PDA

View Full Version : Steeler draft needs, from least to greatest.

zulater
12-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I know it's early, we still have 3 games left and hopefully a fruitful postseason to follow. But it's never too early to do a little draft speculating. So here's my early take on what positions the Steelers should and shouldn't address in the draft and why. Starting with the position's that least should be addressed by the draft.

Punter. I shouldn't even have to say this, as you should probably never draft a punter. But being the Steelers have a recent history of doing so, the 3rd round no les :doh: and said punter is probably at the end of his Steelers career, it at least can be sensibly addressed. Jeremey Kapinos is a big time punter. He's kicking every bit as good as Sepuvelda ever did. So we have no need at punter.

Rb. The league and Arians have de-emphasized the running game to the point that i don't think you should even think about drafting a rb before the 4th round even if your current situation isn't especially good. But to the Steelers credit they have quite a stockpile of able young ( and old) backs and there's no current need to acquire a rb at all.

wr. The Steelers have two of the best young receivers in the league in Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace. Emanuel Sanders has had a bad season due to injuries and personal tragedy, but I still think he could prove to be a real good one. Jeremy Cotchery hopefully will be brought back. So there's 4 that could play for anyone right there. But it is a passing league, and that's what the Steelers do best, so drafting a wr in the later rounds makes sense. Even if for nothing more than special teams play.

TE. Heath Miller is elite, but getting older. But still I think he's good for at least 3 more years. Wesley Saunders could develop into a decent pass catching tight end. I think the kid has good upside. David Johnson has developed into a stud blocking tight end, so that's covered. In other words, we have 3 NFL caliber tight ends that cover every end of the spectrum as far as what the Steelers require from the position. No need to use a draft pick here.

Qb. We need a legimate back up for Ben. But I don't foresee or want the Steelers to use a pick, or at least one before the 5th round to address this need. Better to go after a veteran free agent along the lines of Jason Cambell for Ben's back up.

Kicker. We do need to replace Suisham, we just don't need to use a draft pick to do it.

CB. I can't believe it, for the first time I can remember this isn't a position of great need! Ike should have a few good years left. Gay is coming into his own. Keenan Lewis looks as if he has starters ability. Cortez Allen could be a gem. And Curtis Brown is a tremendous athlete and could be the guy who eventually replaces Ike as our stopper! Obviously in this pass happy league you can never have too many guys who can cover, but for once I think we can go into a draft pretty comfortable with our returning veterans.

DE. Having used 1st round picks two of the last 3 years on DE's, with both appearing to be winners, and with Keisel showing no sign of dropping off there's no great need for a DE this year.

After these positions the Steelers could sensibly use their premium picks on any of the other positions. Though of course some have higher priority than others. I'll address those later.

But at the end of the day I think we go into the offseason in pretty good shape. Having these positions relatively stable really gives you the chance to properly address the positions where your need is greatest.

zulater
12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
OLB is next on my list. But with Harrison getting older and being suspension prone, and with the Steelers defensive system being so dependent on a high level of play from their OLB's you can't rule out using a premium pick here. I do have to admit that Worlids play of late has alleviated much of my concern over this position going forward.

The Duke
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Great list Zu. But defensive line could really use some depth in the later rounds with Aaron and Hoke (likely) retiring

and you could still add TE there. Saunders and DJ are very young still, and some competition wouldn't harm them. Don't want them getting too comfortable like I saw DJ in preseason. Besides, they always carry a tight end on the practice squad, so using a 6th round pick or so wouldn't hurt

other than that, seems like the team is very deep except at some obvious positions. Most of the good quarterbacks have risen their stock out of our reach by now

st33lersguy
12-17-2011, 11:17 AM
To me the 3 most pressing needs are NT, OL, and ILB

Count Steeler
12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
You may have to start considering a Safety as well. Mundy is an adequate back up, but with Troy, you just never know if he is going to last physically.

zulater
12-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Next on my list...

OT. This is a tough one to call, because I can't anticipate the Steelers plans. For example, is there any chance they can bring back Max Starks for another season? Will they even try for that matter? I hope they do, but being as he's going to be an unrestricted free agent, and given the level of his play this season, he might have played himself into a contract the Steelers are unwilling to match? But then again given Max's history who is going to give him what he wants? And just as significant, if Max earns himself a nice signing bonus, will he get fat and happy? An unmotivated Max has been known to be a very mediocre Max, and it's hard to gauge where things will end up with him?

