PDA

View Full Version : I Wish to Present You (the Steelers) with a Proposition...

SteelersJW
01-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Via my post at http://www.steelersideline.blogspot.com :

Terrible news for Steelers fans came Wednesday on the South Side as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addressed the media in regards to the status of his left ankle. Ben was limited in the team’s Wednesday practice and noticeably favored his right foot as he walked into the training room past media members. Roethlisberger told reports that he had suffered a “setback” early in the third quarter in the Steelers final game against the Cleveland Browns. Despite the reinjury, Ben still took every snap, going 23 for 40 for 221 yards through the air.

The Steelers post-season seems to be hanging on Ben’s ability to play at a high level, something he may not be able to do considering his current injury. Since spraining his ankle on December 8th at home against the Browns, Pittsburgh has only scored two touchdowns in 10 quarters with him playing quarterback. Most of Ben’s drop-off in play has come from his inability to step forward into throws as he normally would. Since the injury, he has completed 56 of 96 passes for 729 yards, with only a single touchdown and four interceptions. His passer rating fell to low 68.4 in that time period.

The Steelers coaching staff made a smart decision by holding Roethlisberger out of Week 16’s game against the St. Louis Rams. Veteran backup quarterback Charlie Batch was efficient in place of Ben, completing 15 of 22 passes for 208 yards against the Rams. While Batch didn’t put up the numbers Roethlisberger normally produces, he did surprise me by showing he’s still able to throw the ball far downfield. He connected with Mike Wallace for a 46-yard pass that setup a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown that put the team up 20-0. As a 37-year old veteran who’s been with the organization since 2002, few know the Steelers offense better than Batch. Batch’s victory over the Rams puts him at 5-2 as a spot starter in the seven seasons he’s been here.

Now, here is a proposition to consider:

With a Wild-Card matchup against the Denver Broncos (8-8) in which Pittsburgh has been an early nine-point favorite, should the Steelers consider starting Batch over the injured Ben Roethlisberger?

Allow me to make my case:

Roethlisberger’s passing ability has fallen drastically since suffering his injury. His passer rating, which had been at 93.6 for the season heading into Dec. 8th’s game against Cleveland fell to 62.7 for the final two games he started. With an injured left ankle, Ben is considerably less-efficient as a passer, which will show against the Broncos if he starts on Sunday.

The Bronco’s have a formidable pass rush, led by Elvis Dumervil and rookie Von Miller as their two bookend linebackers. The duo had 21 sacks between the two of them and Miller is a strong candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Should the Steelers really risk Ben’s ankle against such a strong pass rush?

Rashard Mendenhall’s season-ending ACL injury makes matters worse. Isaac Redman is the only back left on the roster who can be relied on to carry the load and more importantly, handle the pass-rush. With Mendenhall out, the option to implement a run-first offense against the Broncos is out of the picture, as Redman’s two late fumbles clearly showed. Either Roethlisberger or Batch will have to air it up on Sunday.

When asked by reporters to rate how his ankle feels on a scale of 1-10, Ben answered ’5.’ Is there really that big of a drop-off from Roethlisberger to Batch that you would take a 50% Ben over a 100% Charlie Batch? Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says he isn’t concerned, since there’s a lot of work that can be done with his ankle before Sunday. Hasn’t he had enough time since the injury occurred? Will his ankle miraculously be healed in the next three days? Give me a break…

At 8-8 and barely the winners of the AFC West, the Denver Broncos seem hardly threatening as a Playoff opponent. Much stronger foes in Baltimore and New England lie ahead in the next two rounds. Pittsburgh will be best off letting Charlie Batch handle the Broncos and allowing Roethlisberger more time to heal.

Tugger
01-06-2012, 07:33 AM
I think that Batch is a more than capable back-up and the Steelers should be ashamed of themselves for not having any faith. Ben's escapability alone makes the decision an easy one. There's not many teams in the NFL that have a second string QB as good as ours and when Byron is healthy a third string. Use Batch and if the game becomes unmanageable, i.e. down by 3 in the 4th, let Ben lose. But, with Ben's inaccuracy and the potential to hobble him more with a possible rematch with Baltimore looming, it makes sense to give him a well deserved rest.

Moose
01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
This is kind of useless to reply to, the answer to Ben's ankle and playing time lies in your case #4-
•When asked by reporters to rate how his ankle feels on a scale of 1-10, Ben answered ’5.’ Is there really that big of a drop-off from Roethlisberger to Batch that you would take a 50% Ben over a 100% Charlie Batch? Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says he isn’t concerned, since there’s a lot of work that can be done with his ankle before Sunday. Hasn’t he had enough time since the injury occurred? Will his ankle miraculously be healed in the next three days? Give me a break…

I didn't really agree with playing Ben in Cleveland, and as you saw, Tomlin didn't give a crap what I thought ! LOL In short, if Ben wants to play....he'll play.

fansince'76
01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib

Ben limping through locker room. Incidentally right past espn crew

10:33 AM - 4 Jan 12

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib/statuses/154616574140100608

Ben starts.

vader29
01-06-2012, 08:31 AM
They have to go with what they think is their best chance to win, if they think a 50% Ben is better than a 100% Charlie then they have to go with it. Whoever they think will give them the best chance to win this week is all that matters now, there is no more resting players for next week as if you lose you won't be playing next week.

suitanim
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I'd have rested him last week, too...

The WH
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Ben limping right by the ESPN crew?

.....a part of me is starting to think this is all a fabrication and Ben comes out and throws for 400 yards.

Moose
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Damn WH - I like your thinking ! If only.......

XxKnightxX
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib/statuses/154616574140100608

Ben starts.

https://my.psychologytoday.com/files/u798/favre%20queen.jpg

steelreserve
01-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Since they've said starting Batch is not going to happen, sounds like Ben's playing regardless.

In hindsight, I wish they would've rested him last week, but oh well. That bye sure would have been nice.

Texasteel
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Ben limping right by the ESPN crew?

.....a part of me is starting to think this is all a fabrication and Ben comes out and throws for 400 yards.

I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing. Bens foot could be broken off and he would still say that he was better than 80%, and him limping openly in front of the media.

I have a feeling someone is being lead into the rose garden only to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well you know.

SMR
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
I think that Batch is a more than capable back-up and the Steelers should be ashamed of themselves for not having any faith. Ben's escapability alone makes the decision an easy one. There's not many teams in the NFL that have a second string QB as good as ours and when Byron is healthy a third string. Use Batch and if the game becomes unmanageable, i.e. down by 3 in the 4th, let Ben lose. But, with Ben's inaccuracy and the potential to hobble him more with a possible rematch with Baltimore looming, it makes sense to give him a well deserved rest.

I agree completely. Rest Ben. Give Batch more credit that he DESERVES!!!!