PDA

View Full Version : Pro bowl

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Ben Roethlisberger,Mike wallace,Pouncey,Polamalu and Antonio Brown make the pro bowl

Congrat!

kmsteelerwr15
12-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Congrats!!! I still think Ike has been snubbed

ALLD
12-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Would have been nice to see James Harrison decapitate somebody in our nation's 50th state.

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d5d82578253/article/2012-pro-bowl-rosters?module=HP11_breaking_news

fansince'76
12-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Congrats on getting named to the popularity contest, guys...

fansince'76
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Congrats!!! I still think Ike has been snubbed

Ike's more deserving of the trip than Troy this year, IMO. But it hasn't really been about who deserves it for at least 25 years now...

zulater
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Only one player off the AFC's #1 scoring defense?

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM

If Woodley and Harrison was not injured, he would have been.

zulater
12-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Ike's more deserving of the trip than Troy this year, IMO. But it hasn't really been about who deserves it for at least 25 years now...

I know Troy doesn't have the interceptions we've come to expect from him, but his overall play has been really good. He's well deserving imo.

Harrison and Ike should have made it too though.

zulater
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Harrison should have made it anyway. He's still the most feared player in the league.

Merchant
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
I aunno, I'm as big a Steelers fan as anyone but Pouncey and Troy didn't have the greatest year. Even Wallace has been borderline invisible since the Arizona game. Some odd selections this year. How on earth did Phillip Rivers make it? Ike got snubbed, as usual.

kmsteelerwr15
12-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Harrison should have made it anyway. He's still the most feared player in the league.

Harrison is a 1st alternate and Woodley and Clark are second alternates

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I aunno, I'm as big a Steelers fan as anyone but Pouncey and Troy didn't have the greatest year. Even Wallace has been borderline invisible since the Arizona game. Some odd selections this year. How on earth did Phillip Rivers make it? Ike got snubbed, as usual.

I would have been furious if Mike Wallace would not have been to the Pro Bowl.

Especially he was not in 2010.

fansince'76
12-27-2011, 06:36 PM
How on earth did Phillip Rivers make it?

He's "elite" (never mind that he played like warmed over dogshit all year). Hell, I'm halfway surprised P. Manning wasn't named to it. :coffee:

The Duke
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
too much players, especially young ones. I don't like it

the only one that should have made it (Ike) didn't

tube517
12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
No swaggin in the Pro Bowl.

:nono:

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 06:39 PM
He's "elite." I'm halfway surprised P. Manning wasn't named to it.

The problem is that was not better 3rd QB than Rivers in the AFC this year.

He may be just Dalton who would have deserved in his place.

fansince'76
12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
The problem is that was not better 3rd QB than Rivers in the AFC this year.

It could just be the NFL's way of squaring things up with Rivers for screwing him over three years ago when he actually deserved to go and was passed over in favor of Drama King Favre based on his "triumphant" return to the NFL with the Jets when he led the league in interceptions and got Mangini canned as HC there. :lol:

dislocatedday
12-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I just can't believe Ike did not chosen. He has been the epitome of a shut-down corner this year. I'll admit to not seeing much of Jonathon Joseph so I will not comment on him, but no way on earth is Champ Bailey having a better year than Ike. Fan voting only counts 1/3 of it I think, and my guess is the players and media just vote on name recogntion much of the time as well.....hence Champ gets in while Ike gets snubbed.

The Duke
12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
FULLBACK

*Vonta Leach, Ravens

I'm not sure a fullback is still a full-time position worthy of a Pro Bowl slot. I would rather have the H-back here and would give it to Aaron Hernandez of the Pats.
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d5d825772f0/article/pro-bowl-analysis-afc-roster-full-of-good-calls-omissions

LOL

Stop spewing garbage! He's about the only true fullback in the league. He deserves it

st33lersguy
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Ike got snubbed, Harrison got snubbed, how the hell did Phillis Rivers make it? Andy Dalton has been much more steady and has played with much more poise than Rivers. Interesting that John Kuhn made it

fansince'76
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Yep. But arguably the worst defense in the frigging league (NE) has two starters on it.

Shit, just name the entire Green Bay and New England rosters to it and be done with it. I'm sure Goodell would prefer that anyway. :coffee:

Chidi29
12-27-2011, 08:19 PM
David Johnson deserves to get in at FB.

salamander
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Congratulations guys on making the Popularity contest roster.

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 08:47 PM
This tweet comes after many fans shook their heads with Philip Rivers' inclusion.

KegsnEggsAdam Kramer

Philip Rivers made the Pro Bowl. He sent out his "Yes" attendance response to the NFL, but it was intercepted.

vader29
12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Won't be any Steelers in the Pro Bowl this year as they will be busy preparing to play in the Super Bowl the following week. :tt03:

7willBheaven
12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
David Johnson deserves to get in at FB.