So assuming this is it for Max and the Steelers. That would suggest that they believe Marcus Gilbert can be their left tackle of the present and future. And while I would prefer he stay at RT for one more season, I can see where this would probably work. Now as far as RT goes, my guess is that Willie Colon will be the plan. Now obviously some will be uncomfortable with that given his recent injury history, but to me those injuries were unrelated, therefore not likely to be chronic in nature. In fact this years injury might turn out to be a blessing by giving Colon's, Achilles time to heal completely. If they're medical staff feels that Colon can return to 2009 form then there's no reason to draft a OT early. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the cut Colon and moved in another direction altogether. :noidea:

So in the end it comes down to this. If you find a way to bring back Max, and you keep Willie, then no need to draft a tackle in the first 2 rounds. Maybe not even before the 4th round. But if you allow either to walk then you have to consider a tackle with a first day pick. Let both go and you have no choice but to draft a tackle early.

I hope they bring them both back so we can use our first 3 picks elsewhere, unless there's some tackle too good to be true left on the board.

zulater
12-17-2011, 01:18 PM
You may have to start considering a Safety as well. Mundy is an adequate back up, but with Troy, you just never know if he is going to last physically.

We're getting there. :thumbsup:

What we have left by process of elimination is NT, interior OL, ( Guard and center), ILB, and safety.

XxKnightxX
12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I know this is wishful thinking, but with the news of Matt Kahlil coming out early, I wish the steelers find a way to trade up for him. I know its virtually impossible since he will most likely be a top 10 pick. But I think its time we show some love to Offense this season, so I say we draft Guards, NT , Safety, Tight end, QB, and depth for DEs

zulater
12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Next on my list.

Interior OL. I lump both guard and center into this, not because I think there should be any thought to replacing Pouncey. But if there's a center out there that's worth taking early you could always slide him over to guard, or if he can't adapt I suppose there's an outside chance you could move Pouncey to guard. Hell I suppose there's even an argument to be made that Pouncey would be less vulnerable to ankle sprains at guard? Anyway regardless we need an infusion of talent at guard.

Kemo's history, as in gone! . There's not even a snowball in hell's chance he'll be on the roster next year imo. Legursky offers great depth and imo has more value as a swing man than a starter. But some may disagree, Steelers included? Foster is improving, and I would be ok with him continuing to start at right guard. But boy how great would it be if we got the next Alan Faneca to play left guard in the first few rounds of the draft? Bottom line this is an area of great need. But not the greatest need. So if the BPA is a guard in either the first or second round you'd have to be tempted to take him.

zulater
12-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I know this is wishful thinking, but with the news of Matt Kahlil coming out early, I wish the steelers find a way to trade up for him. I know its virtually impossible since he will most likely be a top 10 pick. But I think its time we show some love to Offense this season, so I say we draft Guards, NT , Safety, Tight end, QB, and depth for DEs

Very logical. But from what I'm seeing we'll go defense early and often in the draft. We need immediate help up the middle on all three levels of D.

zulater
12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
To finish my list we'll start at NT. Though there's no clear cut choice between the remaining positions imo.

NT. While Casey is obviously nearing the end he's still pretty good. Hoke may or may not come back from his injury? Probably best to assume he wont. But the reason I don't see this as the Steelers greatest draft day priority is Steve McClendon is playing some pretty good football. So in my opinion Hampton and McClendon can get the job done for another season or two. But if the right guy falls to you at that position I don't know how you could pass him up. In my opinion it's almost a 3 way jump ball for greatest draft day need between safety, ILB, and NT in fact.

Safety. Troy Polamalu will be a 10 year veteran next season. Ryan Clark will be going into his 11th NFL season. Ryan Mundy is much improved, but is ever going to be a guy you're comfortable starting? With Troy's injury issues, and Ryan Clark's advancing age this is a position of great need. Often times safety is undervalued around the league, and in some defensive systems it's just not as relevant, so it's not uncommon that a real good one can slip late into the 1st round. So there's a good chance you can fit value and need in the same choice.

zulater
12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Last and least ( since we're going in reverse order :heh:) we come to ILB.

Lawrence Timmons is a solid if not spectacular player who should just be coming into his prime. Larry Foote will probably be brought back for another season as the primary back up. He certainly seems to do the job that he's asked to. Which brings us to James Farrior. Farrior's a marvel the way he continues to defy father time. But there has been perceptible slippage in his play. 2012 will be his 16th season if he comes back. Maybe you can squeeze another year out of him, but you can't expect to get much more out of him. The Steelers need to find Farrior's replacement sooner rather than later. It would be great if we could replace Farrior with an unrestricted free agent, which is how we got him in the first place. But failing that we'll be forced to draft his replacement with a high pick.

steelreserve
12-17-2011, 03:52 PM
NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE

Then a backup QB. Then maybe ILB or safety. After that, I don't care.

