlin,Fire Arians,Fire Lebeau,Cut Ben,wallace,Brown,Polamalu,woodley,Taylor,Harrison ,etc

WORST TEAM EVER

I hate the overeaction

I guess we should think this is an abberation?

7willBheaven
Wow Blast got his usual always negative post in early this week!

Steeldude
come on it's only the first playoff game. right?

the team is perfect. why change anything?

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 05:28 PM

yes

We must relax, you're too much on emotion right now.

polamalubeast
01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
come on it's only the first playoff game. right?

the team is perfect. why change anything?

They have weaknesses and it is not our year.

But I love the team and they have done great things for many years and we should be proud.

The Steelers are not the Redskins.

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Isn't this team the #1 pass D... and isn't Tebow probably worst passer in the league ? lol

2 + 2 = 5 here ?

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow Blast got his usual always negative post in early this week!

Keep living in La La land

ALLD
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Need line depth on both sides of the ball.

Godfather
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Need line depth on both sides of the ball.

We had a first line of Smith-Hampton-Keisel and a second line of Hood-Hoke-Heyward.

That's very good. We don't have enough roster spots or salary cap room to go further than that. Four of those six guys were hurt by the end of today.

You're not going to overcome that, and anyone you bring up from the practice squad or sign off the street is available for a reason.

Steeldude
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM

the rah-rah fans always do. just like week one

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Changes needed after this year

Putting body armor on these injury prone players would be a good place to start.

Burghfan58
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM
The o-line is still tops. The defense is old and what is not old isn't all that great. Troy, Hampton, Kiesel, Hoke, Farrior are all on the backside of thier careers. Not sold on Hood or Worilds. Timmons is no world beater. Our kicker is average at best. This team is somewhat of a mess.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
There is definitely a spark of motivation missing on this team. Firing/cutting people does not fix that

adding a real guard to the line would fix a lot of issues too

Dear Lord, will everybody just calm down.

I completely agree Duke.

We have too many old people with numerous superbowl rings quite honestly.

Throw in numerous injuries...and it was a recipe for disaster.

We have a few areas to shore up next year (especially o line) but no need for a fire sale.

7willBheaven
01-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Keep living in La La land

I'm not talking specifically what your post said or anything i'm just talking about you and your constant negativity ALL the time...i dont think i've ever seen you post a positive thread or comment or anything...and you always come off as such a bad way...it just gets old. I dont see how someone can seem so miserable and negative ALL the time, wow.

zulater
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
At this point I would rather be 4-12 and able to fix some ills in the draft. There are no consolation prizes for 12-5 so it is a bad season.

Stupidiest post I've ever seen! :applaudit:

I guess you've never noticed that the same teams are drafting at the top of the round every year? There's a reason for that. Really, there is!

tube517
01-08-2012, 09:21 PM

I guess you've never noticed that the same teams are drafting at the top of the round every year? There's a reason for that. Really, there is!

Zu, you didn't hear that we are supposed to go 19-0 every year and win everything. If we went through 2006 or 2009 again, or even worse, 2003 and 1998-99, this place would be off the chain! :chuckle:

zulater
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
This is the stupidest post ever. What does this have to do with anything I said. Since you get nada for 12-5 it would have been better to go 4-12 and have a lower draft pick to pick up some well need playmakers. I can't help it if the Redskins, Bengals, Vikings, Bucs don't know what to do with their picks doesn't mean we would fall into the same category.

Why do "we" need playmakers? I know this team has needs, but generally speaking "playmakers" are offensive skill players. I think we're pretty good there.

NJarhead
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Agreed. We should test the football iq of new SU members and determine if their opinion really matters to the rest of us

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm not talking specifically what your post said or anything i'm just talking about you and your constant negativity ALL the time...i dont think i've ever seen you post a positive thread or comment or anything...and you always come off as such a bad way...it just gets old. I dont see how someone can seem so miserable and negative ALL the time, wow.

I have plenty of positive things to say. I'm not miserable at all just because I feel that I can critique the Steelers.

