PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' offensive line faces test vs. Niners

stillers4me
12-19-2011, 05:30 AM
The Steelers' oft-maligned, perpetually thin-skinned offensive linemen were somewhat testy after the final practice session for Monday night's nonconference showdown of playoff-bound teams at Candlestick Park.

The Steelers (10-3) linemen had heard enough about the San Francisco 49ers' league-leading run defense. After all, the line is a patched-up unit that routinely struggles against teams with heavy sluggers in the trenches such as Baltimore and Houston.

In the 49ers, the Steelers will square up against a defensive front that is the catalyst of a run defense that grudgingly concedes only 70 yards a game.

While the Steelers' offensive linemen chose not to engage in a verbal spat with the confident 49ers about the challenge they face, wide receiver Mike Wallace climbed into the ring for them.

"We'll do what we have to do," Wallace said. "We're not going to make a lot of changes. We've going to run at them, and it doesn't matter that they're the No. 1 run defense.

"They're going to have to own up to that. They've been No. 1 against everybody else, but they haven't played us.".........

Read more: Steelers' offensive line faces test vs. Niners - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772676.html#ixzz1gylTzeKL) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772676.html#ixzz1gylTzeKL

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I dont like Legursky vs Sopagoa matchup. And I am not too thrilled about the ability of either Essex or Foster's athletic ability to get to Willis and Bowman in the run game. Off tackle to the right behind Miller, Johnson, Gilbert might be the best bet on the ground

one side only
12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Despite Mike Wallace's proclamation, I seriously doubt the Steelers, "run right at them." Most likely, Ben is going to be the shotgun on every snap, to save wear and tear on his ankle. They will pass to set up the run.

7willBheaven
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I dont like Legursky vs Sopagoa matchup. And I am not too thrilled about the ability of either Essex or Foster's athletic ability to get to Willis and Bowman in the run game. Off tackle to the right behind Miller, Johnson, Gilbert might be the best bet on the ground

I heard that they wont have to worry about Willis as he is supposedly not playing tonight.

mortgageman
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I haven't seen the Niners play much at all this season. I think if we do not lose the turnover battle and dont give up big special teams plays, we should be fine.