PDA

View Full Version : Redman and Clay

BlastFurnace
01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Depending on what is going on with Mendenhall, this is the Steelers backfield.

Who is on the practice squad?

BlastFurnace
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Tomlin just said that Mendenhall's injury is "not minor"

7willBheaven
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I wonder what Moore's status is going to be. They may have to go outside the organization and bring someone in...they have some Spann guy on the PS...but I would not want him brought up I'd want a vet guy in there or something.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Tomlin just said that Mendenhall's injury is "not minor"

And strongly hinted at an ACL. Basically ruled him out next week, too.

stillers4me
01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Crap. I hope Isaac shakes it off.....

tube517
01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Redman's butterfingers need to end. Need Clay to step up too.

Steeldude
01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
that last one was a tough one. he was held up and then began falling backwards while 5 browns were attacking/stripping at the ball. IMO, losing mendenhall is not that big of a loss.

Iron Steeler
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
that last one was a tough one. he was held up and then began falling backwards while 5 browns were attacking/stripping at the ball. IMO, losing mendenhall is not that big of a loss.

I agree.i like red an, although I feel like he try so hard to stay up on his feet that he fumbles long after his momentum stopped. We're ok don't worry

GodfatherofSoul
01-01-2012, 07:12 PM
When Mendy did the hand signal for shaking back and forth, I took it to mean his knee was doing that meaning an mcl or acl tear.

GoSlash27
01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
We can do this without Mendenhall, but with Dwyer still on IR we'll have to pick up a third back from somewhere. I don't think Spann is ready for primetime.

BlastFurnace
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
We can do this without Mendenhall, but with Dwyer still on IR we'll have to pick up a third back from somewhere. I don't think Spann is ready for primetime.

I don't agree with you here. Mendenhall is a solid RB and the Steelers have no depth any longer at RB.

steelreserve
01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Is Moore supposed to be ready any time soon? Otherwise we may have to bring the Bus out of retirement.

Seriously, our depth is crap. Thankfully we only need to score 5 or 6 points to beat Denver.

ALLD
01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Give the ball to James Harrison.

tube517
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Time to call Tiki.... :chuckle:

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
My biggest issue is with finding backs for pass protection. Don't know how refined Clay is in that area. Know it was a pro style offense in Wisconsin and that two of his three snaps against the Rams came in shotgun passes, but it's probably not where you want it to be. That just leaves Redman who is good but will need breathers. Especially in the thinner Denver air.

steelerdude15
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I feel it will hurt this team losing Mendy, but we can do it without him. We won Super Bowl 43 without him. Issac and John are going to have to step up.

Count Steeler
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I guess David Johnson becomes the FB? We haven't caught many breaks (no pun intended) as it relates to injuries, this year.

Chidi29
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I guess David Johnson becomes the FB? We haven't caught many breaks (no pun intended) as it relates to injuries, this year.

Johnson has been the main FB. And even he got hurt today though returned to the game shortly after.

tube517
01-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I feel it will hurt this team losing Mendy, but we can do it without him. We won Super Bowl 43 without him. Issac and John are going to have to step

up.

He wasn't the featured back then. At least we had 3 RB's that postseason. Now, it's just Redman and Clay (who's been on the PS most of the year)

BigNastyDefense
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I remember in SB 40, Polamalu said he'd be willing to run the ball & take it over the top when Ben got that first TD rushing the ball. I am sure Troy would be up for a few carries if needed lol.

But seriously, losing Meny hurts. Redman is now the starter & Clay is the immediate backup. The depth we had is now gone.

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Troy is the emergency back on gamdays. Played there in high school.

But again, too far ahead of myself.

BigNastyDefense
01-02-2012, 12:13 AM

Can you imagine the reckless abandonment that he would run with?

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Can you imagine the reckless abandonment that he would run with?

Probably too reckless, ha

oneforthetoe
01-02-2012, 12:30 AM
We definitely need depth. Tomlin needs to put out an emergency call for someone with suddenness and glide.

steelreserve
01-02-2012, 01:06 AM
All I am asking for is that they please please please please don't bring back Parker just for this one game. I'd take Russell or Davenport over him, even.

Heh, I bet if we do sign anyone, it's Davenport again. We never can seem to get rid of that guy.

tube517
01-02-2012, 02:20 AM

He is the best victory formation back in history. :chuckle:

pepsyman1
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
All I am asking for is that they please please please please don't bring back Parker just for this one game. I'd take Russell or Davenport over him, even.

Heh, I bet if we do sign anyone, it's Davenport again. We never can seem to get rid of that guy.

If they bring back Davenport I might throw myself off a bridge....lol

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm going to throw out a wild guess of a free agent signing.

Ryan Torain.

Obviously a pretty bad year, bad enough to get cut by Mike Shanahan, but a one cut guy who has had success in the past. Steelers brought him in for a pre-draft visit back in 2008.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-predraft-player-visits-history/

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 03:30 AM

It's too bad Russell got caught with pot. Not that he was anything special but it'd be nice to be able to bring him in at this point.