You just don't like hearing any criticism of the team at all.

But just keep on cheering and waiving your Terrible Towell and just imagine tonight that the Steelers won. That will make everything better.

Like I told you, just keep on living in La La land.

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I would like it if we got 1 speedy RB as the one's we have can't out run the avg. CB when their in the open field.

BlastFurnace
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I would like it if we got 1 speedy RB as the one's we have can't out run the avg. CB when their in the open field.

Honestly, I really like Mendenhall as a RB. I do think he is misused with the Steelers. IMO, he would be a great receiving back if the Steelers threw to their backs more often. They need to create ways to get him into open space like the Rams used to do with Faulk. Mendenhall is fast enough and shifty enough to make plays in the open field.

I also like Redman a lot as the backup. Today showed what he can do. I also think he has shown that he has decent hands too.

The problem is that this offense doesn't use the dump off pass to the backs. Ben is obsessed with the Bubble Screen and the mid range passes.

7willBheaven
01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I have plenty of positive things to say. I'm not miserable at all just because I feel that I can critique the Steelers.

You just don't like hearing any criticism of the team at all.

But just keep on cheering and waiving your Terrible Towell and just imagine tonight that the Steelers won. That will make everything better.

Like I told you, just keep on living in La La land.

Ya know I had a longer post all typed up giving my thoughts on what you said and all...but I erased it...I've said what I've needed to say about your constant negativity/etc...I don't feel like wasting anymore time repeating things/etc. I have no problem with people criticizing the team...I do it quite a bit also, but I'm also positive a lot of times too.

This team is not a fraud...yes they have issues...no they aren't perfect...but they are a good team...no where close to being frauds as you call them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I think Arians will get an HC job offer. Jim Nantz just made everybody aware of his greatness during the game yesterday. The secret is now out.

tube517
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I think Arians will get an HC job offer. Jim Nantz just made everybody aware of his greatness during the game yesterday. The secret is now out.

:rofl2:

tube517
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Honestly, I really like Mendenhall as a RB. I do think he is misused with the Steelers. IMO, he would be a great receiving back if the Steelers threw to their backs more often. They need to create ways to get him into open space like the Rams used to do with Faulk. Mendenhall is fast enough and shifty enough to make plays in the open field.

I also like Redman a lot as the backup. Today showed what he can do. I also think he has shown that he has decent hands too.

The problem is that this offense doesn't use the dump off pass to the backs. Ben is obsessed with the Bubble Screen and the mid range passes.

Agreed, Blast. Mendy is a good receiver and would be nice to make some plays for him. After all, Arians did say the offense goes through Mendy. Why not use him more in the passing game? Establish another threat along w/ the Young Money crew? Let Redman take some more carries and short yardage/3rd down plays.

steelerdude15
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Agreed, Blast. Mendy is a good receiver and would be nice to make some plays for him. After all, Arians did say the offense goes through Mendy. Why not use him more in the passing game? Establish another threat along w/ the Young Money crew? Let Redman take some more carries and short yardage/3rd down plays.

I agree. Another great thing about Mendy is his ability to break into the open when running to the outside, which is possibly his biggest strength. The Steelers should really look into that too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
:rofl2:

What??? Nance raised a good question of why Arians name is not thrown around for Head Coaching jobs as other O Coordinators are. I think Nance started a good campaign for him.

Good thing that fumbled bubble screen call was whistled dead. It could have cost him some interviews if teams thought ..."why call that play in that situation?".

suitanim
01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
What??? Nance raised a good question of why Arians name is not thrown around for Head Coaching jobs as other O Coordinators are. I think Nance started a good campaign for him.

Good thing that fumbled bubble screen call was whistled dead. It could have cost him some interviews if teams thought ..."why call that play in that situation?".

It's clear that THAT PLAY was what lost us the game.

