PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Timmons Where are You ???

katmandu
12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Hello! Paging Mr.Lawrence Timmons!! Where are You ??

Quite frankly....with all the hype this Pre-season over LT coming out this year and taking names I was expecting SO much more out of hi

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 06:55 AM
He's still chasing down Vernon Davis

zulater
12-20-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm hoping that if we can ever get Woodley and Harrison healthy at the same time again that Timmon's play will come into line. But yeah he's been a major disappointment to me. I realize we're not always aware of his assignment, and oft times you go most unnoticed when you do your job right, as the play will go away from you. But I thought this guy had the explosion and strength to make more "splash plays." For the first 6 games of the 2010 season he was playing as a first round draft choice should play. But now he doesn't look any more special than Larry Foote.

But again to my original point, perhaps this is a result of him being asked to do different things because of either Woodley or Harrison being missing from the lineup?

Bluecoat96
12-20-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm hoping that if we can ever get Woodley and Harrison healthy at the same time again that Timmon's play will come into line. But yeah he's been a major disappointment to me. I realize we're not always aware of his assignment, and oft times you go most unnoticed when you do your job right, as the play will go away from you. But I thought this guy had the explosion and strength to make more "splash plays." For the first 6 games of the 2010 season he was playing as a first round draft choice should play. But now he doesn't look any more special than Larry Foote.

But again to my original point, perhaps this is a result of him being asked to do different things because of either Woodley or Harrison being missing from the lineup?

This

suitanim
12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
On that play to Vern Davis, he was not fooled. He kept to his assignment and picked up the TE scraping across...it was a PERFECT over-the-shoulder lob by Smith. Tough to stop that...

zulater
12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
On that play to Vern Davis, he was not fooled. He kept to his assignment and picked up the TE scraping across...it was a PERFECT over-the-shoulder lob by Smith. Tough to stop that...

I think Davis is too tough a coverage assignment for a linebacker way more often than not. Didn't we pretty much cover Gronkowski with Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis all game when we played the Pats?

suitanim
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
IMO Farrior isn't up to the task, but Timmons is fast enough. I just have to wonder how much of our scheme was disrupted by not having Harrison and relying on Worilds...

The Duke
12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Practicing at all three spots can mess up your game

if this was a thing that carried over to next year, or the playoffs with all four linebackers (hopefully) healthy I'd be worried

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Timmons has looked fine this year. Solid against the run, best coverage linebacker that we have.

7willBheaven
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Timmons has looked fine this year. Solid against the run, best coverage linebacker that we have.

Exactly. He may not have 100+ tackles/etc...but when you played out of your position for a number of full games and a number of snaps during a game...you're not going to get the same kind of production. Theres nothing wrong with Timmons...the only problem in the middle is unfortunately Farrior (he should NEVER be covering a WR or TE).

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Exactly. He may not have 100+ tackles/etc...but when you played out of your position for a number of full games and a number of snaps during a game...you're not going to get the same kind of production. Theres nothing wrong with Timmons...the only problem in the middle is unfortunately Farrior (he should NEVER be covering a WR or TE).

I'm not sure what people are looking for exactly. An interception a game? He's a top young ILB on one of the best defenses in the game.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Zero sacks last night isn't just on Timmons, its on the entire Defense.

Epic Fail.

7willBheaven
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure what people are looking for exactly. An interception a game? He's a top young ILB on one of the best defenses in the game.

I think people want him to make a ton of highlight plays during the games...INTs, sacks, etc...and have at least 100+ tackles every year. Same goes for any player making good money it seems. Thats just not how the game goes/works/etc.

oneforthetoe
12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I thought he played pretty well last night. In the game I was watching the defense held the Niners to 6 points for more than half the game despite two turnovers by the Steelers.

Edman
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Timmons has been forced out of his position many times this year. Constantly moving inside and outside. Not really surprising his production is off.

Devilsdancefloor
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Might be as simple as he is trying to do way to much since 1/2 the LBer corp is out ? plus playing out of position doesnt help either

GodfatherofSoul
12-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought he made 3 mistakes on that TD drive: totally whiffed on an open field tackle where runner probably went another 20-30 yards before going down. Didn't chip the receiver on that crossing route. Not sure if he was at fault (LB looked like he was crossing behind him to cover the gap), but pass rushed himself completely out of the play on the draw TD run.

