PDA

View Full Version : Don't assume the division is lost!

zulater
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
The only thing last night's loss assured is that the Steelers have no chance at the #1 seed, and not much shot at gaining a bye. But the division title, and with it a home playoff game is still very much in play.

Think we've struggled on the road this year? Well so have the Ravens, and guess what, they get a trip to Cincinnati to end their season. Were it not for a couple fortuitous calls the Bengals would have beat the Ravens in Baltimore. As it was they racked up nearly 500 yards of total offense in the loss. And the Bengals probably will be playing for their own shot at a wildcard berth, so you figure they'll come with everything they've got

Now of course we could screw it all up by losing one of these next two games. But for those of you that are endorsing the, sit everyone approach to the final two games. Not so fast my friends!

Don't get me wrong, I fully advocate sitting Ben for the remainder of the regular season. No matter where we play he needs to be healthy once we get to the playoffs. Until he's able to step into his throws with authority and be a full participant in practice there should be no thought of him returning for regular season action.

But c'mon, we're playing the freaking Rams and Browns and their back up qb's the next two weeks! If Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon can't beat the Rams and Browns back ups then they don't belong in the league!

Now of course that's a real possibility. But somehow, someway, if you give CB, and DD a week's worth of repetitions and you've got the Steelers roster, you've got to be able to find a way to come out with victories against Kellen Clemens and Seneca Wallace!!!

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
It depends on the Bengals in week 16 and the Steelers defense to step up and shut down two bad QB's...something that I will believe when I see it.

XxKnightxX
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I think what makes this loss so bitter is

1. We lost the last good shot at controlling our destiny
2. Lost a big MNF game against a team that lost to the Cardinals
3. we lost to another Harbaugh, making it 0-3 against Harbaughs, and dont deny it, it would of felt GREAT to beat him

Im over it, i never got mad or anything after the game, upset for an hour, but then all the shit talking niner fans and Jets fans coming after me made me feel how GREAT of a franchise we are, and how were blessed to be so consistent and competitive year in and year out, and how jealous these other fuckheads are. They act like they never won something before, and thats because, they havent. Can we beat the other teams with backups? yeah absolutely, but The Steelers MUST take advantage of opportunities when given to them.

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
There's always the chance the Ravens could lose against the Bengals.

XxKnightxX
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Yeah, BUT, gotta handle our own business first , should be interesting, both teams playing at 1. I hope they keep it that way, I can see the Bengals game or the Dolphins game being flexed out to the SNF slot

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, BUT, gotta handle our own business first , should be interesting, both teams playing at 1. I hope they keep it that way, I can see the Bengals game or the Dolphins game being flexed out to the SNF slot
Let's go Steelers. Lets take care of our business.

zulater
12-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Huge chance! I think it will happen in fact.

In all honestly I'm more worried about us slipping up in one of our games. I'm worried that the Steelers will take the attitude that all was lost this week and come out flat against the Rams. :horror: Given we played on Monday 2000 miles from home, and the Rams played Sunday in St. Louis tghey've got a two day advantage over us coming in.

I understand the problem Christmas coming on a Sunday posed and how the league wanted to play only one game on the holiday. But what they should have done is instead of playing the stupid Thursday night game on Saturday bullshit ( Cowboys- Bucs) after already having a Thursday game, they should have made the Monday night game on Saturday. Stupid fucking Goodell and his god damn greed!

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Huge chance! I think it will happen in fact.

In all honestly I'm more worried about us slipping up in one of our games. I'm worried that the Steelers will take the attitude that all was lost this week and come out flat against the Rams. :horror: Given we played on Monday 2000 miles from home, and the Rams played Sunday in St. Louis tghey've got a two day advantage over us coming in.

I understand the problem Christmas coming on a Sunday posed and how the league wanted to play only one game on the holiday. But what they should have done is instead of playing the stupid Thursday night game on Saturday bullshit ( Cowboys- Bucs) after already having a Thursday game, they should have made the Monday night game on Saturday. Stupid fucking Goodell and his god damn greed

It could very well happen, that would be a nice present to start the year.

fansince'76
12-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Can't help but operate under the assumption that we'll be a 5th seed. I'm cool with that, though. We seem to have dodged the SB loser curse by making the postseason at least. And I still think this team can do some damage in the postseason. This is a veteran group, many are playing on their last legs, they know what's at stake, and know that there is no next week in January - you win or go home.

suitanim
12-20-2011, 03:50 PM
I already said I EXPECTED us to lose (proof is in the pudding...only the second time this year I picked against the Steelers in my pick 'em) in SF...and for the Rats to lose in Cinci. Them losing to SD was icing. I also had the Texans dropping a game...now I think it may be two. Their QB sucks open ass.

