PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey 'Not Expected' To Play, Roethlisberger May Miss Monday Night

polamalubeast
12-17-2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/17/2642360/nfl-week-15-ben-roethlisberger-maurkice-pouncey-injury-report-san-francisco-49ers-joe-staley

st33lersguy
12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Not good against the league's top ranked rush defense and that beastly front 7. The Steelers ansolutely cannot afford to have Piss Kemo play against this team. Plus with Batch likely to take a pounding, will Batch be able to play the rest of the game if he starts?

GBMelBlount
12-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I just don't want to see us limping into the playoffs...

Although admittedly Ben plays best at only 90% healthy. :huh:

suitanim
12-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Fuck.

Crow-Magnon
12-17-2011, 11:42 AM
If true, that's a real blow. I have no doubt Pittsburgh is going to the Playoffs as a WC, but this may put a nail in the chance at a division title.

Maybe. Watch Baltimore lose to San Diego and Cincinnati, while Batch wins against San Fran and St. Louis. Frankly, I would not be surprised in the least.

smokin3000gt
12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
I just assume keep Ben out until he is either healthy, or we can protect him. With Pouncey out, I feel less confident about Ben making it through the entire game if he did play.

The Duke
12-17-2011, 12:00 PM
If true, that's a real blow. I have no doubt Pittsburgh is going to the Playoffs as a WC, but this may put a nail in the chance at a division title.

Maybe. Watch Baltimore lose to San Diego and Cincinnati, while Batch wins against San Fran and St. Louis. Frankly, I would not be surprised in the least.

You don't sound too confident in your own ravens??

Crow-Magnon
12-17-2011, 12:13 PM
You don't sound too confident in your own ravens??

In this man's NFL, anything seems to be possible. I'm confident, but if it happened, I wouldn't say I hadn't thought about it.

steeldevil
12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
If Ravens lose, Ben should play. If Ravens win, Ben should sit.

Thats just me...

polamalubeast
12-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Thats just me...

A+

XxKnightxX
12-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Thats just me...

Exact same thoughts. Gotta just think long term and get into the playoffs healthy. With pouncey out though, Justin Smith is going to eat Kemo alive.

Chidi29
12-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Thats just me...

I'm not going to let what other teams do dictate my decisions.

If Ben is healthy enough to play and feels good enough in warm ups, play him. If not, he sits. Simple as that.

GBMelBlount
12-17-2011, 02:52 PM

If Ben is healthy enough to play and feels good enough in warm ups, play him. If not, he sits. Simple as that.

If things were only that simple Chidi...

Chidi29
12-17-2011, 02:55 PM
If things were only that simple Chidi...

But in this situation, they can be.

What are you going to tell Ben. "Yeah, you could play, but the Ravens won so we're just going to sit you out. You like sitting on the bench, right?"

steeldevil
12-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Well if he is healthy enough to play then he should play. I based my statement on the assumption he is 50/50. I honestly don't know where he stands. lol

86WARD
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Why not do the opposite? Ravens win, Ben plays. Ravens lose, Ben sits. Works that way as well...lol.

86WARD
12-17-2011, 03:30 PM

QFT...especially the Harblows...

fansince'76
12-17-2011, 03:32 PM

This.

steeldevil
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Well I think we can all agree that we want Tomlin to use the info from the doctors and watching Ben practice to make a decision that finds a good middle ground of trying to get the best playoff seed we can get WHILE ALSO making sure our starting QB is at his highest percentage of health possible going into the playoffs.

Its not an easy decision at all.... And what the Ravens do Sunday night does affect the decision IF Ben is 50/50 like I'm pretty sure he is.

86WARD
12-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has been ruled out of Monday night's game in San Francisco because of a left high ankle sprain. Doug Legursky will start in place of Pouncey. Saftey Troy Polamalu (hamstring) was a full participant in Saturday's practice and is listed as probable, as is right tackle Marcus Gilbert. Wide receiver Emmanuel Saunders (right foot), outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) are also out; wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Ben (ankle), CB CBrown (knee) are questionable.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11351/1197666-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

st33lersguy
12-17-2011, 06:04 PM
So now Piss Kemo will commit as many costly penalties as possible

GBMelBlount
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
But in this situation, they can be.

What are you going to tell Ben. "Yeah, you could play, but the Ravens won so we're just going to sit you out. You like sitting on the bench, right?"

Really?

What if the Ravens lose and Ben is borderline but they decide to play it safe to help ensure he is reasonably healthy for the playoffs. So they start Batch because they feel it may be too risky for Ben to play the entire game.