Psycho Ward 86
12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
of all the mistakes in that game...you picked on....Timmons??? lol

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Apparently someone here only thinks your playing well if the announcers call your name out. Only Troy had more solo tackles then Timmons yesterday. He had 3 great stops on the RB and was decent in coverage. The whole teams tackle count is off this year, but he's probably gonna end up with 70 tackles for the year, which is not bad considering all they have asked him to do this season.

7willBheaven
12-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Apparently someone here only thinks your playing well if the announcers call your name out. Only Troy had more solo tackles then Timmons yesterday. He had 3 great stops on the RB and was decent in coverage. The whole teams tackle count is off this year, but he's probably gonna end up with 70 tackles for the year, which is not bad considering all they have asked him to do this season.

This

zulater
12-21-2011, 05:49 AM

A sack, a good pressure that leads to an incompletion, an interception, a good pass break up, a forced fumble, ( aka "splash plays") all come to mind. Has he been awful? No. But has he produced in the tradition of previous Steeler greats at ILB? Not even close imo. And has he produced as one would expect from a first round draft choice just coming into his prime? Again no imo. To me Timmons is currently playing at a slightly better than Larry Foote level. This after starting off the 2010 season looking like a legitimate DPOY candidate for the first half of the season. Sorry, but I expect more from someone who looks to have all the tools of a great one. He's no Chad Brown, that's for sure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Zero sacks last night isn't just on Timmons, its on the entire Defense.

Epic Fail. Timmons isnt a pass rusher. Woodley at 80% wasnt going to do it. Harrison being suspended was a big loss to the defense.

Timmons never lived up to the hype of that selection, but not a lot of other choices that year. Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer??

BlastFurnace
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I think we look at Timmons as something he is not. He is not dominant in the middle. He is a good linebacker, but not great.

Devilsdancefloor
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I think we look at Timmons as something he is not. He is not dominant in the middle. He is a good linebacker, but not great.

this we have all gotten used to plug and play with out LBers. i really think he is good at ILBer

Iron Steeler
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM

I think he has the potential to be a dominant MLB and honestly we need him to be...
he should be able to perform with or without Harrison or Woodley in the line up

steel striker
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
It was disturbing that we did not get any sacks against the niners.

zulater
12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
It was disturbing that we did not get any sacks against the niners.

Particularly since they gave up 18 in their previous 3 games.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I think he has the potential to be a dominant MLB and honestly we need him to be...
he should be able to perform with or without Harrison or Woodley in the line up

Problem is, he hasn't performed this year when both of them were in the lineup.

Timmons is a good linebacker, but not great.

The Steelers need him to be better than he is.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Particularly since they gave up 18 in their previous 3 games.

It didn't surprise me at all. The Steelers blitzes hardly ever get through any longer and they don't cause the offense to make errors (holding calls, run stuffs behind the LOS, etc). Today, Tunch and Wolf were discussing how bad the Rams O'line is. I bet the Steelers don't sack their QB more than 2 times...if that.

Their blitz packages are figured out or the players just aren't good enough to get it done any longer.

zulater
12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
It didn't surprise me at all. The Steelers blitzes hardly ever get through any longer and they don't cause the offense to make errors (holding calls, run stuffs behind the LOS, etc). Today, Tunch and Wolf were discussing how bad the Rams O'line is. I bet the Steelers don't sack their QB more than 2 times...if that.

Their blitz packages are figured out or the players just aren't good enough to get it done any longer.

I'm guessing John told his bro all he needed to know about our blitz packages. Usually when we play an out of conference opponent we have a significant edge because they don't go against our scheme very often. But I'd wager John started schooling Jim on the intrinsic values of our system as soon as the schedule was released.

I'll wager we'll be much more successful against the Rams.

NCSteeler
12-22-2011, 01:22 AM
A sack, a good pressure that leads to an incompletion, an interception, a good pass break up, a forced fumble, ( aka "splash plays") all come to mind. Has he been awful? No. But has he produced in the tradition of previous Steeler greats at ILB? Not even close imo. And has he produced as one would expect from a first round draft choice just coming into his prime? Again no imo. To me Timmons is currently playing at a slightly better than Larry Foote level. This after starting off the 2010 season looking like a legitimate DPOY candidate for the first half of the season. Sorry, but I expect more from someone who looks to have all the tools of a great one. He's no Chad Brown, that's for sure.

