PDA

View Full Version : Ben's a no-go

stillers4me
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1099965827/TweetLogo_normal.jpgSteelers Digest@SteelersDigest (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/SteelersDigest)14m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/SteelersDigest/status/150278876956868608)

Charlie Batch to start at QB for the Steelers vs. the Rams.

Count Steeler
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Hope Charlie had some good practice sessions. Need him now.

stillers4me
12-23-2011, 12:35 PM
This is what I hate about the IR rule. I bet Byron is ready to play. They should have a different injury system for players that get hurt in preseason.

Go go Charlie! :tt03:

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Good! I think we should be able to win this one without him. If not, oh well, we still have a better chance in the playoffs if Ben isn't limping.

If Ben can resume a semi normal practice schedule maybe they'll think about playing him against the Browns?

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
This is what I hate about the IR rule. I bet Byron is ready to play. They should have a different injury system for players that get hurt in preseason.

Go go Charlie! :tt03:

This is why they should have cut Dennis Dixon and held onto that last roster spot for Lefty imo.

7willBheaven
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Good. Lets go Charlie (and possibly Dixon...I'd like to see him in on some plays for the hell of it)

XxKnightxX
12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Good, Keep his ass out and make him watch the game. I know he doesnt like the film room and maybe hell learn something from watching.

Burghfan58
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I hope Charlie has enough confidence left as the coaching staff certainly seemed reluctant to use him last week in the wake of Ben's hobbled performance. If we can't beat St. Louie with Batch or Dixon and the weapons at their disposal then they shouldn't be on the roster.

Moose
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Good, rest up Ben ! I do wish Lefty was able to go, but Batch/Dixon shouldn't have any problems with the next 2 teams....GO STEELERS ! Heck, you never know, maybe the brownies will pull off a 'upset'......wouldn't that make a Merry Christmas for us all !!!

Nadroj 20
12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Great news!

Of course this means are offense will probably struggle (maybe we'll be surprised and they won't?) but at least Ben will be better rested for the post season.

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Leftwich isnt on the roster? Wasnt that him talking to Ben when the lights went out at Candlestick Park?

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Leftwich isnt on the roster? Wasnt that him talking to Ben when the lights went out at Candlestick Park?

Lefty is on IR. Injured players are still allowed to hang out on the sidelines.

86WARD
12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
If they can't rally around Batch and beat the Rams at home, they don't deserve a playoff spot.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Good! Hopefully, Pouncey, Woodley, and Sanders rest as well.

polamalubeast
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Good! Hopefully, Pouncey, Woodley, and Sanders rest as well.

and Harrison

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2011, 02:04 PM
and Harrison

True, but not for health reasons. Can't take the chance of him passing wind near a QB and getting a two game suspension this time.

steelerdude15
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm glad to hear this.

suitanim
12-23-2011, 02:34 PM
This is a wise choice. Batch is a servicable back-up. He throws a nice long ball. He's a veteran who has plenty of starting experience. We are playing a bad team.

We're good here...

smokin3000gt
12-23-2011, 02:43 PM
After watching Tomlin keep BR in the game last week, I'm a little surprised TBO that he's going to sit him. I'm glad he going to sit this one out, just a little surprised.

BlastFurnace
12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
and Harrison

True...heaven forbid he hits anyone the wrong way. The Steelers wouldn't have him for the playoffs.

Buckinnuts
12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Could this be Charlies last game at hienz field?

Carolina Steelers
12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
glad to hear this also, let him rest for playoffs. Feed the ball to Mendy, hit Hines on some screens defense make a splash play and we should be alright.

steelreserve
12-23-2011, 03:37 PM

They do have the PUP list that would let a guy come back after Week 6, but they only let you be on that if you have injuries from the previous season or the offseason; if you practice once in preseason, you can't go on the PUP list. If you ask me, they ought to expand it so that if you get hurt in preseason, you can go on that list instead of IR. Kind of a shitty way of doing things.

I also agree with the other guy who said we should have cut Dixon and kept a roster spot for Leftwich. We have gotten NO value out of Dixon this year; I don't think he's even been active on game day. Since they got rid of the old active-roster third quarterback rule, Dixon has become irrelevant to keep around.

stillers4me
12-23-2011, 03:38 PM

That was my thought, also.

Charlie has been a good backup and a well loved teammate. He deserves full support from all of Steelers nation tomorrow! :tt03:

GodfatherofSoul
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Charlie's had about 2 weeks of reps, so I feel pretty confident.

st33lersguy
12-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Good move, Ben needs to rest and he was more of a liability than a help

Godfather
12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
They really need to create a disabled list like baseball. Maybe have a 2, 6, and 8 game list and let anything more be IR.

HometownGal
12-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Gawd I sure hope so. :pray:

I understand why the coaches are doing this and hope Botch gets the job done. My stomach will still be in knots though like it is every time he has to come in for Ben. :horror:

Count Steeler
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Time for the defense to play a statement game. We went 3-1 at the beginning of last year because of great defense. Dial it up for the playoffs run.

