PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin press conference.

zulater
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Just listening to it now, and he's totally unyielding in any thought to ever pulling Ben from the game now or ever seemingly in the future if Ben believes he can go. :doh:

I guess we can expect to see Ben limping around the pocket until we're eliminated in the playoffs.:no:

zulater
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
His ability to play through this injury was the reason the Steelers beat the Cleveland Browns 11 days ago. But the limitations of that ankle injury was the reason the Steelers lost to the 49ers.

Roethlisberger couldn't effectively throw deep, which is a big part of the Steelers' attack, because he couldn't follow through on his passes. The injured ankle, even with the protective brace, wouldn't allow him to put weight on that left leg.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Roethlisberger completed only 28.6 percent (4 of 14) of passes going more than 14 yards downfield. All three of his interceptions came on passes from that distance. An argument could be made that none of those interceptions would have happened if Roethlisberger was healthy enough to step into his passes.

Roethlisberger was considered a game-time decision after practicing on a limited basis Friday and Saturday. When asked about the decision to start Roethlisberger, Tomlin said there really wasn't much of a decision.

"He was deemed healthy enough to play," Tomlin said. "We always like what Ben provides us, not only from his quality of play but his leadership. This guy is a tremendous competitor. We appreciate his efforts. Obviously, we fell short tonight."

Of course, the Steelers offense will play better if Roethlisberger's ankle gets better. But it probably won't because he doesn't want to rest.

"I’ll go out and play at 5 percent," he said. "I don’t care. I’m going to give you all I got no matter what that is."

Playing at less than full strength was good enough to beat the likes of the Browns and will probably be good enough to beat the two-win St. Louis Rams on Saturday. But playing with the limitations of this injury will hurt the Steelers when it comes to playing the top defenses such as the 49ers', Ravens' and Texans'.

Under these conditions, it's difficult to envision a long playoff run when your quarterback is limping.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/38472/ben-roethlisberger-steelers-offense-are-breaking-down

This is insanity! If Tomlin isn't smart enough or doesn't have enough guts to tell Ben to sit out the next couple games to get healthy for the playoffs then the decision has to come from up above! I'm sorry, I've never been a Tomlin basher. But potentially he could be about to make the biggest mistake of his career, and in the process cost the Steelers their chance at a legitimate Super Bowl run! :frusty:

OnlyOne21
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I like Tomlin but letting Ben play is not what is best for the team right now and this is about the TEAM! Ben says that he doesn't want to let the guys down. Well than how about thinking about what games mean the most, get prepared for those games allowing yourself to be in the best position to help your TEAM.

The rest of the TEAM can pick you up the last two weeks and should be able to slip by the Rams and Browns. Chances are more than probable that even winning the last two games will change nothing as it relates to the seeding.

I can only hope that maybe someone like Charlie Batch sits down with Ben and tells him that he has his back, that they need him for the important games, the playoff games, and that the healthier he is the better the chances are to help the TEAM!

I appreciate the macho stance. Now is not the time to be the tough guy. It is time to be wise.

salamander
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
This is very frustrating. Ben is just being stubborn. I know he doesn't want to let his team down by sitting out but damn it Ben, you're only hurting the the team by staying in there when you're hurt!!

katmandu
12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
This is very frustrating. Ben is just being stubborn.

I know he doesn't want to let his team down by sitting out but damn it Ben, you're only hurting the the team by staying in there when you're hurt!!Ben is a martar. Sacrificing his health AND future at a time when the game is obviously LOST.

Very bad decision on Tomlin's part to keep Ben in the last 5-6 minutes yesterday.

There was NO good reason for it. NONE!

There was way too much risk in potential injury to Ben especially since the OL was basically a wet paper bag at that point in the game.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Tomlin needs to take charge. He's the coach. Ben is not. Sorry. Ride the pine this week and we'll reevaluate next week.

katmandu
12-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Tomlin needs to take charge. He's the coach. Ben is not. Sorry. Ride the pine this week and we'll reevaluate next week.Exactly. I don't see any rationalization to keep Ben in the game when the game was obviously lost.

Tomlin needs to grow some bigger balls and order Ben out of the game.

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I wanted him out around the 7 minute mark left in the game but don't have a problem with him starting the rest of the year.