Kuhn made it for the NFC so its all good!

7willBheaven
12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
While we all know what the PB has become and all for the most part...it is STILL a big honor for a lot of players to be elected to the team. Harrison and Woodley only deserve to be alternates, they've both missed a number of games and because of that they do not have the production of past years.

Same goes with TE Gates...he missed a lot of the year yet he still makes it. Beyond that the only other issue I have with the AFC team is Ike, Keisel and Clark didnt make it...both guys have played great this year (better than Champ and Weddle). But oh well...its by far not the end of the world, haha.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Thinking about the 5 that made it and another 4 or 5 others that were borderline.....

Taylor, Harrison, Woodley, Johnson....

and a host of other quality players...I am not sure there is a more solid overall team in the nfl.

If we are healthy for the playoffs this could be an exciting run.

BigNastyDefense
12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Ike should have made it. IMHO, he's had a better year this year than Champ Bailey or Darelle Revis. But he's not as flashy as they are, so he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves.

touchdownward
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Ike should have made it. IMHO, he's had a better year this year than Champ Bailey or Darelle Revis. But he's not as flashy as they are, so he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves.That's my feeling about Ike too. Week in and week out, he is assigned to the opposing teams best receiver and, for the most part, shuts them down.

SteelerFanInStl
12-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Popularity contest. Nothing more. 8 Pats? :lol:

steelreserve
12-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Who cares. I don't want any of our guys playing in the Pro Bowl anyway. I want them playing in the Super Bowl.

Count Steeler
12-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Who cares. I don't want any of our guys playing in the Pro Bowl anyway. I want them playing in the Super Bowl.

Stole my post. Can't think of a less significant game, especially now that it is before the Super Bowl.

suitanim
12-28-2011, 05:36 AM
They'll be RSVPing with a "regrets".

Can't be in Indianapolis and Hawaii at the same time...

zulater
12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
A couple things.

It's not about the game, with very few exceptions, players and fans alike could care less about the game itself.

It's about being selected, and it does matter to the players and the fans. We like it when "our guys" get recognized, and the players often have bonuses attached to being selected, so don't tell me it doesn't matter to them. Plus after their career, it's part of their resume, even their identity to some degree. And for those guys that are borderline Hall of Famers, the more Pro Bowl selections they can pin on their lapel, the better their chances.

Now to address those of you who have offered the opinion that Troy wasn't worthy of selection this year, I strongly disagree. Often as fans we get caught up in what our players don't do, rather than what they do in fact do. The Steelers are 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense, and first in pass defense. This wouldn't be possible without Troy playing at a high level. I know he's had the dropsies this year and hasn't posted the interception totals we've come to expect from him. I know sometimes he guesses wrong, and as a result a big play will be made against the Steelers, and that he'll miss a tackle here and there. But he leads the team in solo tackles ( as per today's PPG), tackles for losses, and stuffs. He changes the game, he makes opposing qb's and rb's ill at ease, because they never know where he'll turn up. Try to notice the next time he comes all the way across the field and stops a receiver or ball carrier a yard short of the sticks on 3rd down, instead of focusing strictly on the tackle or two game he misgauges or misses. He's had a great year, as usual, he just doesn't have the interceptions this year.

86WARD
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM

How do you explain Ray Ray?!? Lol...

Polamalu absolutely deserves to be there. If you dont think he does, youre not watching the games. Ike deserves to be there...big snub.

No Harrison, no Suh?!? Hmmmm...

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM

It's always an honor for a player to have a Pro Bowl selection...Especially for Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.I'm really happy for the two players

But they are not obliged to participate!...Roethlisberger will not play the Pro Bowl, even if the steelers not go to the super bowl due to his injury.

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 08:55 AM
How do you explain Ray Ray?!? Lol...

Polamalu deserves to be there. Ike deserves to be there...big snub.

No Harrison, no Suh?!? Hmmmm...

The biggest snub of the NFL this year is Matthew Stafford.

I like Eli Manning, but Stafford has a better season.

NJarhead
12-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Agreed, Pro Bowl selection is a joke in too many ways. "Some" obviously deserved to go, but others? I'm not so sure why Ray Lewis is a starter. Pat Angerer had 50 more tackles and isn't even an alternate. When that was brought up on Sirius NFL, the excuse was "well the Colts defense has been on the field a lot more and even Pat Angerer would agree that Lewis is the better MLB." Really? Was he the better LB THIS YEAR?? And what about all those years when the Ravens had no offense to speak of and Lewis made the Pro Bowl?

Antonio Gates over Heath Miller? Why?

Victor Cruz snubbed? Really?

Phil Rivers over Andy Dalton? I don't think so.

