PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben?

mortgageman
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but will his ankle improve at all the rest of the year? We cannot beat Bmore or the Pats with him as injured as he was last week. If we get past the Broncos, that will be two more weeks since the Browns game. What does everyone think?

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Yep, we can beat any team left in the tourney with a hurt Ben as long as he plays within his ability and doesn't try to force balls into spots he shouldn't.

With our Defense and our Skill Receivers able to score from anywhere on the field, I like our chances.

fansince'76
01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
IMO, he looked much better against the Browns in the final game. A lot of passes sailed more due to the wind than anything else. However, I don't think his ankle will fully heal until the offseason when he can fully rest it, unfortunately. This is also a big reason, along with all the other injuries, as to why I don't think we'll make it past the divisional round.

mortgageman
01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
He needs to be able to extend plays. There was one play in particular in the Browns game where he broke the pocket and didnt have enough confidence in his ankle to run for the first down. Instead he threw across his body to Cotchery for an incomplete pass. Those are the types of plays he needs to make with his feet in the payoffs that seperates him from some of the other QBs.

fansince'76
01-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Keeps getting better and better...

@EdBouchette (https://twitter.com/#%21/EdBouchette) Ed Bouchette
#steelers (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23steelers) ben had setback with ankle in cleveland he just said

mortgageman
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I think Tomlin played this injury wrong. He should not have played in either game he played in. Especially not the Cleveland game. He would've been close to 100% for the playoffs had he sat out that game. That setback will not cost us this game, but will the following one. The only position where we are much better that Bmore is at QB, but with an injured Ben, we probably cannot beat them.

polamalubeast
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger says ankle a '5' prepping for Broncos

Speaking today during a teleconference with Denver media, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger​ said his ankle feels like a '5' on a scale of 1-10.

Roethlisberger suffered a high-ankle sprain Dec. 8 during the first half of a home game against Cleveland. He hobbled through the second half of that game and played the next week against San Francisco, but sat out the Dec. 24 game against St. Louis.

Roethlisberger completed 23-of-40 passes for 221 yards last weekend at Cleveland. Pittsburgh plays at AFC West champ Denver on Sunday in an wild-card playoff game.

The ankle feels "awesome," Roethlisberger said on the teleconference, apparently with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Read more: Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger says ankle a '5' prepping for Broncos - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19672932#ixzz1iW463yjR
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

fansince'76
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I think Tomlin played this injury wrong. He should not have played in either game he played in.

Respectfully disagree. Sitting and getting rusty wouldn't have done him any good either. I also think it's debatable how much benefit would have been gained from 2 weeks' rest when it takes a good month and a half or more to fully recuperate from that injury. Crappy situation all around.

mortgageman
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
It takes a RB 4-6 weeks to come back, not a QB. He got hurt on the 8th of December. Had he sat out those 2 games, the ankle would be 80-100% for the Denver game. An 80-100% ben can go into Bmore or New England and win. A 50% ben cannot win at home against those teams.

fansince'76
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
It takes a RB 4-6 weeks to come back, not a QB. He got hurt on the 8th of December. Had he sat out those 2 games, the ankle would be 80-100% for the Denver game. An 80-100% ben can go into Bmore or New England and win. A 50% ben cannot win at home against those teams.

He's a QB whose mobility is his bread and butter, so that makes a difference. And coming in after several weeks' layoff into a playoff atmosphere on the road is a dicey proposition. And there's no telling how healthy he would have ultimately been either with any real certainty. He could've laid up, gone into Denver, taken a shot from Miller or Dumervil during our first offensive series and be right back to where he was before the layoff, if not worse.

