PDA

View Full Version : Mendy OUT for Denver

Moose
01-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Early word is Mendy may miss the 1st playoff game....ACL ?

stillers4me
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I have a feeling Mendy is out for the year. And beyond.

steelreserve
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
The way it sounded, we'll be lucky to have him back in time for the start of NEXT season.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
At least he was walking, which was a good thing. We'll have to wait and see what the severity of the injury is.

BlastFurnace
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
At least he was walking, which was a good thing. We'll have to wait and see what the severity of the injury is.

Tomlin didn't sound positive at all.

Moose
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Crap !! Never fails does it ?! Can't we ever go to a playoff with every player ( especially main players) at least 70-80% !!

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM

You can walk on a torn ACL. Brady did it in 2008. I remember seeing Andre Frazier do it in a preseason game I went to a few years back.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
You can walk on a torn ACL. Brady did it in 2008. I remember seeing Andre Frazier do it in a preseason game I went to a few years back.
I didn't know that, I feel like every time we see a person with a torn ACL, they can't walk.

steelreserve
01-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Crap !! Never fails does it ?! Can't we ever go to a playoff with every player ( especially main players) at least 70-80% !!

Relax, at least we're not the Texans. And we've got a guy who can fill in at least ok. Though our depth is a bit of a pisser.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Relax, at least we're not the Texans. And we've got a guy who can fill in at least ok. Though our depth is a bit of a pisser.

At least we had depth to begin with. Or we'd really be in a hole.

The good thing is RB is a luxury position. If the line does its job, any back will have success IMO.

Shoes
01-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Tell me about it brother....mine has been torn for nearly 15 years!

steelreserve
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I didn't know that, I feel like every time we see a person with a torn ACL, they can't walk.

They can walk, they just tend not to because it kills.

Hell, you can walk even if you're missing your ACL entirely. That's what Ward does. He's been missing one of his since he was a kid. There was also an NBA player by the name of Jeff Grayer who played his whole career with only one ACL.

Regardless, this is obviously not good.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Starts around 1:12 in video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3iVpsel3I&feature=related

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I hope Mendy makes a full and speedy recovery and will be ready for next season.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I hope Mendy makes a full and speedy recovery and will be ready for next season.

I know the Vikings put Peterson's timetable at 8-9 months and he had a mess of other things wrong with him (MCL, meniscus). So hopefully less than that though I've heard some say it really takes two years to fully recover from any injury like that.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is coming from the guy who was wondering at what point next year Ben was going to come back from his broken ankle.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I know the Vikings put Peterson's timetable at 8-9 months and he had a mess of other things wrong with him (MCL, meniscus). So hopefully less than that though I've heard some say it really takes two years to fully recover from any injury like that.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is coming from the guy who was wondering at what point next year Ben was going to come back from his broken ankle.
Only time will tell.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Only time will tell.

Yup.

Count Steeler
01-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I guess we bring in Spann from the practice squad. We only have Clay and Redman now.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2012, 10:14 PM
i doubt it's an ACL tear, he did walk around pretty much on his own power. That almost never happens if its an ACL tear, the only time ive ever seen it is with one of our special team players back in '08 or '07...i forget his name.

Your time to shine Redman! Personally im not worried about the run game at all. if anything, i think it just might go from anemic to bludgeoning from here on out with Isaac as the driving force.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I guess we bring in Spann from the practice squad. We only have Clay and Redman now.
Anyone have any word on Spann? Is he a decent player?

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone have any word on Spann? Is he a decent player?

Undrafted rookie so not much to go off of. Led NCAA in TDs his senior year.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Undrafted rookie so not much to go off of. Led NCAA in TDs his senior year.
That's a plus. Maybe we could use him in the redzone if hes brought up.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
2010: Started all 14 games at tailback for the Huskies. Led the MAC and ranked 20th nationally in rushing yards with 1,388. Averaged 99.1 yards per game. Led the league and tied for fourth nationally in scoring with 132 points, an average of 9.4 per game. Led the Football Bowl Subdivision with 22 rushing touchdowns to break the NIU single season record. His 132 points is the most points ever scored in a season at NIU.

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spann_chad01.html

Here's his player bio page from Northern Illinois.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Highlight video from his senior year. Of course, it is just a highlight video so keep that in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QX4ylcekk

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Highlight video from his senior year. Of course, it is just a highlight video so keep that in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QX4ylcekk

Just watching the video, he seems to run hard and is fast.