You don't think him having to move around the defense and learn new positions has slowed hi s progress any? Seriously the guy has done everything asked of him, let's see Willis, Ray Lewis, or any other MLBers line up a OLB for several games and then throw in that he is a young guy just coming onto his own at his position and ask him to change.

zulater
12-22-2011, 05:55 AM
You don't think him having to move around the defense and learn new positions has slowed hi s progress any? Seriously the guy has done everything asked of him, let's see Willis, Ray Lewis, or any other MLBers line up a OLB for several games and then throw in that he is a young guy just coming onto his own at his position and ask him to change.

For the season, maybe that holds some validity. But specific to this last game, or for the last 6 games it doesn't. Timmons hasn't been asked to stray from his normal position since the Cardinals game. We needed someone to step up and make a play against the Niners. He didn't. In fact there were several obvious misses on his part where he absolutely could have made a difference, but didn't. He wasn't the only one that failed to change the tide with a splash play Monday. But this thread is about him, not the defense as a whole. So how's it not fair to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in his play last Monday night?

katmandu
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
For the season, maybe that holds some validity. But specific to this last game, or for the last 6 games it doesn't. Timmons hasn't been asked to stray from his normal position since the Cardinals game. We needed someone to step up and make a play against the Niners. He didn't. In fact there were several obvious misses on his part where he absolutely could have made a difference, but didn't.

He wasn't the only one that failed to change the tide with a splash play Monday. But this thread is about him, not the defense as a whole. So how's it not fair to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in his play last Monday night?X2.

Someone show a video of (1) BIG play LT this season.

JUST ONE.

Devilsdancefloor
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
X2.

Someone show a video of (1) BIG play LT this season.

JUST ONE.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d82410af2/Timmons-catches-the-tip-for-a-pick

pepsyman1
12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I will echo the sentiment of this thread. I don't think Timmons has played badly, but he surely has done anything that makes you think "superstar" linebacker..certainly not up to the level of the contract he signed.

I know a lot of people have given both Foote and Farrior a little bit of grief for being too slow, but to be honest. Timmons and Farrior as a tandem haven't seemed impressive and when Foote and Farrior are teamed together they seem to be more coherent in the center of the field. I'm also STILL trying to figure out why we so rarely see the X cross blitz up the middle with the two inside linebackers when Timmons plays. We used to see it regularly with Foote and Farrior together and when we do it seems to create more openings during the game for our normal pass rushers on the outside. Not sure why we see it so rarely now.

katmandu
12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d82410af2/Timmons-catches-the-tip-for-a-pickOk...

Show us another.

NCSteeler
12-23-2011, 12:13 AM
For the season, maybe that holds some validity. But specific to this last game, or for the last 6 games it doesn't. Timmons hasn't been asked to stray from his normal position since the Cardinals game. We needed someone to step up and make a play against the Niners. He didn't. In fact there were several obvious misses on his part where he absolutely could have made a difference, but didn't. He wasn't the only one that failed to change the tide with a splash play Monday. But this thread is about him, not the defense as a whole. So how's it not fair to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in his play last Monday night?

But that's the point this thread is specifically talking about the whole season. I'm pretty sure most players suffer a game or two where they are not at their peak especially traveling cross country only to be delayed several times, well into the late night. I'll give him a pass on this game, but still think he is having an okay year.

Craic
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
I will echo the sentiment of this thread. I don't think Timmons has played badly, but he surely has done anything that makes you think "superstar" linebacker..certainly not up to the level of the contract he signed.

I know a lot of people have given both Foote and Farrior a little bit of grief for being too slow, but to be honest. Timmons and Farrior as a tandem haven't seemed impressive and when Foote and Farrior are teamed together they seem to be more coherent in the center of the field. I'm also STILL trying to figure out why we so rarely see the X cross blitz up the middle with the two inside linebackers when Timmons plays. We used to see it regularly with Foote and Farrior together and when we do it seems to create more openings during the game for our normal pass rushers on the outside. Not sure why we see it so rarely now.
Mainly, IMO, it's because Timmons is used so much more in coverage than previous ILB's. We haven't had a guy as fast as him in forever.