-Not our make-shift O-line
-Not our gimpy QB who could barely run or pass
-Not our missing starting RB
-Not our missing 3rd down back
-Not a rash of injuries on defense
-Not Ryan Clark being out
-Not our inability to get to the QB
-Not our clear confusion at stopping the option (Harrison was lost several times)
-Not the exceptionally poor play of our corners

Nope. It was one poorly executed play.

Devilsdancefloor
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
This team al year has been sleep walking thru games. Big games they just didnt show up ratbirds twice and 9ers. it was almost like they loked at their schedule and said pfft we got this. then they thought they could turn it on in the playoffs. changes need to happen, but right now i am a bit to pissed to really think about it.

PalmerSteel
01-09-2012, 11:08 AM
top 3 draft picks better be 2 offensive linemen and a corner. if not? then it better be a qb because ben wont be playing too much longer.

steel9guy
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Tomlin just said he anticipates Arians and Lebeau staying.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Well, they better sign a stud kicker since next year will be raining FG's again.

Welcome back to the 60 yard offense.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Well with Lebeau, I imagine he'll need to be "forced" out before he retires on his own. He's at that age where he probably fears retirement and boredom killing him with nothing to do. As for Arians, we'll see, I'm not sure 6 points in the 1st half against Denver is something to be proud of as an O/C. That call may be made by a Rooney, and not Tomlin.

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I know injuries happen, but it would seem like we could use a new strength and conditioning program bc it seems like a trend with these injuries. Ben, Mendy, our entire O line, smith, hoke, hampton, kiesel, harrison, woodley, sepulveda, sanders. Most of those injuries were significant ones to starters. That is a lot to overcome. I dont think we need too much. Look at the teams that are left, they are generally pretty healthy. I know Green Bay won with a ton of injuries last year, but that is not the norm. Plus Rodgers was just unstopable.

mortgageman
01-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I know injuries happen, but it would seem like we could use a new strength and conditioning program bc it seems like a trend with these injuries.  Ben, Mendy, our entire O line, smith, hoke, hampton, kiesel, harrison, woodley, sepulveda, sanders.  Most of those injuries were significant ones to starters.  That is a lot to overcome.  I dont think we need too much.  Look at the teams that are left, they are generally pretty healthy.  I know Green Bay won with a ton of injuries last year, but that is not the norm.  Plus Rodgers was just unstopable. 

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
It's clear that THAT PLAY was what lost us the game.

-Not our make-shift O-line
-Not our gimpy QB who could barely run or pass
-Not our missing starting RB
-Not our missing 3rd down back
-Not a rash of injuries on defense
-Not Ryan Clark being out
-Not our inability to get to the QB
-Not our clear confusion at stopping the option (Harrison was lost several times)
-Not the exceptionally poor play of our corners

Nope. It was one poorly executed play.

I was just thinking that Nance pumped up BA for some coaching vacancies, then it seemed Nance was lobbying for that lateral pass to be called a turnover.

I think if it was ruled a turnover, then it would have magnified the questions of why call that play and throw the ball backwards, when Denver has been all over it the entire game. The fact that the whistle blew may have kept his HC coaching chances alive.

I think after his years of success, this is the season. Its either Miami, St. Louis or the Raiders that recognizes his offensive genius and makes him a HC.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Tomlin was asked if he expected offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau back next season.
He acknowledged the possibility for change, but said "we're going to work to maintain continuity as we always do."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12009/1202407-100.stm#ixzz1izO539AB

suitanim
01-10-2012, 08:57 AM
It's a good thing we have managed this continuity. With this offensive line, we are VERY lucky our offense isn't solidly way down in "Browns Country".

Still, I sorta kinda wish there was a way we could give the Arians haters and detractors what they wanted without hurting the team in the process, but they are mutually exclusive principles. Eventually, Arians will move on or retire, though, and you guys should probably start cutting and pasting your complaints for the next guy....

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Time for Steelers offense to back up talk

Friday, October 07, 2011
By Ron Cook (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday what Steelers Nation has been thinking all week.
"We talked a lot of talk about the offense in training camp. It's time we start backing it up."

