PDA

View Full Version : Rocky finish: Key injury mars not-so-grand season finale for Steelers

Galax Steeler
01-02-2012, 06:18 AM
CLEVELAND -- The Steelers won the battle but lost the holiday bauble that would have brought them a gift of a first-round postseason bye and a home game.

Instead, they will open their playoffs at 4:30 p.m. Sunday as a wild-card team in Denver at Sports Authority Field against the Broncos, the AFC West Division champions, and hope to follow the same path they did in 2005 by winning four in a row to claim a seventh Super Bowl championship.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12002/1200801-66.stm#ixzz1iIpCQXKg

zulater
01-02-2012, 06:45 AM
The injury no one is talking about is the one that worries me the most going forward. Don't get me wrong I'm bummed about losing Mendy. After a slow start this season I think he really came on and played well. I know stat wise he didn't have his best season, but in my opinion he was getting everything there was to be had with almost all of his runs going back to about the season's 5th game. But that said I'm confident that Redman can get the job done with little or no falloff. I'm not going to make too big of deal about his fumbles yesterday. For one thing, those were his only fumbles this season. For the second thing, you can tell he took it to heart afterwards, and I'm positive he'll be more focused on ball security going forward, and I don't anticipate a problem.

But getting back to my main injury concern, that would be Cortez Allen. That arm looked bad when he went off after making that tackle on special teams. The way he held his arm as he left the field was eerily similar to Byron Leftwich against the Redskins this preseason, and we all know how that ended up. I realize Cortez is only the Steelers "dime back" aka 6th defensive back, and may have barely hit the field against the Broncos. But if we advance, and go to New England, his loss could be huge! Bryan McFadden will be a huge liability if he has to play against teams like the Saints, Patriots, and Packers. I really hope Cortez isn't as injured as I presume. But it's hard to say, because it seems like I'm the only one that is even asking what his status is?

Steeldude
01-02-2012, 07:11 AM
to me it looked like a dislocated shoulder

BlastFurnace
01-02-2012, 07:39 AM
The injury no one is talking about is the one that worries me the most going forward. Don't get me wrong I'm bummed about losing Mendy. After a slow start this season I think he really came on and played well. I know stat wise he didn't have his best season, but in my opinion he was getting everything there was to be had with almost all of his runs going back to about the season's 5th game. But that said I'm confident that Redman can get the job done with little or no falloff. I'm not going to make too big of deal about his fumbles yesterday. For one thing, those were his only fumbles this season. For the second thing, you can tell he took it to heart afterwards, and I'm positive he'll be more focused on ball security going forward, and I don't anticipate a problem.

But getting back to my main injury concern, that would be Cortez Allen. That arm looked bad when he went off after making that tackle on special teams. The way he held his arm as he left the field was eerily similar to Byron Leftwich against the Redskins this preseason, and we all know how that ended up. I realize Cortez is only the Steelers "dime back" aka 6th defensive back, and may have barely hit the field against the Broncos. But if we advance, and go to New England, his loss could be huge! Bryan McFadden will be a huge liability if he has to play against teams like the Saints, Patriots, and Packers. I really hope Cortez isn't as injured as I presume. But it's hard to say, because it seems like I'm the only one that is even asking what his status is?

I'm worried about Cortez too. They have said he has a dislocated shoulder. Keenan Lewis has a hamstring too, which brings Cromartie-Smith on the field on a regular basis.