PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Essex's football life changed because of a different kind of reception

zulater
12-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Essex's football life changed because of a different kind of reception

PITTSBURGH — The way Trai Essex sees it, July 23 was a life-changing day for he and Ben Roethlisberger.
On that day, Essex was among the many Steelers who helped Roethlisberger celebrate his wedding.
It was also a day when Essex realized that if he wanted to remain in pro football, he needed to get his life in order.
When Essex showed up for Roethlisberger’s wedding, his teammates almost couldn’t believe their eyes. They were shocked to see that Essex allowed himself to get fat and out of shape during the off-season. He weighed around 375 pounds, close to 50 pounds over his playing weight.
The Steelers coaches weren’t shocked and weren’t amused. They were disappointed. When camp started a week later, the Steelers were in no hurry to re-sign Essex, an unrestricted free agent.
Even though Essex had a terrific time at Roethlisberger’s wedding, he sensed that he was in deep trouble. He got the cold shoulder from his coaches. From that day forward, he dedicated himself to getting back in shape in hopes of getting one more chance.
On Aug. 22, he got that chance. He was the last of the Steelers’ free agents to sign.
Fast forward to Christmas Eve when the Steelers routed the Rams, and there was Essex turning out to be one of the surprise heroes.
“I particularly like the effort of Trai Essex,” coach Mike Tomlin said after the 27-0 romp.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-essex-s-football-life-changed-because-of-a-different/article_1bc8b18e-128f-5dcf-a006-ddb96622fe74.html

Well worth clicking the link and reading the entire story. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
12-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Good read and thanks for posting! It appears that Ben's wedding was a blessing in many, many ways!

Ashley=MVP!

The Duke
12-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm glad for him and all he's done this year as a backup, but I really hope he's not playing anymore this year except during a blowout win

Really, it’s Essex who’s been the poster child for Tomlin’s “next man up” and “the standard is the standard” mantras.

Early in his career, Essex was strictly a tackle. But in recent years as Tomlin continues to preach position flexibility, Essex has learned to play guard and center as well.

then hopefully they try the same with Colon next year. It's about time they try him at guard. With his nastiness I could see him do a good job as the 3 string center too :chuckle:

BlacknGoldBabe
12-26-2011, 06:25 AM
:rockon: Way to go, Trai!