An offense that scored 7 points against the Baltimore Ravens, 16 against the Indianapolis Colts and 10 against the Houston Texans isn't what Arians had in mind when he delayed his retirement after the Super Bowl last season at the urging of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180315-87-0.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz1j4SEj8ts

August Optimism turns to january reality. Steeler offensive rankings

Passing Yardage - 10th
Rushing Yardage - 14th
Total Yardage - 12th
# of TD's - 19th
Points scored -21st

katmandu
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I think Arians will get an HC job offer. Jim Nantz just made everybody aware of his greatness during the game yesterday. The secret is now out.Damn it! :toofunny:

katmandu
01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
It's a good thing we have managed this continuity. With this offensive line, Uhmmm..... Continuity is the thing our OL does NOT have and never did this entire season!

We just got lucky because the players we had were able to setup to the plate and deliver (for the most part......).

suitanim
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Time for Steelers offense to back up talk

Friday, October 07, 2011
By Ron Cook (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday what Steelers Nation has been thinking all week.
"We talked a lot of talk about the offense in training camp. It's time we start backing it up."

An offense that scored 7 points against the Baltimore Ravens, 16 against the Indianapolis Colts and 10 against the Houston Texans isn't what Arians had in mind when he delayed his retirement after the Super Bowl last season at the urging of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180315-87-0.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz1j4SEj8ts

August Optimism turns to january reality. Steeler offensive rankings

Passing Yardage - 10th
Rushing Yardage - 14th
Total Yardage - 12th
# of TD's - 19th
Points scored -21st

Precisely. Top 3rd to middle. Thank you for continuing to make my point for me....with what we have up front as an OL, we are VERY lucky to have solid numbers like that, especially in light of the lack of turnovers and terrible field position differential.

katmandu
01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I know injuries happen, but it would seem like we could use a new strength and conditioning program bc it seems like a trend with these injuries.Dude. WTF don't you understand about knee/ankle and other injuries ? Are you seriously suggesting the players that got injured where a direct result of LACK of strength and conditioning ?? PLAAAEEEZZZ !!!

I've seen you call out these injured players as so-called "INJURY PRONE" as well! What BULLSHIT !!

You get twisted knees, ankles and pulled groins and hamstrings as a DIRECT result of ON-THE-FIELD COMBAT !! Shit (accidents) just happen as a result of LUCK ! Nothing else!

"Injury Prone" MY ASS!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Precisely. Top 3rd to middle. Thank you for continuing to make my point for me....with what we have up front as an OL, we are VERY lucky to have solid numbers like that, especially in light of the lack of turnovers and terrible field position differential.

Every season we talk about how great the offense can be with Roethlisberger, his weapons at WR, TE, etc. The talk of how its a passing league and how he can throw the ball around the yard like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, .....this is the year.

Then the reality sets in at the end of December and the offense has been mediocre to slightly above average, but the defense has kept us in the hunt. The problem is that this season, the defense did show that its older, slower and cant stop the run like they used to, nor create turnovers and score.

Again, time for the offense to back up the talk and again all bark and no bite.

mortgageman
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Dude. WTF don't you understand about knee/ankle and other injuries ? Are you seriously suggesting the players that got injured where a direct result of LACK of strength and conditioning ?? PLAAAEEEZZZ !!!

I've seen you call out these injured players as so-called "INJURY PRONE" as well! What BULLSHIT !!

You get twisted knees, ankles and pulled groins and hamstrings as a DIRECT result of ON-THE-FIELD COMBAT !! Shit (accidents) just happen as a result of LUCK ! Nothing else!

"Injury Prone" MY ASS!

So you are saying there is no such thing as injury prone? Is Greg Oden just unlucky? I understand that injuries happen during the course of a season, but it seems that our team has more injuries than most others. I am not a doctor, but I am pretty sure that making sure you prepare your body in the correct way contributes to staying healthy. Some injuries are unavoidable, and i understand that, but count the bodys...

mortgageman
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I seem to hear a ton this offseason of how players were expected to get more injuries as a direct result of lack of training bc of the lockout. Was the bullshit too? That is a direct result of improper preperation to play an entire season.

suitanim
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Uhmmm..... Continuity is the thing our OL does NOT have and never did this entire season!

