PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sources: Roethlisberger might sit rest of regular season

polamalubeast
12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254512c/article/steelers-sources-roethlisberger-might-sit-rest-of-regular-season?module=HP11_headline_stack

polamalubeast
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Report: Steelers officials 'would be shocked' if Ben Roethlisberger plays

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=3781

salamander
12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I'd rather see him healthy for the playoffs.

SCSTILLER
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelreserve
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
We still need to win these games. I don't want to see us back into the playoffs, and it would also be good if Ben didn't have three weeks' worth of rust.

Batch may be fine against the Rams, but I'd like to see him on a short leash if he's ineffective and Ben is even close to ready. I think at a bare minimum, Ben needs to get at least a couple quarters of live action in the Browns game, so that we're not in a situation where he hasn't seen the field for the better part of a month. If his ankle's not even good enough to do that, we've got problems regardless.

tube517
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Hines get some snaps in practice.

Batch will get sacked on the first play and be out for the rest of 2012.

Dixon will throw 5 picks in the 1st quarter.

steel striker
12-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Ben needs to get some what healthy for the playoffs.

mortgageman
12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
The most important thing is that he rests his ankle. It got no worse after this Monday's game, so it may be at or near 100% for the Browns game. If he is near 100%, he should play in that game bc if he doesnt, his first snap in the playoffs will be his first one in 3 weeks or so, which may be an issue. If he is not close to 100% by next week, he has to sit. I think most of our players should play next week, but only for a portion of the game. Maybe limit the snaps of players at key positions. I dont want them to sit completely bc I've noticed coming off of bye weeks is not our strong suit, so they need to play a little.

suitanim
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Batch needs to take snaps with the 1st team. He's not going to take the same sacks that Ben would because he'll just throw the ball away. He's rusty, but we can fix that...

The WH
12-21-2011, 04:04 PM
When you are as good as Ben Roethlisberger I don't think 3 weeks of not playing is going to do anything to hurt him.

I just really wish I didn't have to watch Pittsburgh piss away a possible 2 seed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I will be surprised if he doesnt play. Should be some indication by who is taking snaps in practice unless practice is closed to the media.

zulater
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
All Ben needs is a full and relatively healthy week of practice going into our first playoff game and he'll be fine.

zulater
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I will be surprised if he doesnt play. Should be some indication by who is taking snaps in practice unless practice is closed to the media.

Ben barely practiced last week, so who knows? My guess is Art III or Colbert has strongly suggested to Tomlin that Ben needs to be fully healthy or close to it before he takes another regular season snap.

He'll sit, whether he likes it or not.

stillers4me
12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, personally, I hope he plays at least part of the game. My brother has tickets to this game, his very first Steelers game. I'd hate to think he'd basically be seeing preseason game.

Chidi29
12-21-2011, 04:41 PM
If you're going to sit him, I see two scenarios.

Sit him for the rest of the year, get the ankle as much rest as possible for the playoffs. But like steelreserve said, you now have a QB that will be cold coming into the playoffs and possibly the offense as a whole being without their QB for the final two games of the year.

Play him this week and sit him Week 17. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sit him this week and play him against the Browns. The ankle isn't going to heal in one week (no matter what we do, it'll probably bother him for the rest of the year. High ankle sprains are nasty and don't go away overnight) so you're stil putting a slightly less hobbled Ben back out on the playing field Week 17 and let the soreness creep back in before the playoffs.

Play him this week with the decision to sit him against the Browns already in mind. Then he gets a solid ten days off before I'd put him back on the practice field (The Wedensday before the first playoff game, giving him three days of practice and a Saturday walkthrough).

SteelGhost
12-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Sit him for the rest of the year, get the ankle as much rest as possible for the playoffs. But like steelreserve said, you now have a QB that will be cold coming into the playoffs and possibly the offense as a whole being without their QB for the final two games of the year.

Play him this week and sit him Week 17. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sit him this week and play him against the Browns. The ankle isn't going to heal in one week (no matter what we do, it'll probably bother him for the rest of the year. High ankle sprains are nasty and don't go away overnight) so you're stil putting a slightly less hobbled Ben back out on the playing field Week 17 and let the soreness creep back in before the playoffs.

