PDA

View Full Version : Week 16 Thoughts - Rams vs Steelers

Chidi29
12-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Ho-hum win but those are nice to have late in the season where most teams are either frantic about winning because they have to or are eliminated and the fun of the season is gone.

First Half

- Kickoffs: 4.13 (-8, TB) 3.85 (-5) 3.90 (-9, TB) 4.20 (-4), 3.83 (OZ), 4.03 (-3)

- Battle, Cromartie-Smith the wedgebusters.

- Got a look at the "R" side on the opening kick coverage unit. From R1 out. Battle, Mundy, Ivy, Lewis, McFadden.

- Little frustrating to give up a first down on a 3rd and 12 draw on the Rams' first series. Worilds swallowed up by Dahl the RT. Lewis had a WR with a narrow split and the receiver was a little in the way, but Lewis really needs to set the edge and force the back inside.

- Went with a 4-3 look once on the Rams' first drive with Worilds having his hand down. Idea may have been influenced by having a couple quicker lineman in with Heyward, McClendon, and Keisel also in instead of Hampton.

- Polamalu came pretty close to blocking the Rams first punt.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Essex, Legursky, Foster, Scott

- Again, Scott starting for Gilbert because of the rookie's lack of professionalism (reports are he was late to a meeting).

- Don't know how Batch managed to stay upright/didn't fumble on that zany pass to Mendenhall.

- Regarding that play, I think it was supposed to be a post to Wallace (think TD vs Indy) so nice job by Charlie to keep play alive and find open receiver.

- Essex replaced Legursky, Kemo inserted into LG.

- Looks like there was miscommunication on a trap block early in the game where Foster and Johnson doubled the same player. Don't think Foster knew Johnson was motioned into the backfield and didn't realize there was an assignment change. Left a DE free but Mendenhall was able to motor past for a first down.

- Good idea to try the slant on 3rd and 2 from the three yard line based on the coverage. Everyone in the box on a run blitz. Wallace one on one with the corner but the CB Gordy made a nice play on the ball. Even though the CB has inside position pre-snap, he didn't jam and Wallace was able to cross him. Just a nice breakup. Picture of the pre-snap.

http://i41.tinypic.com/24o9e95.png

- Although he was called down, another instance where Ward lost control of the ball and put in on the ground. Happened on his shovel pass. Becoming a disturbing trend.

- Jammers with Brown on IR. No surprises, the same as it has been with him out. Lewis and Allen.

- Troy had a really nice rub that knocked down a WR. Clemens ends up throwing the ball away.

- Keenan Lewis is continuing to do a nice job of getting under routes and breaking passes up. Had at least two in the first half.

- What hustle by Brown on his tackle of punter Donnie Jones. Just shows his character, to me at least. WR is a flashy position and he's having a great year but he still shows the hustle to run and stop Jones a yard short. With leadership from Ward/Cotchery, the younger guys stay humble. And Brown was prepared, he reacted immediately. If he hesitates or is a little lazy, Jones gets the first.

- Another attempted WR pass by Brown that he ended up tucking and running. Don't be surprised to see us pull it back out for the playoffs.

- Correct adjustments by Everest to have a "spy" on punts for the rest of the game. Picture.

http://i44.tinypic.com/x1djba.png

- Picture of blocking so good it should be hung over a fireplace. Result, huge gain by Mendenhall. Foster/Miller with a kickout, Starks gets to the 2nd level. Can't see it but Wallace walls off the CB downfield to spring Mendenhall another 20 yards.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2l8zuw1.png

- Clay's TD on the next play. Trips Bunch to the right, wall everyone down. Heath with a nice block at point of attack to keep DL from slipping outside. Clay one-on-one with the corner and gets in the end zone on his first career carry. Congrats!

- Foote replaced Farrior with six minutes left in first half.

- Watch Harrison just explode through contact on the bull rush against Goldberg. Here he is off the snap getting under him.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rhvgv4.png

And here he is running him over. Love it.

http://i42.tinypic.com/6p9chc.png

- I guess being gone for one week makes teams forget how good Harrison is? Multiple instances of him being blocked solo against the TE Bajema. Of course, putting him on the tackles isn't doing much good as shown by the above pictures. His sack late in the half forced a 51 yard FG attempt by Brown which he missed.

Second Half

- Pretty sure the mics the center/guards are wearing are picking up some of the audibles pretty clearly. And at the risk of sounding arrogant, they don't seem that hard to figure out. Twice Batch called "White 34" where Mendenhall (the #3 back in the backfield - I forget how that numbering system goes. Johnson was in front at FB on both plays) ran through the 4 gap (or at least, that's how the blocking was set up to be).

- Suisham nailed a FG from the left hash. And a 49 yarder at that towards the open side of the stadium.

- Credit to the Rams' playcall on the wheel route to Jackson that Clemens overthrew. Had Lloyd running a pick to prevent Harrison from covering. Picture.

http://i44.tinypic.com/3325u1s.png

- Keenan Lewis with a missed tackle on another 3rd and long draw to Jackson that he picked up a first down out of.

