PDA

View Full Version : It was a bad game. Don't make more of it than that.

zulater
12-20-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm disgusted with this game. It was awful! But it means nothing! Nothing I repeat! Sure it would have been nice to have the inside track to the 1 seed. But that's not going to be our fate this year. Who knows maybe we can still win the division? The Ravens are no cinch to win in Cincy the last week. But even if not, who cares? 3 of the last 5 Super Bowl winners weren't division winners. Tonight's game means nothing, it reflect nothing. Ben will get healthy. Harrison will return with a vengeance. And Pouncey will stabalize the offensive line.

I'm not guaranteeing you we'll go to the Super Bowl. But I'll tell you we'll show up and be heard in the playoffs. This team has the potential to beat anyone on their best day.

But today wan't their best day and they virtually could have lost to just about anyone. It's not a trend, it's just was a real bad night! A very very very bad night. But don't make more of it than that.

tube517
12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXeXm0uMDo

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 12:29 AM
great post!

Fire Tomlin:toofunny:

zulater
12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
great post!

I still wish he would have pulled Ben at the end. But apparently that was because Ben asked him not to. He ( Ben) felt he would have been letting his teammates down by coming out. Still the coach has to take the decision away from the player in a case like that. And short of that he needs to tell Arains just hand it off!

oneforthetoe
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
great post!

And the Rooney's are cheep.

zulater
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Ben says he balked at getting replaced by batch late because he didn't want to quit on his teammates.

https://twitter.com/#!/

SteelerEmpire
12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Ok. Kool. So if everyone did a good job (and the fact that Ben had more movement in the pocket than Brady and half the other QB's in the league tonight), therefore, what we DID figure out is that we can't score more than 3 pts against a somewhat better defense WITH Wallace, Brown, Miller, Ward, Mendy and Redmon... ok... got it. ..... lol.

zulater
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Ok. Kool. So if everyone did a good job (and the fact that Ben had more movement in the pocket than Brady and half the other QB's in the league tonight), therefore, what we DID figure out is that we can't score more than 3 pts against a somewhat better defense WITH Wallace, Brown, Miller, Ward, Mendy and Redmon... ok... got it. ..... lol.

You really think that was Ben at his best? The fact he didn't practice all week and couldn't step into his throws properly didn't affect his performance?

Ben threw away our first two possessions. When was the last time he threw two interceptions in the first quarter?!!

If you don't understand by now that as Ben goes so goes this team, then you just haven't been paying attention. :lol:

Ben was the problem tonight! I anticipate he'll be better the next time he plays in a game that matters.

Edman
12-20-2011, 12:51 AM
It's a bad game. Better get over it real quick.

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 01:55 AM
I will say this much. Here lately this defense looks very average. Givign up long drives to very average offensive teams.

HometownGal
12-20-2011, 04:25 AM
That's it in a nutshell. It was a BAD game, we lost - time to move on. We need to focus on the upcoming Rams game and put this debacle behind us. I'm already over it.

stillers4me
12-20-2011, 05:21 AM
That's it in a nutshell. It was a BAD game, we lost - time to move on. We need to focus on the upcoming Rams game and put this debacle behind us. I'm already over it.

Take some good advise from a very wise lady.

I'm betting we aren't near as bad as we looked last night. Yes, we sqandered a golden opportunity. But the fat lady ain't even warming up yet!

suitanim
12-20-2011, 05:29 AM
We won't advance in the playoffs if we have to play against a good defense on the road.

Want proof? Look how we played against the Texans (good defense, on the road), the Ravens (first game) and last night.

The irony is that in order to avoid having to play good defenses on the road in the playoffs, we had to beat a good defense on the road. We just aren't built to do that this year...

Count Steeler
12-20-2011, 05:37 AM
We won't advance in the playoffs if we have to play against a good defense on the road.

Want proof? Look how we played against the Texans (good defense, on the road), the Ravens (first game) and last night.

The irony is that in order to avoid having to play good defenses on the road in the playoffs, we had to beat a good defense on the road. We just aren't built to do that this year...

Agree wholeheartedly. We don't have IT this year. I will be pleasantly surprised if we advance to the SB this year. And now the Pats* have home field throughout. I thought this weekend was unfolding as a present for the Steelers, but it turns out the gift was addressed to the Pats*.

zulater
12-20-2011, 06:06 AM

Not if we play like we did last night we wont. But in my opinion that wasn't our "A" game. Understanding saying is saying and doing is doing, so as far as Empirical proof , as of now is all on your side. But I really believe that this team has another gear that it can find on it's best day that for a multitude of reasons hasn't surfaced this season in the games against the better defenses. Give us a healthy Pouncey, and Ben for the playoffs and I still think we'll be the last one's standing at the end.

