PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers team report: Playing Roethlisberger preferred

polamalubeast
12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers would like to play Ben Roethlisberger against the Browns, but not the entire game, if possible.

Roethlisberger dressed but did not play in the shutout victory against the Rams and the Steelers don’t want him to go two weeks without playing before the playoffs. However, they want to be sure his high-ankle sprain has enough time to rest, especially after he played the entire game in San Francisco just one week after sustaining the injury.

Since he injured his ankle Dec. 8 against the Browns, the Steelers managed just one touchdown and 10 points in six quarters when he tried to play. Against the Rams, his replacement, Charlie Batch, passed for 202 yards and produced 27 points without an interception.

Meanwhile, complicating matters with the injury to Maurkice Pouncey, who has missed the past two games with a high-ankle sprain, is that his replacement, guard Doug Legursky, injured his left shoulder against the Rams on the second play and did not return.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-26/pittsburgh-steelers-team-report-playing-roethlisberger-preferred#ixzz1hgIwVTCm

polamalubeast
12-26-2011, 04:13 PM
It is important that Roethlisberger played since his performences against the 49ers was terrible and he must play a good game before the playoffs.

XxKnightxX
12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Let him play, shake off the rust. First bad sack and ill tighten the leash on him.

Craic
12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
If he is healthy enough to move in the pocket, then let him play... but I'd only play him one quarter at most.

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-26-2011, 06:53 PM
MAYBE one quarter.. I don't want those dirty Browns trying to injure Ben to screw our playoffs.

zulater
12-26-2011, 06:54 PM
It is important that Roethlisberger played since his performences against the 49ers was terrible and he must play a good game before the playoffs.

Ben's an 8 year veteran. He's not going to sulk because his last regular season action was poor. The important thing is getting him a good weeks worth of practice before our first playoff game, whenever that may be. Ben came out of the gates strong last year after his 4 game suspension. He wont be rusty if he can get something close to his normal weeks practice leading into our first playoff game.

If he can be a full participant in one or more practices this week, he should start against the Browns. If not, try to get him healthy for the playoffs. H'e not an untested kid. The 49ers game is well in his rear view mirror and has no relevance to any games coming up.

steelerdude15
12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I say continue to rest him.

The Duke
12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I still trust Charlie in this one

Seneca Wallace is less of a threat than Clemens. And Mendenhall should have another great day running against their pathetic run D

Steeldude
12-27-2011, 01:33 AM
dress him, but don't let him play unless he is really needed.

Count Steeler
12-27-2011, 05:34 AM
We shouldn't need him to beat the Browns. Keep the pressure on the D to keep performing.

If Ben is mobile, let him play 1 quarter max.

HometownGal
12-27-2011, 05:46 AM
If he is healthy enough to move in the pocket, then let him play... but I'd only play him one quarter at most.

This. ^^^^

Don't overdo it with Ben but let him get one good quarter in against the Browns to get him some quality playing time before the playoffs. :tt02:

BlacknGoldBabe
12-27-2011, 06:22 AM
This. ^^^^

Don't overdo it with Ben but let him get one good quarter in against the Browns to get him some quality playing time before the playoffs. :tt02:

I'll have to agree with this. As little game time as possible, but just enough to shake off the rust.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Start Batch and strategically use Ben only if absolutely necessary.

Ben healthy for the playoffs is the most important thing.

mortgageman
12-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Where is Ben in terms of his health right now? Because that is the most important thing. If he is 100% or near that, then he has to play. If he is not near 100%, then he has to sit.

suitanim
12-27-2011, 08:41 AM
A) Batch did throw a pick. Brown slipped on that play though...
B) McCoy will probably be back for the Browns.

No matter, Batch is fine as long as he gets reps in practice. The Browns have 4 wins this season. Their offense is terrible. Their defense is good, especially against the pass, but they can be run on. Batch can handle it...

polamalubeast
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
EdBouchetteEd Bouchette

Mike Tomlin said "hopefully" Ben Roethlisberger and Maurkice Pouncey will play vs. the Browns. Looks like Doug Legursky will not.

mortgageman
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
how serious is the Legursky injury? Bc of his health, we should probably sit Pouncey to ensure he's ok for the playoffs.

katmandu
12-27-2011, 03:22 PM
First bad sack and ill tighten the leash on him.That's the problem. It only takes ONE BAD sack.

katmandu
12-27-2011, 03:23 PM
B) McCoy will probably be back for the Browns.

So will James! :whip:

Moose
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
As I've stated in another thread, rest Ben for browns game, then late 4th qtr. bring Ben in so he can get some game time reps. and get his timing together for the playoffs. He's not going to need alot of time to recoup. GO STEELERS