It's so tough to sit the leader of the team and the identity of your offense. Everyone feeds off of him; the Browns game is a good example of that. And I think some of Ben's bad throws were just as much mental mistakes as anything sans the Miller INT (though if I really wanted to play devil's advocate, it could have just been a missed throw. That happens, bum ankle or not. We've seen throws sail over Miller's head before).

If we're going to play him in a situation like the second half in the Browns game, we're basically saying we'll play him in any situation. And let's be honest, hindsight is a driving force behind this. If we win, Ben is a warrior, Tomlin a genius. If we lose, well, all of this starts to pop up.

Hindes204
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
I wanted him out around the 7 minute mark left in the game but don't have a problem with him starting the rest of the year.

It's so tough to sit the leader of the team and the identity of your offense. Everyone feeds off of him; the Browns game is a good example of that. And I think some of Ben's bad throws were just as much mental mistakes as anything sans the Miller INT (though if I really wanted to play devil's advocate, it could have just been a missed throw. That happens, bum ankle or not. We've seen throws sail over Miller's head before).

If we're going to play him in a situation like the second half in the Browns game, we're basically saying we'll play him in any situation. And let's be honest, hindsight is a driving force behind this. If we win, Ben is a warrior, Tomlin a genius. If we lose, well, all of this starts to pop up.

Absolutely, well said.

zulater
12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Ben's always been a little suspect on the deep ball. So the missed pass on the open go route to Wallace wasn't much of an abberration. But our offense lives off Ben being accurate on the intermediate routes. The 15-25 yard outs and crossing patterns weren't there last night for the most part. Why? Because Ben can't step into his throws properly! You of all people I would have expected to see this! that's our bread and butter. That's what makes Ben special! Last night he was checkdown Charlie. when he did try to hit on the intermediate routes they usually were incomplete or intercepted! That's not our offense!!!!

suitanim
12-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Tomlin's call.

NOT Arians.

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ben's always been a little suspect on the deep ball. So the missed pass on the open go route to Wallace wasn't much of an abberration. But our offense lives off Ben being accurate on the intermediate routes. The 15-25 yard outs and crossing patterns weren't there last night for the most part. Why? Because Ben can't step into his throws properly! You of all people I would have expected to see this! that's our bread and butter. That's what makes Ben special! Last night he was checkdown Charlie. when he did try to hit on the intermediate routes they usually were incomplete or intercepted! That's not our offense!!!!

Yes, there's no doubt Ben was quicker to check down last night. Part of that is also because of the scary pass rush the 49ers have. Part of it is good coverage by LBs like Larry Grant and hard hitting safties that make you pay the price for going over the middle.

The injury played a part but there were other mitigating factors into it.

And I'll have a clearer picture once I look at the game.

steel striker
12-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Ben should sit this week against the rams and, maybe play the first of the browns game the following week. That's just how I see it because, at some point he needs to get that ankle some what healthy for the playoffs.

tube517
12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Just listening to it now, and he's totally unyielding in any thought to ever pulling Ben from the game now or ever seemingly in the future if Ben believes he can go. :doh:

I guess we can expect to see Ben limping around the pocket until we're eliminated in the playoffs.:no:

Why even listen? The season is a wash and Tomlin should be fired anyways. :sarcasm: :chuckle:

Craic
12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
What I keep thinking about when I read this thread, are those who complained that players who were injured didn't gut it out and play in games. Had we not played Ben and Charley Batch came in, having a decent game, and we lose by a TD or even a fieldgoal, this board would be lit up by the complaints of Ben not playing. Especially if he said he could go, and Tomlin sat him anyway.

Devilsdancefloor
12-20-2011, 06:57 PM
What I keep thinking about when I read this thread, are those who complained that players who were injured didn't gut it out and play in games. Had we not played Ben and Charley Batch came in, having a decent game, and we lose by a TD or even a fieldgoal, this board would be lit up by the complaints of Ben not playing. Especially if he said he could go, and Tomlin sat him anyway.

