PDA

View Full Version : The Field Position

polamalubeast
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
The offense deserves much blame for tonight but the field position was completely a disaster, especially in the 2nd half.

It's completely frustrating.

The Duke
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Andy Lee is a heck of a punter

we were almost guaranteed great field position at one point and he booms a 60 yarder

fansince'76
12-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Andy Lee is a heck of a punter

we were almost guaranteed great field position at one point and he booms a 60 yarder

Yeah, but even average punters turn into Ray Guy against us.

7willBheaven
12-19-2011, 11:49 PM
At the end they said the Steelers average starting position was like the 15 y/l...in a hole to begin with is not good.

tube517
12-19-2011, 11:53 PM

This.

Too many dumb penalties or average punters turning in to Ray Guy Lechler Kluwe

Craic
12-19-2011, 11:53 PM
At the end they said the Steelers average starting position was like the 15 y/l...in a hole to begin with is not good.

But that is all Arians's fault, see? Well, him and Tomlin. Had they had the foresight to put Andy Lee under contract for us, we would have won. I think Tomlin and Arians should be fired for that.

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 02:02 AM

The guy dropped several with a back twist on the 5 yard line, i would pretty much say that is not our STs fault. Sure wish he would have landed in the burgh a few years ago and that we had signed Akers this offseason. Those two guys would have been handy to have tonight.

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 02:03 AM
But that is all Arians's fault, see? Well, him and Tomlin. Had they had the foresight to put Andy Lee under contract for us, we would have won. I think Tomlin and Arians should be fired for that.

They did put him under contract and SF matched the bid, although we might have shot low, but everyone would have bitched if we paid too much for a punter

fansince'76
12-20-2011, 02:05 AM
The guy dropped several with a back twist on the 5 yard line, i would pretty much say that is not our STs fault. Sure wish he would have landed in the burgh a few years ago and that we had signed Akers this offseason. Those two guys would have been handy to have tonight.

We've been getting crap for starting field position all year. That's not all on STs, though. The lack of turnovers on defense is contributing to all the long fields too.

suitanim
12-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Field position differential is a HUGE determining stat for W's and L's.

I'd have guessed we lost by 20 points last night if that one stat was all I had to look at.

Blaming Arians for last nights loss is beyond mentally retarded. Chucky set up in the booth all night praising how well the plays the Steelers ran were designed. The execution, however, was fucking putrid.

stillers4me
12-20-2011, 05:37 AM
We did not get one freaking break all night. Sometimes, that's all it takes to set things going the right way and we never got a thing.

Some games are like that. Movin' on.

Count Steeler
12-20-2011, 05:42 AM
We did not get one freaking break all night. Sometimes, that's all it takes to set things going the right way and we never got a thing.

Some games are like that. Movin' on.

"Preparation makes you lucky." Noll.

steelreserve
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
That's how the 49ers have been beating people all year, is by absolutely murdering them on field position. It's not by accident or a few lucky plays, either. Harbaugh knows the offense can't be counted on to move over 30 yards more than, say, once a game, so he just makes what look like conservative moves but are really just calculated to move the odds slightly in favor of getting the ball in your opponents' territory on the next possession with some good play or a minor break. If you compared what we (or most teams) do to what Harbaugh does, it'd be like:

Our possession:
3rd-and-15 from own 20
15-yard incomplete pass
Punt 40 yards
Returned by 49ers to midfield

49ers possession:
3rd-and-15 from own 20
dump-off to Gore for 9 yards
Punt 50+ yards, down inside 15-yard line
opponent 3-and-out
return punt past midfield

Of course it helps that they have a Pro Bowl punter and good special teams. They probably put more pressure on their special teams than almost anyone in the league, but they almost always come through.

Moose
12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not putting blame on field position as much as TURNOVERS !! The 3 interceptions, fumble, and bone head penalties won't get a win. Sorry, but we lost the 49rs game ourselves in my opinion. That was a very winnable game if we would have played just decent football. We stunk the place up with a gimpy QB and a kicker who can't kick more than 35 yrds !!

mortgageman
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I said going into the game that we would win if we did not lose the special teams and turnover battle. We got killed in both areas. Another large problem last night was 3rd down defense. I couldn't believe how many times Alex Smith converted 3rd and longs. I think they're one of if not the worst 3rd down converting offense in the league too. It was pathetic. Those 3rd down conversions may not lead to scores, but it leads to pinning our offense deeper on our end of the field. I do not think the offense will be a huge issue, but the lack of pressure and forced turnovers is really becoming a major concern. We have done a little better as of late at home of causing some turnovers, but not on the road.

NCSteeler
12-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I said going into the game that we would win if we did not lose the special teams and turnover battle. We got killed in both areas. Another large problem last night was 3rd down defense. I couldn't believe how many times Alex Smith converted 3rd and longs. I think they're one of if not the worst 3rd down converting offense in the league too. It was pathetic. Those 3rd down conversions may not lead to scores, but it leads to pinning our offense deeper on our end of the field. I do not think the offense will be a huge issue, but the lack of pressure and forced turnovers is really becoming a major concern. We have done a little better as of late at home of causing some turnovers, but not on the road.

That has been a big problem all year

suitanim
12-21-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm not putting blame on field position as much as TURNOVERS !! The 3 interceptions, fumble, and bone head penalties won't get a win. Sorry, but we lost the 49rs game ourselves in my opinion. That was a very winnable game if we would have played just decent football. We stunk the place up with a gimpy QB and a kicker who can't kick more than 35 yrds !!

TO's are directly 100% related to field position. Our lack of creating them leaves us long fields to work with, and the oppositions ability to force US into turning the ball over leaves them short fields to work with. Since NFL defenses are predicated upon wearing offenses down by attrition, and making them execute play-after-play-after-play, it makes it a lot easier for them to score and a lot harder for us to.