PDA

View Full Version : Who starts at QB vs. Rams?

Burghfan58
12-20-2011, 06:32 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious that Ben should have been pulled at some point last night. Why are Batch and Dixon on the team if Tomlin has no faith in them over an injured and inneffective Ben. At any rate who gets the nod on Saturday vs. the Rams?

katmandu
12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Ben should have most definitely been pulled late in the game. He was getting pummeled behind the OL last night. He was already very banged up badly....

I say throw Charlie or Dennis in there and let them earn the $$.

As for Saturday's game.... I'm going to have to go with Charlie at this point in time.

We are IN the playoffs right now, I don't think it's wise to risk Ben's health anymore than need be to obtain a higher seed.

PalmerSteel
12-20-2011, 07:21 AM
sit ben for the next 2 weeks. period. no matter what ben wants to do. unless the unlikely happens, ben needs the rest for that first round playoff game at houston. start batch. if he struggles, put in dixon at half time.

steeldevil
12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
I dont care who starts the last 2 games as long as its not Ben R.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Ben last night is a better option than either Batch or Dixon. Again, its not like the Steelers have a run game such as Houston to lean on. Ben starts vs the Rams.

The Duke
12-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Ben last night is a better option than either Batch or Dixon. Again, its not like the Steelers have a run game such as Houston to lean on. Ben starts vs the Rams.

run game has been looking better each of the last few weeks, even last night. I really hope they don't come out throwing against the rams, it's just the game they need to get Mendenhall on track

as for who starts, I hope it's Batch. Hope we don't need Ben to beat a Kellen Clemens led team!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Steelers ran the ball 19 times last night. IF they had some decent interior linemen and IF they had an injured QB, they might have been able to run the ball more and control the game. In the end, the game is won or lost up front and the 49ers O line with 1st round talent like Staley, Iupati, Davis...controlled the game better than reserve talent like Legursky, Foster, Essex

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Ben needs time to heal.

Hide his helmet. Take the keys to his car. Anything!

I would rather they go into the playoffs at 11-5 or 10-6 with him relatively healthy than 12-4 with him banged up.

GBMelBlount
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Just as in the SF game, I would suggest starting Batch and seeing how the game unfolds and use Ben strategically if at all.

Ben healthy for the playoffs IS more important than a 1st round bye.

fansince'76
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
We pretty much pissed the #1 seed and the division away last night (don't see the Ravens stepping on their own peckers again or the Pats losing at home against the Dolphins or Bills, sorry), so I gotta say Batch as well. If we can't beat the Rams at home even with Homestead Charlie under center, we don't deserve the playoff spot we've already clinched.

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Since the Steelers have already clinched a playoff spot and we could still possibly clinch the division, I'd say it's best that Charlie starts and we sit Ben until the beginning of the playoffs.

Moose
12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I say start either Batch or Dixon, either one should be able win the game. Just don't start Ben. We are in the play-offs already, just not sure where, so Ben is going to be need at 100%. Let him sit the next game, and probably 3 qtrs of Cleve. game. Maybe bring him in sometime in the 4qtr to start getting his timing back for the 1st playoff game.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I dont care who starts the last 2 games as long as its not Ben R.

This...

smokin3000gt
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Ben is ALWAYS going to be a better option then Batch or Dixon but at some point you have to think about BR's health. We can't go into the playoffs with Ben hobbling around. He's one ugly sack from being out the rest of the season. It's not like he goes untouched like T Brady.

steel striker
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Ben needs to sit this game against the rams at some point that ankle has to better before the playoffs. We need a some what healthy #7 to have a chance at the prize.

Count Steeler
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I say sit Ben and Troy and Lamar and any other starter that has a capable back up this week. This is a useless game, a short week and meaningless. Use the Browns game as a tune up for the playoffs.

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
If Ben looks the way he did last night, then start Dixon (if he's healthy, which I honestly have no clue about). Ben has "played through pain" a lot in his career, but it was obviously hindering him last night to the point where he was ineffective, and in all honesty he probably should not have played. I have NO faith in Batch, however, so I'd rather roll the dice with Dixon.

