PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward

Tugger
01-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Driving in to work today listening to the Mike & Mike show, they were discussing the importance of Hines Ward reaching the 1000 catch milestone. I have no doubt that this guy will be enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame, but I don't think that he is getting a fair shake these days. I don't see him in every play, but you have to think that this guy is open more than the looks that he is getting. I only hope that when he decides to retire, that he will be the WR coach and mentor to these young guys. We can't lose this type of influence in the locker room to another team. No offense to Scottie, but I just don't want to lose someone who has a lot to show a younger guy. Luckily, we got Lake but we lost Woodson and Greene to other teams. I know that every player can't coach, but I know that I would trust these guys to bring out the best in our players. Again, no offense to the job that Keith has done with the LB's but he's not family... wait I sound like a Penn State guy huh?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I think Ward is going to have a long wait to get into the HOF, similar to how Art Monk had to wait. Sure he got to 1000 catches, but never was the prolific deep threat WR that most would look to double cover on gameday. The SB MVP will help his case.

I can see him retiring this year.

Chidi29
01-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Wait, what? Why are you talking about Keith Butler?

Tugger
01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry, I thought Keith was the LB coach. I was just saying with all of the great LB's to come through our doors, one would have made a great coach.

Chidi29
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry, I thought Keith was the LB coach. I was just saying with all of the great LB's to come through our doors, one would have made a great coach.

He is, I just didn't know what he had to do with Ward.

zulater
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if Hines Ward will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame by the committee that's currently in place? I'm sure he'll be a finalist multiple times, but I believe his eventual induction will come from the Veterans committee. You see guys like Chris Carter, and Tim Brown being ignored year after year, and you wonder what it takes for a receiver to get noticed?

Tugger
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Actually, I think that the votes should be clearly defined. For example, the committee vote should only reflect what the player brought to the game, no stats. The veterans should only consider stats and their place in the football heirarchy, finally, the fans should only have a vote of a select few players, not the entire class. That way a lot of deserving players will get a fairer shot and it may retain some of the integrity of the HoF by keeping out undesirables, IMHO

Chidi29
01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
We've seen what the fans do to the Pro Bowl. I'm not letting them anywhere near the Hall of Fame.

Devilsdancefloor
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
the line for WR to get in the HOF is long and i agree with Zu it will take a vet committee to get him in, plus the stigma of there are already to many steelers in the HOF

tube517
01-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure if Hines Ward will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame by the committee that's currently in place? I'm sure he'll be a finalist multiple times, but I believe his eventual induction will come from the Veterans committee. You see guys like Chris Carter, and Tim Brown being ignored year after year, and you wonder what it takes for a receiver to get noticed?

Add to that, that Ward is a Steeler and some of those jackholes think "There are too many Steelers in the HOF" blah blah blah. He deserves to get in. It's just that the committee now (as Zu said) are being slow to induct WRs.

BTW, I don't know if Carter's "character issues" are keeping him from getting in but it's ridiculous. Brown has the stats but no rings and that is hurting his case. Monk should never have had to wait.

Tugger
01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
We've seen what the fans do to the Pro Bowl. I'm not letting them anywhere near the Hall of Fame.

Good Point LOL!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Add to that, that Ward is a Steeler and some of those jackholes think "There are too many Steelers in the HOF" blah blah blah. He deserves to get in. It's just that the committee now (as Zu said) are being slow to induct WRs.

BTW, I don't know if Carter's "character issues" are keeping him from getting in but it's ridiculous. Brown has the stats but no rings and that is hurting his case. Monk should never have had to wait.

Great points! Carter and Brown are far better receivers than Ward and they are still waiting. Gonna take a while, but 1 MVP, 1000 catches and 2 SB wins might get him in.

zulater
01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
It's also going to hurt Hines that he never led the league in any important statistical category, was never first team All NFL, and was only selected for the Pro Bowl 4 times. Judging him strictly off regular season stats he comes off as a "compiler", like a receiver version of Vinny Testaverde, who's also accumulated great career numbers as a quarterback.

But stats don't tell the story, or at least regular season stats don't. He had more value than the guys who put up the numbers, which can be proven by the fact that the Steelers let guys like Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes go, and kept Ward.

But numbers also help make the case for Ward. Or at least post season numbers do. Hines is the second leading receiver in post season history. And it's not just about the amount of games he's played. His numbers have always increased in post season play. He rises to the occasion when he's needed. Contrast this with guys like Randy Moss who becomes the invisible man in post season play.

Anyway long story short, the selection committee that's composed of 2 NFL writers from each NFL city will probably be too stupid to understand that Ward's overall contribution far exceeded the diva type receivers like T.O. and Randy Moss that usually dominate the year end All Pro teams. But of course always fail miserably when it really mattered, and rarely helped their team in the all important category of wins.

Tugger
01-06-2012, 11:39 AM
IDK, I think that Hines' numbers would be even greater if the ball was thrown 40+ times a game for his entire career.

zulater
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
IDK, I think that Hines' numbers would be even greater if the ball was thrown 40+ times a game for his entire career.

Maybe? But the Steelers wouldn't have been, and that's the whole point of his candidacy from my perspective. Ward didn't piss and moan about an offensive system that not only underutilized his receiving talents, but also asked of him what no other primary receiver has ever been asked of before. That being, asked to block as a second tight end is on most teams. I mean sure receivers on other teams might be asked to get in the way of a cornerback or a safety at times. Maybe some of them even bother to throw a legitimate block now and then. But Hines, besides catching his 80 passes a year, for 1000 yards, also de-cleated linebackers, crushed corners and safeties, and would stand up the occasional DE or DT when called upon. Dude's 200 pounds, and he's got linebackers playing with their head on a swivel, and hearing footsteps instead of pursuing the play properly!