BlacknGoldBabe
01-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Time to call Tiki.... :chuckle:

Every time I hear Tiki's name, it reminds me of the time that HTG and I were at a fantasy football draft. There was this guy there who was so inept and clueless that when it was his turn to draft, he said "I'll take Kinky Barber." :rofl2:

Steeldude
01-02-2012, 07:13 AM
IMO, this really only hurts in terms of depth.

LLT
01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I sincerely hope the Coach gives Spann a chance....he is a Northern Illinois prosepect that I got to see pretty regularly.

He led the nation for TD's in 2010, was the Mac offensive player of the year, and won the Vern Smith Leadership award which is the "MVP" award for the Mac conference. I know he is only 5'9 200 lbs...but he is one of the better yards after contact backs that I have seen at the college level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7G2Oocg

He was a combine snub (due to his size) but ran a 4.47 at his proday. Add that to his strong lower body...his willingness to lower his pads and take a hit for the extra yard or two...and I say he deserves a chance. After watching the video...I think you have some idea about this kids potential.

I would rather give Spann a chance then to pick up someone off the street who doesnt know our system.

Shoes
01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree LLT...he's inhouse and looks really good.....and you know he would give it his all. Thanks for the video.

LLT
01-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree LLT...he's inhouse and looks really good.....and you know he would give it his all. Thanks for the video.

I think he has been the victim of circumstance...shoulder injury at Indianapolis...then crowded backfield at Tampa and Pittsburgh. I'm very interested in seeing how he does when given a chance in a game situation. He has pretty good hands and the ability to run outside and between the tackles... so he might be a legit 3rd down back if given enough reps.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with Redman and Clay, but both are off tackle runners and not guys that will get to the edges. Gonna be power running football and passing game, which I think matches up with Denver well.

katmandu
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I have no problem with Redman and Clay, but both are off tackle runners and not guys that will get to the edges. Gonna be power running football and passing game, which I think matches up with Denver well.X2.

I think Clay has a LOT of potential! Time for him to shine!

43Hitman
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I think he has been the victim of circumstance...shoulder injury at Indianapolis...then crowded backfield at Tampa and Pittsburgh. I'm very interested in seeing how he does when given a chance in a game situation. He has pretty good hands and the ability to run outside and between the tackles... so he might be a legit 3rd down back if given enough reps.

Man I really like the way that kid runs. He seems to run much heavier than he looks, but has great feet. That's a deadly combination, I hope we can see what he can do in live game action.

XxKnightxX
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
If they bring back Davenport I might throw myself off a bridge....lol

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/11/2009/10/500x_dump.jpg

LMAO :rofl:

BlastFurnace
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I sincerely hope the Coach gives Spann a chance....he is a Northern Illinois prosepect that I got to see pretty regularly.

He led the nation for TD's in 2010, was the Mac offensive player of the year, and won the Vern Smith Leadership award which is the "MVP" award for the Mac conference. I know he is only 5'9 200 lbs...but he is one of the better yards after contact backs that I have seen at the college level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7G2Oocg

He was a combine snub (due to his size) but ran a 4.47 at the combine. Add that to his strong lower body...his willingness to lower his pads and take a hit for the extra yard or two...and I say he deserves a chance. After watching the video...I think you have some idea about this kids potential.

I would rather give Spann a chance then to pick up someone off the street who doesnt know our system.

He definitely has some suddenness and glide...

steelpride12
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I mean it does feel good to have Redman, but as an every down back with a back up who has potential sure, but has not shown us enough to jump the bandwagon just yet ehh. Redman did show us a couple fumbles as well because of his nack to get the yards after the first hit (not a bad thing), but he has to protect the ball better.

LLT
01-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Im not saying that he is the coming Messiah...but in 2009-10 he had 41 rushing TD's with a 5.6 average. Definetely worth a chance. Was a ST demon his freshman year.

XxKnightxX
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Down hill runner. Didnt even know he had him. I like what Im seeing.

steelerdude15
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I still haven't seen anything on Mendy yet.

Shoes
01-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Im not saying that he is the coming Messiah...but in 2009-10 he had 41 rushing TD's with a 5.6 average. Definetely worth a chance. Was a ST demon his freshman year.

Keep us posted LLT.....I really hope they move this kid up!

Buckinnuts
01-02-2012, 08:24 PM
willie parker!

86WARD
01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't mind Torain at all in a Steelers uniform

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Regardless of what we do and who we bring in/up, the burden will fall on the shoulders of the guys who have been here the longest, Redman ane Clay. Anyone else will be a bit piece at best.

Polamalu Princess
01-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Big Red and Clay can take up the slack IMHO.

Tugger
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM

LOL, let's save him for the Ravens, we'll fight fire with fire! See if they can tackle our bowling ball!