7willBheaven
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM

I'd rather bring in a FA with some experience/etc I think...I'm not sure about another UDFA guy with no NFL exp...and the Steelers going into the playoffs and all.

stillers4me
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Just watching the video, he seems to run hard and is fast.
What the heck...it's only the playoffs.

Play him!! :lol:

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd rather bring in a FA with some experience/etc I think...I'm not sure about another UDFA guy with no NFL exp...and the Steelers going into the playoffs and all.

Wonder who all is on the market?

My first thought is that any back won't know a thing about our offense but then again, Spann probably knows very little too. has likely been working a lot with the scout team and been running their plays, not ours.

I think the load will have to be shouldered by Redman and Clay. Not really any other options unless Moore gets healthy quick.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 10:42 PM

My first thought is that any back won't know a thing about our offense but then again, Spann probably knows very little too. has likely been working a lot with the scout team and been running their plays, not ours.

I think the load will have to be shouldered by Redman and Clay. Not really any other options unless Moore gets healthy quick.

I can't seem to find any information on how long it takes to recover from his injury, can anyone else?

7willBheaven
01-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Theres gotta be some out there that arent terrible and can just be used if/when needed...I thought about the playbook thing too...but in reality if they can just run and block decently (when needed) I think they'd be fine. I could see it being a bigger issue if it was a WR/etc we'd be bringing in but no so much an RB. You see teams bring in guys all the time so i dont think it will be as big an issue.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Theres gotta be some out there that arent terrible and can just be used if/when needed...I thought about the playbook thing too...but in reality if they can just run and block decently (when needed) I think they'd be fine. I could see it being a bigger issue if it was a WR/etc we'd be bringing in but no so much an RB. You see teams bring in guys all the time so i dont think it will be as big an issue.

Eh, you're simplifying it a bit much. There's protection calls, audibles, etc to be learned.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't seem to find any information on how long it takes to recover from his injury, can anyone else?

I'm still not sure what the issue is. MCL sprain? If so, you'd have to know the grade of severity.

7willBheaven
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Eh, you're simplifying it a bit much. There's protection calls, audibles, etc to be learned.

Yes I know...I'm just saying its not THAT hard (compared to some positions)...players who join new teams come in and a lot end up playing in the next game. Especially if its someone who actually has some NFL experience and all its usually not THAT hard to do (i mean these guys are pro's and all). And like you said Redman and Clay would get most of the work barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Also even if Moore is ready to go but they deem Mendy done for the year I'd still like them to add someone (i MIGHT be open to Spann then...but i still would like a Vet).

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm still not sure what the issue is. MCL sprain? If so, you'd have to know the grade of severity.
Yeah, it's an MCL sprain, but I'm not sure of the severity.

steelreserve
01-02-2012, 01:18 AM

From what I've observed of MCL sprains, unless it's a severe one, you can be back on the field in two or three weeks, but it will affect you for the rest of the season. One of those nagging injuries where guys are 80% effective, play a game or two ... then somewhere in there, they step on it wrong and miss the next game or two after that. Then you repeat that process until the season ends and you have 6 months for it to fully get back to normal. That's the only way you get back to 100% It's the same injury Troy had two years ago.

I have to assume, since Moore injured himself with two games to go and they didn't put him straight on IR, it wasn't that bad of a sprain. Crossing my fingers that he'll be available for at least limited duty as a receiver/blocker.

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Jay Glazer's tweet.

Just got off phone w steelers, unless MRI shows something unexpected they believe r mendenhall done for year w torn ACL

ALLD
01-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Add RB to next year's draft right after OL and DL.

Steeldude
01-02-2012, 07:06 AM
i am more worried about the steelers' passive defense and anemic offense.

steelerdiva
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
i am more worried about the steelers' passive defense and anemic offense.

Yeah, well...I'm more worried about you'll ever attempt to be able to post anything without bitching and moaning...but that's another discussion. :rolleyes:

katmandu
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Add RB to next year's draft right after OL and DL.No. Low priority. Don't forget we still have Byron Batch on IR.

XxKnightxX
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Add RB to next year's draft right after OL and DL.

I saw him as trade bait this off season, get that one scratched off the list.