PDA

View Full Version : Bengals or Texans on Saturday?

zulater
01-03-2012, 08:11 AM
As Steeler fans who do we root for on Saturday, the Texans or the Bengals? Bengals win puts us in Baltimore if we advance, Texans win and we go to New England. I suppose if you want to take the long term view, if the Bengals can win two games you would have the chance of hosting the AFC title game. But I don't know if the 5 has ever hosted the 6 in a conference championship, so that's probably not even worth considering?

Now before someone jumps on me and says we need to worry about the Broncos first. Keep in mind the Bengals and Texans play the day before the Steelers do, so what the hell, are we supposed to do, just look on passively, or take an active interest and choose a side?

Personally I'm hoping the Bengals win for the simple reason that will give Keenan Lewis and or Cortez Allen an additional week to get healthy. We've beat Flacco and the Ravens with McFadden in the past, so if we can stop ourselves from turning the ball over I think we can beat them with our secondary a little depleted.

fansince'76
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
If the Steelers advance, I'd rather face NE. I want Ben's career to be able to continue after this postseason. I want no part of Baltimore's defense, and particularly Suggs with Ben being less than 100% mobile.

zulater
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
If the Steelers advance, I'd rather face NE. I want Ben's career to continue after this postseason. I want no part of Baltimore's defense, and particularly Suggs with Ben being less than 100% mobile.

I know we were awful in the opener, but we have beat the Ravens in Baltimore with an equally crappy line in the past. We just got ambushed in the opener by a team that was hungrier. I think if we can get Ben to focus on not turning the ball over the Ravens will eventually beat themselves as they always do against us when it really matters.

fansince'76
01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I know we were awful in the opener, but we have beat the Ravens in Baltimore with an equally crappy line in the past. We just got ambushed in the opener by a team that was hungrier. I think if we can get Ben to focus on not turning the ball over the Ravens will eventually beat themselves as they always do against us when it really matters.

I'm thinking more of Suggs' history of tearing our OL a new one every time we face him. He seems to beat everyone we put on him with alarming regularity. Ben's going to be a sitting duck back there the way things are now.

zulater
01-03-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm thinking more of Suggs' history of tearing our OL a new one every time we face him. He seems to beat everyone we put on him with alarming regularity. Ben's going to be a sitting duck back there the way things are now.

I understand, but Ben's a big game player, and Flacco is not. So somehow, someway I think we'll prevail.

PalmerSteel
01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
i normally look for an edge in certain matchups or the others, but in this case the pros and cons for both are so close IMO it is truly a complete tossup to me. slight edge possible going to playing NE next week IF we win since we know cincy is capable of beating bal then bring it back to pitt? one can always wish i guess.

suitanim
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't really care either way, since we can and will beat both of them if there was any opportunity to. With Shaub, no contest, the Texans win. With Delhomme (who is only nominally better than TJ Yates, who was terrible), it's a toss-up.

steelerdude15
01-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Last time we played the Ravens, Max shut down Suggs. The only thing he did the last time we played was the interception. By the way, I want the Bengals to lose, go Texans.

The Duke
01-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Last game, Suggs was pretty much held in check IIRC. That interception though, as lucky as it was, was a killer

I'll be rooting for the texans. If we have to play them at some point have no doubt we can beat Yates, and take revenge for that humiliating early season loss

st33lersguy
01-03-2012, 10:57 AM
New England's defense is atrocious while Flacco seems to play above his abilities only when he plays the Steelers

polamalubeast
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I want to beat the Ravens in their house!

steelpride12
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Eh to be honest with our defensive change up we made against the Pats we CAN beat them again. I'd rather play their horrid ranked defense and DL than watch Ben get eaten alive by Suggs and the Ravens D. Sure we all know Brady can and will eat our secondary alive and we know we can beat Baltimore, but I want the toughest road on our way to Ring #7 and beating NE twice in one season would be a great damn start.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I Care Not!

I only care about OUR Game and nothing else matters...at all.

steelerdude15
01-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I want to beat the Ravens in their house!
That would be amazing.

JayC
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
ravens. i want the opportunity to get that taste our of my mouth of getting owned 3 times by the harbaughs.

Austin87
01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I want to play the Ravens. My favorite match-up in the NFL.

GodfatherofSoul
01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Perfect Superbowl run is through NE and Baltimore, in whatever order.

polamalubeast
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
destroy Tebow
Beat the Ravens in their house
Beat the Patriots in their house
Beat the packers in super bowl

it would be unbelievable

tube517
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Doesn't matter. The playoffs will offer surprises as usual and I'll just sit and wait.

XxKnightxX
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

He beats everything, Hes been playing like a beast this season. I know I hate the Ravens , but I gotta give them a nod for winning the games they need to win to avoid a collapse. (second game vs Steelers, Vs Cincy to avoid losing division and home game)

fansince'76
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
He beats everything, Hes been playing like a beast this season.

True, but he really seems to turn it up a notch against us, though.

XxKnightxX
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
True, but he really seems to turn it up a notch against us, though.