If Ben is feeling close to 100%, though, I'd rather have him in there so we can try and get some momentum going into the playoffs. Maybe not play him for the whole game if we can help it.

zulater
12-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I say sit Ben and Troy and Lamar and any other starter that has a capable back up this week. This is a useless game, a short week and meaningless. Use the Browns game as a tune up for the playoffs.

You know the Steelers can still win the division? If you've been paying any attention this season you'd realize it's far from a given that the Ravens will win in cincy in their season finale. And with the division title comes a home playoff game in the wildcard round. I'd say that's worth playing for wouldn't you?

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Ben needs time to heal.

Hide his helmet. Take the keys to his car. Anything!

I would rather they go into the playoffs at 11-5 or 10-6 with him relatively healthy than 12-4 with him banged up.

Agreed. I'd sit whoever is injured so that we can go in to the playoffs healthy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Ben is ALWAYS going to be a better option then Batch or Dixon but at some point you have to think about BR's health. We can't go into the playoffs with Ben hobbling around. He's one ugly sack from being out the rest of the season. It's not like he goes untouched like T Brady.

Every QB in the league is 1 ugly sack away from being out the rest of the season.

He will play 3 quarters vs the Rams and hopefully the game is at hand by then so Ben can sit the rest of the game.

steelreserve
12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Every QB in the league is 1 ugly sack away from being out the rest of the season.

He will play 3 quarters vs the Rams and hopefully the game is at hand by then so Ben can sit the rest of the game.

Yeah, but if you're injured to begin with, the odds of re-aggravating it are way higher than they would be on just any old play in a regular game. This would be the wrong time for that to happen.

Not to mention - if Ben is in similar shape to what he was on Monday, I'm not sure I'd want him playing. He was severely limited and it hurt the team.

I really hope this all turns out to be much ado about nothing, and by this Sunday his ankle is mostly fine, and he can go out and play and be effective. Then I'm with you 100%.

SteelGhost
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Ben for the first half, then Dixon for the second.

Count Steeler
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
You know the Steelers can still win the division? If you've been paying any attention this season you'd realize it's far from a given that the Ravens will win in cincy in their season finale. And with the division title comes a home playoff game in the wildcard round. I'd say that's worth playing for wouldn't you?

You are banking on a loss from the Ravens in Cincy. Fair enough. However, I don't like our chances, home or away, with a gimpy team. I would rather have the healthiest team possible for game 1 of the playoffs, than ensuring we have a gimpy team and pinning our hopes on a Ravens loss. If the Ravens win out, we are seed 5 or 6 and we travel.

If we win out, Ravens lose, Houston wins out, NE wins out, we are 3rd at best. We get 1 home game, no bye, no rest. I think we already gambled on Monday night, now it is time to get conservative and heal as many bodies as we can.

zulater
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM
You are banking on a loss from the Ravens in Cincy. Fair enough. However, I don't like our chances, home or away, with a gimpy team. I would rather have the healthiest team possible for game 1 of the playoffs, than ensuring we have a gimpy team and pinning our hopes on a Ravens loss. If the Ravens win out, we are seed 5 or 6 and we travel.

If we win out, Ravens lose, Houston wins out, NE wins out, we are 3rd at best. We get 1 home game, no bye, no rest. I think we already gambled on Monday night, now it is time to get conservative and heal as many bodies as we can.

I'm not endorsing playing Ben, I'm saying try to win out with Batch. Which given our opponents, and the fact they'll both be playing with their back up qb's isn't any sort of stretch to suggest.

And if we do secure the 3 seed there's a damn good chance we could also host the AFC title game.

Count Steeler
12-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't think Ben is the only one to sit. Troy and Lamar should also rest. If they are ready for Cleveland, then giddy up.

I still think we can beat the Rams with Mundy, Worilds, and Batch. Also, give Pouncey as much rest as possible.

Moose
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM

EXACTLY !!! Can't agree more

VTsteel
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Screw it . . . sit Ben (at least this week) send Charlie and Dennis packing and let Hines run the O this week :)

Steeldude
12-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Why are Batch and Dixon on the team?

i have no idea why dixon was ever drafted.