PDA

View Full Version : Kemo coming back !

Moose
12-29-2011, 09:57 PM
| More The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

Kemoeatu likely to return to starting lineup
December 29th, 2011 It wouldn’t be a normal week for the Steelers unless there was some shuffling along the offensive line.
The latest change will apparently come at left guard with Chris Kemoeatu likely to return to the starting lineup in Cleveland.
Trai Essex has started the last two games at left guard. They were the two contests that, not coincidentally, followed Kemoeatu’s dubious hat trick against the Browns on Dec. 8.
But Essex moved to center last Saturday because of a shoulder injury to Doug Legursky, and Kemoeatu played most of the way at left guard.
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians praised Kemoeatu’s play against St. Louis, saying, “He looks healthy again.”
Practicality is also a major reason why the Steelers are likely to go with Kemoeatu over Essex this week at left guard. With Legursky out because of a shoulder injury and Maurkice Pouncey coming off an ankle injury the Steelers are still in a very precarious situation at center.
They were so thin after Essex moved over from left guard last Saturday that a one-armed Legursky was their emergency center had something happened to Essex.
They can’t afford for Essex to get hurt this week, especially since there are no guarantees that Pouncey will make it through the entire game.
Essex received the highest praise from Mike Tomlin for the job he did while filling in at center last Saturday, and his versatility again works against him.
But the prudent play in Cleveland is to start Kemoeatu at left guard and save Essex as Pouncey insurance.

– Scott Brown

Oh great !!! Just in time for the play-offs !! Here comes the stupid ass, game losing, penalties again !! UGH

polamalubeast
12-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Over/under

3 penalty for Kemo sunday

X-Terminator
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
And at least one personal foul.

Chidi29
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Let's see how he looks when deemed healthy by the team.

He has played really poorly, but has been battling knee/ankle injuries for the better part of the past two years.

Edman
12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Yay?

Sure is wonderful to get the drive-killer back.

steelreserve
12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Why are we playing Pouncey again this week? Do we really want to risk him getting re-injured for the playoffs?

Chidi29
12-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Why are we playing Pouncey again this week? Do we really want to risk him getting re-injured for the playoffs?

Perhaps to shake off rust. To still want to make sure we win the game to give us a shot of getting a bye. Because of Legursky's injury.

But simpliest of all, because he is finally healthy. Personally, I've gone back and forth on whether or not we should start/sit certain players, but Tomlin's approach is the simpliest. If you're healthy, play. If not, you sit.

Moose
12-30-2011, 01:42 AM
I know Tomlin's approach is the simpliest--you're healthy you play, if not you sit---but, I'm still not sold on his theory. If we weren't guaranteed a play off spot, and this coming game was a win and in game, I'd agree with Tomlin, but we are IN the play-offs and we are going to need everyone as close to 100% as possible. We should be able to beat the browns with most of our bench players. Why play the odds of someone 'rolling' on someones foot, ankle, knee, etc.. ? There could even be something as simple as a 'turn' or 'twist' to cause an injury. We've all seen it happen.

Chidi29
12-30-2011, 02:05 AM
I know Tomlin's approach is the simpliest--you're healthy you play, if not you sit---but, I'm still not sold on his theory. If we weren't guaranteed a play off spot, and this coming game was a win and in game, I'd agree with Tomlin, but we are IN the play-offs and we are going to need everyone as close to 100% as possible. We should be able to beat the browns with most of our bench players. Why play the odds of someone 'rolling' on someones foot, ankle, knee, etc.. ? There could even be something as simple as a 'turn' or 'twist' to cause an injury. We've all seen it happen.

I get your point, but it's a slippery slope to play scared like that. Injuries can happen to anybody. You don't want them to occur, but they're part of the game and there's no point in trying to hide from them.

For all we know, Ia player not on the injury report, say Ike Taylor breaks his leg and is lost for the playoff.

XxKnightxX
12-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Yay?