Now, there are 3:30 seconds left in the game and we are down 3-0 and have the ball on our 35 yard line. A score on this one drive would likely win the game put us up a game in our division and give us a strong possiblity of first seed, a bye and home field advantage through the playoffs.

At that point, when it was a judgement call to play it safe and not start him would you not consider putting him in for that ONE drive?

smokin3000gt
12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I would not. Receivers are in sync with Batch and not Ben at that point, not to mention Ben hasn't practiced at all and he'd be ice cold coming into the game. If Charley kept it a 3 point game, no reason to assume he couldn't at least get us within field goal range.

fansince'76
12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
So now Piss Kemo will commit as many costly penalties as possible

Essex will probably be starting: link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772272.html)

BlacknGoldBabe
12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Essex starting would be a blessing. Kemo could use a couple of splinters in his ass from riding the pine.

steelerdude15
12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Rest him for the playoffs.

Shoes
12-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Here's what will happen......Batch gets injured on the first play of the game.... DD gets hurt on the second play of the game.... H. Ward wins the game playing QB and wins out the season at that position. :chuckle:

tube517
12-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Essex starting would be a blessing. Kemo could use a couple of splinters in his ass from riding the pine.:faint:

While I agree that Kemo is in the doghouse and is a liability with his dumb mistakes, Essex being a "blessing" is scary

Steeldude
12-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Not good against the league's top ranked rush defense and that beastly front 7. The Steelers ansolutely cannot afford to have Piss Kemo play against this team. Plus with Batch likely to take a pounding, will Batch be able to play the rest of the game if he starts?

the steelers didn't run the ball against the 31st rush defense so why would they run it against the best?

Count Steeler
12-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Here's what will happen......Batch gets injured on the first play of the game.... DD gets hurt on the second play of the game.... H. Ward wins the game playing QB and wins out the season at that position. :chuckle:

Then he will have to complete some passes to himself to get to 1000. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-18-2011, 04:42 AM
the steelers didn't run the ball against the 31st rush defense so why would they run it against the best?

Because Arians believes we will execute this week.

Steeldude
12-18-2011, 05:14 AM

lol

steel striker
12-18-2011, 09:55 AM

I agree and, not to mention that the niners have not given up td on the ground all season. The rats did not even run well against the niners as well.

polamalubeast
12-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Charlie Batch

GBMelBlount
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM

By the way, here is the current take from Canfora at NFL.com

It is all about calculating risk vs return imo and that can change if Baltimore loses.

No decision on Big Ben; Steelers QB travels to San Francisco

The Steelers are continuing to monitor the health of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is nursing a sprained left ankle, according to a team source.

The team has yet to make a decision on Roethlisberger's status and the quarterback will travel with the team to San Francisco on Sunday ahead of Monday night's game.

If the Baltimore Ravens lose to San Diego Sunday night, there is a better chance Roethlisberger makes his way into the lineup, as the Steelers will then have a shot to take over first place in the AFC North. But even then Roethlisberger's status will likely be iffy until he sees how the ankle responds during pre-game warmups.

Roethlisberger was lmited in practice for the second straight day on Saturday. He is officially listed as questionable.

If Roethlisberger is ruled out, 37-year-old Charlie Batch will start. Roethlisberger has not missed a start due to injury in more than two years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8252665e/article/no-decision-on-big-ben-steelers-qb-travels-to-san-francisco?

Crow-Magnon
12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
If the Baltimore Ravens lose to San Diego Sunday night, there is a better chance Roethlisberger makes his way into the lineup, as the Steelers will then have a shot to take over first place in the AFC North. But even then Roethlisberger's status will likely be iffy until he sees how the ankle responds during pre-game warmups.

But if the Ravens win, then the Steelers have no shot? I don't follow the logic. I would think if the Ravens win, the Steelers have to win to keep pace. If the Ravens lose to San Diego, you rest Ben and hope Batch can get the W. St. Louis should be an easy W no matter who the QB is. Then you hope Baltimore wins in Cleveland (well, you hope they lose, but forget that) and drop the last game to a bitter Bengals team playing at home.

Hindes204
12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
But if the Ravens win, then the Steelers have no shot? I don't follow the logic. I would think if the Ravens win, the Steelers have to win to keep pace. If the Ravens lose to San Diego, you rest Ben and hope Batch can get the W. St. Louis should be an easy W no matter who the QB is. Then you hope Baltimore wins in Cleveland (well, you hope they lose, but forget that) and drop the last game to a bitter Bengals team playing at home.