Pristas
12-17-2011, 08:02 PM
NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE NOSE TACKLE

Don't be surprised if Batch has a great game. When he has time to prepare with first team for a week plus a few days (Thursday to MNF), he can play really well because they have time to run a system designed for his abilities.

zulater
12-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Don't be surprised if Batch has a great game. When he has time to prepare with first team for a week plus a few days (Thursday to MNF), he can play really well because they have time to run a system designed for his abilities.

Or lack thereof. :heh:

7willBheaven
12-17-2011, 11:19 PM
I know it's early, we still have 3 games left and hopefully a fruitful postseason to follow. But it's never too early to do a little draft speculating. So here's my early take on what positions the Steelers should and shouldn't address in the draft and why. Starting with the position's that least should be addressed by the draft.

Punter. I shouldn't even have to say this, as you should probably never draft a punter. But being the Steelers have a recent history of doing so, the 3rd round no les :doh: and said punter is probably at the end of his Steelers career, it at least can be sensibly addressed. Jeremey Kapinos is a big time punter. He's kicking every bit as good as Sepuvelda ever did. So we have no need at punter.

Rb. The league and Arians have de-emphasized the running game to the point that i don't think you should even think about drafting a rb before the 4th round even if your current situation isn't especially good. But to the Steelers credit they have quite a stockpile of able young ( and old) backs and there's no current need to acquire a rb at all.

wr. The Steelers have two of the best young receivers in the league in Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace. Emanuel Sanders has had a bad season due to injuries and personal tragedy, but I still think he could prove to be a real good one. Jeremy Cotchery hopefully will be brought back. So there's 4 that could play for anyone right there. But it is a passing league, and that's what the Steelers do best, so drafting a wr in the later rounds makes sense. Even if for nothing more than special teams play.

TE. Heath Miller is elite, but getting older. But still I think he's good for at least 3 more years. Wesley Saunders could develop into a decent pass catching tight end. I think the kid has good upside. David Johnson has developed into a stud blocking tight end, so that's covered. In other words, we have 3 NFL caliber tight ends that cover every end of the spectrum as far as what the Steelers require from the position. No need to use a draft pick here.

Qb. We need a legimate back up for Ben. But I don't foresee or want the Steelers to use a pick, or at least one before the 5th round to address this need. Better to go after a veteran free agent along the lines of Jason Cambell for Ben's back up.

Kicker. We do need to replace Suisham, we just don't need to use a draft pick to do it.

CB. I can't believe it, for the first time I can remember this isn't a position of great need! Ike should have a few good years left. Gay is coming into his own. Keenan Lewis looks as if he has starters ability. Cortez Allen could be a gem. And Curtis Brown is a tremendous athlete and could be the guy who eventually replaces Ike as our stopper! Obviously in this pass happy league you can never have too many guys who can cover, but for once I think we can go into a draft pretty comfortable with our returning veterans.

DE. Having used 1st round picks two of the last 3 years on DE's, with both appearing to be winners, and with Keisel showing no sign of dropping off there's no great need for a DE this year.

After these positions the Steelers could sensibly use their premium picks on any of the other positions. Though of course some have higher priority than others. I'll address those later.

But at the end of the day I think we go into the offseason in pretty good shape. Having these positions relatively stable really gives you the chance to properly address the positions where your need is greatest.

Sep was a 4th round pick. And who is Jeremy Cotchery? haha ;-)

steelreserve
12-17-2011, 11:38 PM

He's had about one good game in the past 4 years, and that was against a team that was not very good. And even then, he completed 12 passes and half his yardage came from two moonballs that Wallace did his best 1998 Randy Moss imitation to come down with. Overall, he has a lousy completion percentage, throws about as many interceptions as touchdowns, gets no zip on the ball and generally has numbers like Maddox or Kordell Stewart. I am not confident at all.

Chidi29
12-17-2011, 11:49 PM
The only "needs" that are glaring right now exist at guard. Coming into the year, I thought it'd be RG with the rotation we've had for the past two years but now it's clearly LG. Foster may be worth upgrading and his pass protection has started to crack the past few weeks especially, but he's done an impressive enough job that I won't die if he is there next season.

Other than that, we can have a BPA heavy approach. The best one to have.

