PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Smith can only watch, wonder

stillers4me
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
After a strenuous workout in the weight room, Aaron Smith looked like he's ready to help the Steelers out in Denver on Sunday. He may be 35, but he's in excellent shape right now.

Unfortunately, he knows he may never play again.

For the third straight year, major injuries that required corrective surgery have shut Smith down.

In 2009, his season ended after five games due to a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.

In 2010, he played six games before suffering a torn triceps.

This year, he played only four games before a neck injury put him on injured reserve........

Read more @ http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-smith-can-only-watch-wonder/article_5243011d-8c3b-5a84-a302-28a28eaf07d0.html

steelreserve
01-06-2012, 12:05 AM
You know, for the vet minimum ... :chuckle:

... oh. wait.

steelerdude15
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Its unfortunate that he has been hurt so much. I'd like to see him retire with at least one more ring.

Austin87
01-06-2012, 02:32 AM
He shouldn't have been the starter this season, Ziggy should have been the starter in the beginning of the seaosn. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Smith as a backup next season.

XxKnightxX
01-06-2012, 04:29 AM
He shouldn't have been the starter this season, Ziggy should have been the starter in the beginning of the seaosn. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Smith as a backup next season.

Agreed 100 Percent, restructure his contract and keep him as a backup, Ill never forget the Colts game how he was getting bulldozed into Timmons by a weak Colts O line.

zulater
01-06-2012, 05:39 AM
A neck injury ended his season in October, but Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith isn't necessarily ready to call it a career.

"I drive down the road and fantasize about playing," Smith said Thursday before working out at the Steelers' practice facility. "Even when I'm done playing, I think I'll still fantasize about competing. I watch games now and think what I would do in that situation."

Smith, one of the best 3-4 defensive ends of his era, said he will decide after the season whether to try to return in 2012.

Smith, 35, said the Steelers likely will have to tell him — or strongly hint — that he is finished before he is ready to move on. One thing Smith said he won't do: Wear colors other than black and gold.

"That would just be ... ugly, wouldn't it?" Smith said. "It would ruin it."

Read more: Steelers veteran defensive end Smith not quite finished - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_775283.html#ixzz1ig3Mcgm7

zulater
01-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Smith unsure of future

Smith, at 282 pounds, 20 off his playing weight, spent some time in the locker room Thursday as he steps up his workout routine, although he is not sure if he will try to return to play or to retire.

Smith turns 36 in April and should have his decision by then. His 13th season was cut short again after four games because of a neck injury that required surgery in November. He said doctors gave him the green light to play football again, but he will talk it over with the Steelers and his family in a few months.

One thing he won't do is play or live elsewhere.

"Go someplace else? That would just change the whole idea of being a Steeler," Smith said. "I live here. This is my home. Even when I'm done, this will be my home. I love this town. I love the people and the city. All my kids have been born here. The church is here, the school is here. All their friends are here. I've been here really all my adult life."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201672-66-0.stm#ixzz1ig3fdtIk

How can you not love this guy?

zulater
01-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Agreed 100 Percent, restructure his contract and keep him as a backup, Ill never forget the Colts game how he was getting bulldozed into Timmons by a weak Colts O line.

Part of that may have been due to his neck though. Apparently the neck injury was nagging at him before he went down with the knee. In fact he wasn't even aware how bad off he was with the neck until getting away from the game for awhile, and it was still hurting him. In other words he was lucky to injure his knee, otherwise he could have sustained a hit that put him out on a stretcher, such was the state of his neck at the time.

So I wouldn't necessarily judge him off those early games this year. If he does come back I think he'll probably be better than he was early this season, but not as great as he was in 2008.

BlastFurnace
01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Smith is one of my all time favorites and the best 3-4 DE this team has ever had.

But...it's time to move on and the Steelers need to continue to get younger.

It would be one thing if he had shown he still was effective before the injury, but he wasn't. I bet Aaron retires.