PDA

View Full Version : Ward's final home game?

polamalubeast
12-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Hines Ward has no plans to retire after this season and said if he does not play for the Steelers in 2012 it will not be his choice.

Ward has no special plans to take a moment to relish what could be his final game Saturday at Heinz Field in a dazzling, record-setting 14-year career.

"I have two years left on my contract," Ward said, counting this one. "I'm not even thinking that this is my last one. If the organization decides to, I have no control over that. But, for me, I'm not even thinking this is my last game ever [at Heinz Field].

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11357/1198834-66-0.stm#ixzz1hN7U3BZU

zulater
12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
If Hines really wants to retire a Steelers to prove it he's going to have to accept a reduced wage. Personally though I think the Steelers will just release him. Sad as it might be, your 5th receiver has to play special teams and come cheap. Ward does neither.

suitanim
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
When the Rats lose in Cincy, we'll be hosting a divisional game. Nothing to see here...move along....

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2011, 09:57 AM
When the Rats lose in Cincy, we'll be hosting a divisional game. Nothing to see here...move along....
That is assuming that we don't start Charlie Batch on saturday and lose to the Rams at home.

suitanim
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
That is assuming that we don't start Charlie Batch on saturday and lose to the Rams at home.

If Batch gets some reps he'll be fine. We aren't going to lose to the Rams. IF we had beaten the Niners there would be a small chance, but this team will be angry.

polamalubeast
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
if the steelers lose against the Rams, it will be the end of the world!

Pristas
12-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Hines could be a starter for 90% of the teams in the NFL. Just not ours anymore. He will play, and probably get paid. I could see him going to another team to end his career with a talented young QB, getting all of his records, and still being a hometown favorite after he retires. Nobody would be pissed at him for leaving when his talent is not being used. He will always be a Steeler.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

man you have a way of making me smile sometimes :)

Butch
12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I always knew Hines would see out this current contract so this statement really doesn't surprise me. I am puzzled why we have not thrown passes his way much this year and can't help but wonder if there has been some sort of falling out between Hines and Ben.

Hines has always been an inspiration to this team, I can only hope he is suited up in Pittsburgh again next year. If we lose Hines I will be extremely disappointed in the Steelers organization.

zulater
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I always knew Hines would see out this current contract so this statement really doesn't surprise me. I am puzzled why we have not thrown passes his way much this year and can't help but wonder if there has been some sort of falling out between Hines and Ben.

Hines has always been an inspiration to this team, I can only hope he is suited up in Pittsburgh again next year. If we lose Hines I will be extremely disappointed in the Steelers organization.

Father time is undefeated. Ben has nothing against Hines, he just throws to the receivers who get open when he sees them.

And the Steelers have payed Hines handsomely for his services. If they see the need to move on, how can you not respect that? In a salary cap driven league you can't pay for past accomplishments.

steelreserve
12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Well, that settles it; there's only one way to avoid an awkward situation. Win the Super Bowl so he can retire and go out on top, like he's been saying he would for the last couple years. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Butch
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Father time is undefeated. Ben has nothing against Hines, he just throws to the receivers who get open when he sees them.

And the Steelers have payed Hines handsomely for his services. If they see the need to move on, how can you not respect that? In a salary cap driven league you can't pay for past accomplishments.

The Steelers have paid him what they agreed to pay him and they based it on how he performed in the past, nobody pointed a gun to their heads forcing them to make any kind of rash decision. The fact that Hines continues to starts all these games means that he still has not been replaced as a valued member of this team!!!

Father time has nothing to do with it, Hines hasn't lost a step because he never had one to begin with. He still goes over the middle and he still gets open. I saw many times last week where Hines was open but Ben decided to throw the other way and many times into coverage. Maybe Ben needs to get his eyes checked I don't know but I can't help but think there is more to this than we will ever know.

IMHO Hines has proven his value as a clutch reciever and has not shown me any signs that his performance is slipping. I find it hard to believe that Ben couldn't find him even once last week very hard to beleive.

zulater
12-23-2011, 11:41 AM
The Steelers have paid him what they agreed to pay him and they based it on how he performed in the past, nobody pointed a gun to their heads forcing them to make any kind of rash decision. The fact that Hines continues to starts all these games means that he still has not been replaced as a valued member of this team!!!