I think the thing we're missing is that teams will play as they practice. Through not fault of their won the Steelers coaching staff was dealt two huge distractions last week that in my opinion carried over to the field of play Monday night. Those being Ben's injured ankle which prevented him from practicing all week, and Harrison's suspension, which in my opinion took the emotional edge away from the defense.

I'm quite confident that we can and will get it done in the playoffs if we can manage to get Ben healthy going into the playoffs.

PalmerSteel
12-20-2011, 06:12 AM
IF we get 3 key pieces fully healthy, i think we have a chance to make a playoff run on the road. it has been many many weeks since we have had these 3 in same game fully healthy: woodley, harrison, ben. we need ben healthy for obvious reasons but woodley and harrison healthy also will give us our up front strength back.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 06:43 AM
The concern is that the Steelers have been outscored 72-20 on the road vs playoff teams this year and the turnover ratio in those games is 0-12 in favor of the opponents in those games.

The Steelers are going on the road this year, unless the Bengals pull one out against the Ravens.

zulater
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
The concern is that the Steelers have been outscored 72-20 on the road vs playoff teams this year and the turnover ratio in those games is 0-12 in favor of the opponents in those games.

The Steelers are going on the road this year, unless the Bengals pull one out against the Ravens.

I understand the concern. But I still believe at our best we can play with anyone. I'm confident in our playoff prospects.

katmandu
12-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Well..... That just blows then that the Super Bowl won't be played at Heinz field.

suitanim
12-20-2011, 07:57 AM
I still think the Rats will tank against the Bungs...and we DO match up well against the Pats (even in Foxboro) thanks to their shitty defense.

But we blew it last night...

LLT
12-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Exactly...take away Bens mobility...our starting center...our starting OLB...and we are going to find it hard to beat any team that is above average. with a little time and the ability to heal, our team is still better than any team out there besides the Packers who are now equally banged up.

zulater
12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
I still think the Rats will tank against the Bungs...and we DO match up well against the Pats (even in Foxboro) thanks to their shitty defense.

If you look close enough at any team you can find some warts. It's all a matter of playing your best when it matters the most. Ours is a playoff hardened team. I think that will give us an edge in January.

Last thing beating the Patriots in Gillete would probably bring me greater joy than either of our last two Super bowl wins! I hope we get that chance!

Bluecoat96
12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
IF we get 3 key pieces fully healthy, i think we have a chance to make a playoff run on the road. it has been many many weeks since we have had these 3 in same game fully healthy: woodley, harrison, ben. we need ben healthy for obvious reasons but woodley and harrison healthy also will give us our up front strength back.

We can't forget about Pouncey either. Legursky was doing pretty well at LG with Pouncey in there.

mortgageman
12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't take much out of this game from an offensive perspective. Ben and Pouncey will get healthy and in the Playoffs, we will not be facing a defense like the Niners. The offense will be fine. The defense concerns me more. When you go on the road to face good teams, you need a great defensive effort. We haven't had that this year. I am hoping that Woodley can get closer to 100% for the playoffs and James comes back and is ready to work hard. We had zero pressure on the QB last night and not one chance at even sniffing a turnover. That is where the problem lies in the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Agree wholeheartedly. We don't have IT this year. I will be pleasantly surprised if we advance to the SB this year. And now the Pats* have home field throughout. I thought this weekend was unfolding as a present for the Steelers, but it turns out the gift was addressed to the Pats*.

"IT" is nothing more than a solid offensive line.

THAT is all that is missing.

steel striker
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm over it as well and, bad team game all around. I know Ben was not Ben and, the o-line got handled in the second half. The defense could not create a turn over and, could not stop the drives of a team that does not have a great offense. Ben forced some throws and, that's all she wrote. Like HTG said time to get ready from the Rams on Saturday. Let Ben rest play Batch and, let's see what happens.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes it was, a Bad Game by the ENTIRE Organization from The Head Coach on down to the Water Boy. As far as I'm concerned they all sucked on big fat eggs last night...sucked the eggs real good they did.