I still think we win the division at 12-4 and the ratfilth at 11-5...but losing the homefield throughout could hurt. Depends who we play on the road...

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 04:23 PM
What's important is that we're in the playoffs, and if it's as a wild card, then fine. The reality in the postseason is the same no matter who you are: You have to play your best football in EVERY GAME, and whether you're the #1 seed or the #6 seed doesn't change that. Quite possible for any team to catch fire or tank out.

I think the real danger for us is if we get frustrated and lose focus over the final two games, and back into the playoffs. It's important for use to try and regain some momentum here, and reaming the Rams and Browns violently in the cornhole would be a great way to do it.

Craic
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Personally, I'd rather have us go in as a fifth seed while sitting Ben and a few others in the next game, then giving them about a half games' work the following game. Heck, I'd love for us (though I don't believe it's possible) to drop to the sixth seed and go up to New England. They played bad coming out of the bye week and we need to get the "Pats* Playoff Monkey" off our backs.

Edman
12-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Steelers and Ravens play the Rams and Browns respectively next week. Two crap teams coming to their place and fresh off a loss. They should be able to handle them. All the Steelers need to do is put the MNF debacle behind them and stay the course. That's all they can do.

The division just may be decided in the final week. The Steelers @ Cleveland and the Ravens @ Cincinnati. Cincy and San Diego are the two most probable losses the Ravens could suffer in this stretch.

But I already bracing for the 5th seed. Last Night's game was very disheartening.

zulater
12-20-2011, 07:23 PM
If the Steelers do manage to win the division the possibility would be very real that they would in fact host two AFC playoff games ,including the AFC Championship game were they to advance that far. Think about it. The Steelers would be the 3 seed, the Ravens the 5. So say the Steelers as the 3 seed face and beat the Bengals, and the Ravens as the 5 trounce the Broncos. Then the Steelers would go to the Texans and win, and the Ravens would go to the Patriots, and who knows?

Just saying. Certainly something to think about, and certainly kills the argument that the last two games are meaningless.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
I think the Steelers have a better statistical chance of beating the Rams and Browns than the Ravens do beating the Browns and the Bengals. Having said that, I feel that Baltimore will win both games and win the AFCN crown. But I would not be overly surprised if they ended up 11-5.

zulater
12-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I think the Steelers have a better statistical chance of beating the Rams and Browns than the Ravens do beating the Browns and the Bengals. Having said that, I feel that Baltimore will win both games and win the AFCN crown. But I would not be overly surprised if they ended up 11-5.

I honestly think it's a coin toss at this point. A lot might come down to how the Bengals do this week against the suddenly hot Cardinals in Cincy. If they lose that game I would imagine they wont put up much fight against the Crows. But win it, and I think they can give the Ravens all their worth.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
They have completely lost sight of the fact that Ben's health going into the playoffs IS more important than a first round bye. Period.

Their inability to look at the bigger picture is absolutely mind boggling.

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Depends who we play on the road...

Oh come, deep down almost all of use want to play "Them" on the road and beat them in the AFC Title Game on their Home Field after the way they beat us 2 times on ours...come on...admit it...that's the "daydream" scenario...beating "Them" on their turf and going to the SB to then take vengence on the Packers.

polamalubeast
12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Players' health is more important to me right now.

We must not be his as in 2007 when the injury has ruined the season.

suitanim
12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh come, deep down almost all of use want to play "Them" on the road and beat them in the AFC Title Game on their Home Field after the way they beat us 2 times on ours...come on...admit it...that's the "daydream" scenario...beating "Them" on their turf and going to the SB to then take vengence on the Packers.

THEY will certainly be the number 1 seed, too...I mean, they have the Phins and the Bills left, and both at home. I don't see either of them knocking off the Pats...

If we have to play on the road, the best scenarios are in Denver (Tebow blows) or Houston (With Schaub I'd be worried, with Yates..........nah), and ending up playing the cheats in the AFCCG. Just hope they aren't back to stealing our radio frequencies again if that scenario plays out!

tube517
12-21-2011, 02:11 PM

The Ravens have a better shot than we do of winning the division as we limp to the playoffs. However, I think the disappointment would be bigger for the Raisins of losing the division than it is for us since they swept.

zulater
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
The Ravens have a better shot than we do of winning the division as we limp to the playoffs. However, I think the disappointment would be bigger for the Raisins of losing the division than it is for us since they swept.

Obviously the Ravens have the inside track, their fate is in their own hands. But at the same token it's not far fetched at all to believe they'll get beat by the Bengals in Cincy. It certainly gives the Steelers plenty of incentive to go full bore the final two weeks.