- Know it hasn't been as good as the past, at least statistically because I think it's still pretty good, but there wasn't any mention of Jackson breaking 100 yards rushing against us. Usually that gets a comment.

- Cortez Allen with a really nice job of making a tackle immediately after a booming punt by Kapinos. Pinned the Rams to around the 12.

- Foote came in at ILB with 11:10 left in the 4th.

- Clay was also seeing action on the punt team and got two more snaps on passing plays in the backfield after his TD.

- PA to Wallace where he was down at the one. Time to do it against Cover 1. CB giving free release, safety stumbles, can't get over the top (though wouldn't have had a chance regardless).

- Gilbert used in goalline packages. Had the key block on Mendenhall's TD.

http://i40.tinypic.com/f371a0.png

- Timmons gets a sack on my favorite LeBeau blitz because it's simple yet so effective. OLB Harrison comes around the edge to occupy the OT and uses a rip to get past him. DE (Keisel) crahses down to take the LG. Allows the ILB to shoot through a huge hole. This either leaves him one-on-one with the back or if th back isn't on the correct side, with a free shot at the QB. Jackson was on the other side, seeing a Foote blitz and Polamalu up on the line on the open (weak) side. We only have to rush five and we can get a clean shot on a QB. Timmons and Harrison combine on the sack. Picture.

http://i39.tinypic.com/693mnd.png

- Same blitz design the next play, Foote got pressure up the middle, forced an incomplete pass and punt.

- Helmet-to-helmet hit on Ward. Pic.

http://i40.tinypic.com/nycnte.png

- And while I do want to preface that the ref had just turned his head around after ducking out of the way so he wouldn't be in the ball's path, and who knows if his vision picked it up in that moment, he is looking right at the hit.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23kohzs.png

Again, I know I'm the "apologist" but I've always said I just want consistency. Didn't happen here, that's for sure. Is it a conspiracy or Goodell's apparent relationn to Hitler? No. Is it incompetent/lazy refeering? More likely. And I realize some calls just get missed but it's in plain view.

- Jonathan Scott inserted at FB on Redman's TD, the last score of the day.

- Mundy replaced Troy late in the game.

- Legursky was in pads and had helmet in hand so yeah, like Tomlin said, he could've come back into the game.

Sacks

None allowed. First time all year. Merry Christmas!

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 7.5
Max Starks: 6.5
Marcus Gilbert: 4
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 4
Chris Kemoeatu: 3
Ramon Foster: 3
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Trai Essex: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Doug Legursky: 1
Willie Colon: .5

Documentation

FB: 12
Pony: 0
Empty: 1

Austin87
12-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Good stuff Chidi.

zulater
12-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Again, I know I'm the "apologist" but I've always said I just want consistency. Didn't happen here, that's for sure. Is it a conspiracy or Goodell's apparent relationn to Hitler? No. Is it incompetent/lazy refeering? More likely. And I realize some calls just get missed but it's in plain view.

The trouble is the game's moving at a tremendous pace, so you can expect the refs to miss some calls in real time. But if you're going to fine illegal hits whether a flag was thrown or not shouldn't play into the process. To the best of my knowledge the illegal hit against Antonio Brown in the last Browns game was never addressed by the league office, and I suspect the league wont bother with the one you highlighted here against Ward either. So if and when either of the offending parties go helmet to helmet in the future, these hits wont be held against them, whereas a similar hit by James Harrison or Ryan Clark would almost certainly result in a suspension flagged at the time or not. The league office is random and arbitrary in the way they hand out punishment. This should be a huge problem with everyone, but sadly it's not.

st33lersguy
12-31-2011, 02:51 PM
I thought it was embarrassing that the Steelers allowed the Rams to convert 3rd and long twice on running plays

Chidi29
12-31-2011, 05:40 PM
The trouble is the game's moving at a tremendous pace, so you can expect the refs to miss some calls in real time. But if you're going to fine illegal hits whether a flag was thrown or not shouldn't play into the process. To the best of my knowledge the illegal hit against Antonio Brown in the last Browns game was never addressed by the league office, and I suspect the league wont bother with the one you highlighted here against Ward either. So if and when either of the offending parties go helmet to helmet in the future, these hits wont be held against them, whereas a similar hit by James Harrison or Ryan Clark would almost certainly result in a suspension flagged at the time or not. The league office is random and arbitrary in the way they hand out punishment. This should be a huge problem with everyone, but sadly it's not.

I understand and that's why I'm the apologist because I realize it's a difficult situation for all parties involved. And if that ref hadn't turned around, then I'd understand more because you can't call a penalty if no one sees the hit. But for a ref to be so close and there being a good chance he saw the hit, I can't provide a "good" reason as to why a flag wasn't thrown.

I will say this. I'm assuming someone in the organization has to let the league know about this. Because unless there's a penalty or talked about in the media, they aren't going to see it. They can't look at every play in every game each week to make sure there weren't any hits missed. If the Steelers want something done, I hope they let the league know.