Steeltreal
12-18-2011, 12:35 AM

If Bruce Arians middle name starts with a P I disagree

zulater
12-18-2011, 05:18 AM
The only "needs" that are glaring right now exist at guard. Coming into the year, I thought it'd be RG with the rotation we've had for the past two years but now it's clearly LG. Foster may be worth upgrading and his pass protection has started to crack the past few weeks especially, but he's done an impressive enough job that I won't die if he is there next season.

Right now can change in a hurry in the NFL. While I agree that the most immediate need is left guard, not finding Polamalu and Farrior's eventual successor could end up having a more critical impact in the long haul.

That said I'd be delighted if they use their first round pick for a stud left guard.

Ideally with their first 3 picks, in no particular order I would like to see them draft an ILB, a LG, and a safety.

As far as Foster's pass blocking the last couple games. Remember he injured his ankle a couple weeks ago and came out ( maybe the Chiefs game?) and there was thought he wouldn't play the next week. In other words I think his performance is probably being impacted by his injury, but to his credit he's playing through the pain. As you said, I've got to the point where I can live with Foster as the right guard.

Steeldude
12-18-2011, 05:29 AM
the steelers need OL, DL, LB and a safety.(not in any order)

GBMelBlount
12-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Zu, first let me say that your thoughtful analysis has made this thread one of the most enjoyable I have read in a while.

Absolutely first rate. However I am going to go the other direction here...

We are an offensive line away from being the best team in the NFL.

With a top 3 offense and a top 3 defense we will be talked about like the packers are this year and we must better protect our most valuable asset....Ben.

I would love to see a stud Guard / Tackle first round and perhaps a 2nd lineman early as well if there is a steal left on the board.

zulater
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Zu, first let me say that your thoughtful analysis has made this thread one of the most enjoyable I have read in a while.

Absolutely first rate. However I am going to go the other direction here...

We are an offensive line away from being the best team in the NFL.

With a top 3 offense and a top 3 defense we will be talked about like the packers are this year and we must better protect our most valuable asset....Ben.

I would love to see a stud Guard / Tackle first round and perhaps a 2nd lineman early as well if there is a steal left on the board.

Thanks GB. Nice to know I'm not just rambling on to myself here. :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Every year, all people say is OL, OL, OL, OL over and over. Guess what? If we used a first-round pick on the OL every year, people still would say being we need to address the OL. Too many positions and too much salary cap pressure to be excellent across the board there. We'll get to the OL when a good opportunity presents itself; if not, then we won't. Get used to it.

zulater
12-18-2011, 06:46 PM

What is it exactly you're trying to say here? :huh:

:wink02:

:

Chidi29
12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Right now can change in a hurry in the NFL. While I agree that the most immediate need is left guard, not finding Polamalu and Farrior's eventual successor could end up having a more critical impact in the long haul.

That said I'd be delighted if they use their first round pick for a stud left guard.

Ideally with their first 3 picks, in no particular order I would like to see them draft an ILB, a LG, and a safety.

As far as Foster's pass blocking the last couple games. Remember he injured his ankle a couple weeks ago and came out ( maybe the Chiefs game?) and there was thought he wouldn't play the next week. In other words I think his performance is probably being impacted by his injury, but to his credit he's playing through the pain. As you said, I've got to the point where I can live with Foster as the right guard.

Sure, I'm all for getting a successor if one is available but that's the thiing, if one is available. No need to reach for one or force a selection at a specific position if there isn't a player worth taking.

Good point about Foster.

tube517
12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
OG, NT, ILB, S

steelreserve
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Thing about offensive guards is: Rather than draft one and wait 2-3 years for him to be starting, there's always some average to above-average free agent guard on the market for the same amount of money we're paying Kemo (this would not be the case with tackles). And if we drafted a guard, we'd probably end up signing someone like that anyway in the meantime. Or be stuck with Kemo in the meantime.

JayC
12-18-2011, 08:31 PM
To me the 3 most pressing needs are NT, OL, and ILB.

but if a steal of the draft/good player falls i would have no problem addressing an area we dont have issues in

Chidi29
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Thing about offensive guards is: Rather than draft one and wait 2-3 years for him to be starting, there's always some average to above-average free agent guard on the market for the same amount of money we're paying Kemo (this would not be the case with tackles). And if we drafted a guard, we'd probably end up signing someone like that anyway in the meantime. Or be stuck with Kemo in the meantime.

After Evans mega-deal, 7/56/12, the price will go up a good bit from here on out.

Not that any guard will get that much because Evans is elite, but it's going to skyrocket the asking price.