We just got lucky because the players we had were able to setup to the plate and deliver (for the most part......).

I don't think I've ever had a post of mine taken MORE out of context in the history of 15 years of posting on message boards.

The ONLY thing continuous about this oline was it's suckyness. The continuity came in the form of the same OC running the same offense for several years.

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I seem to hear a ton this offseason of how players were expected to get more injuries as a direct result of lack of training bc of the lockout. Was the bullshit too? That is a direct result of improper preperation to play an entire season.

All the training in the world isn't going to prevent a torn ACL. We were EXTREMELY fortunate on the health/injury front heading into the postseason last year and in 2008, when we made it all the way to the Super Bowl. Not so much in 2007 or this year. Shit happens.

mortgageman
01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
All the training in the world isn't going to prevent a torn ACL. We were EXTREMELY fortunate on the health/injury front heading into the postseason last year and in 2008, when we made it all the way to the Super Bowl. Not so much in 2007 or this year. Shit happens.

I am aware that acl tears cannot be prevented by more/better training. Other injuries can though, like strains and pulls of hamstrings(woodley). I heard every analyst on the freaking TV say after an early season injury that it probably had a lot to do with the lack of offseason. The people saying this were retired players, so i think they know what they are talking about. Having the correct training does contribute to your health.

fansince'76
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I am aware that acl tears cannot be prevented by more/better training. Other injuries can though, like strains and pulls of hamstrings(woodley). I heard every analyst on the freaking TV say after an early season injury that it probably had a lot to do with the lack of offseason. The people saying this were retired players, so i think they know what they are talking about. Having the correct training does contribute to your health.

We've had a lot more unavoidable (and serious) injuries like ACL tears than hammies. Sometimes a team is just snakebit by injuries. That was one of those years for us, IMO.

Steeldude
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM

what is it with you people and your constant need to attack people for their opinions? so he isn't a blind rah-rah fan who only sees roses and super bowls. if you don't like his posts then block him so you don't have to read them. perhaps blastfurnace is a perfectionist.

btw, i have seen many posts from blastfurnace that are considered positive.

BlastFurnace
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
what is it with you people and your constant need to attack people for their opinions? so he isn't a blind rah-rah fan who only sees roses and super bowls. if you don't like his posts then block him so you don't have to read them. perhaps blastfurnace is a perfectionist.

Thank you!

O'Malley
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM

I agree.. This is an opinion based forum is it not?

O'Malley
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
We've had a lot more unavoidable (and serious) injuries like ACL tears than hammies. Sometimes a team is just snakebit by injuries. That was one of those years for us, IMO.

Lock out? They just need to get healthy and stay healthy, also need to trim some fat and get under the cap!

BlastFurnace
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Lock out? They just need to get healthy and stay healthy, also need to trim some fat and get under the cap!

Being 22 million over the cap, there are definitely some guys we have seen for the last time.

Another draft like last year will go a long way to helping transition over.

Edman
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Injuries or not, 2011 was more proof that the Ben & Arians Offense and their big talk came up empty once again. Only this time, the Defense wasn't quite there to save their asses and they can't step up to the plate and the offense is still as mediocre as it's ever been. In Pittsburgh, it's all about Defense and it always has been. This team lives and dies on it's Defense. It showed in XLV, and it showed again in Denver. No Defense, no wins.

Steeldude
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Being 22 million over the cap, there are definitely some guys we have seen for the last time.

Another draft like last year will go a long way to helping transition over.

it would be nice if the steelers could grab another gem for the O-line like they did with pouncey. i am hoping they stay away from grabbing a RB until the later rounds.

steelpride12
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
6 rings, best organization in the NFL, always in or fighting for the playoffs. Elite QB, HOF receiver and safety. Man are our fans spoiled rotten.

st33lersguy
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Arians needs to be fired and we need a semi-competent OC