SteelGhost
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I HOPE :pray: Mendenhall and Redman share the load of the offense, the less Batch throws the ball, the better.

stillers4me
12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I HOPE :pray: Mendenhall and Redman share the load of the offense, the less Batch throws the ball, the better.

I hope we don't "run the wheels off" the last two running backs we have left.

Craic
12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
They really need to create a disabled list like baseball. Maybe have a 2, 6, and 8 game list and let anything more be IR.

I have looked into it, but IMO, I think the reason they do that is so that teams can't stash a player until other teams have made their roster moves, then bring him out and cut him, so that they can pick him up in a few weeks if someone gets injured. I think it falls more in line with the "veterans can't be on the practice squad" rule. Either they play, or they get the freedom to go somewhere else and play.

Otherwise, it'd be just like basketball.

"Hey coach."
"Hey Johnny, bad news."
"What's that coach?"
"You didn't hear? You have a brain cloud. It'll take a week and a half to heal. You're on the injured list for now."
"Really? How you determine that?"
"Have you seen the your stat sheet the last four games? Good luck with your injury son."

EDIT: Oops, I meant to say, "I haven't looked into it"

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I hate Batch's weak arm. Would rather see Dixon, but hopefully defense and a run game pulls it out.

vader29
12-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Arians is going to go 5 wide every play. :chuckle:

BlacknGoldBabe
12-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Time for the defense to play a statement game. We went 3-1 at the beginning of last year because of great defense. Dial it up for the playoffs run.

The D has had plenty enough time to watch the film. Hope they dial the right number and the play calls keep the ball out of Botchy boy's hands enough to win the game.

suitanim
12-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Not sure why all the Batch hate...he'll be fine.

Buckinnuts
12-24-2011, 09:10 AM
mendenhall couldn't "run the wheels off" of a tricycle...at least not this year

X-Terminator
12-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Not sure why all the Batch hate...he'll be fine.

It's not hate, it's just that he sucks balls, and there's a reason why up until now he hasn't started despite Ben's injury. That said, I still think he should have started Monday night instead of Ben.

katmandu
12-24-2011, 10:19 AM
mendenhall couldn't "run the wheels off" of a tricycle...at least not this year50% OL's fault as well...

Nadroj 20
12-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Maybe we will see some of Dixon if the Offense sucks completely?

Run a college offense for a game :chuckle:

LLT
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM

St Louis has the worst run defense in the league...If you have Mendy on your FF roster....better start him.

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Against the worst run defense in the league though, I hope we can gash the shit out of them with whatever carries they get.

SteelerFanInStl
12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Ben needs to sit these last two games and get healthy for the playoffs. If we can't beat the Rams at home with Batch and DD then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. The Rams have nothing to play for and are actually better off losing their last two games since it could help with their draft position.

I just want to see a heavy dose of Mendy and Isaac today with some short passes thrown in. Those quick slants to Wallace and Brown could turn in to big gainers against the Rams D.

Buckinnuts
12-24-2011, 03:09 PM
mendenhall couldn't "run the wheels off" of a tricycle...at least not this year
well he surprised me even though it was the worse team against the rush....good job

zulater
12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Can you make a legitimate second guess now as to whether the Steelers would have had a better chance to beat the 49'ers with Batch instead of Ben last week?
I mean the turnovers are what did us in. Had we just allowed CB to go out there and game manage maybe the game comes back to us?

HometownGal
12-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Can you make a legitimate second guess now as to whether the Steelers would have had a better chance to beat the 49'ers with Batch instead of Ben last week?
I mean the turnovers are what did us in. Had we just allowed CB to go out there and game manage maybe the game comes back to us?

The 49ers D is far better than the Rams D so I wouldn't bet the farm on that assumption.

suitanim
12-25-2011, 06:05 AM
As predicted, Batch was fine. The one pick, the WR slipped. He's good enough to beat the Browns...

zulater
12-25-2011, 08:47 AM
The 49ers D is far better than the Rams D so I wouldn't bet the farm on that assumption.

It wasn't an assumption, it was a thought. And while I realize the Rams are awful and the game was in Pittsburgh as opposed to the Niners in Frisco, I still think we would have had a better chance with a healthy Charlie Batch with a full week of practice reps being a game manager, than a limping Ben, who wasn't healthy enough to take a legitimate practice rep, and thus became a turnover machine playing. The 49ers only produced 7 points that were unaided by Steeler turnovers.

And please no one take this as a second guess, because for one, I advocated all week going into that game to sit Ben. I figured he couldn't duplicate the quality of his play against the Browns because that's the sort of injury that gets worse in the short term. That said I understood the Steelers starting Ben, and didn't and wont berate the decision to play him that day.

But still it makes for an interesting what if?

Somehow Charlie Batch always manages to win or keep us close when he starts. Even against better competition. Let's not forget he helped this team get some quality wins last season against teams that had some game.