Effing Failure. Bottom line. No excuses, no one person to blame, I could go off on the clock management at the end of the first half, the questionable play calling on offense, the fact that Mendy refuses, REFUSES to actually run with his eyes open and find holes and just barrels ahead into the line where he thinks the hole is supposed to be. The face that Ben REFUSES to check down, and tries to force the deep ball all the freaking time. The fact the defense REFUSES to actually make a big play at a big point in the game, or that our Special Teams has nights where it just disappears.

Total Fail of Epic Proportions by the ENTIRE TEAM!

But its cool, we lost to a playoff team, that happens often, so I'm not too upset. I'm more mad at the fact we refused to execute as an organization or as a team and it looked like an entire cluster fark of idiots running a mental institution last night.

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I will always believe the steelers, but the big problem is the turnovers ratio.

To win in playoff, the offense must stop making turnovers and the defense has to be very dominant and creates turnovers.

The Duke
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM

true

I'd much rather play the pats in foxboro than the rats in baltimore again

though taking on the texans in houston with Yates at helm shouldnt't be too hard either

salamander
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Lately it's rare that the #1 seed makes much noise in the playoffs anyways.

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Since 2004, he was only in 2009 that the Saints are winning the super bowl as first seed.

salamander
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Since 2004, he was only in 2009 that the Saints are winning the super bowl as first seed.

My point exactly.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM

True, but this team needs rest. Now they probably won't get it.

They have to treat game 16, and maybe this week's game, like a bye. If it's my decision, no-one plays in game 16 other than backups and a few select starters.

Hide Ben's helmet or his size 20 shoes. Don't let him on the field under any circumstances. He needs as much rest as possible.

st33lersguy
12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Can this team win 3 road playoff games, I seriously doubt they can. Pittsburgh is much better at home. They are only 4-3 on the road, they played 3 road games against teams that currently have 10 wins and got beat each time, plus this team barely beat the Colts and sub-par Chiefs in road games.

Devilsdancefloor
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
im very disappointed in the they didnt reach out and grab the golden opportunity that was gifted wrapped to them, i personally could care less about that #1 seed i just wanted the division and if they came with the #1 seed so be it. BAD game yes bad route runnning bad ben showed up, but i thought MENDY ran hard

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Can this team win 3 road playoff games, I seriously doubt they can. Pittsburgh is much better at home. They are only 4-3 on the road, they played 3 road games against teams that currently have 10 wins and got beat each time, plus this team barely beat the Colts and sub-par Chiefs in road games.

Yes he can!

We must win the turnovers ratio!

In 2010, the Packers were 3-5 on the road ..

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 11:47 AM
There were really two things that killed us - one was that Ben had no mobility ... so where he would normally run around and extend the play, this time he knew he couldn't do that, so instead he had to get rid of the ball more quickly than usual, and he forced a lot of bad throws.

Second was that the 49ers came up with an offensive gameplan that covered up Alex Smith. They didn't really do anything that relied on him to make a tough throw - it was mostly screens, and quirky dump-offs, and occasionally some minor deception that left the tight end wide open 20 yards down the field. I think they learned after the Baltimore game that if they come out running their normal offense against a team like that, Smith is exposed and he'll get murdered. Maybe that was what the Harbaugh brothers talked about.

I mean, and then there was the field position that killed us, but a lot of that was a result of the other two problems. I have to give the 49ers credit, and especially their coach.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Lol @ people trying to blame this on the lack of practice. What's the excuse for all the other subpar performances on the road? This team is awful...downright AWFUL on the road and they have little to no chance at winning in the playoffs if they don't improve and do it fast. Destroyed in Houston, Baltimore and San Francisco. Shit efforts in KC and Indy...there's no excuse there...although I'm sure someone can find one...other than they are horrible on the road.

Anyone that thinks they have a legit shot to go anywhere being the 5 or 6 seed in the playoffs is grossly mistaken or just flat out ignorant to how the Steelers have played on the road. Combine that with the fact that they are limping into the playoffs and it's a recipe for disaster...

zulater
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Lol @ people trying to blame this on the lack of practice. What's the excuse for all the other subpar performances on the road? This team is awful...downright AWFUL on the road and they have little to no chance at winning in the playoffs if they don't improve and do it fast. Destroyed in Houston, Baltimore and San Francisco. Shit efforts in KC and Indy...there's no excuse there...although I'm sure someone can find one...other than they are horrible on the road.

Anyone that thinks they have a legit shot to go anywhere being the 5 or 6 seed in the playoffs is grossly mistaken or just flat out ignorant to how the Steelers have played on the road. Combine that with the fact that they are limping into the playoffs and it's a recipe for disaster...