Sure is wonderful to get the drive-killer back.

Is Willie Colon coming of IR? :rofl:

XxKnightxX
12-30-2011, 04:58 AM

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtA1Q98LLs&feature=related

BlacknGoldBabe
12-30-2011, 05:21 AM
:behindsofa: I shudder to think of the drives killed! Wonder if he had a brain cell transplant?

suitanim
12-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Kemo is a decent run blocker...that probably reveals what our gameplan is for Sunday.

venom
12-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Over/under

3 penalty for Kemo sunday

Ill say over , and all of them during a big play

HometownGal
12-30-2011, 06:37 AM
YAY! NOT.

That is all.

GBMelBlount
12-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Let's see how he looks when deemed healthy by the team.

He has played really poorly, but has been battling knee/ankle injuries for the better part of the past two years.

I have a feeling A LOT of his penalties are out of the physical pain and frustration at how his injury is affecting his performance.

Hopefully between his healing and time off to reflect we will see a marked improvement in his play, his attitude and fewer boneheaded penalties...

GBMelBlount
12-30-2011, 07:36 AM
I get your point, but it's a slippery slope to play scared like that. Injuries can happen to anybody. You don't want them to occur, but they're part of the game and there's no point in trying to hide from them.

For all we know, a player not on the injury report, say Ike Taylor breaks his leg and is lost for the playoff.

I don't know that I would call it "scared" so much as "cautious" or "calcuated." There are relative degrees of health...70%....80%....90%, etc. and it makes sense imo to make the decision based on several factors. The importance of the game, the quality of the backup and of course the likelihood of that player significantly slowing or worsening the healing of THAT particular injury...

Also, in this particular situation, having our key players as healthy as possible for the playoffs IS the number one priority imo.

So for key players who have been hampered by injuries, naturally I would try to rest them this week and play them strategically if and only if necessary. We have a good chance of beating cleveland while resting our key players who are hampered by injury. That to me would me the most logical approach.....captain.

BnG_Hevn
12-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, he is a possible Pro Bowler, maybe all the press got to the coaches.

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Kemo, this year's William Gay, getting killed over and over again for doing things everyone else does.

st33lersguy
12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Hopefully the Steelers cut his ass this offseason and draft someone with some sense

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Hopefully the Steelers cut his ass this offseason and draft someone with some sense

See, now who exactly are we going to draft at pick 32? That's the question.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Kemo, this year's William Gay, getting killed over and over again for doing things everyone else does.

Nice analogy. In fairness, Gay had more holes in his game like run support, defending passes rather than just tackling, etc. He didnt make as many mistakes from an aggressive penalty standpoint.

Kemo has always been a mauler in the run game, but inconsistent in pass protection. Still a solid OG when healthy and possibly the best run blocking interior lineman on the team.

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Nice analogy. In fairness, Gay had more holes in his game like run support, defending passes rather than just tackling, etc. He didnt make as many mistakes from an aggressive penalty standpoint.

Kemo has always been a mauler in the run game, but inconsistent in pass protection. Still a solid OG when healthy and possibly the best run blocking interior lineman on the team.

I think he's just had a really bad opening to the year and his "late hit" penalties always seem to come at really bad points in a game. the Cleaning of the Pile nonsense has to have stopped by now, but in the Run Game, he's really good. But hey, I kind of am a fan of his, maybe I just like saying the name, but we could do a lot worse than Kemo

steelreserve
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
See, now who exactly are we going to draft at pick 32? That's the question.

Hopefully someone other than an offensive lineman, since we've used a #1 and a #2 on that the past two years. People will never be happy with the line. You want a good defense and good skill players, you have to cut corners somewhere.

fansince'76
12-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Kemo is a decent run blocker...that probably reveals what our gameplan is for Sunday.