Father time has nothing to do with it, Hines hasn't lost a step because he never had one to begin with. He still goes over the middle and he still gets open. I saw many times last week where Hines was open but Ben decided to throw the other way and many times into coverage. Maybe Ben needs to get his eyes checked I don't know but I can't help but think there is more to this than we will ever know.

IMHO Hines has proven his value as a clutch reciever and has not shown me any signs that his performance is slipping. I find it hard to believe that Ben couldn't find him even once last week very hard to beleive.

You're about the only one. No sense talking to a zealot. Enjoy following Hines wherever he may end up next year.

Count Steeler
12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Ben has deep passing itis. Miller has been under utilized this year as well. You want to tell Miller is not getting open as well? The 10-15 yard over the middle pass has been vacated by the offense this year.

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Several points before this thread goes where it needn't go.

I love Hines. I hope he gets his 1000 catch in the next 2 games. I hope he retires as a Steeler.

If he decides to come back next season I predict it wont go well, and it wont be as a Steeler. That's not a wish, just a prediction based on my observations of his play this year.

To the point Hines never had speed. Wrong. He never had elite speed, but he had excellent quickness, and great reaction to the ball. I've seen several plays this year where he came away a half step short on a pass that he would have previously caught. He's also not getting open nearly as often as the Steelers other receivers, and that's why his playing time has decreased as the season's gone on.

Finally, the contract Hines signed with the Steelers was not guaranteed, as is the case with most NFL contracts. Hines knew this when he signed, he knew that other than the signing bonus and the first couple seasons the rest was subject to his ability to continue to play at a high level in order to collect.

Hines Ward's contract for the 2012 season is too rich for a number 5 receiver. The number 5 receiver also needs to play special teams. The Steelers will not ask Hines to take a reduced salary. They never have and never will. ( don't confuse this with restructuring a contract, where all the money the contract calls for is eventually paid). Therefore any realistic Steelers fan should understand and accept the fact that Hines Ward is at the end of his Steelers career.

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Hines could be a starter for 90% of the teams in the NFL

lol

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Ben has deep passing itis. Miller has been under utilized this year as well. You want to tell Miller is not getting open as well? The 10-15 yard over the middle pass has been vacated by the offense this year.

Miller's caught 48 passes including 5 last week.

smokin3000gt
12-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I see him sticking around until the end of his contract, even if it is at reduced pay/roll. He may not get a contract renewal but will most likely retire a Steeler before he goes to another team. JMO

Count Steeler
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Miller's caught 48 passes including 5 last week.

That is surprising. Just doesn't seem like he is as big a part of the offense as in the past. I know he was being used more for blocking purposes earlier this year, because of our splendid O Line.

Count Steeler
12-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't mind if he stuck around as WR coach.

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
I see him sticking around until the end of his contract, even if it is at reduced pay/roll. He may not get a contract renewal but will most likely retire a Steeler before he goes to another team. JMO

To the best of my knowledge and memory the Steelers have never reduced a veterans salary off an existing contract. There's a reason for that, and I don't see a change of precedent coming about here.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, that settles it; there's only one way to avoid an awkward situation. Win the Super Bowl so he can retire and go out on top, like he's been saying he would for the last couple years. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Agreed, in fact that is the ONLY acceptable solution to the problem. I will expect nothing less.

Butch
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
You're about the only one. No sense talking to a zealot. Enjoy following Hines wherever he may end up next year.

Yeah ok Zulater I should have known you would try pull something like this when you can't argue a point any further. I guess it only matters what you think nobody else need reply. I guess when you can't come up with anything better you lamely throw out a lable and tell people that they are the only ones who think the way they do. I will enjoy watching Hines no matter where he plays just hope you can handle it if he's still in a Steelers uniform next year.

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't mind if he stuck around as WR coach.

I doubt it. Not that he wouldn't value there, but a wr coach probably doesn't make close to even NFL veterans minimum. To much of a pay drop for Hines. He'll either be on another teams roster ( imo) or in the booth or studio for one of the networks,.

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah ok Zulater I should have known you would try pull something like this when you can't argue a point any further. I guess it only matters what you think nobody else need reply. I guess when you can't come up with anything better you lamely throw out a lable and tell people that they are the only ones who think the way they do. I will enjoy watching Hines no matter where he plays just hope you can handle it if he's still in a Steelers uniform next year.

I very much doubt he will be Butch, but if he is, I'll support him and hope that his play improves next year.