QFT very well said

zulater
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM

I haven't made the case at all that Ben shouldn't have played against the 49ers. What I have said is that he shouldn't have been left in after the score became 20-3! That was stupid on Tomlin's part, and God only know's what he could have said if Ben had been seriously hurt with the Niners pinning their ears and coming with the blitz on every play? It made no sense then, and it still makes no sense now.

My other point is that Ben needs to be protected from himself and be made to sit the final two regular season games if that's what it takes to get him relatively healthy for the playoffs. Until such time that he displays the ability to step into his throws properly and he's able to participate in practices fully he needs to be held out of regular season play!

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Ben should definitely have play against the 9ers, until about 8 minutes left, then he should have been pulled with no real chance of winning. Against the 49ers we had a real chance to seal up the division, now that we are not likely to improve our lot, he should rest. If he limps into a road playoff and is ineffective because his ankle has been beat to a pulp, well that will just suck. It's obvious this line can not protect a QB that can not at least shuffle around back there.

zulater
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
"We understand we open ourselves up to judgment when we make decisions like that," Tomlin said. "We live with that."

But that doesn't mean Tomlin, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Roethlisberger are going about this entirely right.

For one, all concerned need to come up with an offensive plan that suits Roethlisberger's limitations and stick to it.

Rewind to the Tennessee victory in early October, when Roethlisberger had a less severe ankle injury, for the blueprint: He stays in a tight pocket, spots a receiver right away and snaps off a quick throw. Preferably from the shotgun.

All of that was in place for the latter part of the previous game against the Browns and the first half against the 49ers, and it worked. The line held its ground, and Roethlisberger had plenty of good looks. But Roethlisberger inexplicably started winging it in the second half. He was scrambling, trying to buy time for Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown on deep routes and, ultimately, getting himself buried in the backfield.

There's the real risk of getting hurt anew, much more than aggravating the ankle. All it takes is one big sack, and there goes the shoulder or wrist.

Tomlin and Arians never should have let the plan go astray.

Another reason for that: Roethlisberger was just 4 of 14 on pass attempts of 15 yards or longer, including all three interceptions. The ankle won't allow him to plant the way he usually does.

All concerned also need to decide who's boss.

Tomlin never should have let Roethlisberger on the field in the final minutes with the Steelers down 17. And Roethlisberger never should have lobbied for it once he saw Batch warming up. That was one part stupidity, two parts silly bravado.

This was Roethlisberger's version Monday: "When Coach tried to get me out, I said, 'No, I'm not putting you in that situation, and I'm not quitting on our guys.' "

He said no?

Tomlin should try that in such a situation.

There are few who don't admire Roethlisberger's toughness. It's legitimate and praiseworthy. But that was outright selfish on his part, a symbolic look-at-me moment, and it didn't help anyone.

There's a smart way to do this.

Read more: Kovacevic: No bye, no break for Big Ben - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_772963.html#ixzz1hASdMhts

Butch
12-21-2011, 05:40 AM
I LOVE that Ben plays hurt and has more guts than any other QB in the league. There is no doubt that his toughness is a spark to the team. All that being said...when Ben didn't practice until Friday he should not have been in that game. If he practiced on Wednesday then I would not have had a problem, but someone else was taking snaps and was better prepaired. Charlie didn't do a bad job filling in for Ben last year he should have gotten the nod. I also agree that if you do put him in there you pull him late in the game but I'm sure that by that point it was more of a thing of pride for coach Tomlin and that is why he stuck by his decision. It seems to me there are a lot of stubborn people making decisions on this team.

zulater
12-21-2011, 05:52 AM
52.3: There is an adage in sports: How you practice is how you play. Maybe that explains Ben Roethlisberger's terrible performance against the 49ers.
Last week, the Steelers practiced five days. Roethlisberger took part in just two of those practices -- Friday and Saturday on a very limited basis. In essence, he took part in just one half of two practices for a road game against a stingy defense that leads the NFL in fewest points allowed.
On one hand, it's admirable that Roethlisberger wanted to play and did play 11 days after suffering a Grade 1 high ankle sprain. Then again, maybe it was selfish on his part to think the Steelers couldn't win without him. But his performance speaks for itself: three interceptions, a lost fumble and a miserable 52.3 passer rating, his worst of the season.
"We don't live in our fears. We live in our hopes," coach Mike Tomlin explained of the decision to play Roethlisberger. "We made a decision that we were going to give that guy a chance to play and we don't second-guess that regardless of the outcome."
Playing a gimpy-legged Roethlisberger who hardly practiced last week also speaks volumes of the lack of trust the Steelers have in backup QB Charlie Batch.
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-by-the-numbers-week/article_a4868fc1-2e8d-5af8-9f61-e688c342ade3.html