Play him this week with the decision to sit him against the Browns already in mind. Then he gets a solid ten days off before I'd put him back on the practice field (The Wedensday before the first playoff game, giving him three days of practice and a Saturday walkthrough).

This sounds right Chidi

ALLD
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Our biggest need has not changed in several seasons. We need pedigree OL.

zulater
12-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Big Ben also refuted a published report that he would sit out the last two regular-season games, saying he felt better than he thought he would and expected to play Saturday against the 2-12 Rams. "I drink a lot of milk," he jokingly said.

Read more: Steelers QB Roethlisberger stands by coach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773157.html#ixzz1hEqRUlWQ

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Read more: Steelers QB Roethlisberger stands by coach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773157.html#ixzz1hEqRUlWQ

NFL.com fails once again

NCSteeler
12-22-2011, 01:02 AM
We still need to win these games. I don't want to see us back into the playoffs, and it would also be good if Ben didn't have three weeks' worth of rust.

Batch may be fine against the Rams, but I'd like to see him on a short leash if he's ineffective and Ben is even close to ready. I think at a bare minimum, Ben needs to get at least a couple quarters of live action in the Browns game, so that we're not in a situation where he hasn't seen the field for the better part of a month. If his ankle's not even good enough to do that, we've got problems regardless.

I fully aqgree if Ben is close he needs game action against brown, Ben is notoriously a rusty player without games and practice

NCSteeler
12-22-2011, 01:06 AM

Chidi , I would actually prefer the opposite. He sits this week, if we win you consider starting him in Cleveland with the possibility that the rats lose to cincy. But either way I would want him to get some game action with the WRs in the Cleveland game. It's a shame that we play before rats next week, it would make it a lot easier to know that outcome first.

BigNastyDefense
12-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I would damn sure sit him against the Rams, we can beat the Rams without him....I don't know how the hell the Rams beat the Saints.

Against the Browns, if Ben is near healthy, I think he needs to start and play at least a couple quarters so he isn't rusty going into the Playoffs. Once we get a decent lead, take him out so he doesn't get hurt on a cheap shot & becomes lost for part or all of the playoffs. We could still win the division in the last week of the season if the Ravens lose, then we'd end up with the #3 seed.

Butch
12-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Sit him down and let the ankle get better, we will be fine with the backups for the next 2 games.

HometownGal
12-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Me too, as much as I hate seeing Botch behind center. :horror:

polamalubeast
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has sat out Thursday's practice to rest his sprained left ankle and will be a game-time decision when the Steelers face St. Louis on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7380685/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-sits-practice-rest-ankle

steel striker
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Come on tomlin Save Ben from himself and, let him rest this week.

86WARD
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I endorse this.

Chidi29
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Chidi , I would actually prefer the opposite. He sits this week, if we win you consider starting him in Cleveland with the possibility that the rats lose to cincy. But either way I would want him to get some game action with the WRs in the Cleveland game. It's a shame that we play before rats next week, it would make it a lot easier to know that outcome first.

From the injury standpoint, it doesn't make nearly as much sense to take that approach. Which is the central issue, no?

From the playoff standpoint, I get what you're saying, but like you said, we won't know the outcome and if we have a chance at the division.

polamalubeast
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Big Ben in 'here and now,' hopes to play for Steelers vs. Rams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ef73/article/big-ben-in-here-and-now-hopes-to-play-for-steelers-vs-rams?module=HP11_headline_stack

zulater
12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Big Ben in 'here and now,' hopes to play for Steelers vs. Rams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ef73/article/big-ben-in-here-and-now-hopes-to-play-for-steelers-vs-rams?module=HP11_headline_stack

Hopefully someone above him will see to it he doesn't. He needs to get healthy for the playoffs. Going out there week after week will slow the healing process.

SteelerEmpire
12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
He might not still be healthy for the playoffs if they rest him. And if they rest him, will his skills diminish because he hasn't been practicing/playing enough ? He's got to be ready to play at a high level to have a successful "on the road" playoff run. Hopefully he can pull it off whatever road he decides to take.

zulater
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
When Ben came back after his suspension he didn't look particularly rusty to me. He can sit a couple weeks and he wont get rusty. I think it's more important that he gets a quality weeks worth or practice reps going into our first playoff game ( whenever that may be?) than game reps three of four weeks out.