Yeah, that Pick from that beloved Bubble Screen turned the tide of the game. Anyway, The way I see things, I think the Bengals can beat the Texans, and actually have a shot of beating NE. The way with us, lets see if we get Past the Broncos , all signs seem to point that well be in Baltimore next sunday if we handle our business and win.

zulater
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Last time we played the Ravens, Max shut down Suggs. The only thing he did the last time we played was the interception. By the way, I want the Bengals to lose, go Texans.

But Max stinks, ( according to Chidi) so that can't be so! :wink02:

zulater
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
There's part of me that wants the Bengals to win strictly from the standpoint that it would put 3 AFC North teams in the divisional final round. I'm not sure why, but coming from the "toughest neighborhood", so to speak, seems to have some macho value to me. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I think the Bengals have a better than even shot at the Texans. TJ Yates will be in tough to beat Dalton. Cincy's defense is no slouch.

Crow-Magnon
01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I think the Bengals are going to beat the Texans. If Schaub was behind center I'd say Houston wins, but I think Cincinnati is going to leave Texas with a W and head to Foxboro.

steel striker
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Id rather play the cheats first before Ben has to hobble & run for his life. I know the last game against the ravens Starks did a great job but, like Fan76 said Suggs always plays well in the playoffs against us. I still think we can beat the cheats by playing man and, keeping Marsha on the bench.

HollywoodSteel
01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I think we root for the Bengals. If the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl they are more than likely going to have to beat both the Ravens and the Patriots. As Zu already pointed out, it's better to play the Pats last to give our injured corners the most time to heal so that we can play press man against them.

The other reason to root for the Bengals is that there is a very slim chance the Bengals could beat the Patriots, but there is zero chance the Texans could beat the Ravens in Baltimore. Just for that outside chance of playing the championship game in Pittsburgh, I'll root for the Bengals.

tube517
01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I think we root for the Bengals. If the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl they are more than likely going to have to beat both the Ravens and the Patriots. As Zu already pointed out, it's better to play the Pats last to give our injured corners the most time to heal so that we can play press man against them.

The other reason to root for the Bengals is that there is a very slim chance the Bengals could beat the Patriots, but there is zero chance the Texans could beat the Ravens in Baltimore. Just for that outside chance of playing the championship game in Pittsburgh, I'll root for the Bengals.

I thought about a Bengals vs Pats* matchup and they have a shot although very slim. Pats have no defense and Howdy Doody Dalton is a solid QB but he is a rookie. If they beat the Texans, I will watch that game.

shutdown
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I want Baltimore.

steelreserve
01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Since we probably have to play both the Ravens and Patriots to make it to the Super Bowl, I'd rather go to New England first, BEFORE we get all beat up playing Baltimore. That would also give Ben more time to get fully recovered for the Ravens, where he'll need his mobility and tackle-breaking a lot more.

Also, I don't think there's any way in hell Cincinnati knocks off New England if they play, but there's some chance Houston would beat Baltimore. I'd much rather see that.

Not that any of this matters. Houston may be limping into the playoffs, but Cincinnati just does not belong in this company. They're 0-7 against playoff teams this year, and most of their wins came against teams that were just pathetic. They already lost to the Texans without Schaub. It was close, but it was at home too.

zulater
01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Good point.

86WARD
01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I need a Saturday Night Game...lol. Texans.

Lambert_Loonie
01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I'll have to repeat what I said in the week 17 thread.

Sorry guys, but there isn't a realistic circumstance on Earth in which I could ever, EVER root for the Bungles. I'd rather take my chances with the #5 seed and Shitsinnati miss the Playoffs alltogether than get the #2 seed and the Bungles get the #6 seed. I know it sounds asinine and counter-productive to most of you, but you don't live where I live. Honestly, the Bengals are the only team in professional sports I outright hate. Their fanbase makes me sick. You know their response to the "6 rings" arguement? "So what? The past doesn't matter." Or, and I get this a lot, "C'mon, you gotta support your hometown team!" What year is this, 1935?! Sorry to rant but these people make me ill, and not much else in life brings me the joy of seeing their sad fanbase in misery.

suitanim
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Just to clarify, I'm not sure who is starting for Houston. I thought it was a no-brainer that Delhomme would get the nod, since Yates sucks and has zero playoff experience, while Delhomme looked pretty good coming in off the bench, but who knows?

Moose
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Pretty damn simple for me.....I'm rooting for the Texans. I hate the bungholes and I'm already fed up with the week so far of the bungholes being in the playoffs. The obnoxious fans are morons. As far as the 'wanting to beat the ratbirds', I could care less.....we'll play them twice next year ! And hopefully we will take care of business when we need to, and not have to hope for another team to put us in the playoffs. So, I'm taking 1 game at a time. Let's beat the Bronco's. And I'm hoping for the Texans to win in a blow out.

one side only
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm rooting for the Texans. I'd rather see the Steelers face the Patriots before the Ravens. Who knows what might happen in a Texans - Ravens match up? Flacco might screw the pooch and the Texans might pull off an upset.

I'm not confident the Steelers can beat either team, unless the offense wakes up.