PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen injuries

stillers4me
01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Per Steelers Depot: Lewis with hamstring, Allen with separated shoulder.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/report-keenan-lewis-injured-hamstring-cortez-allen-separated-shoulder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29&utm_content=FaceBook

st33lersguy
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
That is not good, we are in trouble if McFadden recieves any significant playing time

steelreserve
01-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Thankfully, DBs don't run with their shoulders. Hopefully at least Allen will be able to go, if not by the Denver game, the week after.

Lewis doesn't sound so good. That's a notoriously fickle injury but I rarely hear of guys getting back to 100% from a hamstring in less than a month.

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm telling you guys that McFadden will do fine in a pinch. He had one "bad" game against Baltimore, which wasn't even bad, and everyone wrote him off.

steelpride12
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't know why everyone hates Mcfadden. He won't be getting the playing time like Ike would, sheesh give him some confidence.

Steeldude
01-03-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm telling you guys that McFadden will do fine in a pinch. He had one "bad" game against Baltimore, which wasn't even bad, and everyone wrote him off.

one bad game? the guy has been barely average to poor his entire career(in terms of pass coverage). this is why i was so shocked when fans were jumping for joy when he was re-signed.

Steeldude
01-03-2012, 05:24 AM
I don't know why everyone hates Mcfadden.

past results/history.

zulater
01-03-2012, 05:40 AM

He looked bad against the Browns in limited action as well. Just because Seneca Wallace couldn't hit an open receiver doesn't mean McFadden did his job.

zulater
01-03-2012, 05:48 AM
We can probably beat Denver without Lewis or Allen. There's even a slight chance we can beat the Ravens without them. But there's not a shot in hell we can beat the Patriots if they are both no go's against them! Or put it this way, we could beat them, but you'd be looking at a shootout scenario, and even as bad as the Patriots defense can be, I don't like our chances in Gillete if we have to score in the upper 30's to win. Both Lewis and Allen played a critical role in keeping the Patriots receivers in check this year. Without our nickle and dime defensive back I'm afraid it will look like 2010 against them again, where Brady ripped us a new one.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 06:56 AM
He looked bad against the Browns in limited action as well. Just because Seneca Wallace couldn't hit an open receiver doesn't mean McFadden did his job.

I'm not sure what plays he looked bad in. In the one catch he allowed, he simply slipped on a crappy field. Not his fault.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 06:58 AM
one bad game? the guy has been barely average to poor his entire career(in terms of pass coverage). this is why i was so shocked when fans were jumping for joy when he was re-signed.

Sure, he's no shutdown guy but has always fit what LeBeau has wanted in a corner. Physical, willing to play the run, and a solid tackler.

A lot of his "bad plays" could be a product of zone coverage too. I know that happened Week 1 against Baltimore.

zulater
01-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Sure, he's no shutdown guy but has always fit what LeBeau has wanted in a corner. Physical, willing to play the run, and a solid tackler.

A lot of his "bad plays" could be a product of zone coverage too. I know that happened Week 1 against Baltimore.

So why did he get demoted to afterthought with everyone healthy if his game was so good? If no one gets hurt, he's what like 6th on the depth chart?

Hey I hope you're right, and McFadden gets the job done. But I don't really have a lot of confidence when we have to face an elite passing team that he can.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 07:26 AM
So why did he get demoted to afterthought with everyone healthy if his game was so good? If no one gets hurt, he's what like 6th on the depth chart?

Hey I hope you're right, and McFadden gets the job done. But I don't really have a lot of confidence when we have to face an elite passing team that he can.

Guys like Cortez and Keenan did really good jobs this year. There was no reason to make a change after McFadden got healthy (which took awhile and he was out several weeks for IIRC).

zulater
01-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Guys like Cortez and Keenan did really good jobs this year. There was no reason to make a change after McFadden got healthy (which took awhile and he was out several weeks for IIRC).

All I know is that for some reason LeBeau was always reluctant to go to press coverage in previous years against the Patriots, and teams like them. ( Packers, Saints) In my opinion LeBeau wasn't stupid all those years before, he just knew he didn't have anyone but Ike who could play press coverage with any degree of competent's. This combined with the fact that he had no sense of urgency getting McFadden back on the field after he returned to health suggest to me that McFadden isn't all that good in coverage.

The good news is that McFadden's always been strong in run support, so hopefully we can slog through the Broncos anyway.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
McFadden isn't that great in coverage, no, but you can hide some of his defiencies in zone coverage. For a corner in this scheme, he does everything else well.

zulater
01-03-2012, 08:01 AM
McFadden isn't that great in coverage, no, but you can hide some of his defiencies in zone coverage. For a corner in this scheme, he does everything else well.

Trouble is Tom Brady, and if we're lucky enough to advance, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers eat zone defense's for lunch. Though we've had success in the past with our normal zone against Flacco, so I suppose we could do ok there?

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Trouble is Tom Brady, and if we're lucky enough to advance, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers eat zone defense's for lunch. Though we've had success in the past with our normal zone against Flacco, so I suppose we could do ok there?

I've been debating back and forth that when we go nickel/dime if we'll play more zone or man. Tough to play man against 3x1 formations but at the same time, you'll get carved up against zone because of all the options that are out there for the QB. What do you think?

If we play Flacco, we'll barely even need McFadden. The reason why Cortez Allen's snap count was so down because we stopped facing teams like New England. They didn't have a bunch of weapons and wouldn't spread you out.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Although I do agree that we really need to have Cortez should we play against New England. Because I don't think McFadden would cut it because of Cortez's coverage on Gronk.

But for Denver this week or really any other team in the AFC, I'm not concerned.

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Zu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know NFL Rewind has Coaches Film, the all 22 camera angle, for select big-plays.

This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

The Duke
01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
One thing BMac can certainly help against denver is stopping the run (especially considering Clark is like 99% likely to not play), where he has always excelled. I love Keenan's play, but against the run he's still miles behind McFadden, and I believe it's at least one of the reasons our run D has taken a dip this year

Still I hope both him and Cortez are back for the divisional round, can't see us getting past New England or even the ravens' tight ends without them

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Should be fine this weekend against Tebow and the Broncos. I really think we can go with Taylor, Gay, McFadden, Madison this weekend and be fine. Maybe Antonio Brown or Manny Sanders gets some reps at DB for emergency.

steelerdude15
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Tomlin's conference right now:
Mendy- out
Ryan Clark- out, Mundy starting in his place
Woodley- "back in action" his own words
Legursky- "back in action"
Ben- fine
Mewelde- "we'll see what happens this week"
Cortez- questionable

Chidi29
01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Mendy- out
Ben- fine
Cortez- questionable

Tomlin called both Cortez and Moore "questionable at best". So it sounds pretty unlikely at this point. Especially for a young guy like Allen who needs practice reps.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Mendy- out
Ben- fine
Cortez- questionable
Did he say anything about Lewis?

You would think that 7 DB's is enough for this week, but not if any more get injured.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I saw on Steelers depot presser report that Keenan Lewis is expected to practice this week and play. I am fine with Taylor, Gay, Lewis, McFadden, Madison, Troy, Mundy and Allen in the secondary vs Tebow and his weapons.