X-Terminator
12-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't think they should have played Ben in that game, and watching him play, from the beginning he did not look like himself at all. And I don't understand why Tomlin didn't tell Ben to sit when the game was out of reach. Fans are justified at questioning that decision, because one roll-up on that ankle and he's probably out of the playoffs as well. Nobody was going to question Ben's toughness or team-first mentality if he spent the final 8 minutes drinking Gatorade on the bench.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2011, 10:01 AM
If the Steelers start Batch, they will lose because he cannot carry this team with his arm and the Steelers dont have a running game to lean on. If everybody on this board is OK with losing to the Rams, then sit Ben.

I personally think you can play QB with an ankle sprain, without hurting it further. Immobile Ben is better than healthy Batch. He is gonna play and be fine.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
If the Steelers start Batch, they will lose because he cannot carry this team with his arm and the Steelers dont have a running game to lean on. If everybody on this board is OK with losing to the Rams, then sit Ben.

I personally think you can play QB with an ankle sprain, without hurting it further. Immobile Ben is better than healthy Batch. He is gonna play and be fine.

Sure, it may not further hurt it, but might playing Ben slow the healing?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Sure, it may not further hurt it, but might playing Ben slow the healing?

Possibly, but considering it was a grade 1 sprain and Ben actually looked to have better mobility as the game went on...I dont think its as bad as most fear. 5 more days of immobilization and therapy should make it even better for this week.

Win saturday and maybe lock up the #5 seed, then if the following week is meaningless you can rest him then. Would rather play the AFC West champ the Wildcard weekend than the Ravens or Texans.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I really think they need to better game plan around his current weaknesses. Otherwise, unless there is marked improvement, I can't agree that there are advantages to playing him over Batch.

zulater
12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Possibly, but considering it was a grade 1 sprain and Ben actually looked to have better mobility as the game went on...I dont think its as bad as most fear. 5 more days of immobilization and therapy should make it even better for this week.

Win saturday and maybe lock up the #5 seed, then if the following week is meaningless you can rest him then. Would rather play the AFC West champ the Wildcard weekend than the Ravens or Texans.

We've already locked up the 5 seed. What we're fighting for is the 3 seed and the home game that comes with it in the wildcard round. If we can win out and the Ravens were to lose either of their final two games that's exactly what will happen. And with their (Ravens) last game @ Cincy, who almost certainly will be needing a win to gain a wildcard bid, that's a distinct possibility.

That said I disagree with your premise that Charlie Batch cant' beat a 2-13 Rams team quarterbacked by Kellen Clemens. A player that was out of the league entirely as recently as two weeks ago.

Build a game plan around Charlie's limitations and give him a another week of practice repetitions with the starting unit, and he'll get the job done.

suitanim
12-21-2011, 11:20 AM

I disagree on several levels. First, the Rams ain't the 49ers, and we're at home. I can't see them laying more than maybe 10 on us, and even Batch (IF he's allowed to take snaps with the starters for the week) can muster 14-17 points against them. I also think we can run the ball against them, maybe not at will, but effectively enough. Batch also throws a nice long ball, and I don't see us missing on ALL of them if we take our requisite 5 shots down the field.

The Duke
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
That said I disagree with your premise that Charlie Batch cant' beat a 2-13 Rams team quarterbacked by Kellen Clemens. A player that was out of the league entirely as recently as two weeks ago.

Build a game plan around Charlie's limitations and give him a another week of practice repetitions with the starting unit, and he'll get the job done.

agree

this is a team that lost 3 of its top 4 corners (one of them being a freakishly old Al Harris!) an its premier LT and RT. If Batch and the defense can't take care of business with a team like this we have severe issues

the one thing they've got going for them is Chris Long. And who knows if robert quinn might turn into aldon smith against our oline, but I'd prefer Batch suffering that than a hobbled Ben