Now throw in that there's never been a player that I've seen who would catch absolutely anything in the middle of the field, no matter who was near him, just get crushed, but somehow, hold onto the ball, usually for the first down, and get up smiling. Usually with the defensive back asking himself how the hell did he just catch that, and not fumble? and he's fucking smiling!?

You can't measure stuff like that, what affect it has in demoralizing an opponent. Hines was a great one. I hope the selection committee proves me wrong and recognizes it as well.

86WARD
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
1000 catches in a "run first" offense for most of his career? Counts for something...

Tugger
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Now throw in that there's never been a player that I've seen who would catch absolutely anything in the middle of the field, no matter who was near him, just get crushed, but somehow, hold onto the ball, usually for the first down, and get up smiling. Usually with the defensive back asking himself how the hell did he just catch that, and not fumble? and he's fucking smiling!?

That's my issue with the whole thing, he is as intimidating as a LB or S with great hands, terrific attitude and an incredible spokesperson for the Steelers. He bought into the Steelers way and I want him to pass that on to the young'uns. And that was a 1000 hard ass catches, he doesn't get many shuffle passes!

The Duke
01-06-2012, 01:42 PM
But numbers also help make the case for Ward. Or at least post season numbers do. Hines is the second leading receiver in post season history. And it's not just about the amount of games he's played. His numbers have always increased in post season play. He rises to the occasion when he's needed. Contrast this with guys like Randy Moss who becomes the invisible man in post season play.

hey you know where I can find those stats? Been wondering for a while what his numbers were because the man has always been gold in playoffs

gotta be over an average season numbers by now (1000+ yards 10 tds or so)

zulater
01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
hey you know where I can find those stats? Been wondering for a while what his numbers were because the man has always been gold in playoffs

gotta be over an average season numbers by now (1000+ yards 10 tds or so)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/history/pdfs/Records/Postseason_Recs_2011.pdf

Scroll down 5 pages and there it is........

PASS RECEIVING
RECEPTIONS
Most Receptions, Career
151 Jerry Rice, San Francisco-Oakland-Seattle, 29 games
88 Hines Ward, Pittsburgh, 17 games
87 Michael Irvin, Dallas, 16 games

Most Games, 100 or More Yards Receiving, Career
8 Jerry Rice, San Francisco-Oakland-Seattle, 29 games
6 Michael Irvin, Dallas, 16 games
5 John Stallworth, Pittsburgh, 18 games
Andre Reed, Buffalo, 21 games
Hines Ward, Pittsburgh, 17 games

TOUCHDOWNS
Most Touchdowns, Career
22 Jerry Rice, San Francisco-Oakland-Seattle, 29 games
12 John Stallworth, Pittsburgh, 18 games
10 Fred Biletnikoff, Oakland, 19 games
Antonio Freeman, Green Bay-Philadelphia-Green Bay, 16 games
Hines Ward, Pittsburgh, 17 games

Most Consecutive Games, Touchdown Passes Caught
8 John Stallworth, Pittsburgh, 1978-1983
7 David Givens, New England, 2003-05)
5 James Lofton, Green Bay-Buffalo, 1982-1990
Randy Moss, Minnesota, 1998-2000
Antonio Freeman, Green Bay, 1997-2001
Hines Ward, Pittsburgh, 2002-05
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona, 2008-09

zulater
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Hines Ward's career post season stats.

GP. 17 GS. 16 Rec. 88 Yds. 1181 Avg. 13.4 TD. 10

BlacknGoldBabe
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Hines Ward's career post season stats.

GP. 17 GS. 16 Rec. 88 Yds. 1181 Avg. 13.4 TD. 10

Well, if they've got to use stats, seems to me that the post season ones are the ones that count MORE....period.

Chidi29
01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
As a quick random aside, Don Hutson is a better WR than Jerry Rice IMO

steel striker
01-07-2012, 04:19 AM
Like Zu said makes no sense why Carter & Brown are not in the HOF and, Hines is going to have to wait a while to get in. The one thing I really like about Hines is the fact he does not complain about not getting the touches. Hines does it all total team player and, when does call it a career I don't think there will be another WR like Hines Ward.

T&B fan
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
as for the HOF hope he in first round . I think he trys TV after its over ( and I think this is the last yr ) but it only works for a few yrs .

zulater
01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
As a quick random aside, Don Hutson is a better WR than Jerry Rice IMO

They were both great, it's hard to say imo. I'd also put Paul Warfield in the discussion as the G.O.A.T. He played in a dead ball era, so his stats don't make him great. But I watched that guy as a kid every week ( lived in Florida 67-71) and he had everything. Hands, size, speed, moves, he could beat double coverage when the db's could beat the receiver up and down the field, and even on the sidelines. In fact I can remember a game where he made the great Mel Blount look like inept beating him for 3 touchdowns.

The WH
01-08-2012, 09:32 AM
If teams want to bitch about there being too many Steelers in the HOF...why don't they STFU and fabricate some players worthy of being there to offset the ratio?

86WARD
01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
If teams want to bitch about there being too many Steelers in the HOF...why don't they STFU and fabricate some players worthy of being there to offset the ratio?

lol. QFT!