Earl Holmes - nope.
Kendrell Bell? Maybe, but he didn't know the playbook and just free-lanced.
Foote? Nope.

He has 4 passes defended (top of all but our four starting DB's), and is 3rd in tackles, (top of all again, except for safeties). The same holds true for tackle assists.

So, let's put this together, he is the leading LB in tackles, assists in tackles, and Passes defended.

Football is much more than sacking the QB or getting ESPN plays. It's making the small plays so that you DON'T get noticed that counts just as much if not more.

XxKnightxX
12-23-2011, 04:10 AM
Not for nothing but Ill take Timmons at this state of whatever hes being called to and not have to deal with a LB situation like the Panthers are dealing with or the Giants are dealing with, basically signing every guy from the street that knows how to take the correct exit for the turnpike. Id rather take a guy who does his job and sets up other people for the tackle, coverage , etc. We dont gameplan for Timmons to make all the tackles and moves, and he isnt some turd who jumps on top of every pile and claims he stuffed the play after a 12 yard gain.

zulater
12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Mainly, IMO, it's because Timmons is used so much more in coverage than previous ILB's. We haven't had a guy as fast as him in forever.

Earl Holmes - nope.
Kendrell Bell? Maybe, but he didn't know the playbook and just free-lanced.
Foote? Nope.

He has 4 passes defended (top of all but our four starting DB's), and is 3rd in tackles, (top of all again, except for safeties). The same holds true for tackle assists.

So, let's put this together, he is the leading LB in tackles, assists in tackles, and Passes defended.

Football is much more than sacking the QB or getting ESPN plays. It's making the small plays so that you DON'T get noticed that counts just as much if not more.

We're not stupid Preach. We've recognized Aaron Smith's greatness over the years despite limited stats. Same with Casey Hampton.

But we also saw what Timmons can be. In the first half of the 2010 season Timmons was a standout player. You could have easily made a claim that he was the Steelers MVP at the midpoint of the 10 season. The standard he was displaying at the time put him in the argument for the best ILB's in the game. That's the guy we're all wanting to see again.

I don't believe anyone is stating Timmons is awful or a liability out there. But I'm not seeing a guy I can place in the argument with the league best ILB's either. Given his salary, what was spent to acquire him, and what we've seen of him at his best, I don't believe we're being unreasonable being somewhat disappointed in his season to date.

zulater
12-23-2011, 06:06 AM
But that's the point this thread is specifically talking about the whole season. I'm pretty sure most players suffer a game or two where they are not at their peak especially traveling cross country only to be delayed several times, well into the late night. I'll give him a pass on this game, but still think he is having an okay year.

Ok year? I suppose. I guess my expectations were higher.

Pristas
12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
We're not stupid Preach. We've recognized Aaron Smith's greatness over the years despite limited stats. Same with Casey Hampton.

But we also saw what Timmons can be. In the first half of the 2010 season Timmons was a standout player. You could have easily made a claim that he was the Steelers MVP at the midpoint of the 10 season. The standard he was displaying at the time put him in the argument for the best ILB's in the game. That's the guy we're all wanting to see again.

I don't believe anyone is stating Timmons is awful or a liability out there. But I'm not seeing a guy I can place in the argument with the league best ILB's either. Given his salary, what was spent to acquire him, and what we've seen of him at his best, I don't believe we're being unreasonable being somewhat disappointed in his season to date.

I'm with you Zu. He was a super stud for the first half of the year, and has fallen off that dramatically. Every man has to do his job and pick up his assignment for our defense to work. He has done that in spades. But in order for our D to be above the rest, certain people will have to rise above. Troy has done this for us, Ike has done this for us. There are others who I was more hopeful of in being able to make the leap from solid contributor to exceptional at his position. Those names are Ziggy Hood, Larry Timmons, Kenan Lewis, and Gay. Now Gay is the only one of that group starting to take it to the next level, not quite Ike stats, but above. As for the others, I think old man Keisel has more passes defensed than Hood, Heyward, Foote and Farrior combined. That is just from my perspective, it may or may not be true. The Beard just seems to play more heads up football. Timmons probably has more natural talent than 90% of our D, but he basically stopped blossoming at his position half way through the season.