Be ready to eat those words in a couple weeks.

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Really seems to me like you're placing a disproportionate amount of emphasis on the home/road thing. Maybe that matters this much because it's slightly less convenient, but really what it comes down to is skill and execution, and whether you're home or away doesn't change that very much compared to a million other more important things like ... the gameplan, injuries, who gets more lucky breaks or makes more dumb mistakes. It's not the end of the world if you're inconvenienced. Might as well worry about whether it's a day game or a night game, or what the weather is like, or whether we're wearing throwback uniforms.

Fact is, we lost three games on the road, to three division champions with a combined record of 31-11. It's not like we're completely falling apart and losing to the Dolphins. Given Ben's limitations last night, we would've been really lucky to win that game no matter where it was played.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Be ready to eat those words in a couple weeks.

More than happy too! MORE THAN HAPPY!!! :)

Feel free to bring it up after they win the Super Bowl!!!

86WARD
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Really seems to me like you're placing a disproportionate amount of emphasis on the home/road thing. Maybe that matters this much because it's slightly less convenient, but really what it comes down to is skill and execution, and whether you're home or away doesn't change that very much compared to a million other more important things like ... the gameplan, injuries, who gets more lucky breaks or makes more dumb mistakes. It's not the end of the world if you're inconvenienced. Might as well worry about whether it's a day game or a night game, or what the weather is like, or whether we're wearing throwback uniforms.

Fact is, we lost three games on the road, to three division champions with a combined record of 31-11. It's not like we're completely falling apart and losing to the Dolphins. Given Ben's limitations last night, we would've been really lucky to win that game no matter where it was played.

Not really. Their play pretty much shows how average to below average they have been on the road. Their play against Indy and KC was nothing close to impressive and they were extremely lucky to get out of there with wins...both those games were one play away from losses.

And here's some breaking news, the teams they'll be visiting in the playoffs...division champions...lol.

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Not really. Their play pretty much shows how average to below average they have been on the road. Their play against Indy and KC was nothing close to impressive and they were extremely lucky to get out of there with wins...both those games were one play away from losses.

And here's some breaking news, the teams they'll be visiting in the playoffs...division champions...lol.

OK, we're going to lose no matter what. Go to Vegas and bet the house on it. why even play the game, omg were so screwed!1!!

zulater
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
More than happy too! MORE THAN HAPPY!!! :)

Feel free to bring it up after they win the Super Bowl!!!

Got to win at least two road games to get to Indy, so I think that would prove the point right?

XxKnightxX
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM

-10 turnover ratio on the road, and -14 if it wasnt for Tyler Palko helping us out. That is horrible, I was looking at all the stats of all the road games, and we may outgain them, win TOP battle, and supress them under 300 yards, but its always a game that its too close for comfort or a loss. Something doesnt add up.

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I kinda agree with Ward. We are awful on the road. Especially with the offensive line play, no doubt hurt by a lack of communication in part due to the crowd.

I'm conflicted here. We are a team that does find ways to win which is great. That's the mark of a mentally tough team; doesn't have to be pretty, but get the job done in the end.

But at the same time, we're a team that loves to beat itself. Find ways to keep games close/lose games. It's Steelers beating Steelers and so maddening. That's not going to work in the playoffs against the top teams.

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 03:00 PM
As I say, if the Steelers win the turnovers battle, they will win on the road.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Got to win at least two road games to get to Indy, so I think that would prove the point right?

That would. :) I'd live to eat those words...trust me!! Straight...no mustard ketchup anything...lol.

86WARD
12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
OK, we're going to lose no matter what. Go to Vegas and bet the house on it. why even play the game, omg were so screwed!1!!

People just fail to see the reality here...this team finds ways to win, but they just aren't as good on the road as they are at home...obviously it's possible for them to win, but they are going to have a lot of work to do in a short amount of time if they want to straighten it out. That kind of play is only going to send them home early...

suitanim
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
We don't lose on the road, we lose on the road to TEAMS WITH GREAT DEFENSE.

We don't run the ball or play good enough defense ourselves in those situations. Those are keys to winning playoff games on the road.

polamalubeast
12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
The Steelers can win on the road if he fixes their problems.The problem of turnovers can easily be fixed

I will have confidence in the team as long as the Steelers will be alive.Roethlisberger is 3-0 in playoffs on the road.