That damn Arians - so predictable with his grab bag offense... :chuckle:

Chidi29
12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't know that I would call it "scared" so much as "cautious" or "calcuated." There are relative degrees of health...70%....80%....90%, etc. and it makes sense imo to make the decision based on several factors. The importance of the game, the quality of the backup and of course the likelihood of that player significantly slowing or worsening the healing of THAT particular injury...

Also, in this particular situation, having our key players as healthy as possible for the playoffs IS the number one priority imo.

So for key players who have been hampered by injuries, naturally I would try to rest them this week and play them strategically if and only if necessary. We have a good chance of beating cleveland while resting our key players who are hampered by injury. That to me would me the most logical approach.....captain.

Of course, you look at the rust factor too. A guy like Pouncey may be close to completely healed and would want to get a week of game action under his belt before the playoffs. Like I said, there's that back and forth over which is more important.

If the player has been hampered by injuries to the point where he isn't ready to play this week, like LaMarr Woodley, then sure, sit him and get him ready for the playoffs. But you talk to the player, see how he feels, talk to the doctors and determine the recovery, and if they're healthy, then get them some reps. And I'm sure if we're up big on Cleveland after the first half, Tomlin won't be afraid to pull the plug.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Hopefully someone other than an offensive lineman, since we've used a #1 and a #2 on that the past two years. People will never be happy with the line. You want a good defense and good skill players, you have to cut corners somewhere.

Some would argue that we have decent talent at the skill positions. (WR, QB, RB, TE, CB) I would say we need to bolster the talent at ILB, Safety, NT, OG. So drafting an OG in the 1st round isnt out of the question at all. I still wont be surprised to see a ILB or NT taken though.

The fact that 2 picks were used on O linemen doesnt mean another isnt needed. Before those, the last real pick used on an O lineman was Tony Hills. Got to renew the talent with more than 5th rounders and free agents.

7willBheaven
12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I like most dont like it...HOWEVER when he came in last week he played OK and didnt get any penalties. If he can do that again then I will be fine with it for THIS WEEK!

polamalubeast
12-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Kemo is so dumb

5:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8uR5tzJ3nc&feature=related

SteelGhost
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM

And that gameplan was awesome, they should repeat it against the brownies.

Count Steeler
12-30-2011, 07:24 PM
And that gameplan was awesome, they should repeat it against the brownies.

Brownies have a better defense though. But that is the kind of ball control, clock killing possessions we want in the playoffs. Especially if we have to travel. Just bore the hell out of the home crowd and put them to sleep and we can walk away with a 10-14 point win.

Chidi29
12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Kemo's run blocking and nastiness will help against a DT duo of Taylor and Rubin. So there's that.

st33lersguy
12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Kemo's run blocking and nastiness will help against a DT duo of Taylor and Rubin. So there's that.

Until he knocks Taylor or Rubin on their asses 5 seconds after the play ends

zulater
12-31-2011, 07:23 AM
For better or worse the coaches are doing what they need to do by starting Kemo. He played a good game against the Rams, so maybe he can gain a little confidence from that? And hopefully he's a little healthier now than before, so maybe he wont need to take cut corners that lead to drive killing penalties.

What's important is that we protect Legurskey, and Pouncey from further injury,so if I'm right I'm guessing that they'll play Pouncey a limited number of snaps and replace him with Essex at some point. So it was best to keep all of Trai's practice snaps at center this week. Which of course means Kemo is about the only choice they had. Hopefully Kemo will realize that he's playing for his NFL future and put up a worthy perfromance.

KeiselPower99
12-31-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm sure there will be some scoreboard watching Sunday. If Baltimore is up decently I expect we will see a few backups playing.

Chidi29
01-02-2012, 06:32 AM

For all we know, Ia player not on the injury report, say Ike Taylor breaks his leg and is lost for the playoff.

I take full responsibility for Mendenhall's injury.

Steeldude
01-02-2012, 07:12 AM
hopefully he keeps his head int he game. he isn't the sharpest tool...