Well full bore, minus Ben. The Steelers should be able to win the next two without Ben.

suitanim
12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm almost positive they will lose to the Bengals. It's a bad match-up for the ratfilth. They'll be on the road against a team that can score points AND plays good defense.

polamalubeast
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Texans lost vs colts

If the Steelers finished first in their division, they will have a bye.

zulater
12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Texans lost vs colts

If the Steelers finished first in their division, they will have a bye.

So much for the last two games being meaningless.

polamalubeast
12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
It is very possible that the Steelers finished 12-4 without having a game at home,despite they have a better record than the Cowboys, Broncos and Texans.

The system is a joke.

Devilsdancefloor
12-22-2011, 10:41 PM
here is my only problem with the 5th seed as it is now we will have to go to denver and well ryan clark can not play there. I just watch the colts win, so maybe the browns can stepup against the ratbirds, but first we gotta take care of our business and not worry about the others

polamalubeast
12-22-2011, 10:49 PM
here is my only problem with the 5th seed as it is now we will have to go to denver and well ryan clark can not play there. I just watch the colts win, so maybe the browns can stepup against the ratbirds, but first we gotta take care of our business and not worry about the others

Against the Texans, it would be a trap game.Wade Phillips was not with the team in the last two game and it had an impact.

Be careful, because in 2010, the Seahawks(7-9) won against the Saints.

katmandu
12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
They have completely lost sight of the fact that Ben's health going into the playoffs IS more important than a first round bye. Period.

Their inability to look at the bigger picture is absolutely mind boggling.Who is "THEY" ??

You mean TOMLIN. I'm rather shocked and very disappointed the he gave Ben the OPTION of allowing him to stay in the 49er's game. Should have been a no-brainer to yank Ben's ass after the game was done for.

Ben is a warrior and will go down dying. He does NOT know WHEN TO QUIT. To all his great qualities, this is a BAD thing.

katmandu
12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
here is my only problem with the 5th seed as it is now we will have to go to denver and well ryan clark can not play there.BS. He can too play there. He had his spleen REMOVED. There by eliminating his risk to his health.

Devilsdancefloor
12-23-2011, 01:18 AM
BS. He can too play there. He had his spleen REMOVED. There by eliminating his risk to his health.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4639495

yes i agree he has had it removed, but the last time we played there he did his duce staley impersonation on the sidelines

The Duke
12-23-2011, 02:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4639495

yes i agree he has had it removed, but the last time we played there he did his duce staley impersonation on the sidelines

exactly

If I remember correctly doctors have said he can play, but they simply err on the side of caution with such a delicate situation. And I hope they do it again if we do play denver

Bluecoat96
12-23-2011, 05:12 AM
BS. He can too play there. He had his spleen REMOVED. There by eliminating his risk to his health.

It's not how his spleen reacted that was the issue. It was how the sickle cell trait affected his spleen. The same thing could happen to something else with Ryan.

Crow-Magnon
12-23-2011, 06:53 AM
It is very possible that the Steelers finished 12-4 without having a game at home,despite they have a better record than the Cowboys, Broncos and Texans.

The system is a joke.

That happens every year. It is hard to win your division, so if you do, you get the benefit. I'm quite sure Pittsburgh has gotten a home playoff game in year's past when other teams have finished with a better W-L record, but did not win their division.

Butch
12-23-2011, 07:04 AM

The system is a joke.

Gotta agree with Crow on this. What would you think if a team that had an easier schedule and won more games got a home game over a team that played well but had a much tougher schedule??? I also think it's a helluva lot better than what they have in college.

This thing happens every year, I remember the cheats fans squaking about this a few years back. It is what it is I got no problem with it.

zulater
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
No doubt the Steelers have benefited in the past from the NFL's goofy playoff system. But that doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean that at some point the NFL shouldn't address and rectify it. Obviously it's a moot point this year. But to me going foward they should change it.

They should still keep the qualifying system in place. Winning your division always needs to be rewarded with a playoff berth no matter your record.

But do like the NHL and NBA and give the home field advantage to the team with the superior record once you start into the process. There's no way that 7-9 Seattle should have hosted the Saints last year. A couple years back they even changed the OT playoff rules because the 8-8 Chargers beat a superior Colt team in a game they had no business hosting based on earned merit of regular season play. So who knows, maybe if they would have rectified this inequity they never would have changed a rule that didn't need to be addressed?

suitanim
12-23-2011, 09:28 AM
This is all playing out according to my plans....and to think, they laughed at me back at the Institute. "Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!" (evil mad scientist laugh).

Anyway, I hoped we'd beat the 49ers (but knew we wouldn't), figured the Texans would start dropping games because they have no QB, and all we need left is the Rats to lose in Cincy and us to win out.