Im right there with you crow, I dont get the logic of sitting him if the ravens win. We need to win out and hope for a Balt loss, whether its today or the last week against cincy. If Ben can go, we should play him, regardless of the outcome of the Ravens game.

Crow-Magnon
12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Maybe the thought is "Eff the division title. We're in as a WC, so let Ben rest." I can understand that thought process, but if I'm a Steelers fan, if there's a shot at the title, I want them to take it. I'd hate to see the Steelers win, and watch the Ravens sit out a key player and basically cede the division to Pittsburgh, just because they knew they had a wild card spot sewn up.

GBMelBlount
12-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Really? If you approach it based on calculated risks this makes perfect sense imho.

The two most important considerations right now are

1. Ben's health
2. Winning the AFC North title

- in that order.

If Baltimore wins, the chances of Pittsburgh winning the division markedly drop. So the risk vs. return of playing Ben is higher.

If the Baltimore loses we are IN first place and the possibility of winning the division greatly increases. Therefore the return vs. the risk is much better, so the likelihood of playing Ben could logically increase.

So if Baltimore lost, a logical strategy would be to start Batch, gauge the 49'ers, make adjustments and then strategically play Ben if necessary. This would possibly be the best combination of maximizing the chances of winning while trying to minimize the risk of prolonging or worsening his injury.

polamalubeast
12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
The Steelers will not win the division if the Ravens will win tonight.

If Ravens lose, you're playing Ben tomorrow, but if they win, you rest and we try to win the super bowl in the same way as in 2005.

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I say that we should just sit all of the starters Monday night and say 'Fuck you' to the NFL in their prime time game. Everyone that plays should have the number 92 on their shoes.

Rest everyone this game and use the last two to get ready for the playoffs.

7willBheaven
12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
The Steelers will not win the division if the Ravens will win tonight.

If Ravens lose, you're playing Ben tomorrow, but if they win, you rest and we try to win the super bowl in the same way as in 2005.

The Ravens can still loose ANY game they have left...regardless if its against a crappy team or not (Cincy is pretty good too remember). Thats just dumb to say that this is the last chance they have to win the division...unless of course you can see the future, haha.

The Duke
12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
The Ravens can still loose ANY game they have left...regardless if its against a crappy team or not (Cincy is pretty good too remember). Thats just dumb to say that this is the last chance they have to win the division...unless of course you can see the future, haha.

Exactly, no nfl team would virtually give up just because the other team is playing two bad teams

any given sunday

polamalubeast
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Roethlisberger's health is more important right now, especially if the Ravens will win tonight.

Psycho Ward 86
12-18-2011, 12:18 PM

:rofl2: :lol:

Edman
12-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I been knew Pouncey wouldn't play. Ben is going to go down to a game-time decision.

O'Malley
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Point is the Ravens win the Steelers can't catch them, and the Steelers already clinched a playoff spot... That's the point your missing.. Ravens win the 49ers game doesn't mean squat..

zulater
12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Point is the Ravens win the Steelers can't catch them, and the Steelers already clinched a playoff spot... That's the point your missing.. Ravens win the 49ers game doesn't mean squat..

Wrong!!! If the Steelers win out and the Ravens lose either of their last two games the Steelers are the AFC's #1 seed. And with the Bengals winning today, their season finale against the Ravens in Cincy will almost certainly be their key to a Wild Card berth in the playoffs. Remember the Ravens needed fortuitous officiating to beat the Bengals in Baltimore. That game is far from a given for them.

The decision to play or sit Ben should be based purely on the risk assessment of doing further damage to the ankle or potentially hindering the healing process to the point his play in the playoffs would be adversely affected.

Count Steeler
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Sure would be nice to have a back up that could manage the game and let Ben sit. If Ben plays, I hope we can build an early lead and let Batch/Dixon/Ward just finish out the game.

Also, we have to turn around and play next Saturday against St Louis. Short week. Thanks NFL.

O'Malley
12-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Moot point now, Steelers have a chance to win the AFC... I say play Ben and win!

Edman
12-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Ravens lost tonight. Give Ben some killers and play him.

suitanim
12-19-2011, 05:22 AM

With 10+ days and the importance of this game, I expect the opposite of the very vanilla gameplan against the Browns. From both LeBeau and Arians.

The planning will not be why we lose tonight if we do, it will be the same culprits as usual. Poor blocking, missed assignments, and dropped passes...