Hindes204
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
He'll be back as a Steeler next year

zulater
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
He'll be back as a Steeler next year

It's as much about the money as production. In a league with a salary cap, with important decisions to make on any number of free agents, and players coming to the end of their contract that will need to be extended, how exactly do the Steelers rationalize paying a 5th receiver who doesn't play special teams 5 million dollars?

Shoes
12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Hines should go out in grace and retire after this season.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2011, 01:21 PM

I really don't think any of this is due to a falling out between Ben and Hines. Ben doesn't decide the depth chart, the coaches do. Also I've seen quite a few bubble screens to Hines that are clearly just to increase his number of receptions. When you think about it, using the bubble is screen is a much better percentage play to Wallace or Brown since those guys are so much faster. Plus Hines is still the best blocking WR on the team which makes it doubly bad to throw that screen to him. You take him out of the play in the capacity where he serves best.

I feel your pain when it comes to Hines. He is everything you want a Steeler to be and more. Like you, I figured Hines could play for a few more years as long as he stayed healthy since break away speed has never been his bread and butter. But as others have pointed out, he seems to have lost a bit of his quickness (which is different than flat out speed) and that tiniest of slips has made the difference between him getting open or not.

I'd hate to see him in another uniform ever, but I wouldn't begrudge him anything if he could find a place where he was allowed to keep playing. He is now and forever will be a Steeler in all of our hearts.

Moose
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
At this time of year-- End of season, playoffs right around the corner, Christmas,etc., I hate to even think of this type of stuff. It's way too early to even think of what is going to happen to Hines and other players. I personally hope that Hines is in the black/yellow and remains there until he retires. Even though he doesn't contribute on the field every game, isn't saying his wisdom isn't being used by teaching/telling the younger receivers what to do during the game, what to watch for, how to jig/jag to get in the open, etc., etc.. I would hope Hines would do what the Bus did in his ending years. Maybe Hines will take a pay cut to help the team, stay and be an extra if needed, and teach the youngsters. Maybe after retirement he could find an opening in the coaching ( receivers) and continue to help the Steeler's. I hate the thought of seeing him in another uniform ( ie Woodson), and I really don't think he wants to leave. I know it's all a business and in most cases about the money, but I think Hines is more of a player than concerned about business. Like I said earlier though, I just can't get myself to be worried about what Hines may do right now, as I'm pretty sure that Hines isn't thinking about it yet. Playoffs, Super Bowl is more important now. GO Steelers

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
At this time of year-- End of season, playoffs right around the corner, Christmas,etc., I hate to even think of this type of stuff. It's way too early to even think of what is going to happen to Hines and other players. I personally hope that Hines is in the black/yellow and remains there until he retires. Even though he doesn't contribute on the field every game, isn't saying his wisdom isn't being used by teaching/telling the younger receivers what to do during the game, what to watch for, how to jig/jag to get in the open, etc., etc.. I would hope Hines would do what the Bus did in his ending years. Maybe Hines will take a pay cut to help the team, stay and be an extra if needed, and teach the youngsters. Maybe after retirement he could find an opening in the coaching ( receivers) and continue to help the Steeler's. I hate the thought of seeing him in another uniform ( ie Woodson), and I really don't think he wants to leave. I know it's all a business and in most cases about the money, but I think Hines is more of a player than concerned about business. Like I said earlier though, I just can't get myself to be worried about what Hines may do right now, as I'm pretty sure that Hines isn't thinking about it yet. Playoffs, Super Bowl is more important now. GO Steelers

As Zu said, he won't stick around to coach. He's a natural for TV and he'll have many offers after he retires.

86WARD
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
The number 5 receiver also needs to play special teams. The Steelers will not ask Hines to take a reduced salary. They never have and never will. ( don't confuse this with restructuring a contract, where all the money the contract calls for is eventually paid). Therefore any realistic Steelers fan should understand and accept the fact that Hines Ward is at the end of his Steelers career.
And this is why he won't return. He won't play special teams and he most likely can't. Maybe they could keep him around and have Sanders play special teams...I doubt it. He'll find a gig pretty quickly somewhere and be an average receiver. He could easily be a number three guy on a bunch of teams...it won't go horribly wrong as some suggest. To say that is just hating...

GodfatherofSoul
12-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I think this is his last season. Hate to say it, but I've seen a lot of plays where he just jogs out to spots in zones. The enthusiasm level just isn't there anymore.