PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Universe 2012 Mock Draft

LLT
01-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey draftniks.....we have posted the first version of the 2012 Mock Draft. Leave your comments here....tell me what you like...dislike....and tell me why. A well thought out opinion will be reflected in the next version.

-LLT

(I know that some of you are going to be wondering about the Hightower ommision....and I seriously struggled with wether I should put him with the Steelers or Ravens)

fansince'76
01-08-2012, 08:22 AM
You have the Ravens losing the SB to the Packers? :noidea: :chuckle:

LLT
01-08-2012, 10:17 AM
You have the Ravens losing the SB to the Packers? :noidea: :chuckle:

I'm superstitious...hoping that it puts the jinx on them.

Aussie_steeler
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Nice to see a mock up and running Perry.

Looking at the mock you are sure going to have fun adjusting your pick from #29 to #24. I will be interested to see how much that changes your thinking. I would jump all over Kuechly in your scenario.

In regards to the Bengals mock I can see them going OG with the #17 pick ( it appears to be their major weakness), someone like Konz.
Barron would be much better value at the #25 pick. I just dont see him going that high and they can wait on him.

The browns race to the board for Blackmon (two stud corners doesnt make sense $$$ wise). With the 2nd #1 I can see them going D line to beef up that poor run defence.

Ravens are primed to land either Upshaw or Hightower ( and both sound bad to me).

The scary thing is the AFC North is going to have a serious infusion of talent come draft time.

LLT
01-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I think we are starting to see the first inklings of which way we might go in the draft. It appears to me that we may, in fact, move Gilbert to the left side (not sure if he is ready so Starks may be retained....Colon on the right. We are still going to need a LG...ILB (If Foote and Farrior are both released)... and a NT.

If we target these three positions ...here are players we may look at if they are on the board when we pick.

NT
Round 1) Jerel Worthy Or Dontari Poe
Round 2) Josh Chapman
Round 3) Alameda Ta'amu or Hebron Fangupo

ILB
Round 1) Dont'a Hightower
Round 2) Audi Cole
Round 3) James-Michael Johnson

OG
Round 1) Peter Konz (center/guard)
Round 2) Kevin Zeitler
Round 3) Brandon Brooks

The most likely scenerio with those prospects in mind (it seems to me) is

Round 1) ILB Dont'a Hightower
Round 2) OG Kevin Zeitler
Round 3) NT Alameda Ta'amu

What do you all think?

Steeltreal
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I think we are starting to see the first inklings of which way we might go in the draft. It appears to me that we may, in fact, move Gilbert to the left side (not sure if he is ready so Starks may be retained....Colon on the right. We are still going to need a LG...ILB (If Foote and Farrior are both released)... and a NT.

If we target these three positions ...here are players we may look at if they are on the board when we pick.

NT
Round 1) Jerel Worthy Or Dontari Poe
Round 2) Josh Chapman
Round 3) Alameda Ta'amu or Hebron Fangupo

ILB
Round 1) Dont'a Hightower
Round 2) Audi Cole
Round 3) James-Michael Johnson

OG
Round 1) Peter Konz (center/guard)
Round 2) Kevin Zeitler
Round 3) Brandon Brooks

The most likely scenerio with those prospects in mind (it seems to me) is

Round 1) ILB Dont'a Hightower
Round 2) OG Kevin Zeitler
Round 3) NT Alameda Ta'amu

What do you all think?
Konz has more value being able to play two positions. Pounceys injuries might become a bigger problem

LLT
01-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Konz has more value being able to play two positions. Pounceys injuries might become a bigger problem

I actually agree with that....but the drop off for ILB is SO great after Hightower that it might change up our priority list. Simply put...a tandem of Hightower/Zeitler is better than a Tandem of Konz/Cole. All draft boards are set up to maximize the depth at each position.

Gotta say...unless something drastic happens...I may have to go with an ILB on the next mock draft. I dont really want to because I think its a lower priority than OG/NT...but the position depth may demand it.

Bluecoat96
01-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Good point, but I gotta wonder though if Pouncey's injuries were more a case of not having access to the Steelers' trainers because of the lockout to properly rehab the injury. He was a rock up until his ankle was rolled up on in the AFCC game. If he has issues again this year, I'll be a little more worried.

Steeltreal
01-31-2012, 11:44 AM
I know going FA ILB is not the Steelers M.O. but we got Clark when Hope left. Hartwig to upgrade Mahan. This might be the route.

LLT
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I know going FA ILB is not the Steelers M.O. but we got Clark when Hope left. Hartwig to upgrade Mahan. This might be the route.

Hmmmmm....someone like Dan Connor? Possible, but more likely we continue the youth movement and jettison the bigger contracts that even a FA might demand.

LLT
03-19-2012, 03:44 AM
New mock is up...the Flynn signing will force a change but I feel pretty confident with most of the others until Peyton finds a home.

suitanim
03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm hoping for a value ILB FA signing as well. I still think we need to draft with that position in mind, but I'd rather find someone later and groom him.

i also had to chuckle: At the official Steelers website, they have Timmons listed as starting RILB, with Foote as his #2, and Stevenson Sylvester as the starting LILB.

LLT
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Looks like Manning is headed to Denver. Got to think that Miami would give serious consideration into, not only, drafting a QB...but trading for Tebow. The amount of excitement he would generate in Florida would be beyond measure.

Steeltreal
04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice final Mock. Im guessing Hightower will go to SD at 18 and they will use him in a Lamar Woodley type role

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama, 6'3", 266
Hightower has prototypical size for an ILB in a 4-3 system and is versatile enough to line up outside if needed. He has solid strength and is a physical tackler. Hightower will need a year to hone up his coverage skills, but from day one you can bet he has pro ability in regards to clogging the middle. Hightower has a high ceiling and should elevate his play when surrounded by Pittsburgh's elite LB corps.

Guessing you meant ILB for the 3-4?

86WARD
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I like that draft...

There's also been talk that it's not going to be Hightower and that they could possibly move Worilds inside and look for OLB help...

Iron Steeler
04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I like that draft...

There's also been talk that it's not going to be Hightower and that they could possibly move Worilds inside and look for OLB help...

Does worlds have inside experience?

steeldevil
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Not that I know of. He played 4-3 DE in college.

86WARD
04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

I didnt think so...

LLT
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I like that draft...

If Hightower is gone...I know that a lot of Steelers fans are going to be screaming for a NT...I dont think that will be the case. I think we may be looking at OG Zietler. In fact...I'm starting to lean his way.

ShutDown24
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
If Hightower is gone...I know that a lot of Steelers fans are going to be screaming for a NT...I dont think that will be the case. I think we may be looking at OG Zietler. In fact...I'm starting to lean his way.

This is kind of the way I've been leaning the last couple of days as well. I feel like Zeitler has quietly solidified himself in the first round this past week for really no apparent reason. I could see the Steelers selecting him at 24. Which if you had asked me that five days ago, I'm not so sure I would have bought in.