And how the Hell is Richard Seymour in the Pro Bowl??? Ask ANY Raiders fan if they think he's been a pro bowler this year. Yea, two blocked kicks, but what else has he done but be a dipshit penalty liability or a pedestrian?

Ike's snubbing really pisses me off though.

suitanim
12-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Fans voting?

Expect this kind of nonsense...fans are, for the most part, pretty stupid.

st33lersguy
12-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Why don't we just name half of this roster to the pro bowl roster the next 3 years right now, and name players that always make it anyway based on name recognition. I am just glad that the people were smart enough to select Carlos Rogers over all the Eagles overpaid CBs

suitanim
12-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Does it make ANY sense that the Patriots, with the worst defense in the NFL got TWO defensive players on the starting roster, and the Steelers, with statistically the best defense in the league only got one?

tube517
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Even before the fan voting, I always looked at the All Pro team selections rather than the Pro Bowl selections as a true gauge of who the best players were that season.

Iron Steeler
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
If there is a team that's is polar opposite of the probowl I think Chris kemoatu and Shaun suisham deserve to be on it

NCSteeler
12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Heard someone on NFL network say that you usually get voted in one year too late and one year too long. Meaning people remember what you did last year and don't recognize when your done. Sounds about right to me, only thing to add is that non flashy , non self promoters almost never get in, ie, IKE, Aaron Smith and London Fletcher, who holds the all time most snubbed award.

Steeldude
12-28-2011, 10:34 AM

exactly

steelerdude15
12-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Congrats to those who made it! Ike should have made it though...

The Duke
12-28-2011, 11:04 AM
It's always an honor for a player to have a Pro Bowl selection...Especially for Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.I'm really happy for the two players

But they are not obliged to participate!...Roethlisberger will not play the Pro Bowl, even if the steelers not go to the super bowl due to his injury.

I really wish Brown and Wallace weren't selected

the last thing young receivers need is an ego boost. Gonna be even harder to resign them when the time comes

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 11:11 AM

the last thing young receivers need is an ego boost. Gonna be even harder to resign them when the time comes

I'm not even worried.

Brown and Wallace did not have the ego of Terrell Owens.

Wallace and Brown are very good person!

fansince'76
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm not even worried.

Brown and Wallace did not have the ego of Terrell Owens.

Wallace and Brown are very good person!

I can see Wallace going the "diva" route, Brown not so much.

steelreserve
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
A couple things.

It's not about the game, with very few exceptions, players and fans alike could care less about the game itself.

It's about being selected, and it does matter to the players and the fans. We like it when "our guys" get recognized, and the players often have bonuses attached to being selected, so don't tell me it doesn't matter to them. Plus after their career, it's part of their resume, even their identity to some degree. And for those guys that are borderline Hall of Famers, the more Pro Bowl selections they can pin on their lapel, the better their chances.

In this respect, from a purely selfish perspective, I want as few of our guys as possible going to the Pro Bowl and winning awards. I can see perfectly well who's good and who's not. All that happens by adding a ceremonial title is that you have to pay them $8 million or else Dan Snyder or the ghost of Al Davis will steal them away.

Yes, some guys like Troy, Ben, Harrison, Wallace are obviously so good that everyone knows it and they're going to command a high salary anyway. But take players like Keisel, Miller, Sanders, Timmons, Taylor, Clark, Mendenhall ... if they were making the Pro Bowl on a regular basis, I guarantee you half of them would be gone because we couldn't afford them. Being under the radar is a great thing in terms of your ability to keep a team together.

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Maybe, but his will never be close to Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall, etc.

steelreserve
12-28-2011, 11:19 AM

I can definitely see both. Brown's little first-down ball drop ritual has "potential diva" written all over it. But maybe not, too. Let's hope it's not. My guess is one or the other of them becomes a diva, but not both.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Yep. But arguably the worst defense in the frigging league (NE) has two starters on it.

Shit, just name the entire Green Bay and New England rosters to it and be done with it. I'm sure Goodell would prefer that anyway. :coffee:

Clay Matthews over Aldon Smith :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Im more surprised that Brown made it, than the fact that ike didnt make it. Ike, Brandon Flowers, and maybe even Joe Haden among others shouldve made it in before. Champ is one of the handful of guys that has become a TRUE running joke for making the pro bowl ahead of better players.

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Im more surprised that Brown made it, than the fact that ike didnt make it. Ike, Brandon Flowers, and maybe even Joe Haden among others shouldve made it in before. Champ is one of the handful of guys that has become a TRUE running joke for making the pro bowl ahead of better players.

Brown made ​​the Pro Bowl as returner

XxKnightxX
12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Ike got snubbed, Harrison got snubbed, how the hell did Phillis Rivers make it? Andy Dalton has been much more steady and has played with much more poise than Rivers. Interesting that John Kuhn made it

He made it to the Milky Way Galaxy Pro Bowl Football hall of fame. You dont fuck with KUUUUUHHHHHNNNNN!!!!