86WARD
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I read that Ben keeps limping past the TV reporters, specifically ESPN...lol.

mortgageman
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
neither option is optimal, but I wouldve chosen a slightly rusty Ben at 80% than a 50% healthy Ben that played the previous week. He came in last year after his suspension and looked pretty good. And that was after he couldnt even practice with the team. Again, I dont think either option is what we ultimately would want, but I would take the option of a more healthy Ben with a little rust. I do not think his mobility will be needed this week, so hopefully he suffers no setbacks and can be around 80% for the next game.

steelreserve
01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
It basically boils down to: Ben is not likely to be fully healthy until about the Super Bowl, so in order to get there we need the defense to carry us and Ben to be able to fake it well enough that we get by. What will probably most decide whether we win or lose is whether we get TOUCHDOWNS on most of our trips to the red zone. We still get there a few times a game even with a gimpy Ben. If we convert three or four of them into touchdowns, we probably win 28-20. If we convert one of them, we probably lose 20-10.

(Note: I mean against any team other than Denver, who will be lucky to score 6 points against us)

GBMelBlount
01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
neither option is optimal, but I wouldve chosen a slightly rusty Ben at 80% than a 50% healthy Ben that played the previous week.

^^ This.

Ben being healthy for the playoffs was THE the most important thing.

I am still shocked by their decision to play him so much after locking up a playoff spot.

At this point (assuming he truly is only 50%) you could almost make an argument for playing batch against Denver.

ShoeHorn
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
At this point (assuming he truly is only 50%) you could almost make an argument for playing batch against Denver.[/QUOTE]

^^

I bet a lot of Steeler fans are saying this, only afraid to say it

Crow-Magnon
01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
It's got to be a real bitch being an NFL head coach. Think about all the scenarios Tomlin was running through his head.

Sit Ben, maybe lose, and watch the Ravens lose in Cincinnati and there goes our AFCN championship and a first round bye.

Sit Ben, Batch wins, Ravens win and we are #5 seed in WC but Ben rests a week.

Play Ben, win at Cleveland, Ravens lose, Ben gets a week off as we get a bye along with a AFCN title.

Play Ben, lose at Cleveland, Ravens win or lose, still take AFCN crown and Ben gets no rest for WC game.

There's still probably three or four more. And be honest: had Ben sat and the Steelers had lost to the Browns, and had the Ravens lost to the Bengals, your average Steelers fan would be cussing like a drunken sailor over Tomlin's boneheaded decision that cost Pittsburgh the division. I think Tomlin thought that while there was still a chance to win the AFCN and get a first-round bye, Roethlisberger at QB was the best choice to get that W in Cleveland. It may cost Pittsburgh in Denver (unlikely) or in Baltimore or New England (likelier), but I can't fault the decision. I like Tomlin. He's Old School.

suitanim
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I think he said he was at 40% for the Niners. 60% for the Browns. For what that is worth...

stillers4me
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ben gets rusty after one game. We've seen it happen over and over through the years. I don't think there was much choice.

Crow-Magnon
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Ben gets rusty after one game. We've seen it happen over and over through the years. I don't think there was much choice.

How often do the Steelers win in Week One of the season, or after a bye, with Roethlisberger at QB? I don't think "rusty" was a concern. I think it all boiled down to if the Ravens lost to Cincinnati and a Steelers W in Cleveland gave them the division and a bye, did Tomlin want Ben, or Batch, behind center?

BlastFurnace
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
He looked to be moving around pretty good all game.

I just hope that if the Steelers jump out to a big lead in this game that Tomlin pulls him. I know it's a big "if" though.

Polamalu Princess
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, I heard on the news today that the last game did set him back, but I feel 100% he will be okay to play this weekend. I have the faith.

Craic
01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
He looked to be moving around pretty good all game.

I just hope that if the Steelers jump out to a big lead in this game that Tomlin pulls him. I know it's a big "if" though.

There ain't no way. With our defense's proclivity for giving up drives in the fourth quarter, I would want to see us up by 25 points or more with five minutes left before we sit him.

SteelGhost
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
If Ben had played only ONE half against the Brownies, he'd be healthier IMHO

GBMelBlount
01-04-2012, 08:48 PM
There ain't no way. With our defense's proclivity for giving up drives in the fourth quarter, I would want to see us up by 25 points or more with five minutes left before we sit him.

Do you really think he is that much more effective than Batch when hobbled to this degree?