XxKnightxX
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Wallace is up for contract at the end of this season, not one peep out of his mouth and hes playing his ass off. Brown the same and they put up numbers and clutch moments and they arent asking for a contract after every catch. Whether they are gonna demand big bucks next year will have to be seen, but for both of them to be in a Super Bowl within their first two years of being in the league, they know who they are playing for and what holds for them in the future. If they want the big bucks, only one might get it and the other will look elsewhere. Rest assured the Patriots* are gonna go after one of our guys.

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Mike Wallace has always had a very good attitude, I not understand why you are afraid that a change in attitude due to a pro bowl.

86WARD
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Gonna cost the steelers more money to keep him and they'd better buck up...

43Hitman
12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
They should allow fan voting, but the only thing the fan should be able to see when voting are the relevant stats. Like tackles, forced fumbles, passes defended, ints, td's, yards, etc., etc. No names, no teams, just stats. Then you'd have the players that deserve to be at the Pro Bowl, instead of re-treads like ole' RayRay.

X-Terminator
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Brown and Wallace are restricted FAs. So no one needs to worry about losing them, at least not now. They are going to get paid.

GodfatherofSoul
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
RFA isn't a guarantee. You still have to put up the money and if some desperate stupid owner (I"m looking at you Daniel Snyder) makes a drunk man's bid for either of them, no way we're matching.

polamalubeast
12-28-2011, 06:08 PM
RFA isn't a guarantee. You still have to put up the money and if some desperate stupid owner (I"m looking at you Daniel Snyder) makes a drunk man's bid for either of them, no way we're matching.

I wonder if it's already happened something like that...At worst, the Steelers had a first-round pick and a 3rd round pick

But we must not be worried, it will not happen

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Lol, his funeral. I'll take the 1st + 3rd round pick, or 1st round pick at the very least. On a team like this, those picks are deadly.

fansince'76
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Lol, his funeral. I'll take the 1st + 3rd round pick, or 1st round pick at the very least. On a team like this, those picks are deadly.

Absolutely - I'd take the extra 1st and 3rd rounder any day of the week. We could finally get our OL shored up once and for all.

fansince'76
12-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes. And that's why the Steelers will continue to win while the Redskins, well...

Bluecoat96
12-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Brown and Wallace are restricted FAs. So no one needs to worry about losing them, at least not now. They are going to get paid.

How is Brown a RFA? Next year's only his third in the league.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
How is Brown a RFA? Next year's only his third in the league.

he was only a 6th round pick remember, so he probably got a really short deal

Chidi29
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
he was only a 6th round pick remember, so he probably got a really short deal

Safford is correct. Brown got a three year deal. We have him for one more year after this and then he'll become a RFA.

X-Terminator
12-28-2011, 11:00 PM

No it's not a guarantee, but it's as close to one as you can get. If some owner wants to drastically overpay for Wallace and Brown (yes, I realize now that he's not an RFA until after next season), and they give up a high first-rounder, the Steelers would be dumb to pass that up. But I still don't see it happening and both will end up getting paid, especially with all of the players coming off the books in the next 2 years.

suitanim
12-29-2011, 05:31 AM
They should allow fan voting, but the only thing the fan should be able to see when voting are the relevant stats. Like tackles, forced fumbles, passes defended, ints, td's, yards, etc., etc. No names, no teams, just stats. Then you'd have the players that deserve to be at the Pro Bowl, instead of re-treads like ole' RayRay.

Killuh Ray would still make it, simply because he gets 17 tackles credited to him at M&T just for dressing.

suitanim
12-29-2011, 05:35 AM
Oh, and on the FA thing, Al Davis is dead. If he were alive, he'd offer 30 million a year for Mike Wallace AND his next 5 first round draft picks to the Steelers. And, yes, I KNOW it's not a trade...He'd do it anyway. Wallace is the living embodiment of an Al Davis wet dream...

86WARD
12-29-2011, 07:31 AM
A poison pill contract could do the Steelers in as well...don't forget about that. To be honest, I'd rather keep Wallace than get the 1 and 3...he's more valuable than that IMO.

X-Terminator
12-29-2011, 08:22 AM
A poison pill contract could do the Steelers in as well...don't forget about that. To be honest, I'd rather keep Wallace than get the 1 and 3...he's more valuable than that IMO.

If a team wants to blow up their salary cap with a poison pill contract for Wallace, I say let them. The Steelers will take their 2 first-round picks and do what they always do - draft high-end talent that will help them continue their winning tradition. Plus, who out there is going to take that chance? The Eagles learned their lesson, and I think Danny Boy has as well. You can't overpay for players thinking you can buy a championship. It simply does not happen in the NFL today. You either build through the draft, or end up like the Redskins.